• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Sorry, I don't spend my social life on this forum, so I really don't know how many times its been said. Pretty retarded how you can't figure out the point I'm making. Maybe you should get off the forums and go take some courses, bro.

Again, you didn't make a point. Why do I need to "take courses"? I'm pretty sure you're the one having trouble elucidating.

I'm not super passionate about it or anything, but I disagree with the bolded. The entire arc I described goes out the window once you say Forerunner are this mutating race of humanoids at war with ancient humans. That's not what Bungie's story was about. Dunno, I just found Bungie's story to be something tragic and sweeping, with some nice symmetry to it, while 343's is just convoluted. Some of this might be my residual distaste from the first two Forerunner trilogy books I read, as much as from the game itself.

I agree Bungie didn't leave 343 a lot of places to take the Chief's story. They did a decent job wrapping up the human-Covenant war and the fight with the Flood. Though they kind of threw 343 a bone with the Legendary ending. I think there are some interesting directions that could have gone without revisiting/revising the history of the Forerunner, though.

I'm also probably one of the people you're describing who didn't get that deep into the campaign story. I was one and done with it, and have yet to see any of the terminals. With Bungie's story and game design, I enjoyed discovering all the details on repeated play throughs. With Halo 4 I disliked what I experienced so much I just kind of walked away. I realize that means I have a more superficial understanding of the story they told, so my ability to really engage on story discussions is limited. I was just turned off by the direction it went, and disliked the gameplay greatly.

Real talk: the Terminals were my favorite part of the entire Campaign, even above encounters and everything. I would give them a try and see if it helps at all.

Sorry, I don't spend my social life on this forum, so I really don't know how many times its been said. Pretty retarded how you can't figure out the point I'm making. Maybe you should get off the forums and go take some courses, bro.

birdwithbiceps.jpg

Chumpfu and NoSocialLifeWife. Get rocked.

29bDi.gif

I guess you could say ignorance was bliss
ful
in this case.

boooooooooooooooooooooooo

LOL I knowwwwwww..... had to try man ;\

Blissful

Neo Member
Again, you didn't make a point. Why do I need to "take courses"? I'm pretty sure you're the one having trouble elucidating.

O wow, your vocabulary suddenly got better. I wouldn't have been able to tell that you were educated, since your level of intelligence is hidden, and can only be viewed on halowaypoint.com

GhaleonEB

Real talk: the Terminals were my favorite part of the entire Campaign, even above encounters and everything. I would give them a try and see if it helps at all.
I will someday. I've actually been meaning to, but just haven't gotten around to it. Curiosity will tip me over one of these days. Thanks for the recommendation.

Anyone wanna help test doubles? We need someone who's pretty good. Message me: TashiGAF
what's pretty good? I have a 1.45 k/d.

Anyway, I'm at this game's mercy right now. Nothing but JIP games. If anyone wants to team up, please send a FR.

Panda Owning Em.

Tawpgun

Cross posting from CoD thread because its relevant for Halo's issues.

There is a skill to be decent at Quake. It's pretty high.

There is a skill to be decent at Halo. It takes some time, but you'll get there.

There is a skill to be decent at Halo. It's pretty easy.

That's how I felt learning to play these games. I could hold my own in quake matches eventually but got WRECKED when I first tried. At my peak quake skill I was barely breaking a 1 k/d.

I was pretty bad at Halo when I started, coming from PC I was like wat is console aiming. Maybe it helped that I started on Halo CE for PC, so I knew the basics, but it still took me a while before I got decent at Halo. I hit decency toward the end of Halo 2. Was only rank 16... In Halo 3 I got better. Ended up hitting rank 47. Could have probably hit 50 if I didn't get rank locked. In Reach, despite not liking it too much, my skill really shined because Reach ruined BTB, my favorite gamemode, so I was forced to play the more competetive 4 v 4 playlists, played with some good skilled friends and we donged every night. I'd say im pretty well above the average Halo player now. I feel confident 1 v 1ing anyone irl.

But CoD? I played CoD for the first time at a friends house, this is CoD4 by the way, and I was going positive by the end of the day. In Halo, when you start out, you probably won't even get a kill if you're playing competent people. In CoD you can get a kill so long as you know how to aim in a console shooter and you get the drop on a guy.

But this isn't bout the base gameplay of each shooter.

This is about the systems put into place in these games, this is where CoD ruined FPS's. The big "casualizer" in Halo was the slower speed and recharging shield. It became a staple of FPS's. But everyone was still on equal footing. Sure the game was easier than Quake, but it was FAIR. In team situations, it came down to who had better teamwork. In one on one situations it came down to who was a better player. In CoD, someone could beat you if they had a better gun, or go lucky with a no scope. In CoD you could put perks on your person so everyone had different abilities and you never knew what you were up against. How did that guy kill me so fast! Stopping power. How did that guy not die! Juggernaut. Why didn't I see that guy on Radar! Cold Blooded.

Not only this, but it had this super annoying Rich get richer scheme. High level players got access to more guns and more abilities. Oh, Johnny Quikscopes here is wrecking everyone? Lets give him a Harrier Jet! An attack chopper, an AC130! In Halo, you had to fight over every advantage, vehicles, power weapons, power ups, etc. Same with Quake. In CoD they were given to you and they gave you more kills so you could unlock a better killstreak to get MORE kills with. Oh man, getting Nukes in MW2 was laughably easy. I didn't own CoD4 or World at War, but I got a nuke within my first couple games in MW2.

And this kinda bullshit started to infect EVERYTHING. Even Halo. Reach launched and now power ups were removed from maps and you started with an ability. You never know someone had armor lock until they armor locked on you. Now some people could traverse the map better than you could with Jetpack, or could move around the map faster with sprint. Active Camo, something you used to FIGHT over in Halo 1-3 was now a button press on demand.

Then Halo 4 went full CoD and introduced Personal Ordnance (killstreaks), timing power weapons was removed in favor of random power weapons dropping at random locations. Ok that wasn't from CoD, it was just a stupid move. AND THEY ADDED PERKS. AND CUSTOM LOADOUTS. Now you don't know if that guy around the corner has the pocket shotgun you can spawn with or not. Now you don't know how many rockets that guy has because he could have an ammo perk. Now someone can reload faster than you, can recharge shields faster than you, etc.

Fucking bullshit. Bring back fairness in FPS.

Blissful

Neo Member
Jesus Christ just shut the fuck up.

Why do you even bother jumping in? How can I "shut the fuck up" if you keep fueling more attention to what I say. Fucking moron lol

since I got 4 people salty, I will stop now and hope that the community goes back to talking about Halo fan fiction and other shit.

Ghazi

Why do you even bother jumping in? How can I "shut the fuck up" if you keep fueling more attention to what I say. Fucking moron lol

since I got 4 people salty, I will stop now and hope that the community goes back to talking about Halo fan fiction and other shit.
tumblr_m7h6zgH3wD1rtybbi.gif

Duji

Cross posting from CoD thread because its relevant for Halo's issues.

To you, I respond with the greatest HaloGAF post of all time:

I get bored with predictability. The most skilled players dominate every game and it's not fun.

IMO Halo 4 is a return to form but with a new shiny gloss. As I've said before, I haven't been this excited about Halo multiplayer since Halo 2.

I am now happily 343's bitch.

Ramirez

Also, Tomb Raider is the shit. The pacing, combat, puzzles, practically everything about the game is awesome. Has the best camera work of any game I've ever played, does such a good job of making everything look cinematic.

I'm enjoying it more than any of the Uncharted games, and it takes a lot of stuff from them, but I feel it does it all better.

Man, Portal 2 was such a triumph in story for video games. It wasn't some convoluted mess - it was simple, funny and engaging and had interesting characters. I never had to leave the game to experience/understand the narrative.

I just played through Portal 2 the other day. So good. Cave Johnson even called scientists eggheads!

I'm not super passionate about it or anything, but I disagree with the bolded. The entire arc I described goes out the window once you say Forerunner are this mutating race of humanoids at war with ancient humans. That's not what Bungie's story was about. Dunno, I just found Bungie's story to be something tragic and sweeping, with some nice symmetry to it, while 343's is just convoluted. Some of this might be my residual distaste from the first two Forerunner trilogy books I read, as much as from the game itself.

I agree Bungie didn't leave 343 a lot of places to take the Chief's story. They did a decent job wrapping up the human-Covenant war and the fight with the Flood. Though they kind of threw 343 a bone with the Legendary ending. I think there are some interesting directions that could have gone without revisiting/revising the history of the Forerunner, though.

I'm also probably one of the people you're describing who didn't get that deep into the campaign story. I was one and done with it, and have yet to see any of the terminals. With Bungie's story and game design, I enjoyed discovering all the details on repeated play throughs. With Halo 4 I disliked what I experienced so much I just kind of walked away. I realize that means I have a more superficial understanding of the story they told, so my ability to really engage on story discussions is limited. I was just turned off by the direction it went, and disliked the gameplay greatly.
Agreed, and I'll add that personally, I was inherently disappointed with Halo 4's narrative direction given the set up of drifting towards a forerunner planet with everyone thinking Chief is dead and Cortana facing impending rampancy. That set up turning into fighting the Covenant most of the game (with the reasoning for that not explained in-game) and dealing with the breading ground for dull and dumb characters UNSC was very disappointing.

A game of Chief and Cortana isolated from the Covenant and UNSC, uncovering and facing new threats (it could have been the Didact threat), along with dealing with Cortana's rampancy would have been a much more appealing narrative and gameplay direction for the game in my opinion.
That's the problem though, the content in the terminals was critical to the Halo 4 narrative and had no business being hidden away in terminals.
Tawpgun, I'm laughing at you wasting time writing that huge post.
We all are.

RIP Tawpgun

Also, Tomb Raider is the shit. The pacing, combat, puzzles, practically everything about the game is awesome. Has the best camera work of any game I've ever played, does such a good job of making everything look cinematic.

I'm enjoying it more than any of the Uncharted games, and it takes a lot of stuff from them, but I feel it does it all better.

I'm pissed.. Realized the other day my order got canceled from the Microsoft Store because the name I had was UNKNOWN iXi instead of my real name............

If MICROSOFT doesn't know who UNKNOWN iXi is, then who would?! So much ass cuz I missed out on the free 1600 points too. I use my GT for so many other sites and this is the first time it happened ;'[

FML

hFBoQ.gif

Enjoying it more than the uncharted games? Fascinating. Will look into this.

IHaveIce

Banned
SO another group bashing at HaloGAF nothing new, seems like people can't be happy here except they find a new one to jump all together on and only quit if he gets banned.

And the CoD shooter thread is a joke.

Top Bottom