• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Aggrotek

Its very simple, sports do this already. All of them. They use players individual statistics to rate how good they are. Players on bad teams are still considered good players. Players who win championships usually have a very good team concept and dept and it doesnt need to be coded into them like the mattix. If GMs and coaches can figure this out, so can brainiac coders.

So the managers of sports teams have to explicitly tell the public that winning is good and losing is bad right?

orznge

Banned
if I am in a ranked team game, and doing a thing that ruins the experience for my teammates makes my rank go up, I will do it 100% of the time without hesitation

So the managers of sports teams have to explicitly tell the public that winning is good and losing is bad right?

No, they make them belive in their role on the team. Its not about winning the game, its about winning the fight youll have whether ur a 4th line guy who plays 10 minutes or the guy whos in every situation for 25. Know your role. That isnt coded. A selfish individual is almost always selfish.

Get off your couch once in a while and go play some sports.

Madness

I wish BS Angel would join HaloGAF... If only because she'd have more time to speak with fans of the series, and because her and Bravo are sort of the only lifeline we have with regards to the community, much like Urk posts sometimes.

I don't think anyone would be disrespectful and I'm sure she's had worse tweeted at her.

stephen08

People cared. It just did not get the same amount of attention other playlists had in terms of an update. Arena was barley updated and players would have to wait ages until one came along. Also, it took forever for Bungie to change back to having it based on pure W/L.

Arena was set up in such a way that it couldn't be drastically altered until a season was complete. Win/Loss was made the only factor for the March 2011 season which was about 6 months after release. But anyway, my point isn't that Arena was good. It is that it provided a more accurate reading on a skill level than 1-50 and accounted for things like rank lock, and people being shitheads about their ranks.

It was not as successful. What does that tell you?

Aggrotek

No, they make them belive in their role on the team. Its not about winning the game, its about winning the fight youll have whether ur a 4th line guy who plays 10 minutes or the guy whos in every situation for 25. Know your role. That isnt coded. A selfish individual is almost always selfish.

Get off your couch once in a while and go play some sports.

Um, it is about the win. Tell this to the NCAA. And thanks for the Ad Hominem. Appreciated.

I wish BS Angel would join HaloGAF... If only because she'd have more time to speak with fans of the series, and because her and Bravo are sort of the only lifeline we have with regards to the community, much like Urk posts sometimes.

I don't think anyone would be disrespectful and I'm sure she's had worse tweeted at her.

Imagine the shit she would get directed towards her. No chance.

Wait how did one rank up in Halo 2? It never actually told me so I have no idea!!! Oh wait I won my first game and went from 1 to 2. NM I figured it out.

heckfu

Banned
Wait how did one rank up in Halo 2? It never actually told me so I have no idea!!! Oh wait I won my first game and went from 1 to 2. NM I figured it out.

I'm confused how you rank up in Halo 4. There is no description on how many credits I get per game can someone help I'm 12.

Madness

Imagine the shit she would get directed towards her. No chance.

But it wouldn't really be personal attacks no? And because she's probably gotten worse tweeted at her by randoms. If anything, it's a better line for community feedback. She doesn't have to post here 24/7, just saying it'd be nice to have her post and see some of our feedback.

Um, it is about the win. Tell this to the NCAA. And thanks for the Ad Hominem. Appreciated.

Wanting to win doesnt make a hog whose talented any less of a hog. You need to join a real team and actually see how it works when there isnt a tv screen seperating you from them.

Aggrotek

Wanting to win doesnt make a hog whose talented any less of a hog. You need to join a real team and actually see how it works when there isnt a tv screen seperating you from them.

No. You don't. You said the people playing the game would have no idea that winning is good. This is bullshit. And you are now talking about something completely irrelevant to this fact.

Everyone knows winning is good, and losing is bad. It's everywhere in life. War. Film. Love. Ect. It's just a basic fundamental idea. If someone doesn't know this, then they are too young to read and comprehend basic thematic elements.

You're directly contradicting yourself in that last part.

No. You don't. You said the people playing the game would have no idea that winning is good. This is bullshit. And you are now talking about something completely irrelevant to this fact.

Everyone knows winning is good, and losing is bad. It's everywhere in life. War. Film. Love. Ect. It's just a basic fundamental idea. If someone doesn't know this, then they are too young to read and comprehend basic thematic elements.

Yes but not everyone knows how its accomplished. If someone with talent believes "if he has the ball youll win" is the best solution, he'll always hog the ball. Wanting to win doesnt equal success. I dont know how else to make you understand that concept.

You said the people playing the game would have no idea that winning is good. This is bullshit.

NSTTPmh.gif

We also would have accepted ifyourenotfirstyourelast.gif and happylearnedtoputt.jpg

Wouldn't be a panel if there wasn't a bad question.

Also I am taking a hiatus from posting this thread. It's a Halo community thread, but it's also one of the most negative places on gaf outside of the NBA thread and it's pretty difficult to have a conversation or even see a meaningful one happen with the troll hobbyists. I will continue to pay attention to criticism and ideas, but it's more and more counterproductive to be in here for the moment. There are a few people in here who would be banned anywhere else on gaf and a few people who I have to even wonder what they're doing in here.

HaloGaf can be rough, even when they jump all over me I can't deny they are the most passionate Halo players around. I wish you wouldn't go, they are freaking because this panel proves you guys are taking Halo into a direction they don't like.

It will also appear front and center on your phone and we have been very clear about the how and why of this. If we put it in the game we massively incentivize cheating and abuse. You guys all know this. If you want to know your relative skill you can now see it at a glance. If you want e-peen comparison it is far from perfect.

I like you Frankie but this is a cop out for a design choice you guys are making. Why display SR ranks then? A true 50 takes a ton of work, team work.

It's negative because 343 and Certain Affinity aren't living up to the standards of Bungie pre-Reach.

Take some initiative. You are the Franchise Development Director of Halo.

I wonder if he plays the game socially? Nobody is mic'd. There is zero team work. Again like many have said. This isn't a bad game, it's a bad Halo game. I don't like his response to this, its like they just don't want to hear it.

Ghazi

Even Ghandi's stream chat is arguing about ranks right now. I don't know whether to think that this whole fiasco has been blown out of proportion or if it's something that should have just been in the game.

heckfu

Banned
Rank up by picking the correct upsets. THE RIGHT TEAMS ARENT WINNING TODAY! AHHHH!!! I need a drink.

I wish we could all be at the same bar watching our brackets turn into shit. Misery loves company.

Even Ghandi's stream chat is arguing about ranks right now. I don't know whether to think that this whole fiasco has been blown out of proportion or if it's something that should have just been in the game.

No ranks = people bitch
Ranks on waypoint = people bitch
Game exists = people bitch
bitchbitchbitch

But it wouldn't really be personal attacks no? And because she's probably gotten worse tweeted at her by randoms. If anything, it's a better line for community feedback. She doesn't have to post here 24/7, just saying it'd be nice to have her post and see some of our feedback.

They have our feedback. They have had it since the game leaked. They answered us we just aren't listening. The Halo game we want is not coming back. Not in 5, not ever.

Aggrotek

I wish we could all be at the same bar watching our brackets turn into shit. Misery loves company.

No ranks = people bitch
bitchbitchbitch

Babble babble bitch bitch, don't forget the violence.

Madness

I think the biggest misconception, is that only pros or nerds comparing about e-peens care about ranks.

I want ranks because I want to see how good I am. Just like everything else in life, I want to know if I am good at the game or not.

It's not a chore playing ranked, it's just as fun, but it means something.

EDIT: In all fairness, I thought about it, and while I'd still prefer your OWN rank be visible in-game, having ranks available on waypoint is better than not having them at all. At this point, you're either going to play the game or you're not. Even with the issues, I find myself having decent fun in extraction 1 site, doubles pro, team throwdown, action sack, grifball, flood etc. I tend to stay away from infinity slayer.

stephen08

I think the biggest misconception, is that only pros or nerds comparing about e-peens care about ranks.

I want ranks because I want to see how good I am. Just like everything else in life, I want to know if I am good at the game or not.

Then you are in luck! 343i is putting up your rank to view on Waypoint!

Yup. I honestly don't care about bragging rights. It's nice to see what my current level is and to work to improve it in different kinds of playlists.

It's an inconvenience to have to use an external device to see that. I don't see how it's any different from Halo Charts or Meta Halo or the other API sites that were shut down during Bungie's transition.

JHall

HaloGAF reminds me of Gollum from Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

One day nice, the next day wants to kill everyone for their precious.

Madness

Then you are in luck! 343i is putting up your rank to view on Waypoint!

I don't care for external sources... It's why I hate the story so much, why can't everything be self-contained in the game? If you don't want people to brag or compare e-peens, why can't I view my OWN rank in one of the menus? Maybe the commendation screen could show my rank? That way I don't need to use Waypoint, the Waypoint app, Smartglass app or whatever.

Duji

What I am getting at here is that designing games is a balancing act where you are trying to cater to multiple playstyles. This doesn't just apply to the actual gameplay but ancillary stuff like the UI and things like that. Some people don't care about people not quitting, or playing harder or whatever. It's all about having a symbol next to their name that they can say 'I am better than you'. There is no reason whatsoever to encourage this kind of behavior in the population at large.
Well, there's the fact that rank is the most important thing to a good portion of Halo players, past and present. The people who care about rank get to enjoy the bragging rights and those who do not are unaffected. What's the harm in having a visible ranking system?

That was the whole reason for Arena existing but its failure while the rest of Reach carried on showed clearly that the amount of people who care about where they fall within the population was low.
Yes. And that's because the game sucked and the initial implementation was awful.

You can make excuses about people leaving or bloom or whatever but none of those would have changed the fact that the people playing Reach didn't care enough about Arena.
Were you alive and on the internet when Halo: Reach came out? Did you not see the insane amount of complaining about how bloom and the individual ranking system were completely ruining the ranking system? And did you not see Reach's rank population dip significantly following the complaints?

They didn't when the settings were the same as the rest, and they didn't once it got more competitive settings. Halo 3 had similar issues that didn't distract from ranked. People could still camp with Maulers, or still throw down a regen. People cared so much that they would willingly make new accounts just for another crack at ranking up. Or try to lose/quit out of a bunch of games to slingshot themselves to a higher rank. People would manipulate the network to kick the opposing team out of the match. It promoted some of the worst behavior in multiplayer.
Are you seriously still talking about how people didn't care about the W/L system? How many times do I have to explain to you that the population was already low by the time it came out. Why is that so hard to understand? And, Halo 3 had similar issues? I would agree with you if Halo 3 started off with the K/D/A system and transitioned to W/L seven months in, all whilst miraculously maintaining it's ranked population.

Putting a Halo 3 level of importance on ranks would be a mistake. Making them playlist specific and only visible in that playlist was the Reach approach and it failed. It failed because people no longer cared.
I don't quite understand. Why exactly do you think people stopped caring when Reach came out?

excuse me everyone while I argue with a guy with the Heath Ledger joker avatar about serious topics such as "does the average player know that winning is good and losing is bad?" until I'm out of breath

I can't stress enough how much you crack me up on these forums.

@juices&heckfu:
Seriously. What is Silly Mikey talking about?

Fuchsdh

Had worse tweeted at her? I'm sure. But why would she join her to get yelled at even more?

TheOddOne

No ranks = people bitch
bitchbitchbitch
Uhm, People are not ungrateful that ranks are coming. However they are annoyed by how it's been implemented. This usually would not be a big deal, but seeing as how 343 has implemented features before (and how poorly some of it has been), it’s more than annoying that they are trying to make their own type ranking system (which looks flawed) instead of opting for the more traditional ranking system.

Ghazi

No ranks = people bitch
bitchbitchbitch
Adding ranks=everyone stops bitching and start bragging in ranked playlists, anybody still bitching about them can go play social at that point.

I don't know, while your description of ranks is how I feel about it others might feel different. Whether it be my closed-mindedness I just can't think of any reason someone would not like ranks, all the options to ignore them is there with social playlists and usage of mute if someone is antagonizing them over it. Screw boosters and cheaters, they're making a double digit number go up which everyone will be able to tell it's boosted or whatever in a single game against them. It's more of me just wanting to see my own progression in the game and see how I'm doing as a player, it doesn't have to be something everyone else can see to make me happy.
Babble babble bitch bitch, don't forget the violence.
Marilyn Manson to voice master chief in Halo 5 confirmed?

edit: There's a new version of Simplex up in matchmaking? It looks really good (watching Gandhi's stream).

Maybe after the TU I'll play H4 again, it looks alright.

Adding ranks=everyone stops bitching and start bragging in ranked playlists, anybody bitching about them can go play social at that point.

Seriously its always been this way, if you dont care about ranks you can just play social forever. Removing the whole thing of ranks cause a percentage of cheaters is just ridiculous.

Caja 117

Doesnt change the fact that if most if the people dont know how it works, theyll just go about what their regular behaviour is. Code whatever u want, doesnt change that.

Some of them did, at least those who played ranked but didnt care about their Progression, but a lot of those who did care did played the game with a sense of urgency and a need to win, and once you reached a certain Rank everyone in both teams was trying to win because they knew what a W or L meant, and that is something that I miss the most , now you could either end up with a team of people who dont care enough against a team of people that care too much or Viceversa.

Halo 4 doesnt have, and will never have a playlist where you can tell for sure that you won because of your team skills, or because the other team just Didn't care about it (not to mention that the epeen is still present with KD Ratio comparison, so people play to preserve this). All of my friends stop playing Halo because this Competitive edge was lost, it didnt had anything to with epeen, because they were s group of 50s playing Against 50s

Madness

Had worse tweeted at her? I'm sure. But why would she join her to get yelled at even more?

But who'd really yell at her here? I'd say it'd be no different than how we chat with Frankie and Ellis no? She's more in tune with the community.

Yeah. We'd be in constant cringe mode at the shit people would be slinging at her. Do not want.

But why would people be slinging shit at her? It's ironic seeing as how I brought up an issue with personal attacks and insults, but wouldn't mods be extra harsh towards people who treat devs like shit or are attacking them personally?

I might have misconceptions about GAF, I always thought this place was strictly moderated and because it was so private and elusive, there weren't many trolls or jerks.

stephen08

What you are doing here is starting with your conclusion and working backwards to find ways to support it. At this point though, it is clear we are at an impasse. You should stop and try to objectively consider the pros and cons of the different ranking systems independently from the games they were contained in. Look at who benefits and who does not and ask yourself where you fit as an individual user.

I will say in closing though that both Bungie with Reach, and 343i with 4 have reached similar conclusions. This de-emphasizing ranks as a global trait for players dovetailed quite nicely in to the player investment systems they started pushing which became popular once Call of Duty usurped the FPS crown back in 2009 with MW2.

Top Bottom