• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Kinda disappointed multi-team might be held behind a paywall.

They can suck a fat veiny dee if that happens

p.s Flinch is garbo, bring back descoping otherwise 'Legendary Slayer' will never be classic, retuned weapons or no

quoting myself for the new page because Conor keeps posting the same list every other post

That.. is an incredibly reductive and throwaway thing to say considering the ranked/social divide and in-game competition fostered by the so-addictive-it-should-be-registered-as-a-class-A-street-drug visual 1-50 is a very important and cherished part of the online Halo experience for many long term fans of the series. In game ranks had a multitude of positive effects including:

- Incentive to plug your mic in and communicate (social)
- A dis-incentive to quit
- A powerful motivating factor, retaining a portion of the playerbase who were hooked on continual performance feedback
- Ensured a certain quality watermark to a playlist; no guests rendering a game pointless before it begins, no teams of 4 there to shit on randoms for a laugh, tighter skill matching

No descoping is a joke and extremely disappointing, as are no classic flag settings on the horizon.

As for weapon adjustments, does the game really need it? Outside of the absurd magnetism of the unscoped beam rifle, what needs changing within their capability? The DMR's biggest problem is its 3x scope and they can't change that. I wouldn't bother with ROF changes, four shot BR would be nice but meh.

If they have different weapon settings in different playlists like Reach then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fINsjNUZmqo&feature=player_detailpage#t=183s

Ghazi

I got tons of people that asked me to do Geometry Wars achievements for them all the time back in the day (not kidding). If I had some free time, and they wanted to pay, why not? Other people asked for high scores and I told them to fuck off.

Now people just go to the designated achievement trading/buying forums for that shit.

btw I've been meaning to ask you, the Wax Off achievement's been giving some trouble. fiddy dolla?

JK, I got that thing ages ago

FyreWulff

Just put visible ranks in the fucking game. At least try it in one playlist.

cdZSM1q.jpg

stephen08

I have said this before but the reason people by and large want ranks is for that ego stroke of the game saying they are better than others in the lobby. How accurate it is, how resilient it is to being manipulated aren't concerns about this. If people truly cared about how good they were relative to other players Arena would have flourished. It gave you an accurate percentile within the population instead of incredibly vague 1-50 system. It also didn't let people hit the top rank and just idle there without repercussions.

versa7il

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
9. IHaveIce GT = IHaveAnIce
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7

Undecided atm, I'll try and find out when everyone's free.
Count me in.

orznge

Banned
I have said this before but the reason people by and large want ranks is for that ego stroke of the game saying they are better than others in the lobby. How accurate it is, how resilient it is to being manipulated aren't concerns about this. If people truly cared about how good they were relative to other players Arena would have flourished. It gave you an accurate percentile within the population instead of incredibly vague 1-50 system. It also didn't let people hit the top rank and just idle there without repercussions.

there should be rankings on every playlist in the game so everyone screams at each other and tries to win

IHaveIce

Banned

I hope you keep posting this picture in a joking manner. Because it isn't comparable period.

Do a ranked playlist Throwdown settings, but I think you have to enable the radar OR remove sprint. Quit penalties, no guests, JIP heavy altered or removed.

Ranks.

Arena suffered with bad setting for what? 6 seasons? The picture is pretty recent right? Arena ranking wasn't really good.

http://i.imgur.com/cdZSM1q.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Does that one example cut it? Bit of a strawman no? [Not that you aren't being confronted with such arguments]

What about all the games that do show rank? Especially ones that you see dominating the streaming/competitive scene?

[spoiler]Yes, what matters more is that the game is actually suited to competitive play.[/spoiler]

Redford

aka Cabbie
Yup, it's the internet, but why shouldn't I draw attention to it? I don't really care if someone insults me, but what's the point of coming here then? To get shit on by some random guy over and over?

Has nothing to do with having a thicker skin but everything to do with highlighting almost harassing behavior, I mean why wish I get banned? Why read though my posts and then tell others to not take me seriously? If you don't like me, ignore me, don't read my posts.

This place is what we make it.

Holy Christ, April 2nd is going to be a big day for you.

Madness

I got tons of people that asked me to do Geometry Wars achievements for them all the time back in the day (not kidding). If I had some free time, and they wanted to pay, why not? Other people asked for high scores and I told them to fuck off.

Now people just go to the designated achievement trading/buying forums for that shit.

Oh I know there are people out there, but it seems it's a problem that ALL major games suffer from, not just Halo. I remember people paying for the Seriously... Gears of War achievement back in the day.

The way some people write about it, it makes it seem as if it was an epidemic with Halo 3, when I never found that to be the case.

Even so, it doesn't bother me if some random kid pays to get a level 50, because once he starts playing and gets matched up with other 50's, he usually started to lose and rank went down, sure it sucked when you got paired with these people, but it was a rare occurrence no?

There are more benefits to ranks then not. It's not about e-peen comparison, but allowing you to know if you are getting better at the game or not, knowing where you stand. I don't care if i don't hit 50. But I'd like to know I'm a 37 and getting better, and getting paired up with people higher than 37. I don't like being paired with randoms and having them go 6-15 while I'm going 18-7 etc.

Holy Christ, April 2nd is going to be a big day for you.

Dude, why? What's the point? I already apologized about bringing it up in the thread a while ago and we all dropped it. It's over.

IHaveIce

Banned
Well and seeing Frankie saying again "epeen comparisions" in relation to ranks really disappoints me.

Ranked playlists were never about this for me.
They were about:
communication,
less silly teammates and gameplay
tense games

I'm a bad to average Halo player, I'm not good, but I want ranked playlists back.

Blissful

Neo Member
Well and seeing Frankie saying again "epeen comparisions" in relation to ranks really disappoints me.

They were about:
communication,
tense games

I'm a bad to average Halo player, I'm not good, but I want ranked playlists back.

I don't see why they don't at least try adding visible ranks to a dying game. It's not like all the COD elements they added on made it any better.

btw I've been meaning to ask you, the Wax Off achievement's been giving some trouble. fiddy dolla?

JK, I got that thing ages ago

Pssh shit's weak. The second game usually wasn't worth it just because it was (shocker!) more random and required more time to get it done in general.

But Retro Evolved? Man, if I wasn't playing like shit that night, I could earn dat phat cash in a few minutes, yo!

CSj5uJx.gif

EDIT: For reference, it took about 6 minutes without fuck-ups. Ignore the dropped frames from my internet taking a huge dump that night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBK44O96nqk

Duji

That.. is an incredibly reductive and throwaway thing to say considering the ranked/social divide and in-game competition fostered by the so-addictive-it-should-be-registered-as-a-class-A-street-drug visual 1-50 is a very important and cherished part of the online Halo experience for many long term fans of the series. In game ranks had a multitude of positive effects including:

- Incentive to plug your mic in and communicate (social)
- A dis-incentive to quit
- A powerful motivating factor, retaining a portion of the playerbase who were hooked on continual performance feedback
- Ensured a certain quality watermark to a playlist; no guests rendering a game pointless before it begins, no teams of 4 there to shit on randoms for a laugh, tighter skill matching

No descoping is a joke and extremely disappointing, as are no classic flag settings on the horizon.

As for weapon adjustments, does the game really need it? Outside of the absurd magnetism of the unscoped beam rifle, what needs changing within their capability? The DMR's biggest problem is its 3x scope and they can't change that. I wouldn't bother with ROF changes, four shot BR would be nice but meh.

If they have different weapon settings in different playlists like Reach then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fINsjNUZmqo&feature=player_detailpage#t=183s

I really dislike the "tone of discourse" whenever Frankie refers to those who want ranks. In that one live Eurogamer Q&A before H4 launched he said that "there will be something for those obsessed about their rank" and now he's using words like "e-peens". Really? Can we not just be regular guys who want more of a reason to play the game instead of being a bunch of nerds obsessed with comparing e-peens? Am I the only one disturbed by Frankie's choice of words regarding this whole thing?

Omni

They were about:
communication,
tense games

On the contrary, I don't want to see them in-game for basically the reason that Frankie said; people far too often used them as epeen comparisons and then droned all match about how your a shitty colonel or a bad brig or bought your 50. And crap like that is far too annoying

Well the implementation of Arena was really bad. So no one really cared about it.

So much stuff coming out within a week or so in April. It's like Halo Week or something lol

Also, CSR on April 8th. I'll probably be playing Throwdown and refreshing Waypoint after every game.

Slrpppp.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
So much stuff coming out within a week or so in April. It's like Halo Week or something lol

Also, CSR on April 8th. I'll probably be playing Throwdown and refreshing Waypoint after every game.

Shadders

I received an email from Microsoft saying they had a security failure and lost my personal details. They've offered me 1600MSP..

I think this is a good thing?

I'll probably join for customs if there's room available. I'm not sure how much fun you guys will have, though, cause I'm the best player on GAF. Maybe we could do some 1v15's or something to make it fair.

Ghazi

Pssh shit's weak. The second game usually wasn't worth it just because it was (shocker!) more random and required more time to get it done in general.

But Retro Evolved? Man, if I wasn't playing like shit that night, I could earn dat phat cash in a few minutes, yo!

CSj5uJx.gif
Ordnance Wars: Halo Evolved

But seriously, Retro Evolved 1 was the shit. Even if the second one isn't as good I'm still enjoying it because it's Geometry Wars.

edit: Just saw your video and all I have to say goddamn.
So is anyone else glad for the TU? I'm not hyped or anything, but I'm glad it's happening. I'm also glad we're getting a Forge canvas that doesn't blow chunks (I hope/think).

I'm super excited for it, though I'm willing to get on my knees at 343i headquarters and beg for descoping.

Duji

Oh, this argument again.

1. The K/D/A ranking system was godawful. I'm pretty sure everyone can agree on that.
2. Most of the people that would play for ranks were long gone by the time the W/L system was implemented.
3. Bloom.

Blissful

Neo Member
On the contrary, I don't want to see them in-game for basically the reason that Frankie said; people far too often used them as epeen comparisons and then droned all match about how your a shitty colonel or a bad brig or bought your 50. And crap like that is far too annoying

Halo 4 still enables you to mute players. I don't see why that can't be put to use.

O wow, I think I solved Frankie's e-peen problem.

gAg CruSh3r

1. Conor 419
2. Arnie
3. Silly.Mikey
4. Mormapope
5. Mystery Guest
6. Kamikaze Ghazi
7. StalkerUKCG
8. Monsterfracas
9. IHaveIce GT = IHaveAnIce
10. DeadNames
11. Foxtrot
12. Devolution
13. Redford
14. TCKaos
15. Madness
16. Kittens

+ Available if Space

1. versatil7
2.gAg CruSh3r

Undecided atm, I'll try and find out when everyone's free.

Just throwing my name in here....

Striker

Arena suffered with bad setting for what? 6 seasons? The picture is pretty recent right? Arena ranking wasn't really good.
I liked the Arena system after they changed it to win-loss. The main issue I had with it was keeping the numbers for the Arena system in the background of the Service Record. As good as Reach's UI was, that was an awfully weird decision. They pushed out and hyped up a bit a new competitive playlist for the hardcore fans, but the initial settings were not good, the way to rank up was to sabotage your teammates and only worry about yourself, and as I said before, to really get down on how good the player was in this playlist was to filter through the Service Record.

So really it was sent out to die. Halo 3's 1-50 was poor as well due to rank lock for older players, and how incredibly easy it was to rank up on newer accounts (players selling accounts to make quick money and getting that rank up again in a few days was cake). Both it and the Arena systems were poor in a sense they had promise but due to those factors they were bunk.

Top Bottom