• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conor 419

Banned
Listening to the ODST soundtrack, it reminds me of when being 'dark in tone' actually meant something to Halo, how it'd successfully tell a 'human story' without sacrificing the integrity of the series. Unlike Halo 4 which misinterpreted 'dark' as 'gruff', 'likeable character' as 'stereotype' and 'universe building' as 'optional youtube video'.

It kinda sucks that the 'trilogy' is already a hopeless cause at the end of game one.

Main antagonist, dead.
Spartans, changed.
Only well characterised character, dead.
The Covenant, ruined.
Forerunners, confusing.
UNSC, broken.

Even with the multiplayer gone, it's legitimately depressing that the original trilogy I loved so much was essentially voided by the story in Halo 4. It particularly sucks as I remember those like, three cut scenes I really enjoyed in Halo 4. The first where the Chief is being filled in on everything that had happened whilst he was gone and the discovery of the other Halo rings (because god forbid the extended plot actually develops in the Halo universe). The second; Chief and Cortana alone being greeted by sentinels and activating the Didact's terminal (because god forbid there's actually some isolated, mysterious atmosphere in the Halo universe) and the last where the Chief is walking down the corridor in the legendary ending in awe of Sarah Palmer (because god forbid the Chief actually finally gets some fucking recognition from the UNSC after SAVING THE FUCKING GALAXY, OH MY GOD, what, WHAT?)

WHAT?

DeadNames

Banned
That was a good post Conor.

The Chief, after saving the world and being lost for a long ass time...

"I thought you'd be taller".

Kornheiser_Why.JPG

Conor 419

Banned
I think that line alone more than suggests that the 'hiring of Halo enthusiasts' is actually just a huge PR stunt held by incompetent Microsoft, it's quite clear that none of 343i bar Frankie arguably have a clue what is actually going on in the Halo universe.

I also have a theory that Halo 4 is actually a sequel to Halo 1 because think about it, nothing in Halo 2, 3 or ODST are even mentioned. No Arbiter, Miranda Keyes, Prophet of Truth, Johnson anything.

DeadNames

Banned
I actually have a theory that Halo 4 is actually a sequel to Halo 1.

Think about it, nothing in Halo 2, 3 or ODST are even mentioned. No Arbiter, Miranda Keyes, Prophet of Truth, Johnson anything.

Well to play the devil's advocate, Chief notes at the beginning that they thought they had an alliance with the Covies.

Madness

Descoping=Reloading now? Last I checked, I don't find reloading to be frustrating.

I hate descope in Reach because the DMR has an incredible range, and the balance is thrown off IMO. I don't mind it at all in Halo 3.. but with the new sandbox I don't like it at all.

Anyways, same pros and cons exist for flinch. I don't like that one either, but I feel like others hate on it because its a CoD thing.

Purposely being facetious? You said you don't like either systems that are implemented in the combat. I highlighted reloading and the animation of reloading as something similar. It's meant to temper the combat and actively keep players engaged. You should know how many bullets are left, rather risk reloading or switch to secondary etc.

We hate on it, because it's random and unpredictable. Rather than be descoped, my screen wobbles and shakes randomly and changes my aim. If more than one person is shooting at me, I can't even get a straight shot off.

If you think others hate on it because of CoD, I don't know what else to say.

The problem with flinch is that it isn't consistent. With descoping you at least know what is going to happen every time you're shot. Flinch is random and unpredictable.

Believe me, I agree. Whatever is implemented in future titles should be consistent and predictable.

I'm simply saying I was not a huge fan of descoping, and how it was implemented. It honestly just annoyed me constantly being popped in and out of scope when using a sniper for the smallest things. It didn't really bug me in Halo 3 though, so I suppose I just didn't like it in Reach.

Fuchsdh

Halo 5 needs prone position and tall grass on maps
plsno.gif

Speaking of tall grass, was playing through Sierra 117 today and the way the foliage springs back after getting stomped on still feels magical. Halo 3 still has some great graphic touches.

Omni

I think that line alone more than suggests that the 'hiring of Halo enthusiasts' is actually just a huge PR stunt held by incompetent Microsoft, it's quite clear that none of 343i bar Frankie arguably have a clue what is actually going on in the Halo universe.

I also have a theory that Halo 4 is actually a sequel to Halo 1 because think about it, nothing in Halo 2, 3 or ODST are even mentioned. No Arbiter, Miranda Keyes, Prophet of Truth, Johnson anything.

Hmm. I'd go with it if it meant that we'd get a proper sequel to Halo 3.

What bothered me about Halo 4 is like you said. None of that was touched on at all. Hell, his best freaking friend died and not even that is mentioned again.

Speaking of tall grass, was playing through Sierra 117 today and the way the foliage springs back after getting stomped on still feels magical. Halo 3 still has some great graphic touches.

Sierra 117 still looks visually amazing. I love that level.

Too bad the rest of the game looks kinda poopy.

Omni

Sierra 117 still looks visually amazing. I love that level.

Too bad the rest of the game looks kinda poopy.

Definitely do not agree. Sure models suffer from low poly counts (in comparison to Reach and 4), but the environments are great. Dat art style is unmatched in a Halo game to date.

DeadNames

Banned
Definitely do not agree. Sure models suffer from low poly counts (in comparison to Reach and 4), but the environments are great. Dat art style is unmatched in a Halo game to date.

Agreed. The only level I really thought was boring was Rats Nest, or was it Crows Nest... I dunno. But that level was H4/CoD tier.

I had just turned 20 when Halo 3 came out. Ridiculous how fast time flies. Going to be interesting to see by the time Halo 5 comes out, kids who probably never played 1-3, talk about the series.
That'll be a sad day. :(

Kids giving feedback on Halo 5 when the only Halo game they played was Halo 4 at best.

Is this hypocritical of me to say?

Halo 3 had phenomenal art, no argument there.. but graphically? Uh..

And hell, even distance shots of the environments are a bit lack in terms of actual visuals.

Great art style, great ideas...bad implementation. A few thing shined (amazing lighting and water!), but overall the game wasn't the most impressive when it came to looks.

Pop

vFlnIVS.gif

but it takes place 4 years after the events of Halo 3

Ghazi

Frankie should tweet out your Résumé so people see your talent and millions of people would watch your stream. Instead of flying people down to 343i headquarters to test weapon balances they'd fly over to you and just have you save Halo.

Hey HaloGAF. Long time no post.

I *just* realised that Jesse Snyder (Lead campaign designer, Halo 4) has moved back to Call of Duty. I'm curious as to who will be his replacement, and how this will affect future Halo games. (No QTEs!)

Forgive me if old, been out of the loop lately.

Omni

I *just* realised that Jesse Snyder (Lead campaign designer, Halo 4) has moved back to Call of Duty. I'm curious as to who will be his replacement, and how this will affect future Halo games. (No QTEs!)

Forgive me if old, been out of the loop lately.

Hopefully no more predator missiles.

Or long, tedious, extremely linear levels.

Madness

My résumé

- good sandwich maker
- bangs good
- mediocre every thing else
- 9.8/10

I don't know, I read some of your thoughts on the Reach beta when it ended lol.

"Armor Lock - This thing is great, I think a lot of teams that really communicate are going to love this one as it allows a player to really get away even if they were at a disadvantage. It's super good if you're aware enough to block nades and melees with it."

"Camo - My personal favorite"

"Loadouts and the armor abilities really enhance and change the way Halo plays, much more so than Halo 3's equipment did. They are all so awesome each with their own advantages, the disadvantage to choosing one is that you can't do the other three. That’s how awesome they all are the only drawback is not being able to use the others! These change the gameplay so much more than equipment did in Halo 3 and they change it for the better. I have enjoyed new Slayer game type more than Slayer Pro in the beta because of these AA's."

Hire Juices??

I'm just kidding. I thought the beta was a blast too. And you definitely wrote how this all ultimately didn't end up working. Which is exactly why 343 should have done a 180 after Reach.

Also, good idea on the twitch streams. Whoever does next OT should put up links. Spread the viewer love.

Rtas

Thank fuck for that, QTE's infuriated me in Halo 4, they just don't have a place in Halo.

The thing thats getting me about Halo currently, is that after reading through the two kilo five novels again and playing Halo 4, (I already knew this anyway but I'm getting to my point soon enough) and H4 reeks of Traviss' misinformed view of the Halo Universe. I'm waiting to see when they'll introduce her "childrenized" version of the Spartan III's, according to ghosts of Onyx and Halo Reach most Spartan III's were still hella tall for their age, just like the Spartan II's due to their Augmentations, and so after rereading glasslands I became incredibly more infuriated than I had been when it first game out, To read how she has Halsey say "They're too small" and describe Lucy as Tiny. This really annoyed me. Lucy is one of the older Spartan III's she's what 21? There is no way she'd be the size of a 12 year old with her augmentations.

But this raises the question for me, will we ever see Eric Nylund return to repair the Damage done by Traviss to the canon. I mean don't get me wrong I enjoy Kilo 5 so far. But the glaring canon issues are maddening, and she is literally the only Halo Author that I haven't been a fan of, even Dietz' book of Halo CE introduced the interesting Points of view of Silva's Marines and Jenkins' side story. But Traviss' stuff, aside from the ONI planning the destruction of the Sangheili is utterly wrong, and even saying that, the reasons behind the whole destruction of the sangheili plan is wrong. Parangosky says one thing and does another. She says she wants to put the Sangheili down to where they're no longer a threat, to prevent any genocide again. But then we're talking bioweapons to wipe out sangheili on sangheilios to prepare the planet for recolonization. Seriously Traviss should have read the previous Halo fiction to truly understand the nuances of the canon, instead of going in with a "fresh perspective" and completely oblivious to set in stone events and personalities. I mean the whole Halsey and Mendez thing made me cringe so often. Basically I'm just thinking out loud here, but does anyone think the Halo extended universe fiction can be saved by Nylund coming back, or Tobias Buckell?

Madness

Juices actually streams in HD. Lol at 343 streaming the Weapon Tuning stream in Standard Definition.

Not even standard definition. SD is either 480i or 576i. Some people even like to say 480p is standard definition.

343 gave the stream at like 432p or something. Plus the gamer tags were labeled playlab or something, you couldn't even see who was dying, who got the kill etc. Hope they fix it for when they hold that game with 343 night.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Thank fuck for that, QTE's infuriated me in Halo 4, they just don't have a place in Halo.

The thing thats getting me about Halo currently, is that after reading through the two kilo five novels again and playing Halo 4, (I already knew this anyway but I'm getting to my point soon enough) and H4 reeks of Traviss' misinformed view of the Halo Universe. I'm waiting to see when they'll introduce her "childrenized" version of the Spartan III's, according to ghosts of Onyx and Halo Reach most Spartan III's were still hella tall for their age, just like the Spartan II's due to their Augmentations, and so after rereading glasslands I became incredibly more infuriated than I had been when it first game out, To read how she has Halsey say "They're too small" and describe Lucy as Tiny. This really annoyed me. Lucy is one of the older Spartan III's she's what 21? There is no way she'd be the size of a 12 year old with her augmentations.

But this raises the question for me, will we ever see Eric Nylund return to repair the Damage done by Traviss to the canon. I mean don't get me wrong I enjoy Kilo 5 so far. But the glaring canon issues are maddening, and she is literally the only Halo Author that I haven't been a fan of, even Dietz' book of Halo CE introduced the interesting Points of view of Silva's Marines and Jenkins' side story. But Traviss' stuff, aside from the ONI planning the destruction of the Sangheili is utterly wrong, and even saying that, the reasons behind the whole destruction of the sangheili plan is wrong. Parangosky says one thing and does another. She says she wants to put the Sangheili down to where they're no longer a threat, to prevent any genocide again. But then we're talking bioweapons to wipe out sangheili on sangheilios to prepare the planet for recolonization. Seriously Traviss should have read the previous Halo fiction to truly understand the nuances of the canon, instead of going in with a "fresh perspective" and completely oblivious to set in stone events and personalities. I mean the whole Halsey and Mendez thing made me cringe so often. Basically I'm just thinking out loud here, but does anyone think the Halo extended universe fiction can be saved by Nylund coming back, or Tobias Buckell?

They're not coming back.

I was weary of Traviss coming on board to write Halo lore since it was first announced. Actually, I wasn't just weary, I was upset. You can go back and find my posts about it from forever ago. I've always disliked her writing since it appeared in prominent video games (Gears of War). Honestly just awful, awful stuff. I knew from that moment on everything she touched in Halo was going to be fucked. And look where we are now. Any event that happens post-H3 feels like a colder, soulless alternate universe of the brutal, yet fun and full of character Halo I used to know.

Nylund is the best living sci-fi author. He brought the Halo extended universe to life, and he probably wouldn't like where it is now.

Not even standard definition. SD is either 480i or 576i. Some people even like to say 480p is standard definition.

343 gave the stream at like 432p or something. Plus the gamer tags were labeled playlab or something, you couldn't even see who dying, who got the kill etc. Hope they fix it for when they hold that game with 343 night.

Standard Definition = 720 horizontal pixels. Usually between 576 and 480 pixels vertically. So yes.

Omni

They're not coming back.

I was weary of Traviss coming on board to write Halo lore since it was first announced. Actually, I wasn't just weary, I was upset. You can go back and find my posts about it from forever ago. I've always disliked her writing since it appeared in prominent video games (Gears of War). Honestly just awful, awful stuff. I knew from that moment on everything she touched in Halo was going to be fucked. And look where we are now. Any event that happens post-H3 feels like a colder, soulless alternate universe of the brutal, yet fun and full of character Halo I used to know.

It seems much worse when you think about the fact that she's writing another book which will probably shape Halo 5 in some way.

Seriously though, as much as I dislike Traviss the blame should rest on 343i's shoulders. They've approved everything that she's published and (I don't know how the process works) probably even shaped the story into something they want too. I mean, look at the complete shit that we got with Spartan Ops.

Three games and I'm reminded why I stopped playing Halo 4. Aaaaaaand now I'm back to BF3.

I think Traviss is a decent writer. I really liked her Star Wars stuff mainly because she had creative freedom for the most part and did not deal with many, if any, established characters.

Her Gears stuff was okay but left a bit to be desired imo.

My problem with the K5 trilogy is the problem I have with all of the fiction coming out right now. I detailed it not that long ago in a post here, but basically it comes down go not really feeling all that...awesome. why were the first few games and books aweskme?

You save a bunch of marines, sneak up on some unsuspecting Covies and reign harass stealth hell upon them. You single handedly take down a scarab.Save the universe and actually feel like you save the universe.

In the books, you had stuff like Spartans JUMPING FROM A PELICAN MILES IN THE AIR, or Five Spartans taking out several hundred/thousand Grunts BY THEMSELVES, or how about Will, the BAMF of all BAMFs, taking out a Hunter with his BARE HANDS.

Halo 4 really didn't have much of that aside from the Scorpion/Mantis mission. The Forerunner Trilogy obviously has none of that. The K5 trilogy...little to none.

We need badass shit, dang it.

Aside from that, I just havent liked the story of the recent books. Nylund could certainly salvage the books and I would love it if he did, but I'm not expecting it.

I'm on my phone now but I can get on my laptop in a bot and detail my thoughts out more. But I agree with you completely.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

343 gave the stream at like 432p or something. Plus the gamer tags were labeled playlab or something, you couldn't even see who was dying, who got the kill etc. Hope they fix it for when they hold that game with 343 night.

It was a player decision to put stream focus on the weapons and game rather than the players.

Does anyone here play Halo 2 on Xbox through Xlink Kai or LAN tunneling in general..

Or at one point did you guys organize games when servers went down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom