• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I still think Karl is an idiot, but those were a couple good posts" - Biggy

Biggie?

img-biggie_163236781150.jpg

The Joe Staten news yesterday is a little disappointing. I'd like to see him on Halo but oh well, hopefully he's still doing games stuff and not TV stuff. MS needs more big budget games like Halo in their lineup.

kylej

Banned
couldnt be more hyped for agdq tonight.

zfg and moltov running OoT all dungeons with cosmo and runnerguy apparently commentating on the couch?

GG friday night GG

Vico

So, who wants to be Franchise Writer for Halo?

Writing Sample Requirement:

In 1000 words or less, create a comprehensive summary of the concept of “The Mantle” as it currently exists in game and expanded universe fiction. Include images/videos if and when appropriate. Anticipate that this document would be used by Halo creators at 343 Industries and external development/creative partners. (It won’t really be, but that’s your expected audience.)
Please insert this writing at the end of the resume you submit in your application.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Does 343i do internships? One of my friends said he might be able to get me an interview with the Xbox division through the MS internship program since he has been through it himself, but I don't know exactly what kinds of positions are offered through that and I'd rather be doing something more creative or leadership related than technical.

I would apply for this job. I live in the city it's open for, and I meet all the requirements aside from shipping AAA games and the number of years of experience. Oh well. I'd really like to work as an assistant to whoever gets that job, though I would never work without pay.

PM me Frankles.

Vico

Imagine the poor sap who does human resources for 343/MS and has to go through each submission. Hundreds of different entries on what the 'mantle' is in Halo, and with images and video to explain the concept.

I was actually thinking about that.
Now I feel bad about posting it here, because it'll add dozens of submissions. :p

TheOddOne

The Mantle describes the whereabouts of Commander Shephard—a character in the popular Mass Effect games, developed by Bioware and published by Electronic Arts.

Fuchsdh

As, speaking of game development, thought I would pass this on to anyone who's interested:

FUD/Community Evolved cowriter Isaac has been working with a small team to develop a prototype game they're going to kickstart. They're also producing a documentary alongside it, covering the process. The first two episodes have been released; if anyone has any feedback or criticism, he'd welcome it.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRXea2O_Tvs_77PlDu5-iTWnil3hPVPEY

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Does 343i do internships? One of my friends said he might be able to get me an interview with the Xbox division through the MS internship program since he has been through it himself, but I don't know exactly what kinds of positions are offered through that and I'd rather be doing something more creative or leadership related than technical.

I would apply for this job. I live in the city it's open for, and I meet all the requirements aside from shipping AAA games and the number of years of experience. Oh well. I'd really like to work as an assistant to whoever gets that job, though I would never work without pay.

PM me Frankles.

Reach out. You never know!

The Mantle describes the whereabouts of Commander Shephard—a character in the popular Mass Effect games, developed by Bioware and published by Electronic Arts.

Better yet:

"The Mantle describes the whereabouts of Commander Shepherd - a character in the popular Left 4 Dead games, developed by GAME FREAK Inc. and published by thatgamecompany."

*picture of Cloud Strife*

Please make your entry public.
on your blog

As much as I'd love to be Executive Fanwank Consultant for 343, I don't think I'm really the type of guy they'd hire. That being said, I really want to submit a Mantle descriptor in a 15-line format, where the first letter of every line spells out "GRAVITY GAUNTLET."

I don't really think he's the guy to ask.

Without going into details, I guess, I was basically asking if they do internships in the business-side stuff, and if so, who to ask.

I know nothing about game development and even though I love to write I'm going to school for Human Resources.

343 pay me Washington minimum wage for the summer and I'll sift through all that Mantle shit no problem.

Chettlar

Banned
There's no menu for skulls in Halo 2 since they weren't an actual fleshed-out feature, just fun easter eggs. You have to pick each of them up in the level to activate them and that lasts until you turn your Xbox off or eject the disc. So what people like me did was make separate Halo 2 profiles that were at the checkpoint right before the skull they wanted so they could easily pick them up, switch profiles, and continue.

So Halo 2's skulls are only active from the time you pick them up until you shut your Xbox off or quit Halo 2. Also, they are only available on Legendary(except for Blind and Assassins--which is there on every difficulty but only activates on Legendary). There isn't a menu to activate them like the later games.

:/ I don't really like that. Oh well. Is CE the same way?

Anyway, in that case, Dear 343, I have feature request for Halo 2 Anniversary: please have the skulls work like they do in 3 (not 4; the opposite extreme is just as bad).

Mistel

Banned
Needs more eggheads and inconsequential choices, to get the message across.

Teach me how to draw and then hire me drawing concept art like Sparth, would be a great thing to able to do.

Fuchsdh

Anyway, in that case, Dear 343, I have feature request for Halo 2 Anniversary: please have the skulls work like they do in 3 (not 4; the opposite extreme is just as bad).

CEA you find skulls and activate them the same way as in 3. Halo 4 and Reach share the already-unlocked function. EDIT: And as clarified below CE the original game doesn't have them.

IHaveIce

Banned
CE you find skulls and activate them the same way as in 3. Halo 4 and Reach share the already-unlocked function.

Huh? Only in Anniversary, there are no skulls in the real CE.

Also PsychoRaven, did you download some special drivers or something for Halo 2 Vista on W8.1? Always get an error.

Karl2177

CE doesn't have skulls, but Anniversary works the same way as Halo 3.

Fuchsdh

Huh? Only in Anniversary, there are no skulls in the real CE.

Also PsychoRaven, did you download some special drivers or something for Halo 2 Vista on W8.1? Always get an error.

Oh, yeah, that's what I thought he meant. My poor clarity.

Ordered my paperback of Mortal Dictata today. Wonder if
the random human from Escalation
is supposed to be
Naomi's father? Seems odd with the description from the book that he'd somehow escape an aborted (we assume) attempt to glass Earth and resurface years later though...

Chettlar

Banned
Capes look strange and out of place in Halo, imo. Not even the prophets wore capes.

They had robes, which are similar (Capes wouldn't fit that style of body. Elites, on the other hand, I say definitely.). I see what you mean, but I think they could make it work. idk

You've never played Halo 2(online)? Don't expect to much, last time I checked there were only a handful of people online.

Still, I'd like to try it.

Funny that Karl posts that, because I literally just started replaying Halo 2 today. The narrative of that game is sooooo good.

:( Why can't we have another Halo with a story like that of 2? "Ancient, Epic, Alien" really describes the style of storytelling it has, I thought.
(from what I know from playing the start for about 10 minutes :S

---

CE you find skulls and activate them the same way as in 3. Halo 4 and Reach share the already-unlocked function.

I wonder why they changed that for just 2 then (edit: oh, k thanks Karl). I loved just trying to obtain them. So fun. I found like 4-5 on my own in 3.

I hate how 4 and Reach do it.

Also, there need to be far more skulls. Like 2-3 in each level. One more on the easy side to find (though still very difficult. Like, the mythic skull in 3 was waaaay too easy), and one or two extremely hard to find/obtain. Skulls are one of my favorite parts of halo.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Went 12-1 in TS today, dropped a level.

If it's old hat, I apologize, but I really can't believe how broken the CSR is in that playlist, even more so that it hasn't even been acknowledged or addressed.

I don't know what form of Truskill they are using, but you will go down in rank if you win, if the teams are lopsided at the end of the game (ex. 4v2 after two people quit). Had 3 games out of those 13 where the other team was too stupid to not back out. That was enough to keep afloat after dropping 2 levels after the single loss, and 2 more levels after two of the lopsided wins.

I'm sure there is one masochist on the Top 200 that is actually playing legit, but it's almost impossible. Not only does DNF'ing bulletproof your CSR, but it can actually negatively impact the winning team.

Quite a shoddy effort, very disappointing the lack of response from 343 given the problem has been posted on every forum I've seen, and kind of insulting for every tweet I get highlighting the top 10 who are exploiting the system more than anyone. As much as I have enjoyed H4, this is wasted time I won't get back. This should have been acknowledged after week 1, not brushed under the rug a month and a half in.

Going to throw this in here because I know some of you are regular tv watchers.

The Blacklist
True Detective
Helix
Almost Human

Anything else I should be caring about on TV now or soon?

Exwife and I will be playing Halo 4 in about an hour if anybody would like to... play Halo 4 in about an hour.

Message Prinz Eugn.

And yeah, CSR is kind of borked. There's an old Microsoft article on the math behind Trueskill, that I think explains how you could drop rank by losing, but I don't know how relevant that is to the current system.

Blueblur1

There's no menu for skulls in Halo 2 since they weren't an actual fleshed-out feature, just fun easter eggs. You have to pick each of them up in the level to activate them and that lasts until you turn your Xbox off or eject the disc. So what people like me did was make separate Halo 2 profiles that were at the checkpoint right before the skull they wanted so they could easily pick them up, switch profiles, and continue.

I still have 5 or 6 Halo 2 profiles on my original Xbox for that reason alone.

Fuchsdh

Exwife and I will be playing Halo 4 in about an hour if anybody would like to... play Halo 4 in about an hour.

Message Prinz Eugn.

And yeah, CSR is kind of borked. There's an old Microsoft article on the math behind Trueskill, that I think explains how you could drop rank by losing, but I don't know how relevant that is to the current system.

I'll prolly pop on.

The Mantle in one image:

DZk8KPN.jpg

I should be hired.

edit, also: how in the world do you even explain the mantle without sounding like you're high...? living time, neural physics and ancient interstellar custodians. Some good stuff, that. It's like trying to explain a Nintendo game, no matter how serious you are, you'll never sound like you're sober.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom