• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT4| Trust's a Tough Thing to Come by These Days

AusQB

Just for reference, Halo soundtracks have always featured a bit of synth or electronica here and there. Halo 1 had Ambient Wonders and Alien Corridors. Halo 2 had Impend, bits of the Mausoleum Suite, a good chunk of the Sacred Icon Suite, and parts of the High Charity Suite. Halo 3 had Released, Infiltrate, Out of Shadow, Edge Closer, and more songs that all had 'digital' elements to them. It's not really something Mass Effect has cornered the market on.

Edit: and those are just songs/sections of songs that are just obviously electronic, not even counting ones that have subtle electronic undertones (Heretic, Hero, ONI [from ODST], No Stone Unturned, The Pillar of Autumn, the list goes on!)

I didn't say that Halo music has never had, nor should never have, electronic elements in its soundtrack, but you can't deny that this particular part is strikingly similar to Mass Effect.

I was probably being too bold when I used the term "compete". I love both franchises equally and if they happen to feel similar in some respects, so be it. I don't care if I'm contradicting my earlier attitude.

If you're playing golf, you don't use a baseball bat just because someone else has already chosen a golf club. If there's only one correct thing to use for a given task, then everyone has the right to use it. It's not a perfect analogy, but it'll have to do.

FRANKIE, BY GOD, IS THIS EVA OR IS IT NOT.

cnn3A.jpg

Looks like more colors than we got in the past.

I apologise if this has been clarified before, but I must ask, in SO, if your team mate goes down, do you get to revive them? Or do you share a pool of lives, so when they respawn you instantly lose one life?

I think 343 are trying a bit too hard to compete with Mass Effect 3, which is entirely unnecessary. The gameplay demo had barely started and the first signs emerged. The cutscene with the Infinity crashing through the atmosphere was epic, but as soon as the spherical machine appeared, the music suddenly changed to a more “digital” theme and it sounded exactly like something out of Mass Effect.

This new "race" is called Promethean. Really? Prothean, Promethean, Prometheus. Do you see a pattern here? Perhaps they all refer to a common term from an ancient civilization, most likely the Greek god Prometheus, who was “a champion for mankind”. I can understand how this theme is fitting for Mass Effect, Halo and the Prometheus movie, but there is no sign of creativity to make them at least somewhat distinct.

Change is good, but not if it's only for the sake of changing. The story has always been able to justify minor changes and additions in the games, such as the upgrade from Mark V to Mark VI armour and the battle rifle, but why does the same Mark VI suit that MC entered the cryo chamber with look so different? I'm not against graphical upgrades, but artists can get carried away and he now no longer has that iconic look. In addition, the square scope on the battle rifle doesn't make any sense, some things don't need to change just to convince people it's a new game.

You know, I've had a lot of complaints about Halo 4, but making it more like Mass Effect in terms of style/music would be a good thing.

About the Prometheans: they're only like the Protheans in the sense that the Forerunners or any other pilot race are.

Shadders

I apologise if this has been clarified before, but I must ask, in SO, if your team mate goes down, do you get to revive them? Or do you share a pool of lives, so when they respawn you instantly lose one life?

I'd not thought about that. I'd just assumed it would work like co-op campaign.

It's not an avatar code, but I have a shirt to give away to one lucky fellow member of HaloGAF. First person to quote this in a reply gets it. It's and XL

*If you live outside the US you'll have to cover shipping if you want it!

This were thrown out randomly to the crowd waiting in line to play the game.

IMG_0321.jpg

Bottom left side

IMG_0325.jpg

Right shoulder

IMG_0324.jpg

Back
343i should open a store finally. :(

That's the only synth track in ME3. ME1 OST is the best OST and has a lot of pretty amazing synth. Go that way and I am happy!

TheOddOne

First off, welcome!

From the story beats we got so far, we know that Master Chief and Cortana’s relationship will be a major plot point going forth. Which seems like a logical progression story wise seeing as the rampancy of Cortana is creeping up. We know that he will not become the chatty type, Frankles assures us that, but we can’t expect the Chief to be the strong silent type anymore. Their relationship will surely be tested with all is going on – hearing Chief say nothing substantial during this time would feel awkward.

More Cortana talking seems, from my perspective, to let the player get attached to the character again. It’s been a while since we have seen her, remember Halo 3 came out in 2007. Since then we have not seen her in action. Let’s look at from that perspective, new player would be baffled as to why Cortana is so important. Imagine Chief being the silent type during course of Halo 4, but then something happens to Cortana and players are confused as to why they should care about it. Putting that relationship up-front is to highlight why each character is so important to one another – so later on the emotional impact is bigger for new and veteran players.

Chief himself is already a strong character as the silent type, but him being fleshed out is not a bad thing. He is iconic, but expanding his personality and getting to know his thoughts – to some extent – does not break that he is a vessel for the player. It supplements and already iconic character and the player hopefully feels more attached to him. You can either expand his character via banter or cut-scenes. I prefer the former, because it feels more personal between the characters. The cut-scenes need to focus on the bigger battle and story-ark.

Reach and ODST were very much smaller scale stories, which Bungie deliberately did to highlight the characters and to make it feel more intimate. The main Halo games have always been epic space opera games, with big set pieces and story-arks. Everything we have been shown from the Halo 4 trailer seems to indicate that, much like Halo 2, is that they are expanding the universe and making everything bigger and more epic. Which is what I come to expect from mainline games, because well I’m done with the smaller scale stories.

I think the music we have heard is really good and the way the handles the new sounds is great. First off, you can’t retrace the same music themes from the previous games in Halo 4. This because, the previous games had their unique setting and feel, so the music complemented it. However now, we are going through a whole new world – the sound is has to have must be distinctive and unique. This is why I love the music and sound design I have now heard, it has its own voice.

The Prometheans were first mentioned in Greg Bear’s Halo: Crytum. I will give you that the name seems uninspired now, but I see no real problem with it. The suit changes were mentioned in Karin Travis’s Glasslands,
Nanomachines have upgraded the Chiefs armor while he was in cryo sleep

dream feature: ability to watch theater films on my iphone/ipad and be able to take screenshots.

Doubt this would ever be possible because of how theater works.

That's the only synth track in ME3. ME1 OST is the best OST and has a lot of pretty amazing synth. Go that way and I am happy!

ME1 has the most synth, yeah, but there's a few good ones in ME2 and ME3. Like The Illusive Man, New Worlds, A View from Palaven, there's a few good ones in there.

blamite

H4-_Ancient_threat.jpg

So, I guess this turned out to be the Promethean Knight? The orange glowy face and the two mini arms make it seem pretty likely to me.

Man, those medals look terrible. I can barely discern one from the other and they look lazy. Bring back the colorful and unique emblems from the previous games, please.

Oh yeah, what's up with the lack of unique death text? I imagine its because it's just not in the game yet but I'd like to see "Blank was stuck by blank", "Blank was beat down by Blank", etc. Right now it looks really simple and bare-bones.
Nah, HEADSHOT is good enough.

JonCha

Orchestral is boring. Halo 4 is mysterious, and has a sci-fi feel. I want that kind of soundtrack.

And people are complaining about the name of an enemy? Really?

Keep AAs, sprint, loadouts
Remove Grenade Launcher

If they kept just one of the new additions we saw with Reach I hoped it would be the Grenade Launcher. I guess that was just too much to ask.

I love propipe but it was objectively underused.

So? It required more than just pointing the reticle at your opponent and holding RT so of course it wasn't going to be used by the average MM shitcunt. Beautiful functionality, multiple uses (kills, EMP, stripping shields, shoot around walls), decent learning curve to get the most out of it. Most importantly, a FUN weapon to use.

to be fair, how many maps was the grenade launcher actually on? Swordbase and Powerhouse, and what else?

It improved any map it was on. Countdown and Zealot would be infinitely more playable had they a GL.

This sticky detonator does not look to be a suitable replacement. Because it's sticky, it becomes a case of merely pointing it at where you want it to land. It completely cuts out the ingenuity one could employ with the bounce of the GL rounds, the sheer creativity a player could put in to their shot. I seriously hope you can have to hold the trigger for the cooking rather than shooting it then pressing again for the explosion.

Amazing

I don't think the 'Pipe was even ON that many maps, was it? If it was I definitely missed out on it. When I do find it I love it though. If there was a 'pipes only gametype in action sack or something I'd have trouble playing anything else.

So who wants to do 'pipes only customs sometime tonight :p?

WJD

Really hope the medals are changed by November. Compared to Reach's medals (OMG so sexy) they look terrible.

Arnie

Yes, it does need to be said, the UI in Halo 4 is absolutely awful compared to previous Halo games. It's the one area so far where I can undoubtedly say the game has taken a serious step backwards in quality. It makes the game look like some random third party sci-fi shooter, rather than the next Halo. It doesn't exude quality.

Oh, and there's another post in the gaming side thread about skill based ranking. It's still my number one worry for the game; and unlike custom game browsing it's actually important.

monome

So, I guess this turned out to be the Promethean Knight? The orange glowy face and the two mini arms make it seem pretty likely to me.

"Promethean" (is this confirmed?) Knight is not the same as a Promethean.

Knights are mechanical whereas Prometheans were flesh and a cast of warriors. Very tall, around 4-5m, so no way it's them stuffed inside, and they would probably still have memories and will like the ones in the Sphinxes from Cryptum.
Funnily Orange Knights show their teeths whereas Blue Knights have full-on face plates.

Why is so much screen space wasted on player character models and instead of highlighting the map, mode and a few of it's settings? That is terrible.
Yeah, I am agreeing with TheOddOne. It looks that it is a sub menu. If not, at least they give us more information about the gametype.

I actually hate you all, new halogaf podcast downloaded, I accidently played it. "so uh let's talk about tits".

I was browsing my phone in the middle of my office without headphones on.

Screw you all.

FyreWulff

Anyone see the details on ZombiU multiplayer? That sounds like a really fun version of Infection. I want to play it.

Also the game has no checkpoints and permadeath. If you die, you switch to being another survivor, and if you want your stuff back, you have to go find and kill your previous-now-a-zombie body.

Woorloog

Banned
I noticed people think the Promethean vision is OP.
Why?
It seems that people think it's too useful and start leaning on it. That's bad... Use something else, learn the maps and make educated guesses where your enemy is based on the map, your radar and his movement direction, just like in previous Halos. And then use some AA that gives you an edge in a fight (Thruster?).
Sure, firm knowledge is better than an educated guess but leaning on a single AA weakens one as a player, i think, especially when it aids in finding enemies. Not mention PV revealing you're using it.
I know i'm not going to use it much, i really do not see any reason why would i need it, especially once i know the maps and the flow.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yes, it does need to be said, the UI in Halo 4 is absolutely awful compared to previous Halo games. It's the one area so far where I can undoubtedly say the game has taken a serious step backwards in quality. It makes the game look like some random third party sci-fi shooter, rather than the next Halo. It doesn't exude quality.

Oh, and there's another post in the gaming side thread about skill based ranking. It's still my number one worry for the game; and unlike custom game browsing it's actually important.

Well theres 2 parts. There's how it looks and how it works. If it's quick and easy to go through the menus, I'm happy. I'm gonna wait to use it before I completely shit all over it like you have.

Shadders

"Promethean" (is this confirmed?) Knight is not the same as a Promethean.

Knights are mechanical whereas Prometheans were flesh and a cast of warriors. Very tall, around 4-5m, so no way it's them stuffed inside, and they would probably still have memories and will like the ones in the Sphinxes from Cryptum.
Funnily Orange Knights show their teeths whereas Blue Knights have full-on face plates.

They've been referred to as "Prmethean Knight" by both Frankie and Josh Holmes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00_EyaZpbsU&t=6m

Has Ninja's rant on the 1-50 ranking system been posted before?

Top Bottom