• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT5| Believe, Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

Fuck. Pic of sniper please. Been busy. Hard to keep up with this thread these days.

i4xdA9wNzmsiZ.JPG

^ Yeah, I still see Wall-E. Fuck.

Yeah, I am really excited for Halo 4..it actually seems new and fresh compared to Halo Reach, which had big ideas but executed them awkwardly at best. While I do love Halo 3's equipment, Bubble Shield how I miss you, the new setup seems nice. I seriously can't wait to see more..I just hope they devote an update or a BTS video explaining the way things will work.

I really think in-game Chief could of been used in that TV spot. Looks just as good.

Wrong.

In game chief looks better.

Kuroyume

Banned
So far the AR is the only truly ugly looking weapon in the game. A step back from Reach. The should have either used that or come up with a new design for it.

So far the AR is the only truly ugly looking weapon in the game. A step back from Reach. The should have either used that or come up with a new design for it.

It looks so outta place staying so close to the Halo 3 model, which looked like a toy.. The Reach AR is an fantastic looking weapon, I hope the ARs model still may see revisions.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I played a few hours of MW2. I... kind of like it? I really like the radar: you can see where teammates are facing, enemies only show up when they shoot (I'd like to see that as an option in Halo 4), and people in your party show up as a different color (I'd REALLY like to see that in H4). The only thing I really hate is the cheap ass killstreaks, which, unfortunately, are plentiful.

Thanks for the games, Franklins.

I feel odd about H4's art direction. It seems like a few weapons tried to go the direction of the "gritty realism" look from Reach, such as the BR and the Sniper, but others retain the flat, smooth trilogy look, like the AR. It's kinda stuck in the middle. I don't have a problem with it, but it's a bit weird to see a mix of both aesthetics.
Yeah, I agree that the AR looks really out of place now. I've never really liked the AR's design, but now it looks especially bad. I wouldn't mind a BR-level redesign. Recognizable but significantly different. The pistol could use a redesign, too.

And I dunno, I love the UNSC weapon design so far in Halo 4. The only one I have any complaints about is the DMR, but I still think it looks 90% awesome. It's the Promethean and Covie weapons I'm not so hot on. The all look too similar. Just a little bit of reworking on their design would go a long way.

Yeah, I agree. Pistol is kinda dull, but AR is straight up bad looking.

Ryaaan14

Banned
what was so bad about reach?

1.) Multiplayer maps shared with campaign areas. We don't want to keep seeing that shit over and over. Also very uninspired.

2.) Broken Armor Abilities. Armor Lock broke the flow of the game, Jetpack broke maps, Active Camo sucked ass, and Sprint almost feels obligatory.

3.) Movement simply doesn't feel like Halo. The inertia, the change of speed/jump height, and ridiculous amount of motion blur just made it feel like a Halo copycat, didn't feel authentic.

4.) Forge World was a fantastic tool to make maps, and it was perfect in almost every way, but it is a shitty idea to build a few of your feature maps in the same environment. It became sickening to see the same architecture after your thousandth game.

5.) The ranking system is absolute jokes.

6.) Playlists are horribad.

I could go on but I'm getting bored even talking about Reach after that.

Nope just typing on a mobile. Well yea been drinking too but that's neither here nor there. I dunno guys just nothing about this game is selling me hopefully they have made a kickass ranking system or I might just skip this one.

Like I already said, it's odd to see weapons like the BR take a step towards Reach-esque design, while the AR goes back to H3 style.

Made this.

http://i.imgur.com/OzbBc.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

No comparison they all look better than the new one. I really liked the screen from Halo 2 but that is nitpicking. Anything but this new design please.

Do we have something that compares how much screen real estate each one takes up?

[quote="kittens, post: 38900800"]2 > 4 > R > 3 > 1

Man, I love the new one! I don't think I've ever been so in the minority about a design decision, hah.[/QUOTE]
Goodness no.

2 > R > 3 > 1 >>>>>>>>>>>4

yea but isnt the same ranking system in h4?also those AA's as well.

No, Frank has said that 1-50 (or specifically Halo 3's, but I think it's safe to assume we won't see it) and Arena's ranking will not be in the game. I believe he's said they are looking at several options to I think it's safe to say that whatever ranking system ends up in the game, if there is one at all (I'm just saying it's a possibility people, don't freak out. They are after all dead in just about all games) is going to be something largely new that 343 has cooked up.

Halo2.xbe

ctrl+c

ctrl+v

Right Click -> Rename

Halo4.xbe

Please 343.

Sadly, delete that possibility from your brain, it's not what we are getting.

Made this.

OzbBc.jpg

Reach's sniper design is the best in my opinion.

Again though, I'd like to mention that when it comes actually playing the game in November and hopefully for a couple years, these are minor complaints at best.

Ryaaan14

Banned
It doesn't look any bigger than the older snipers, looking at the comparison shots. Each game's FOV is tweaked too, so taking that into account and the newer design, it looks just fine.

In the profile shot I saw in this thread it was clearly bigger. I will try to find then edit post.

Fuck it, too lazy, Googling. Look at this bedazzled motherfucker;

NJLkyl.jpg

Made this.

OzbBc.jpg

Halo 4 sniper isnt awful, but its kinda awkward, losing a little bit of that iconic Halo sniper look. I would say Reach has the best design IMO.

I like where they are going with the new sniper, but it needs another art pass IMO, make it either look more unique or try to make it look more like Reach..right now it sits in between something new and a revision.

Or maybe making the scope piece a bit smaller would make it looks less awkward? I dunno.

In the profile shot I saw in this thread it was clearly bigger. I will try to find then edit post.

Fuck it, too lazy, Googling. Look at this bedazzled motherfucker;

NJLkyl.jpg

Ok, it looks fucking sexy from the side. Damn.

So someone explain what the junk on top of the sniper is? How does it fit in canon? Every game has that right part it seems but that left part is new

O also snipes been revealed so stinkles will there be a noscope custom game option in h4?

Ryaaan14

Banned
So someone explain what the junk on top of the sniper is? How does it fit in canon? Every game has that right part it seems but that left part is new

They forgot to bring the Sniper tech aboard the Infinity, resorted to rudimentary objects. Or they just have a Pixar employee on staff at 343 who felt inspired.

A more manual aim incase the digital systems on the sniper fails?
Just looks ridiculous and ugly.

I don't want to be known as a negative guy..

I don't care about looks but that thing takes up the entire bottom right of the screen, almost upto the reticle. Killing visibility is probably they're way of killing no scoping but I like being able to no scope :(

Also want to chime in and say that IMO, both the Sniper Rifle and BR look out of place. The DMR, AR, and pistol all look fine, but the BR style does not fit in with any of the rest, and the Sniper scope is plain hideous (though it looks great in profile). Slap a reach-esque scope on there and reduce the handlebar and it would look much better. Alternatively, just bring back the Reach sniper.

heckfu

Banned
I dunno, call me a homer but I like the new sniper. It's not my favorite of the series but I definitely think it has a cool look to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom