• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't usually care to go to midnight releases for games, but Halo... I can't skip the midnight release. So many good times have been had with friends and with each game. So pumped for this year!

I just have to play it that night. That's my thing.

I think this might be the first Halo game since Halo 2 where I just jump into the online multiplayer right away.

I won't. I gotta knock campaign out of the way so I can play MP for the next 3 years.

I always do a solo Heroic run through campaign before doing anything else. All this midnight release talk is killing me though. I can't wait.

Computron

Every time I replay LOLsis 2, I find something new:

Lol.gif

Posted by Tycho from Penny Arcade:
There was an authentically hilarious slab of unintentional theater at Kuantico yesterday entitled “Gaming’s Biggest Problem Is That Nobody Wants To Talk,” which can reasonably and with increased precision be retitled, “Why Wont Game Industry Professionals Willingly Feed Their Hand Directly Into My Career-Pulverizing Chipper Shredder.” It conflates a plea for the furtherance of his own livelihood with some kind of democratized info utopia. These fucking people.

They are talking, though. They talk constantly. They’re just not talking to you, because they don’t trust you - or because they’re legally restrained, or restrained by the wisdom of another’s personal experience. An errant - read, “honest” - word becomes your entire story. Speech in presumed confidence or among fellow professionals is fit to broadcast. They cannot, will not, and must not put the fate of multimillion dollar projects in your greasy fucking clutch. The examples he gives of people doin’ it rite is an exercise in myopia. Tim Schafer, Notch, Cliff Bleszinski, and Gabe Newell can afford to be frank because they either own their companies or are brands in and of themselves, functionally unfirable. This is literally the speech and conception of a child.

Dialogue is founded on trust. For the purposes of this conversation, the game industry is the Monk. And the Journalist - very specifically the kind of belt-fed, high ROF ejaculation engine he’s party to - is the Scorpion. Historically speaking, Scorpion Advice is probably something you can do without.

Thought that some here could benefit from this perspective.

ZalinKrow

I always do a solo Heroic run through campaign before doing anything else. All this midnight release talk is killing me though. I can't wait.

This. I'm hyped enough already, thinking about being at the midnight release is overkill :p And yeah, heroic is a great difficulty for a first playthrough. It's a great difficulty in general, nice balance of challenging and fun.

In theory it's simple:

Kick players after 3 betrayals, reset the counter after 1 game. If a player gets booted, because of betrayals like 3-5 times in a row, ban him, because of unsporting conduct,

If a player does 3-5 suicides in a row, boot him. If he repeats it, ban him, too.

If a player is AFK for about 2 minutes, kick him, too. Ban him, if he repeats it.

Bans could be something like in Reach (Credit ban, quit ban) or some new ones.

I don't know, how dfficult it is to implement this in praxis
whooops fixed
, but it can't be that challenging. Other games are doing it, too and it helps a lot, IMO.

Hire croatia!

Oh, and someone asked me to say hi to EviLore? I think it was OddOne. If it was, he didn't know you, but he said hi back. If it wasn't, don't blame me, I was drunk last night.

a zoojoo

Banned
OddOne made a sticker request last night, thought I'd share it with everyone.
I can ask for a zoojoo approved sticker?
From the cool pics thread.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m823e5tfcH1qdqlkxo11_1280.jpg[img]
[url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40589258&postcount=4032[/url]

Wasn't bigshow from the OT6 batch of juniors? Goddamn.[/QUOTE]
OT5 fo lyfe
[quote="Plywood, post: 40603034"][IMG]http://i.minus.com/imRHXIfGKcwCS.gif
Kill that shit with fyre.

My brain just melted.

Computron

Woah, I just found a cool new graphical technique presentation:

So these guys are doing something similar to how Halo-Anniversary/Cryengine-3/Crysis-2 on consoles render their 'fake' 3D, except they are applying it in a different way which allows them to convert a 30 FPS game into 60 FPS gameplay with a cheap post process that can also render cheap stereoscopic 3D from a single 2D frame, Depth of Feild and high quality motion blur.

I don't know how well the 60 FPS conversion would work with an FPS like Halo 4 since the effect is diminished with pixels that are close to the camera, creating inconsistencies, but it's cool anyway. Works well with the racing game they showed.

(Video demo inside)

Did anyone confirm whether Halo 4 would be in 3d?

I remember Crysis 2 console 3D was actually very well done, with practically no resolution, framerate or LOD hit.

Tashi

Hire croatia!

Oh, and someone asked me to say hi to EviLore? I think it was OddOne. If it was, he didn't know you, but he said hi back. If it wasn't, don't blame me, I was drunk last night.

Ask EviLore to put you in a choke hold.

So these guys are doing something similar to how Halo-Anniversary/Cryengine-3/Crysis-2 on consoles render their 'fake' 3D, except they are applying it in a different way to make 60 FPS gameplay from a 30 FPS game with a cheap post process that can also render cheap stereoscopic 3D from a single 2D frame, Depth of Feild and high quality motion blur.

I don't know how well the 60 FPS conversion would work with an FPS like since the effect is diminished with pixels that are close to the camera, creating inconsistencies, but it's cool anyway. Works well with the racing game they showed.

(Video demo inside)

I remember Crysis 2 console 3D was actually very well done, with practically no resolution, framerate or LOD hit.
Halo 4 won't be in 3D. Halo: Anniversary was in 3D because Saber had the technology for it already.

Arnie

It gave me a headache after 20 minutes. The effect was really good but I could just feel each cubic millimetre of my eyes straining and combusting as this 3D effect pressed it's way into my brain.

Ryaaan14

Banned

So these guys are doing something similar to how Halo-Anniversary/Cryengine-3/Crysis-2 on consoles render their 'fake' 3D, except they are applying it in a different way to make 60 FPS gameplay from a 30 FPS game with a cheap post process that can also render cheap stereoscopic 3D from a single 2D frame, Depth of Feild and high quality motion blur.

I don't know how well the 60 FPS conversion would work with an FPS like since the effect is diminished with pixels that are close to the camera, creating inconsistencies, but it's cool anyway. Works well with the racing game they showed.

(Video demo inside)

Seems like a shittier way to do the "image smoothing" post-processing that 120hz tvs do, except you get a blurrier image instead of a milisecond of lag. I've played Halo 3 with my 120hz smoothing on and dat shit cray. Almost impossible to play well, but it looks insane.

So these guys are doing something similar to how Halo-Anniversary/Cryengine-3/Crysis-2 on consoles render their 'fake' 3D, except they are applying it in a different way which allows them to convert a 30 FPS game into 60 FPS gameplay with a cheap post process that can also render cheap stereoscopic 3D from a single 2D frame, Depth of Feild and high quality motion blur.

(Video demo inside)

AFAIK, Halo 4 will not support 3d.

Computron

Halo 4 won't be in 3D. Halo: Anniversary was in 3D because Saber had the technology for it already.

The tech they used is a simple post process shader that can be easily applied to any renderer that allows you easy access to the depth buffer. It's hacky and kinda fake compared to rendering the scene twice with a slight offest like most tradition 3D rendering, but it's doesn't require you to render twice as many FPS so it's cheap and looks decent.

I think Halo 4 could be extended with this tech.

It has a lot to do with AFK

If you're AFK enough in reach... You get banned

The thing is more people will do it because unless you're a repeat offender... There is almost no negative
Even if you have ranked, it doesn't fix AFK, it doesn't automatically make AFK not happen. Even if you argue that ranked playlists have a significant impact on how much AFK happens, it doesn't make it go away, so it can't be the solution. The solution is already out there, plenty of other games do, implement a system that kicks players after X time of inactivity.
I won't. I gotta knock campaign out of the way so I can play MP for the next 2 years.
Fixed

Starts the next HaloGAF debate.
Every time I replay LOLsis 2, I find something new:

Lol.gif

That's awesome!

Computron

Seems like a shittier way to do the "image smoothing" post-processing that 120hz tvs do, except you get a blurrier image instead of a milisecond of lag. I've played Halo 3 with my 120hz smoothing on and dat shit cray. Almost impossible to play well, but it looks insane.

It's not the same thing. Your TV doesn't have any knowledge of the scene or the content of the picture so it has to apply smoothing globally, this on the other hand, works directly from the depth buffer and can be optimized to remove a lot of artifacts you would see with TV smoothing.

Notice how well it works for objects off in the distance of the FPS conversion segment of the video. the foreground isn't super blurry because they they don't apply the effect globally, instead it is almost as if those parts are playing at 30 FPS and they scale the effect with the pixel depth and velocity. Meaning they only apply the effect where it is possible to benefit from it.

the inconsistency can be a little jarring, but I think I could get used to that in a racing game.

I don't know how well the 60 FPS conversion would work with an FPS like Halo 4 since the effect is diminished with pixels that are close to the camera, creating inconsistencies, but it's cool anyway. Works well with the racing game they showed.

(Video demo inside)

Didnt Lucas arts work on something like this?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-force-unleashed-60fps-tech-article

Similar?

Tashi

Even if you have ranked, it doesn't fix AFK, it doesn't automatically make AFK not happen. Even if you argue that ranked playlists have a significant impact on how much AFK happens, it doesn't make it go away, so it can't be the solution. The solution is already out there, plenty of other games do, implement a system that kicks players after X time of inactivity.

Fixed

Starts the next HaloGAF debate.

That's awesome!

Lol. I vote for 3 years.

Karl2177

Random topic: SmartGlass was introduced at E3 and they showed a little bit with Halo 4. Does anyone have any predictions for what could be included in such an app or if/how it is integrated with Waypoint?

Computron

This is new to me, thanks for the link.

Yes, it is similar.

Also, the article clearly states the point I was trying to make to Ryan;

Andreev first got the idea for the technique by studying 120Hz TVs that interpolate two frames in order to produce an intermediate image, producing a smoother picture. Software filters on some media players (for example Philips' Trimension as seen on the WinDVD player) were also considered. If this approach could be replicated within the game engine, an effect far more pleasing than most motion blur algorithms could be produced.

With the effect being done in the game engine you wouldn't have your TV adding latency and you could remove a lot of the artifacts commonly seen in other methods.

Ryan, I recommend you watch the videos that are in Stalker's link.

That was an awesome article, hell they even mentioned Halo PC regarding it's 30FPS animations and 60 FPS gameplay.
I wanna play RAGE now, that should hold me over until the new 'Carmack Speaks Volume 3' gets posted on Quakecon's Youtube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom