• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT7| You may leave, Juices. And take Team Downer with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

a zoojoo

Banned
Did 343 test Halo Anni at all?

The audio levels are terrible. Can't hear Cortana at all.
Same with the ost. Who ever mixed that must of been severly, severly deaf. It hurts to listen to it, it's been so badly compressed and limited.
Please let me re-remaster it. My ears hurt.

Pop

This Oddbase Swordball all night is really starting to rustle my jimmies. Why can't I just get the jackpot so I can be done with this playlist.

GhaleonEB

I've been out all day celebrating my daughter's birthday, so I'm a ways behind on the thread. But reading through, there was some good discussion today. Therefore, multiquote.

I've said this before, but I think the sandbox benefits without enemy wielding long-range weapons. There's no trial-and-error with enemies who wield a sniper rifle or focus rifle. I can't think of an encounter where I'm not pressured to take those guys out first. You can't leave them for later; you have to take them out as soon as you enter the area.

The Focus rifle is better than the sniper rifle, yes, but even so: Halo 1 had it right in this regard.
I strongly disagree; for me, this was one of Halo 1's great flaws. As a general rule, the enemy should be able to engage us from the same distance we can engage them. Not at all times - a sniper turkey shoot or DMR donging can be quite fun. But when the enemy is literally never equipped beyond close range as they were in Halo 1, that means any open spaces or even medium spaces revolve around turkey shoots. (This was one of Reach's flaws as well, though in that case it was brought about by the DMR extending our range beyond the Convenant's.)

What I don't like is being headshot with no notice, which is why the Focus Rifle hit a sweet spot.

I hope this whole process has changed for Halo 4. Waiting a whole month for an issue to be fixed in a map is just flat out unacceptable. I understand that there's serious testing that needs to happen, but really, that is a serious issue.

Like I said, there's emergency fixes and then there's just fixes. If you update more frequently, it costs tons more money and time for diminishing returns. Once a month is a pretty good rate, they've been using it since Halo 3 launched and it works well.

Another problem with too frequent updating is you can get into a situation where you're chasing updates with updates.

*snip*
I'm a process oriented guy, so I respect and value stable, thorough processes to implement change; good change management demands them. That said, there's got to be a sweet spot that is further along the spectrum between Reach on one end, and continuous, make-work updates on the other. The Sword Base ledge in Living Dead really highlighted this, where it took months to prioritize a fix to that game-breaking problem, but the fix itself was incomplete. It took another month to fix it properly. Problems like that should be able to be escalated in such a way that they can be addressed without leaving a broken game type in matchmaking for a month.

The recent roll out of the broken Limited NEP Firefight mode was another; it was not intended to have sniper Heretics, for example. The NEP game types were rolled out and players were annihilated in Limited, turning players off from the mode for a full month before they were fixed. There's got to be an escalation path to implement more critical fixes than the very rare instances we've seen (MLG gravity).

Some combination of the internal tool set and pipeline have simply got to be streamlined, particularly with all the new options and tools that Halo 4 is bringing to the table. The complexity of the game itself will demand a more responsive matchmaking maintenance scheme.

He was in charge of FF. He's also the nicest person, aside from Tim Dadabo(sp?) I've ever met within the Halo family. :p
This is true. Lars is one of my favorite guys at Bungie; great designer, super nice and personable person.

This is why Reach will have reduced maintenance for the next few months. Short term investment in long term fixes.
This is the kind of trade off I'm quite happy to have. Reach's launch situation was disastrous and it would be hugely damaging if something similar were to occur to Halo 4, which is a re-launch of the franchise of sorts. Getting the initial playlists right is critical.

We're going to have a lot more info about the overall combat sandbox in the not too distant future.
This is good to hear.

Please: summarize and/or roll that information out via Waypoint, rather than spread through panels, second hand reports, magazine misinterpretations, and so on. Halo 4's roll out has been challenging to keep tabs on compared to prior Halo titles; we really could use more official resources and data.

Computron

Anyone here use Twixtor on Halo footage?

I would love to see some 60fps gameplay footage, but googling only produces Youtube videos which downsample back to 30fps, defeating the purpose, or slow down the footage for slow mo.

Blueblur1

Please: summarize and/or roll that information out via Waypoint, rather than spread through panels, second hand reports, magazine misinterpretations, and so on. Halo 4's roll out has been challenging to keep tabs on compared to prior Halo titles; we really could use more official resources and data.

I remember getting most of the info on previous Halo games from magazines and exclusive previews with convention panels providing additional/supplemental information. That was such a better way of marketing the game and serving the fan base simultaneously.

FyreWulff

No midnight launch for you?

Interesting how my tables have turned. Due to my new job, it's actually part of the contract that I participate in the Halo 4 midnight launch.

I'm a process oriented guy, so I respect and value stable, thorough processes to implement change; good change management demands them. That said, there's got to be a sweet spot that is further along the spectrum between Reach on one end, and continuous, make-work updates on the other. The Sword Base ledge in Living Dead really highlighted this, where it took months to prioritize a fix to that game-breaking problem, but the fix itself was incomplete. It took another month to fix it properly. Problems like that should be able to be escalated in such a way that they can be addressed without leaving a broken game type in matchmaking for a month.

I'd love some faster updates myself, but Microsoft has to actually give the studio the manpower to do it. I know both me and you have insight on roughly how many people are involved in the process, and they definitely need to give the employees more helping hands in that process.

It's also a definite fingerprint of the Microsoft culture. I've done a few stuff (via working for another developer) involved with MS, and they're definitely into the Patch Tuesday once-a-month cycle, in all divisions.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Interesting how my tables have turned. Due to my new job, it's actually part of the contract that I participate in the Halo 4 midnight launch.

I'd love some faster updates myself, but Microsoft has to actually give the studio the manpower to do it. I know both me and you have insight on roughly how many people are involved in the process, and they definitely need to give the employees more helping hands in that process.

It's also a definite fingerprint of the Microsoft culture. I've done a few stuff (via working for another developer) involved with MS, and they're definitely into the Patch Tuesday once-a-month cycle, in all divisions.

Mind if I ask how you'll be participating?

zap

Where are you working?

GhaleonEB

It's something that I suspect is part of many large corporations; I work for a company of comparable size and revenues as Microsoft and see this often. There can be many causes behind it, from culture to tools and systems to staffing and budget priorities. It's likely a mix of all of the above, but from what I understand, the entire matchmaking update process really needs better tools.

Total side note, but part of my fascination with this is because process design is a big part of my job. I've spent years designing or helping to redesign financial processes for a living, with a focus on efficiency and optimal output. It's been almost all I've done for the past two years; I'm really fascinated with process design and work flow constraints. So I'm naturally curious when I see suboptimal output with signs of process limitations associated with it (such as not making critical yet trivial fixes for a month).

zap

Solitary on Doubles with Jetpacks

really.....

end this suffering

i-know-that-feel.jpg

FyreWulff

Mind if I ask how you'll be participating?

Where are you working?

NDA'd. But not any Microsoft or Microsoft division.

It's one of those things where I wish I could talk about it more openly, but I like money and holding to NDAs (in fact, I did get that post I just made approved, so I'm still in line). Someday, hopefully not too far in the future, I'll be posting a huge writeup on what I've been doing. I DID get the job based on something Halo-related I did, and it is so very still tangentially Halo inspired, but it's not something MS is doing.

There is actually a slim chance that Frankie has actually seen or been shown my work. I have like, fucking layers of NDAs going on, with the contract, the CCs, etc :lol It'll feel awesome when all of them expire eventually and I can let it all out.

tl;dr Life turned around for me in the past 4 months.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Monday, November 5, 11:55pm - drive 120mph down the street to GameStop to pick up my copy > drive 120mph right back home > play until eyes bleed > sleep then go to school > come home and play until eyes bleed > rinse & repeat until Halo 5 > rinse & repeat until Halo 6 > rinse & repeat until next trilogy > die

CyReN

Monday, November 5, 11:55pm - drive 120mph down the street to GameStop to pick up my copy > drive 120mph right back home > play until eyes bleed > sleep then go to school > come home and play until eyes bleed > rinse & repeat until Halo 5 > rinse & repeat until Halo 6 > rinse & repeat until next trilogy > die

vote_or_die.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
nelson_haha.gif

I have no class election day :D

Have you checked your campus's schedule? I know of several colleges that are out Nov 6.

zap

It's one of those things where I wish I could talk about it more openly, but I like money and holding to NDAs (in fact, I did get that post I just made approved, so I'm still in line). Someday, hopefully not too far in the future, I'll be posting a huge writeup on what I've been doing. I DID get the job based on something Halo-related I did, and it is so very still tangentially Halo inspired, but it's not something MS is doing.

There is actually a slim chance that Frankie has actually seen or been shown my work. I have like, fucking layers of NDAs going on, with the contract, the CCs, etc :lol It'll feel awesome when all of them expire eventually and I can let it all out.

Sounds pretty sweet, man. Grats on the mysterious job :p

Tashi

Tawp sheekarat!

There is actually a slim chance that Frankie has actually seen or been shown my work. I have like, ****ing layers of NDAs going on, with the contract, the CCs, etc :lol It'll feel awesome when all of them expire eventually and I can let it all out.

Surely disclosing your employer is not breaching the terms of your NDA.

ahahaha amazing, but there should be a single tear rolling down the eagle's cheek

also congrats on that whole life thing, I've no idea what I want to do with mine

Life's more fun that way.

Speaking of things that aren't that fun, I'm reading the Dark Knight Rises shooting script right now. Why am I doing this?

Life's more fun that way.

Speaking of things that aren't that fun, I'm reading the Dark Knight Rises shooting script right now. Why am I doing this?
Well, I kinda know what I want to do, but that is travel the world and never work, so obviously that's a bit out of reach. Problem is that I'm about to graduate in a major that pretty much leads to working at a desk for the rest of my life and that's about the last thing I want to do

Ken

What if the NDA says don't tell anyone who your employer is.

Well, I kinda know what I want to do, but that is travel the world and never work, so obviously that's a bit out of reach. Problem is that I'm about to graduate in a major that pretty much leads to working at a desk for the rest of my life and that's about the last thing I want to do

Are you fourth year now? The very first person to go up on stage for my commencement named themselves Forrest Gump.

FyreWulff

Glad to hear this.

Do you have insurance now? Particularly dental insurance?

That is being worked on. I can't get BC's general public health insurance until I've lived here for 6 months. They're working on getting it for me at the employment level, but it's a small company and I'm a foreign national, so hardmode activated.

Although from what I've heard, some of the giant companies we've worked with, their health insurance for their employees up here still is piss poor for covering dental, so it's probably going to be just like the US, save up a bunch of money and go to a Canadian doctor and be like "yo doc, yank dat shit and don't back out on me FOR THE LOVE OF GOD"

But yeah, second pax with these teeth. They're not flared up anymore so I should be more.. there this time, instead of being off in Vicodin-land.

It is, for various reasons. It's within the first paragraph :lol Only my mom, stepdad, and dad know and that's because I was able to tell them before I signed the newer NDA that had the requirement.

Yep. My last year of schooling. It's a scary thought.

Yeah same situation here. I will graduate with a Bachelors in Management Information Systems next spring, and I like the subject, but I'm still wary of this next step in my life.

Tashi

And on that subject, what have you been doing to lose so much weight?

Low carb- high fat Keto diet. Cheat almost meals every weekend. Exercise a few days a week(basketball, tennis, weightlifting, walking/jogging). 18.5 weeks. That's seriously it.

edit: And honestly, I wasn't even doing it right. I should not have been doing some of the exercises that I did but hey, it worked out in the end for me.

FyreWulff

OMG Fyrewulff is working for the CIA!!

Speaking of Fyrewulff, why no diet updates bro? I wanna know how you're doing!!

No scale available yet. I don't know which store sells them here in Canada. Halp.

All I know is I wore size 44 jeans in March, 42 in May, and now I can fit 38s as of last week. I also just moved over the past day and today, we carried a heavy as hell glass table from Yaletown to 10th and Oak. Got a lot of interesting looks on the Skytrain.

Yeah same situation here. I will graduate with a Bachelors in Management Information Systems next spring, and I like the subject, but I'm still wary of this next step in my life.
Informatics (Software Engineering) here. Programming's fun and all, but I just don't know what I want to do with it.

Low carb- high fat Keto diet. Cheat almost meals every weekend. Exercise a few days a week(basketball, tennis, weightlifting, walking/jogging). 18.5 weeks. That's seriously it.
I tried Keto last summer, it was just so hard to keep up with. Especially when I'm not making my own meals, and my family doesn't really get it.

And goddamn do I love bread

Every time I replay LOLsis 2, I find something new:

Lol.gif

Omg, Halo now needs water man cannons/lifts on some maps rather than the typical energy or air lifts. So awesome.

Sounds pretty awesome, and given that its related to Halo 4 but not Microsoft I'm excited to see what you may be involved in. I assume its some sort of partnership company, such as something like 'Halo 4 Gamefuel' only not that simple or specific. Whatever it may be, congrats.

No scale available yet. I don't know which store sells them here in Canada. Halp.

All I know is I wore size 44 jeans in March, 42 in May, and now I can fit 38s as of last week. I also just moved over the past day and today, we carried a heavy as hell glass table from Yaletown to 10th and Oak. Got a lot of interesting looks on the Skytrain.

You should just get a body measuring tape. Measuring yourself feels infinitely more meaningfull IMO.

Tashi

Hell yea man! Also, what kind of scale? One to weigh yourself or your food? I got my body scale on Amazon. Thing works wonderfully.

Informatics (Software Engineering) here. Programming's fun and all, but I just don't know what I want to do with it.

I tried Keto last summer, it was just so hard to keep up with. Especially when I'm not making my own meals, and my family doesn't really get it.

It is hard to keep up. But after a few weeks it just totally became nature to me. Also, I buy huge bags of peanuts and those really tide me over when I get hungry and am unable to come across a real meal. Honestly it's going to be weird to eat normal food again when I get off the diet next Monday. I'm going to start lifting heavy and bulking up so my food intake is going to basically triple lol. I'm also hiding my scale when I start the bulking. Going strictly by the mirror. Damn, I gotta order some protein too. Shiiiiit.

FyreWulff

Bread tastes so much better on keto though. It's like a drug when you let yourself have it. I didn't go zero carbs, just minimized them. Because I can't turn down my stepdad's tacos.

B3H4cl.jpg

Fuck, first thing when I go to Nebraska, I'm demanding that he make them for dinner. Let's just say I'm missing my mexi-bros up here :lol

Hell yea man! Also, what kind of scale? One to weigh yourself or your food? I got my body scale on Amazon. Thing works wonderfully.

Weigh myself with. I think I'm supposed to go to one they have here called Winners. I just went to Wal Mart back in Nebraska... fucking hell, just reminded me that Omaha has like 6 or 7 24 hour Wal Marts and they're opening anothjer one. How that city supports that many, I'll never know

dear 343, bring back the butter bars. I never got my chance at them in Halo 3 and I want a chance now.

Force Colonel is best rank. Sounds better than just "General".

If I got a 50 tomorrow, I'd immediately go from Force Colonel to 5 Star General, even if I earned no exp along the way.

edit: might have a Blackmagic Shuttle by tomorrow. I'm going to stream the hell out of Reach on twitch if so.

The hell you need to diet for? You looked tiny in that pic you posted a while back.
I've had a belly for years that I'd like to get rid of. I'm really self-conscious about it. I used to be 30 pounds heavier, which is probably a factor. Long story short, I went from doing gymnastics 15-20 hours a week to nothing, but my eating habits didn't change so I put on a lot of weight and I'm still working to get it back off

It is hard to keep up. But after a few weeks it just totally became nature to me. Also, I buy huge bags of peanuts and those really tide me over when I get hungry and am unable to come across a real meal. Honestly it's going to be weird to eat normal food again when I get off the diet next Monday. I'm going to start lifting heavy and bulking up so my food intake is going to basically triple lol. I'm also hiding my scale when I start the bulking. Going strictly by the mirror. Damn, I gotta order some protein too. Shiiiiit.
aren't you not supposed to eat peanuts, since they're a legume and not a nut, and full of carbs? That's what I remember, anyway, could be wrong. If it's working though then I guess it doesn't matter too much haha. Almonds though, that's the good stuff

Tashi

I've had a belly for years that I'd like to get rid of. I'm really self-conscious about it. I used to be 30 pounds heavier, which is probably a factor. Long story short, I went from doing gymnastics 15-20 hours a week to nothing, but my eating habits didn't change so I put on a lot of weight and I'm still working to get it back off

aren't you not supposed to eat peanuts, since they're a legume and not a nut, and full of carbs? That's what I remember, anyway, could be wrong. If it's working though then I guess it doesn't matter too much haha. Almonds though, that's the good stuff

I get about 3 grams of carbs from my peanuts per serving. And about 3 grams of fiber which is really good. And yea, if I could just replace the peanuts with Almonds, I would be so happy. They're fucking expensive though. I also snack on Sunflower seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom