• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
recorded our CTF match in Exile. Had lavalier mics in my headset to record audio. 20 minutes, will upload as soon as I can borrow a laptop.

bsangel came over and teased me when I spent the first 5 minutes just going through the loadout options.

yes!! so clutch

nillapuddin

Reposted armor mod list

Tactical Package: 10
  • None
  • Mobility: Unlimited Sprint
  • Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
  • Resupply: Pick up grenades from fallen Spartans
  • AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
  • Grenadier: Increases grenade carrying capacity
  • Firepower: Carry 2 primary weapons
  • Fast Track: Increased XP bonus*
  • Requisition: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop*
  • Wheelman: Lessened EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff*
Support Upgrade: 12
  • None
  • Ammo: Hold more Ammo
  • Dexterity: Faster reloads and weapon swaps
  • Sensor: Increased Motion Tracker Range
  • Awareness: Use radar while scoped
  • Explosives: Increases blast radius, decreases damage received
  • Ordnance Priority: More frequent ordnance drops
  • Stability: Lessened knock out of scope*
  • Gunner: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret*
  • Drop Recon: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops*
  • Nemesis: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you*
  • Stealth: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassinations, dampened
    footsteps*

* Unlocked via Specializations
Bold = new
Underlined = Not shown in vid, but confirmed

Vire

recorded our CTF match in Exile. Had lavalier mics in my headset to record audio. 20 minutes, will upload as soon as I can borrow a laptop.

bsangel came over and teased me when I spent the first 5 minutes just going through the loadout options.

BORROW LAPTOP IMMEDIATELY. :p

Kuroyume

Banned
"YOU CAN NOT DROP THE FLAG."

tumblr_m55es2datM1r94e9jo1_500.gif

Easily the worst news ever. Worse than AAs returning. This is a joke. Like I don't even want to play the game anymore. You can throw the goodamn Oddball now but not the flag? Really? And flag carrier being able to use a pistol while moving around with it?

The only time I dropped a flag in Halo was so I could pick it up again.... literally not even a second later. Giving flag carriers faster movement and a waypoint is better than "FLAG DROPPED" "FLAG STOLEN" plus the flag's waypoint popping on and off the HUD.

The only thing it does away with is the style of play where you hold the flag and run very slowly around the map. Was that common in MLG? Honest question.

ivgvve7PJdPOo.gif

Seriously, 343 could announce tommorrow that they're cutting all the maps from the game and just have Forge World creations in matchmaking and you would find a way to spin it into good news.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Seriously, 343 could announce tommorrow that they're cutting all the maps from the game and just have Forge World creations in matchmaking and you would find a way to spin it into good news.

I thought he made a good point, just seems more people are willing to spin anything new into shit news.

Tashi

According to whomever is running the HaloGAF twitter at the moment. No personal Ordnance and no instant respawn. No instant respawn was an obvious one and I guess personal ordnance removal makes sense too. So it's not slayer unlimited :lol

Sounds good to me.

:lol awesome heckfu pic

Ken

LTTP but...I think disabling flag dropping is an okay idea.

It's an objective game so you need to protect the flag carrier. There's no need to when he can fight just as well as anyone else on the team by dropping the flag. While the objective is moving, the other team should enter a fight with some advantage to have a chance at stopping the capture.

Trey

Nobody is spinning anything. They're offering alternatives.

I guess +/- 300 players isn't that bad.

You're the one quantifying who would like to play "classic" Halo in this situation, and if it's that absurdly low of a number, then thank god 343 went the direction they did. We can put in Halo 3 and get that kind of draw any time.

I know it's fun to be stuck in hyperbole mode, though. Such a rush. Everything seems like either the worst or best thing ever.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I'd take a perk that nerfed my own nades, just to spread the goodwill coming off of Reach. :3

You're the one quantifying who would like to play "classic" Halo in this situation, and if it's that absurdly low of a number, then thank god 343 went the direction they did. We can put in Halo 3 and get that kind of draw any time.

I know it's fun to be stuck in hyperbole mode, though. Such a rush. Everything seems like either the worst or best thing ever.

If Halo 4 brings back parallel universe playlists... then that isn't so hyperbolic (6 months later, at least). Can't realistically expect everyone to like this particular change, as is clear.

Tashi

...I think disabling flag dropping is an okay idea.

It's an objective game so you need to protect the flag carrier. There's no need to when he can fight just as well as anyone else on the team by dropping the flag. While the objective is moving, the other team should enter a fight with some advantage to have a chance at stopping the capture.

He can't fight just as well as anyone else though.

nillapuddin

But we have no idea what that even means, as nillapuddin pointed out.

unfortunately I just made it out, I didnt feel like straining my eyes that hard at first, but good fucking lord did it start a shit storm

Explosives: Explosives alters grenade performance, increasing blast radius and decreasing grenade damage received.

edit:
eerie correlation with 300th post and member status

Fracas

#fuckonami
unfortunately I just made it out, I didnt feel like straining my eyes that hard at first, but good fucking lord did it start a shit storm

Explosives: Explosives alters grenade performance, increasing blast radius and decreasing grenade damage received.
Motherfucker.

Havok

...I think disabling flag dropping is an okay idea.

It could all be totally fine, there are just a bunch of weird tradeoffs being made that people are naturally apprehensive toward. You give the flag carrier a (pretty weak) weapon, but he can't switch away from it. You make the flag carrier faster, but then you broadcast his location to everyone in the match, making him an immediate target. I mean, you always needed to protect the flag carrier, whether it was through direct intervention and killing his attackers as he's being attacked, causing a distraction on the other side of the map so he can sneak away from it, or by spawn trapping people so that their pursuit options were limited. The carrier was always gonna have a few shots on him by the time he dropped the flag and turned around, making him an inherently weaker combatant because of his importance. Teamwork was always required. Now, with that waypoint that you can't escape by dropping the flag, some of those options are now limited.

Take a CTF game of Sanctuary or Asylum. Enemy grabs the flag, they take it one of four or five routes. The defenders, who have been outplayed and have lost their flag, needs to intuit which of the routes is the most likely for him to take immediately as they spawn and move to cut him off or hit him in the back. Now, it tells you exactly which route he's taking. There's no guesswork, and less map knowledge required. You're still requiring teamwork, but that definition is a little more strict.

I have no idea if it'll be great or terrible at this point, but without playing it? I'm not a huge fan, because of the combination of the waypoint and glue on the flag pole.

G17

"YOU CAN NOT DROP THE FLAG."

tumblr_m55es2datM1r94e9jo1_500.gif

And on top of that, a huge Waypoint blinking "KILL" showing you the location of the enemy flag carrier no matter where you are on the map or direction you are looking. That's a change I'm as worried about.

Throwing oddballs and not dropping flags... it's Halo 4.

Tashi

That's the point?

I mean in previous Halo games. Just because you can drop the flag, that doesn't mean you are not vulnerable as the flag runner.

edit: Unless I read your post wrong lol If I did then sorry.

Gonna be honest, I'd be cool with a perk that didn't modify grenade damage, but let you chuck them across the map Halo CE-style-

edit:

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK

Vire

edit:

This can't be real?

I've played maybe 2 games of CTF in Reach. I guess I don't really care about the flag change, but I definitely hope this is a like a glitch in the build or something. Not being able to switch totally sucks for those who do play CTF.

The Infinite Ammo Flag Pistol is just fucking strange.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Also saw no personal ordnance/Dax drops. Was it turned off?

It's CTF not infinity slayer.

edit:

Wait, wat?

It makes you do more damage and TAKE less damage with grenades?

That's some fucked up shit.

It should be do more and take MORE grenade damage.

Bsigg12

You know this is the reaction that 343i was prepping for and is going to clarify why they did it tomorrow. I think it adds a new dimension to the game because you have to know now as a team, when someone has the flag, it's theirs to the death. Single man flag rushes may be a thing of the past, at least in Infinity Objective.

I personally like the change because it forces teams to work together more. Having the flag carrier highlighted for the other team will force the attacking team to stick closer and coordinate where as in other games, the flag carrier could lone wolf it out the side while the team is all over the map.

Ken

It could all be totally fine, there are just a bunch of weird tradeoffs being made that people are naturally apprehensive toward. You give the flag carrier a (pretty weak) weapon, but he can't switch away from it. You make the flag carrier faster, but then you broadcast his location to everyone in the match, making him an immediate target. I mean, you always needed to protect the flag carrier, whether it was through direct intervention and killing his attackers as he's being attacked, causing a distraction on the other side of the map so he can sneak away from it, or by spawn trapping people so that their pursuit options were limited. Teamwork was always required. Now, with that waypoint that you can't escape by dropping the flag, some of those options are now limited.

Bolded I didn't know of since I just woke up to the MP trailer and then 2 pages of "NO FLAG DROPPING AHHHH."

Anyways, I think flag dropping being disabled is fine to stop stuff like this:

There was nothing better than dropping the flag, taking out a guy, then picking it back up and capping it when none of your team could help you.

from happening because if you're team isn't there to help you then you've kind of failed the team part of Team Objective. You're already moving the objective forwards so you really shouldn't be able to also contribute heavily to team fights.

I mean in previous Halo games. Just because you can drop the flag, that doesn't mean you are not vulnerable as the flag runner.

edit: Unless I read your post wrong lol If I did then sorry.

Past games if you dropped your flag you got both your weapons back and full mobility. In BR/DMR start game, you probably got back one of those and now you have a fighting chance against your attacker, not to mention a one-hit kill melee weapon in some settings.

edit:

I didnt feel like straining my eyes that hard at first, but good fucking lord did it start a shit storm

increasing blast radius and decreasing grenade damage received.

izr1Z3ZeAfpBa.gif

Top Bottom