• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Kuroyume

Banned
Just want to point out that unless there's a setting to change this, an amazing fun gametype like Flag Wars on Waterworks could never happen in H4.

blamite

unfortunately I just made it out, I didnt feel like straining my eyes that hard at first, but good fucking lord did it start a shit storm

Explosives: Explosives alters grenade performance, increasing blast radius and decreasing grenade damage received.

edit:
eerie correlation with 300th post and member status

That sounds fine, assuming it "decreasing grenade damage received" refers to the fact that grenades with larger range do less damage.

Otherwise it sounds kind of bad but not game breaking.

kylej

Banned
titanic-sinking.jpg

Redford

aka Cabbie
unfortunately I just made it out, I didnt feel like straining my eyes that hard at first, but good fucking lord did it start a shit storm

Explosives: Explosives alters grenade performance, increasing blast radius and decreasing grenade damage received.

edit:
eerie correlation with 300th post and member status

If that means only one or two players will have Reach nukes I consider that a very significant improvement.

That sounds fine, assuming it "decreasing grenade damage received" refers to the fact that grenades with larger range do less damage.

This would be wonderful.

In addition would this mean the player only has the one/two nades they start with?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, good thing grenades can't be picked up off bodies without the other perk, right...? I mean, seriously, that perk sounds shitty, but I don't see grenade spam being as bad as it was in 3 and Reach.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bolded I didn't know of since I just woke up to the MP trailer and then 2 pages of "NO FLAG DROPPING AHHHH."

Anyways, I think flag dropping being disabled is fine to stop stuff like this:

from happening because if you're team isn't there to help you then you've kind of failed the team part of Team Objective.

The situation that bobs described is basically a super satisfying montage situation. You are at a disadvantage against everyone when you're running flag unless you've got rockets in your back pocket.

Just wondering what the general consensus is with these categories because there seems to be a lot of mixing/matching.. My list:
  • Faster flag movement: Good - How they made you run like a damn slug in Halo 3/Reach was beyond me.. I don't see how anyone can complain about this seeing as how the gunplay is obviously wayyy better this time around.
  • Pistol w/ flag: Good - Why not? The Pistol seems like something that'll just be a nuisance for people trying to kill you.. Doesn't seem like it'll change anything except giving the flag holder a little more hope/power.
  • Cannot drop the flag: Bad - Forcing that is bad for too many obvious reasons.
  • Waypoint on flag holder: Bad - Unless the flag guy runs insanely fast (which is not the case), there should not be a constant Waypoint over their head.
Just my 2 cents..

nillapuddin

Honestly I think you have it here

INCREASE RADIUS
AND
DECREASE DAMAGE

not neccesarily, my nades do more, your nades do less.

You might have just saved HaloGAF

edit: so help me god if yall ignore the Prophet of Blamite

Plain Ben

Pretty sure it means that you take less grenade damage while giving out more. It doesn't really say 'grenades do less damage' or 'at the expense of less damage'. But hey I could be wrong.

You know this is the reaction that 343i was prepping for and is going to clarify why they did it tomorrow. I think it adds a new dimension to the game because you have to know now as a team, when someone has the flag, it's theirs to the death. Single man flag rushes may be a thing of the past, at least in Infinity Objective.

I personally like the change because it forces teams to work together more. Having the flag carrier highlighted for the other team will force the attacking team to stick closer and coordinate where as in other games, the flag carrier could lone wolf it out the side while the team is all over the map.

Keep in mind the unlimited ammo pistol means the flag carrier can potentially fight forever (or alone) if absolutely necessary, though. We're gonna see some fails/montage clips of people getting overkill exterminations by mopping up the entire enemy team while holding the flag, I'm sure.

EDIT:

Well, good thing grenades can't be picked up off bodies without the other perk, right...? I mean, seriously, that perk sounds shitty, but I don't see grenade spam being as bad as it was in 3 and Reach.

Just realized, the only situation where Explosives could be truly truly gamebreaking would be if grenades were available everywhere... and since you can't use the "pick grenades up off dead bodies" perk alongside it, that probably helps balance it out.

INCREASE RADIUS
DECREASE DAMAGE

It may do the same "base damage," just over a wider area. For example, let's say a grenade is hitting 100 points at any given time, with a total of 500 damage. It would still do a total 500 damage to vehicles/scenery/etc, just spread out over 150 points. So they'd probably feel weaker, really.

neoism

The thing about these changes to CTF is that they make the player NOT want to pick up the flag.

Why would I want to pick something up that confines me to a single shitty offhand weapon, I can't drop it and I have a moving target over my head at all times?

Bungie already struggled to get people to actually play the objective, this is only going to make it worse.
lol same as reach for me I my have like 20 caps in 1k+ obj games... o'well just other game where i shoot people in objective...

INCREASE RADIUS
DECREASE DAMAGE

this is okay.

im still pissed about being able to reload faster.

Fracas

#fuckonami
You know this is the reaction that 343i was prepping for and is going to clarify why they did it tomorrow. I think it adds a new dimension to the game because you have to _________. ___________ may be a thing of the past, at least in ______________.

I personally like the change because it forces teams to _________ more.___________ will force the attacking team to ______________ where as in other games, ____________.
Can this be the new template for Team Slurp posts? :p

Ken

The situation that bobs described is basically a super satisfying montage situation. You are at a disadvantage against everyone when you're running flag unless you've got rockets in your back pocket.

No?

Also not sure how I feel about designing a game around "super satisfying montage situations."

Havok

Just wondering what the general consensus is with these categories because there seems to be a lot of mixing/matching.. My list:
  • Faster flag movement: Good - How they made you run like a damn slug in Halo 3/Reach was beyond me.. I don't see how anyone can complain about this seeing as how the gunplay is obviously wayyy better this time around.
  • Pistol w/ flag: Good - Why not? The Pistol seems like something that'll just be a nuisance for people trying to kill you.. Doesn't seem like it'll change anything except giving the flag holder a little more hope/power.
  • Cannot drop the flag: Bad - Forcing that is bad for too many obvious reasons.
  • Waypoint on flag holder: Bad - Unless the flag guy runs insanely fast (which is not the case), there should not be a constant Waypoint over their head.
Just my 2 cents..
Pretty much. And even then, I don't think any one of those single elements is a wholly bad thing in the absence of all the others. It's kind of a cumulative effect of the negatives that people are backlashing against -- the pistol being weak and forced on the player with no ability to switch, the waypoint being impossible to remove, the carrier becoming a target and less effective at the same time. I'm really hoping that pistol being there means that the flag is no longer a one-hit kill. Flag carriers being fast again is something I was hoping they'd do in lieu of giving them weapons, but close enough, I guess.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
gV1dO.png

Pretty much. And even then, I don't think any one of those single elements is a wholly bad thing in the absence of all the others. It's kind of a cumulative effect of the negatives that people are backlashing against -- the pistol being weak and forced on the player with no ability to switch, the waypoint being unable to remove, the carrier becoming a target and less effective at the same time. I'm really hoping that pistol being there means that the flag is no longer a one-hit kill.
Yeah, that's true for me. I'm looking forward to clarification from 343.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
No?

Also not sure how I feel about designing a game around "super satisfying montage situations."

When are you at a 1 on 1 advantage when you're running the flag?

It's not designing the game around those situations. I was clarifying what I thought to be what Bobs was talking about. It's satisfying for him to drop flag, kill someone and then capture the flag because he's at a disadvantage.

senador

Banned
This game needs to fucking come out so we can try it. Its not fun being all confused all the time in regards to the new details and options of the game.

Seance

Banned
I just thought of something:

What if Halo 4 is going to be the CoD4 for fps?

Think about it on many different levels.

CoD4 was the CoD4 for fps. Because it was CoD4, and an fps.
seriously, i have zero clue what you mean

Anyway all this news has to be some kind of bad joke. Only good thing i've seen today is the rocks/cliffs on the new map look amazing. So glad that Reach's "gritty" style is dead.

Wait wait.

So you can't drop a flag but you can use a pistol. However everyone can fucking track you down based on an arrow above your head?

Yeah count me as someone who already doesn't like the sound of this.

Bsigg12

Can this be the new template for Team Slurp posts? :p

Bravo, so very clever of you. I'm not a 343i or Microsoft fanboy by any means. I don't play Call of Duty because I hate the imbalanced shit they shovel out every year.

I like that Halo is changing, it needs to in my opinion. It's my opinion so back off

Fracas

#fuckonami
Bravo, so very clever of you. I'm not a 343i or Microsoft fanboy by any means. I don't play Call of Duty because I hate the imbalanced shit they shovel out every year.

I like that Halo is changing, it needs to in my opinion. It's my opinion so back off
I was just joking lol. Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

what will you guys do if this has crappier multiplayer than Reach
Halo 3 all day errday

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This game needs to fucking come out so we can try it. Its not fun being all confused all the time in regards to the new details and options of the game.
343 needs to release something flashy and informative like the Reach Beta Trailer.

CAN'T SNEAK WITH FLAG
FORCED TO USE A PISTOL
CAN'T DROP FLAG
BUT HEY YOU CAN MOVE FASTER

That'll really sell the new "features".

kylej

Banned

I don't play Call of Duty because I hate the imbalanced shit they shovel out every year.

don't play because I hate the imbalanced shit

don't play because imbalanced shit

Well boy do I have some good news for you!

JackHerer

It's changing alright. Into Call of Duty.

I am very disappointed in this recent news. Grenade damage perk and faster reload perks are really pushing it 343. I can accept a few shitty ideas being in my Halo but you're really piling it on now.. I am hoping for the best but I think I really might just buy this game for campaign and shelve it after unless there is a good classic or MLG playlist.

I hope this is an overreaction or misjudgment on my part and that the game is actually good. But everything I've heard today has really been pretty negative.

neoism

Tactical Package: 10
  • None
  • Mobility: Unlimited Sprint
  • Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
  • Resupply: Pick up grenades from fallen Spartans
  • AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
  • Grenadier: Increases grenade carrying capacity
  • Firepower: Carry 2 primary weapons
  • Fast Track: Increased XP bonus*
  • Requisition: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop*
  • Wheelman: Lessened EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff*
Support Upgrade: 12
  • None
  • Ammo: Hold more Ammo
  • Dexterity: Faster reloads and weapon swaps
  • Sensor: Increased Motion Tracker Range
  • Awareness: Use radar while scoped
  • Explosives: Increases blast radius, decreases damage received
  • Ordnance Priority: More frequent ordnance drops
  • Stability: Lessened knock out of scope*
  • Gunner: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret*
  • Drop Recon: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops*
  • Nemesis: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you*
  • Stealth: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassinations, dampened
    footsteps*

* Unlocked via Specializations
Bold = new
Underlined = Not shown in vid, but confirmed

:O

Wait wait.

So you can't drop a flag but you can use a pistol. However everyone can fucking track you down based on an arrow above your head?

Yeah count me as someone who already doesn't like the sound of this.

Alot of this can already be configured in the Halo 3/Reach custom options.

Flag Carrier Waypoints for example
I assume that Pistol+Flag is the new default but id imagine that the old "Only Flag" option is still possible as is the ability to drop the flag or not.

What people are getting so dramatic over is very likely a custom CTF variant of some kind made to show CTF to the public and the new features that are possible.

But you should ignore this post and start raging like the rest of this thread and then make wild angry comments and link to semi-related youtube videos or gif's that show your personal disdain for these features in either a musical or animated format.

senador

Banned
343 needs to release something flashy and informative like the Reach Beta Trailer.

CAN'T SNEAK WITH FLAG
FORCED TO USE A PISTOL
CAN'T DROP FLAG
BUT HEY YOU CAN MOVE FASTER

That'll really sell the new "features".

For sure. I watched that trailer over and over. It was somewhat informative and talked about the game itself and showed clips from it. Most of 343's vids have been talk about the studio and more internal type stuff. Need more detailed info vids about the game.

Hey guys, look at it this way: after Reach's BTB, the only way to go from here is up! Maybe we won't go up very high, but at least we'll go up!

rip ctf

DeadNames

Banned
Alot of this can already be configured in the Halo 3/Reach custom options.

Flag Carrier Waypoints for example
I assume that Pistol+Flag is the new default but id imagine that the old "Only Flag" option is still possible as is the ability to drop the flag or not.

What people are getting so dramatic over is very likely a custom CTF variant of some kind made to show CTF to the public and the new features that are possible.

Oh how I wish more people would see this...

Top Bottom