• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
  • All CTF games are Flag Potato Now
  • DMR is 2 shot kill, sometimes jams
  • Having the flag makes it so you don't have any shields, but you do 3x damage
  • New map shown, Boneyard remake, 3 banshees
  • Your character has a chance of randomly tripping, causing fall damage
  • New perk that teleports you to the flag, but you have to spawn with AR
Don't forget, there are now seventeen "types" of weapons in Halo 4, each arming the player with different offensive and defensive abilities, all woven together in a complex web with results ranging from "super effective" to "not very effective". Heralded as the natural evolution of the classic rock/paper/scissors gameplay of Halo Reach.

TheOddOne

Reach grenades were the most random shit ever, sometimes they were Hiroshima like and other times just deflated balloons with hot air coming out.

Don't forget, there are now seventeen "types" of weapons in Halo 4, each arming the player with different offensive and defensive abilities, all woven together in a complex web with results ranging from "super effective" to "not very effective". Heralded as the natural evolution of the classic rock/paper/scissors gameplay of Halo Reach.
But if you preorder today you'll unlock the eighteenth type, which trumps all types, unless you preorder the console edition, in which case there is a nineteenth type to rule them all.

Someone's gonna come in here and say, "You can drop the flag*" and everything will be for naught

*in classic playlists
Infinite magic flagnum troubles me more than magnetiflag. My brain can't handle it. Fuck your nanomachine devilry, 343.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
re: Halo 4 FUD: Cryo

VZ5tP.png

I laughed.

Trey

Can't we just get the term "salty" banned already? It's the same as saying "u mad?" which is as far as I know also bannable. Unless you're using it in the context of describing the taste of a certain food product it's just a really obnoxious way of responding to complaints.

There wouldn't be a GAF if there wasn't a large leniency toward obnoxious responses. Much less in this sub community. There are one liners and gif responses on both sides of the spectrum and everything in between and the only difference between who gets called out on it seems to be tenure or the popular opinion of the day.

Devo, I want to say team downer/upper came about when Halo 4 was first revealed in EGM and the current DOOM! theme of this thread took full hold. It was a swift but powerful conversion from general Reach disappointment and Halo 4 not only not redeeming Reach (in some minds), but continuing along a path many here found unsavory.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe in the future men and women can sleep in the same room, be platonic, and not have it be a scandal. :-O

Edit : Damn, that Land Before Time gif hits way too close to home right now. About to go visit my mom in her nursing home... :-(

So here are my thoughts on today's info:

- Yay for Active Camo being confirmed. :)
- The explosives perk sounds like it is intended to increase range and decrease the damage dealt, not increase both
- Dexterity perk sound pretty cool
- Not quite sure how the more frequent ordnance drops will work... do you just have a smaller limit til you unlock one?
- The flag changes sound like they are going towards a more active gamemode, everything points towards avoiding inactive moments (trying to find the flag carrier, not being able to shoot with the flag, slower speed, etc). The only thing that threw me off was the pistol coming out of nowhere if you don't have one and it having infinite ammo.
- The new map Exile looks gorgeous and very interesting layout wise... it tickles my mind just thinking about the options on the map

Oh and flag changes (especially the waypoint) will really change up map design quite a bit. The waypoint in particular means that you can have a short route back home, but with few options out of the short route and a longer route with more options. The short route will not be taken as often because the waypoint pretty much guarantees that you will be trapped. I like it. :) More balancing knobs.

I doubt this would be possible, but it would be cool to be able to set the weapon that we carry with our flag in customs. Probably won't be possible due to particular animations and the realisticness of holding a sniper rifle one handed... lol. Would still be cool though. Maybe change it to a different secondary, like boltshot or plasma pistol?

CyReN

Time Glitch Halo 4 Pax Impressions

So I recently did a thread here where I asked everyone to submit some questions for me to answer when I got my hands on Halo 4 here at PAX. Well, I did play, and now I'm here to deliver. I'll answer questions first and post my own impressions later. I'd like to preface this by saying that my time with the game was uncommonly short due to some absolute jackwad on my team who power-capped 3 flags in the span of 5 minutes.(WHO DOES THIS AT A CON WHERE YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME FOR AS LONG AS YOU CAN!?) I was very upset that I only got to play for such a short time, but I did get a lot of information as I began testing the second I started playing.

- Do armor mods/tacpacks have a large or small impact on gameplay?

This one was very dependent on which one you chose. The one I noticed the most was the reload speed up mod/tacpack. This one REALLY sped up how fast you could get back in the fight. But here's the takeaway; Most of this stuff was "under the hood". When I was fighting another player in a duel, all I was paying attention to was my strafe, my aim, and my shields. I wasn't thinking "Does he have this or this armor mod?!".

- Does it feel more like Halo 3 or Halo Reach?

Halo 3. The game was simply faster, more responsive, and the weapons felt very tight. Even the bloomy DMR felt accurate and strong. I actually preferred it to the BR, but this could have been because I was in a bigger team environment. I played CTF on the new map, Exile.

- Does 5sk BR feel slow? Compared to DMR?

The BR fired pretty damn quick. It felt like you could melt someone's shields at the right range. The DMR was very powerful too, though, and I unfortunately think that the DMR will suffer from the same problem it had in Reach: Because it has bloom, it'll be very effective at both close, medium, and long range. I think it has the POTENTIAL to out-pace the BR if the user knows what they're doing. I certainly preferred it, but I like my semi-auto weapons.

- Grenades other than Frag, Stick, EMP?

Pulse grenade is the EMP grenade. It is deployed once it hits the ground and pulses EMP for a second or two, then explodes doing damage. It's more like a deployable mine than a grenade. It didn't seem to stick to walls.

- Any more Brute weapons?

I didn't notice a single brute weapon.

- Has Promethean Vision Changed?

I did not personally try PV, but I did see it in use. It has a much shorter usage time and a much longer recharge time. This meant that if you used it, you got one shot and it could not be spammed. The guy who was using it only got to use it once every 15 seconds or so, and only got a second or two of looking at other players at a distance. This AA was very efficient at close range, but no longer the god-ability at long-range that it was at E3.

- Are there any new abilities they haven't talked about yet?

Yes! There was a regen field that looked like the Regenerator from halo 3, an Autosentry that was deployed at a stationary position, and I THINK that was it. I don't honestly remember any more, but I'm sure you can find a picture.

- Opinion on the Pistol.

Didn't get enough time to play with it at all. I blame the jerk who ended the game so early. I had a loadout set up for it.

- Jetpack?

Yep. But it was much more sluggish, with less thrust and duration. It's pretty similar to Reach, but I think it's been toned down in effectiveness. I didn't feel like I could fly that far or high with it.

- Any noticeable countdown to death barriers?

Nope.

- How's the strafe?

Responsive. The base movement speed felt a tad slow, but that was made up for with Sprint. Strafing seemed effective if I wasn't a total re-re and got myself in a bad situation.

- Fall damage?

Couldn't test. Game ended too soon. Sorry.

- How does the camo AA work?

Same as Reach, as far as I could tell. Didn't use it, saw it being used. Looked a lot like TU camo.

- General weapon balance.

VERY balanced. BR was very good at making you feel like your shields are just crumbling, DMR was accurate and precise, but slow if you wanted that accuracy. Light Rifle was a beast when you could land the shots. I didn't get the Carbine, unfortunately.

- Is the pistol really a fast-draw or is it barely noticeable?

It was a super, super-quick reload. Never saw it getting drawn...

- Try new promethean weapons.

Boltshot was a lot of fun to use, Light Rifle is a fun alternative to the other staple rifles, and I didn't see a Promethean Repeater.

- (If there's Spartan Ops) AI intelligence, behavior, and exploitability.

I have not played Spartan Ops yet, but I don't think I could get this in-depth with it.

- Do the shadows cast by players and moving objects line up with shadows cast by hardcoded geometry?

Sorry, no time to test this =C.

===================================

Okay, that's out of the way. On to the impressions!

I think the biggest question on everyone's mind is "Does this feel like Halo? Do all the changes ruin everything?" My answer is "Yes, the game is Halo through and through, and the changes only re-enforce those ideals". I was fairly skeptical that all this would make the game feel different, but I was wrong. What 343 has done with the armor mods, new AAs, and all that junk is build a wonderful support system for an already well-developed formula.

When I was playing against other players, my focus was on strafe, aim, and positioning. I wasn't worried about what AA they had, or what armor mod they'd picked. I wasn't obsessing either. The AAs complimented the gameplay very well, and it really came down to skill. Even something as strange as the Autoturret felt like it wasn't out of place. I honestly don't know if there won't be something that rises to the top as the "Armor Lock" of Halo 4, as there are a LOT of factors to consider. However, from my brief time with the game, I think that this feels like what Reach was supposed to be. It takes that basic Halo formula and just adds this great support network that compliments, not overrides, that Halo feel we're all familiar with.

I know I'm now much more excited about the game, and I would love to play again (If the line wasn't nearly three hours long).

As a side note, I'm still angry at that player. Seriously, you're playing Halo 4 for the first time, and you POWER CAP THE FLAGS?! Why? Why would you want to only have five minutes with this game? Nobody cares if you win or lose, we all just want a lot of time with the game. I can safely say that whoever that was, they ruined MY time with Halo 4. If anyone else is playing Halo 4 today, do your best to extend the time you have with it. Don't rush and try to be "teh winrar". Just enjoy the time you have with it so everyone can get their fill.

Okay, done. That's it. Hope you liked it!

There wouldn't be a GAF if there wasn't a large leniency toward obnoxious responses. Much less in this sub community. There are one liners and gif responses on both sides of the spectrum and everything in between and the only difference between who gets called out on it seems to be tenure or the popular opinion of the day.

Devo, I want to say team downer/upper came about when Halo 4 was first revealed in EGM and the current DOOM! theme of this thread took full hold. It was a swift but powerful conversion from general Reach disappointment and Halo 4 not only not redeeming Reach (in some minds), but continuing along a path many here found unsavory.

Personally even if I hold a vastly differing opinion, I don't care if someone is really positive about a change or really negative. I always target the specific logic or rational of the post. I think slurp/salty or any sort of team nonsense is awful and if I had my way bannable because it makes discussion devolve. It's no better than name calling really.

Aggrotek

Maybe in the future men and women can sleep in the same room, be platonic, and not have it be a scandal. :-O

Edit : Damn, that Land Before Time gif hits way too close to home right now. About to go visit my mom in her nursing home... :-(

Hope all is well. :(

Gray Man

Banned
Just got back from an amazing hike/adventure. Had a blast. Now I have to catch up on everything Ive missed... and it looks to be a lot...

Tactical Package: 10
  • None
  • Mobility: Unlimited Sprint
  • Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
  • Resupply: Pick up grenades from fallen Spartans
  • AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
  • Grenadier: Increases grenade carrying capacity
  • Firepower: Carry 2 primary weapons
  • Fast Track: Increased XP bonus*
  • Requisition: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop*
  • Wheelman: Lessened EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff*
Support Upgrade: 12
  • None
  • Ammo: Hold more Ammo
  • Dexterity: Faster reloads and weapon swaps
  • Sensor: Increased Motion Tracker Range
  • Awareness: Use radar while scoped
  • Explosives: Increases blast radius, decreases damage received
  • Ordnance Priority: More frequent ordnance drops
  • Stability: Lessened knock out of scope*
  • Gunner: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret*
  • Drop Recon: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops*
  • Nemesis: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you*
  • Stealth: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassinations, dampened
    footsteps*

* Unlocked via Specializations
Bold = new
Underlined = Not shown in vid, but confirmed

Really? Or I can just put any COD disc

TheOddOne

Really? Or I can just put any COD disc
Truth be told, none of them sound bad to be honest. Sounds like pretty reasonable upgrades if the ranking system works in line with the leveling, then players are on “even” foot. Then again, I’m assuming that the ranking system will be good – which we know nothing about.

Personally even if I hold a vastly differing opinion, I don't care if someone is really positive about a change or really negative. I always target the specific logic or rational of the post. I think slurp/salty or any sort of team nonsense is awful and if I had my way bannable because it makes discussion devolve. It's no better than name calling really.
"Salty" was putting the shit people were posting nicely, and as far as I saw, it wasn't used to dismiss or decry what was being said, but rather to diminish its unacceptable, rude, illogical venom. Stuff like ranting about how CoD was so much better for pages and that marketing budget was somehow to blame for development constraints. I mean, it was just inane rage posting. "Salty" was a kindness, one I refuse to extend.

The Team Downer thing was coined by Stinkles, and was mostly your buddies Kyle and Juices. It is also a rather kind way of framing their special style of stupid posting.

Gray Man

Banned
Im all for no flag dropping. You get to have a pistol to weild with it. I think this will only make working as a team even more important than it is now.

"Salty" was putting the shit people were posting nicely, and as far as I saw, it wasn't used to dismiss or decry what was being said, but rather to diminish its unacceptable, rude, illogical venom. Stuff like ranting about how CoD was so much better for pages and that marketing budget was somehow to blame for development constraints. I mean, it was just inane rage posting. "Salty" was a kindness, one I refuse to extend.

The Team Downer thing was coined by Stinkles, and was mostly your buddies Kyle and Juices. It is also a rather kind way of framing their special style of stupid posting.

I got a bunch of buddies here. I don't mind jesting, let me make that clear, but if you actually have problems with someone's arguments simply saying "team ____" or more salt, or slurp, then I just feel like people are creating the very same environment that set HaloGAF apart from forums where instead of actually dismissing points with points you just throw up some sort of vaguely insulting phrase. And when I come in here I see more of that. If you don't agree and can't say something other than "Team ____" then do me a favor and shut it. The only reasons I rarely take kyle/juices seriously is they've made it clear they're just shit disturbers. Frankly I find them a breath of fresh air sometimes when everyone is getting self-righteous and moody. Same with those whom others would say are part of Team Slurp.

Now if two people are just joshing, that's whatever. But I keep seeing posts that are nothing but "oh wow a bunch of negativity in here" with no arguments made, no one quoted and nothing substantial. I can't keep up with the fucking thread if people are going to just spam that kind of shit. I know this community doesn't revolve around me but it makes it an absolute chore to come in here and see that.

JackHerer

- Jetpack?

Yep. But it was much more sluggish, with less thrust and duration. It's pretty similar to Reach, but I think it's been toned down in effectiveness. I didn't feel like I could fly that far or high with it.

At least there is this. Jetpack needed to be nerfed. Hopefully we get some footage of it at some point.

LD2k

Neo Member
Im all for no flag dropping. You get to have a pistol to weild with it. I think this will only make working as a team even more ompirtant than it already is.
Agree - but now factor this in, however... what if my teammate who is deciding to go rougue picks up the flag while carrying, lets say, Rockets and Snipes. You know it will happen and now he just screwed the team.

What I'm hoping for with this news is this is a playlist specific feature - and that traditional CTF games (or you know, being able to drop/pick up the flag) will be available as well. Kind of like Slayer vs Infinity Slayer. etc.

But if that was the case a mans penis may accidentally penetrate a womans vagina, this is why they are kept separate.

"Sure, sure, I know... it just happened. Coulda happened to anybody. It was an accident, right? You tripped, slipped on the floor and accidentally stuck your dick in my wife. "Whoops! I'm so sorry, Mrs. H. I guess this just isn't my week."

JackHerer

Wow. awesome. Thanks CyReN! Liked his impressions and especially the jetpack being nerfed. Would like to get impressions on Regen AA, would it replenish shields even if you and/or others are in vehicles or near it?

You can't use AAs while actually in vehicles afaik (not sure if this is what you meant). We really know next to nothing about this ability, anybody know if it is present in the PAX build?

Voltron64

Ill give you my end, learned about some new Armor Mods

Tactical Package: 10
  • None
  • Mobility: Unlimited Sprint
  • Shielding: Shield Recharge Rate buff
  • Resupply: Pick up grenades from fallen Spartans
  • AA Efficiency: AA Recharge Rate buff
  • Grenadier: Increases grenade carrying capacity
  • Firepower: Carry 2 primary weapons
  • Fast Track: Increased XP bonus*
  • Requisition: Ability to re-roll an Ordnance drop*
  • Wheelman: Lessened EMP effect, Vehicle Health buff*
Support Upgrade: 12
  • None
  • Ammo: Hold more Ammo
  • Dexterity: Faster reloads and weapon swaps
  • Sensor: Increased Motion Tracker Range
  • Awareness: Use radar while scoped
  • Explosive: Increases grenade blast radius, BUT decreases damage
  • Ordnance Priority: More frequent ordnance drops
  • Stability: Lessened knock out of scope*
  • Gunner: Reduce Turret cool down, move faster when carrying Turret*
  • Drop Recon: Heads up on Ordnance and On-map weapon drops*
  • Nemesis: Possibly reveals opponent who last killed you*
  • Stealth: Decreased visibilty vs PromVision, Faster Assassinations, dampened
    footsteps*

* Unlocked via Specializations
Bold = new
Underlined = Not shown in vid, but confirmed

zGsnv.gif

Havok

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I only just realised that if you can't drop the flag, there's no more juggling, f*** you 343.
Them upping the flag carrier movement speed to full means there would never have been any need to juggle in the first place.

You can't use AAs while actually in vehicles afaik (not sure if this is what you meant). We really know next to nothing about this ability, anybody know if it is present in the PAX build?
Not using it in vehicles, but using it first And Then going into or next to a vehicle(s) in replenishing a player(s) shields.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I only just realised that if you can't drop the flag, there's no more juggling, f*** you 343.
Lol, it sucks, but we just have to wait until explanations arrives, hopefully soon.

Top Bottom