• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

m23

I appreciate the gameplay video from Bravo, but it got pretty boring to be honest. He used BR and PV which we've seen tons of since E3, he didn't take a banshee sitting in front of him. Considering he's played more Halo 4 than anybody, I thought he would be the one to show us the newer stuff.

Would have been nice to see some of the new AAs and vehicles, maybe someone else will post better videos.

Not being able to drop flag is not that big of a deal for me, the waypoint on the other hand......

What's everyone complaining about? I'm on my Ipod so can't really look through the other pages without it taking years. What did they add/remove now?

Other pages? Why not read this one?

The PAX build contains CTF where flag carriers are faster, essentially dual wield a pistol/flag, have a waypoint over their heads and can't drop the flag.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I only just realised that if you can't drop the flag, there's no more juggling, f*** you 343.

Do you even read this thread? :lol

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I only just realised that if you can't drop the flag, there's no more juggling, f*** you 343.

Your posts and your avatar always seem to go hand in hand with each other..

PhXpm.gif

I appreciate the gameplay video from Bravo, but it got pretty boring to be honest. He used BR and PV which we've seen tons of since E3, he didn't take a banshee sitting in front of him. Considering he's played more Halo 4 than anybody, I thought he would be the one to show us the newer stuff.

Would have been nice to see some of the new AAs and vehicles, maybe someone else will post better videos.

Not being able to drop flag is not that big of a deal for me, the waypoint on the other hand......

100% agree with this post.. but he didn't even use the damn PV ;[

Blueblur1

They still haven't fixed the Respawn Screen camera. It still points at the ground if you select another player's viewpoint and go back to your own. And the 3rd person viewpoint hovers above players like Reach's camera does (to accommodate Elite character models). What the fuck?

(And yes, all of today's news is terrible. I was hyped when I saw the first few screens and b-roll video but now I'm seriously disappointed.)

TheOddOne

About the Boltshot:
It's a secondary weapon with I think 10 shots a clip. From what I could tell, you could pew pew the little thing's individual shots, or you could overcharge it for a short-range shotgun-like blast that takes half the clip. You cannot hold down the overcharge long as it will automatically blast when full. I do not know if it was headshot capable.
About the Light Rifle:
BR out of scope, DMR in scope. It's essentially a hybrid rifle. I will say that it didn't feel as accurate as the BR. It might have some additional spread out of scope. It was laser-targetted in-scope, though. It is very accurate.
The auto turret fires bolts, not beams.

Thanks to Time Glitch over at Waypoint.

eeblogue

Neo Member
I can live with Explosive if the damage decreases.

The perk can be used by multiple people on a team, bigger blasts means more grenades hitting, which will ultimately result in more overall damage throughout a game. The most impactful thing will be the effect it has on a players shields by resetting the recharge. One of the most frustrating things in Reach is being clipped by a grenade just as your shields are about to recharge. You also have to remember that grenades have hit-markers now so all the problems with that are just amplified with this perk.

DD-11

Why is it such a big deal to be able to drop the flag?

I, and I seem like the only one, hated flag juggling. It didn't take any real skill to do it, didn't make any real sense (only that it worked), looked ridiculous, but you sort of had to do it in most situations because it was faster.

The best game of CTF for me was in Unreal Tournament, and you couldn't drop the flag either. In that game you took it as far as you could, and if you didn't make it, hopefully one of your team mates could pick it up after.

Lunchbox

Banned
theres a already a solution to the flag thing

No one ever vote for CTF. if someone votes for CTF call them names, send them messages. first text, then voice then picture. they will never vote again

The old XBL standard is to vocally complain about the choice as loud as possible to make the voters feel shame.

"ODDBALL SWORDBASE AGAIN YOU GOTTA BE FUCKIN' ME. WHO VOTES FOR THIS SHIT!?"

Doodis

I, and I seem like the only one, hated flag juggling. It didn't take any real skill to do it, didn't make any real sense (only that it worked), looked ridiculous, but you sort of had to do it in most situations because it was faster.

The best game of CTF for me was in Unreal Tournament, and you couldn't drop the flag either. In that game you took it as far as you could, and if you didn't make it, hopefully one of your team mates could pick it up after.

I feel the same way. Always thought juggling was ridiculous. In my opinion, this just means teams will have to work together more.

I feel the same way. Always thought juggling was ridiculous. In my opinion, this just means teams will have to work together more.

Working together more is highly contingent on your team mates. Unless you manage to get good team mates. Good luck. I play with people yes but since Bungie/MS fucking axed Clans, even with a friend's list devoted to Halo players, I get on at times where literally NO ONE IS ON.

These are the kinds of things I can't help but be negative about.

Lol

Omni

So... I take it the CTF gameplay wasn't pleasing? What the hell happened to get this much reaction from, well... everybody? (Plus can I get a link. Went back a few pages and couldn't find it)

GhaleonEB

So Natalie and I were bunched up with Duncan and crew, letting folks past so we could play BTB with them. Then it's our turn, and they split off and leave us to play a different map with strangers. We played Regicide on Adrift.

Halo 4 is...interesting.

plz ranking system.
just got paired with a team mate in MLG who only ran for the flag.
didn't shoot a single person.
his only kill was an assassination.

You also moved crazy fast and could shoot whatever weapons and shit you had, not just some little pistol.

plz ranking system.
just got paired with a team mate in MLG who only ran for the flag.
didn't shoot a single person.
his only kill was an assassination.

So you got matched with Ryaaaan / Drunkfu?

I find it curious that there is this much raging over the consequences of these changes when every single last one of the reviews we have seen, including several GAFers at E3, have had nothing but positive things to say.
If Duncan comes back later and also says nice things, will y'all slow your bitching a little? We've gone through about 30 or so pages in the last 6 or 7 hours.

Not a chance.

Havok

A few things. The carrier is now stuck with a sidearm instead of being able to sacrifice forward flag movement for full offensive capability by dropping the flag and using his primary weapons. The carrier was always a big fat target, and usually had a few shots on him before he was able to drop the flag and retaliate, so making him an inherently weaker combatant by forcing him to use a gimped weapon doesn't really gel with how CTF usually plays out. Additionally, you have a massive "KILL" waypoint over your head that you have no ability to remove (by dropping the flag and moving away from it), so flag sneaking is gone.

On that topic, while I never used the flag juggle, I certainly appreciated it because it offered one of the most obvious risk/reward mechanics in the series. You sacrifice your stealth options for increased speed, or you don't juggle and go the slow way and try to be undetected. Now, you're essentially in a constant juggling state without the execution of the juggle itself and don't have a choice in the matter. A whole swath of flagrunning possibilities is gone because of the waypoint/flag glue mechanic.

No idea how it plays, it might be totally awesome. Gut feeling isn't super positive, though. I'm not gonna kneejerk against it, but there are possibly some serious negative implications in what they're changing.
Folks keep mentioning this, and I'm curious: you guys play Team Objective, right? Getting a flag out of an Asylum base against a decent team when they can ping you from everywhere is hard as fuck these days, and a ton of games end 0-0 because of how difficult is. This has the potential to make offense much, much more difficult. Getting a setup on a symmetric map is hard enough, but holding it when they know exactly where the carrier is at all times no matter what? Woof.

Tawpgun

You guys aren't looking at it the same way. Flag juggling looked ridiculous. I agree. And apparently the announcer made people cry and whine so much every game since Halo 2 has tried to remove flag juggling all because a few kids had a mental breakdown because of an announcer.

So bungie has been trying to remove the interesting and fun dynamic of either going for a stealthy but slow cap, or going for a faster but more dangerous flag juggle. Disregarding the fact that juggling the flag, for some reason, feels really satisfying and cool, it created an interested game mechanic.

But whatever. They want to take out flag juggling, me and plenty others will be very disappointed. The flags have been getting heavier and more obnoxious as the Halo's have gone on.

Halo 2 they were solid. You could throw them a nice distance. Juggling was awesome. THERE WAS NO ANNOUNCER, ONLY A PING AND ICON ALERTING YOU THAT YOUR FLAG WAS GONE.

But that proved to be too little information for 6 year old Johnny BK to handle, so Bungie listened to his cries and added an announcer, and made the flag heavier so people wouldn't be forced to juggle to go faster. Well because of a beautiful error, or maybe a kind soul at Bungie, if you threw the flag in the air while juggling it made you go a bit faster. But this time 9 year old Johnny Cries-a-lot nearly had a brain aneurysm at the announcer. The great Steitzer proved to be an insurmountable barrier that people couldn't handle.

So instead of learning from this and going with the Halo 2 flag taken/stolen icons and sounds... We brought Steitzer back and just made it impossible to flag juggle in vanilla. Not only that, but to prevent you from dropping the flag they put your movement speed way down as soon as you dropped that thing, meaning if you wanted to fight back you'd be at a huge disadvantage.

I suppose this is the natural evolution of Halo. The Halo Tradition of gimping the flag carrier. Now you can only defend yourself with a laughable pistol. Have a rocket on your back but you grabbed the flag? LOL TOO BAD.

It's disgusting and I'm salty.

Who wants to play some Reach and enjoy some mediocre CTF before we have to settle with shit CTF?

A few things. The carrier is now stuck with a sidearm instead of being able to sacrifice forward flag movement for full offensive capability by dropping the flag and using his primary weapons. The carrier was always a big fat target, and usually had a few shots on him before he was able to drop the flag and retaliate, so making him an inherently weaker combatant by forcing him to use a gimped weapon doesn't really gel with how CTF usually plays out. Additionally, you have a massive "KILL" waypoint over your head that you have no ability to remove (by dropping the flag and moving away from it), so flag sneaking is gone.

On that topic, while I never used the flag juggle, I certainly appreciated it because it offered one of the most obvious risk/reward mechanics in the series. You sacrifice your stealth options for increased speed, or you don't juggle and go the slow way and try to be undetected. Now, you're essentially in a constant juggling state without the execution of the juggle itself and don't have a choice in the matter. A whole swath of flagrunning possibilities is gone because of the waypoint/flag glue mechanic.

No idea how it plays, it might be totally awesome. Gut feeling isn't super positive, though.

As usual in agreement with Havok.

That is true (except for the translocator), and I wish you could use all your weapons, but I suppose they're trying to encourage teamwork.

Reach tried to encourage more teamwork and if left a bunch of us with a sour taste in our mouths. What some of us were once able to pull off solo requires team mates who aren't dipshits. Does trueskill help in this endeavor? No.

Conor 419

Banned
I'm totally not fine with those waypoints, sneaky Flag plays are one of the few ways an outmatched team in terms of skill can still pull a win...

Why? How about the fact that if I pick up the flag I'm stuck with it and a piece of shit pistol until I die? That's my reason why. Want me to think up another?

Edit:
No dropping and auto flag-grabbing?
You have got to be fucking kidding me...

TheOddOne

You guys aren't looking at it the same way. Flag juggling looked ridiculous. I agree. And apparently the announcer made people cry and whine so much every game since Halo 2 has tried to remove flag juggling all because a few kids had a mental breakdown because of an announcer.

So bungie has been trying to remove the interesting and fun dynamic of either going for a stealthy but slow cap, or going for a faster but more dangerous flag juggle. Disregarding the fact that juggling the flag, for some reason, feels really satisfying and cool, it created an interested game mechanic.

But whatever. They want to take out flag juggling, me and plenty others will be very disappointed. The flags have been getting heavier and more obnoxious as the Halo's have gone on.

Halo 2 they were solid. You could throw them a nice distance. Juggling was awesome. THERE WAS NO ANNOUNCER, ONLY A PING AND ICON ALERTING YOU THAT YOUR FLAG WAS GONE.

But that proved to be too little information for 6 year old Johnny BK to handle, so Bungie listened to his cries and added an announcer, and made the flag heavier so people wouldn't be forced to juggle to go faster. Well because of a beautiful error, or maybe a kind soul at Bungie, if you threw the flag in the air while juggling it made you go a bit faster. But this time 9 year old Johnny Cries-a-lot nearly had a brain aneurysm at the announcer. The great Steitzer proved to be an insurmountable barrier that people couldn't handle.

So instead of learning from this and going with the Halo 2 flag taken/stolen icons and sounds... We brought Steitzer back and just made it impossible to flag juggle in vanilla. Not only that, but to prevent you from dropping the flag they put your movement speed way down as soon as you dropped that thing, meaning if you wanted to fight back you'd be at a huge disadvantage.

I suppose this is the natural evolution of Halo. The Halo Tradition of gimping the flag carrier. Now you can only defend yourself with a laughable pistol. Have a rocket on your back but you grabbed the flag? LOL TOO BAD.

It's disgusting and I'm salty.

Who wants to play some Reach and enjoy some mediocre CTF before we have to settle with shit CTF?
tumblr_m7c98uZAWQ1qfs3o0.gif

Omni

You can't drop the flag when you pick it up.

That's it?

Actually... dafuq were 343i thinking. Surely they haven't made the default version of CTF like it... What possible reason would they have? And I heard that if you have the flag you get a big target on your head now? Carrying the flag was a death trap before, but this is just ridiculous.

This is the first thing in Halo 4 that has really disappointed me. You can't do that to CTF 343i. You just can't.
Please tell me it's a joke

nomis

Danger Close and Flak Jacket in Halo...

jbjJV0oNJ2DHMs.jpg

Remember when 343 at least tried to claim that they weren't just making changes to be more like Call of Duty? When it was instead their "own way of evolving the gameplay"? At this point, it isn't even just the perks and the XP in the hud, it's tiny little things like a "KILL" waypoint over the flag carrier at all times because they feel fucking obligated. Yep THAT'S why CoD sells so much. Because the flag carrier can't hide but can travel full speed.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I find it curious that there is this much raging over the consequences of these changes when every single last one of the reviews we have seen, including several GAFers at E3, have had nothing but positive things to say.
If Duncan comes back later and also says nice things, will y'all slow your bitching a little? We've gone through about 30 or so pages in the last 6 or 7 hours.

Not a chance.

You must be new to "honey moon phase."

Most people playing it for the first time or in a setting like this are going to be slurping that sweet goolaid.

You can't do that to CTF 343i. You just can't.

343 dev: IS THAT A CHALLENGE?!

Edit: Alienshogun, that is true. But we're seeing people go there who post on these forums or others, were aware of these specific potential problems, and were on the lookout for how they might impact the game. Surely that is worth something?

DD-11

Why? How about the fact that if I pick up the flag I'm stuck with it and a piece of shit pistol until I die? That's my reason why. Want me to think up another?

Don't pick up the flag then, and play support. Some people like flag running. I love CTF, but have always hated Bungie's gimping of the carrier. They never made it fun to be the carrier. The public found some ways to exploit their design (not totally unlike bxr) and felt like it's a necessary part of Halo/CTF. It's not.

I don't like auto pickup, if that's true, and I'd prefer to have all my weapons at my disposal. Although, I guess Halo's warthog changes the equation a little bit, offering an easier and faster way out. But right not, a pistol is better than nothing and no flag juggling is a good decision IMO.

edit: kill indicator isn't a good decision either.

Just a thought.

You know the way having a waypoint over your had sucks because the other team has this 'KILL' objective popping up? How much do you think it will help those who go in solo to see that they are now alerted to 'ESCORT' their own flag carrier?

343: "Objective playlists consistently failed to pull population and interest in previous Halo's. Don't worry, we'll fix it!"

*Adds giant waypoint over flag carrier's head, auto flag-pickup and inability to drop the flag*

Top Bottom