• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Omni

Instant respawn was confirmed, or at least strongly hinted, not to be in Objective gametypes like...a day after the feature was announced.

Thought so. I don't understand why someone would be worried about it in slayer gametypes.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think I'm going to avoid the flag in CTF games... if only because of that music. Seriously though, I hope it's optional.

Instant re-spawn is only in one gametype, yes?

Oh my bad for not clearing that up. I meant randoms in Infinity Slayer.

For those at PAX and who have played Exile with vehicles: How do they handle? Enjoyable to drive?

Watching Naked Eli's video now and was wondering.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You guys need to click on the link haha <3

Also, I still don't know how I totally feel about the change. It's a drastic change from the way we've played CTF in the past Halo games. The past Halo games seemed to work fine in regards to CTF, especially in 1 and 2 where you could actually toss the flag further.

No one has really played enough of these CTF gametypes to tell for sure.

My initial impression of it is hesitant, somewhat sketchy, and somewhat frustrated, but I'm willing to give it its fair shake before I go crazy and say that HALO IS DEAD, or something of the like.

This.

It's a radical shakeup for sure and it deserves to be given a fair shakedown, despite the fact that anyone here can easily come up with a host of reasons why some of these changes may not be a good thing.

The only thing that boggles my head is the apparent fact that they won't let change these options in custom changes. Halo has always let you customise the play experience - you'd think with some of these drastic changes they'd at least let you pick and choose outside of matchmaking.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I recall this being said, possibly posted by Ellis/Frankie on here?

It has a countdown, but you can press X to instant respawn if desired

You cannot instant respawn in CTF (potentially all of objective)

Edit: damnit I didn't read the post quote chain- oops

CyReN

Wait I can go into matchmaking and troll people by taking their flag and not capping in our base now right? When people betray me they get booted.

Havok

Just think how terrible Assault is going to be, if it's even included.
I can't see them abandoning Grifball, which I would assume needs the Assault gametype. I always liked Assault more than CTF, if it doesn't return that'd be a real bummer.

Also, for those of you who are into that kind of thing, I compiled my thoughts on the CTF changes. Nothing new, just a rehash and restructuring of the posts I made on the matter yesterday.

Now I'm just gonna have to play Chariots of Fire every time I grab the flag

I think the right balance would be:

If you're carrying the flag, Chariots of Fire plays.

If you're in a Mongoose with the flag, the Benny Hill Show theme plays.

If you're in any other vehicle with the flag, Sacred Icon Suite 2 plays.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
You have to think like a asshole when putting new mechanics into a game and not assume people will do the right thing.

ie: Zealot sky roof.
But you could do that in Halo 2, 3, and Reach...

You have to think like a asshole when putting new mechanics into a game and not assume people will do the right thing.

ie: Zealot sky roof.
I agree, but I'm missing something obvious, what forces people to drop the flag and not troll right now in Reach or Halo 3?

Any word on the possibility of being able to at least change the weapon you wield with flag, or the option to not have a weapon with the flag?

nillapuddin

Any word on the possibility of being able to at least change the weapon you wield with flag, or the option to not have a weapon with the flag?

IIRC, in the vids last night, the players didnt have Magnum's in their loadout, it just automatically equipped

Before people complain that MP is supposedly canon, but weapons automatically equip into your hand

Holodeck guys, the blanket cover to do whatever they want
Its a computer simulation, it can do everythinggg

So, I'm just gonna go ahead and throw out any hopes of a more classic multiplayer experience. I'm going to reserve all judgement on the new multiplayer shit until I play it. But, until then, it's gonna be a rough ride. Becuase I haven't really liked anything we have seen at all.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm okay with the flag music. Feels like some Metal Gear Solid shit. Every time I die with the flag I'm gonna yell SNNAAAAAAKEEE into my mic now. You've been warned.

Yay, more strangely long wait times. =P

7xFG0.png

Hm..

Ellis said flag questions will be answered today, I believe.

Not a glitch but a purposeful design choice to make flag carrying a bigger deal and encourage team play. It took some adjusting but it really did get us talking and strategizing more than I have in Reach to date.
&

It's absolutely different. In fact, it couldn't be considered remotely close.

That being said, it's more fun than any variant of flag I've played on Reach or possibly 3. It was frantic, fast paced, and flag carrier base speed was equivalent to non-carrier base speed for those curious.

This could all be me in the honeymoon phase but who says that phase has to end? I want to keep going back and playing over and over. It's a finely polished product and having a magnum wasn't like OMG THIS IS TOO OP.

Edit: @Tashi I'll be live-tweeting if I can get the tubes to open up long enough for me to get a tweet out!

Sounds good to me, Im glad it was fun.. I can't even say I am against the changes, but I really hope they leave the option to drop the flag.. it would be so weird if they don't allow people to tweak it for their own liking.

nillapuddin

Played Planet Side 2 and I now want a Halo MMO done like this....holy fuck.

so jelly!

I am very impatiently waiting for open beta,
was it as good as I think it will be?

("holy fuck" seems to indicate a 'yes')

I would kill for a coat of Halo paint on a game like that

I think the only problem we've heard about CTF so far is that you can't drop the flag and the Waypoint. That's it.

Halo 1 it was auto-pick up, so I don't see that being a problem in Halo 4. In fact, that shit seems like it'll fix many problems we've had with Objective in Halo 3/Reach. How many times have you tried picking up the flag in intense situations only to pick up a Spiker or another thing you didn't mean to pick up/get into? How many games have you played where people would put Warthogs or other vehicles right on top of the flag so you wouldn't be able to grab it?

Think about this realistically.. The only true gripe we should all be bitching about is not being able to drop the flag and that damn waypoint. If they really want to keep that waypoint idea. they should just make it so that if you drop the flag and pick it up, the waypoint stays for a few seconds then disappears.. not have it on the whole time!

Top Bottom