• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT8| A Salt on the Control Room

Caja 117

So my friend went to Target today and was reading the Halo article that they had. Apparently they botched it pretty bad. They had their top 5 Halo maps and their number 2 was Blood Gulch with a picture of Valhalla. They also mixed up the 3 and 4 descriptions and pictures. Can anyone who is subscribed to OXM confirm this?

Yeah that's an OXM special Halo edition, it also have a top 25 weapons in Halo, number 6 was the jetpack (armor lock made the cut), number 1 was the energy sword. I returned the magazine back to the stand.

Because they are not real Forerunner. They are just the AIs of the Forerunner. Or did we call Guilty Spark a Forerunner?

After reading Cryptum, I was under the impression that Prometheans were a sort of "Spartan or ODST of the Forerunners", and not a whole different thing altogether. I guess that description still fits. The Forerunner are dead, the Prometheans, not so much.

Just a suggestion, good idea to describe those kinds of spoilers, so people know what they are getting into when they highlight. For example: this is a huge spoiler from Primordium.

At what point do we consider these things as not spoilers anymore? It's nearing a year since Primordium came out.

It's expanded universe stuff, not everyone buys the latest Halo book day 1 like they do the games...

Plywood, where u go?

Still, there has to be a cut off point when it isn't considered a spoiler anymore. What is it, a year, two years?

Which was not stated before Primordium. And where should the Chief know that? Still no one ever calls him a Forerunner. Just Forerunner AI or Sentinel.

Two years after a book was released sounds good.
So Cryptum is still spoiler territory, huh? Two years sounds about fine, unless it is a plot point that effects a game, like the Infinity stuff in Glasslands.

GhaleonEB

At what point do we consider these things as not spoilers anymore? It's nearing a year since Primordium came out.

Not sure, but I think things like book spoilers have a much longer shelf life than the game we are all presumably playing. So a month after the game is out, most of us are in the clear on it. Offshoot fiction like that gets picked up more gradually; just on the last page people were asking for Halo reading suggestions.

But if you are going to tag something - and you did - it's reasonable to include a note describing what you are tagging for people who don't want to be spoiled.

I just finished Primordium last month, myself, and would be grouchy if someone spoiled that for me in advance. So I'm glad you tagged it. :)

Still, there has to be a cut off point when it isn't considered a spoiler anymore. What is it, a year, two years?

So Cryptum is still spoiler territory, huh? Two years sounds about fine, unless it is a plot point that effects a game, like the Infinity stuff in Glasslands.
Of course. Like GhaleonEB said, some people haven't read the book yet and especially with the coming release of Halo 4, people are more interested to pick up the new books.

Not sure, but I think things like book spoilers have a much longer shelf life than the game we are all presumably playing. So a month after the game is out, most of us are in the clear on it. Offshoot fiction like that gets picked up more gradually; just on the last page people were asking for Halo reading suggestions.

But if you are going to tag something - and you did - it's reasonable to include a note describing what you are tagging for people who don't want to be spoiled.

I just finished Primordium last month, myself, and would be grouchy if someone spoiled that for me in advance. So I'm glad you tagged it. :)

It didn't really cross my mind till you told me to tag it, I'm glad you did because I'd rather not piss some one off who hasn't read it yet.

blamite

Speaking of spoilers, I ruined a pretty big character spoiler in Primordium for myself when I flipped to the back of the book to look at the page count. Normally I wouldn't have even noticed, but due to the way it was presented it just popped out really unexpectedly. I need to remember to be more careful with Silentium and Thursday War.
It was
The UNSC chat-log or whatever you call it with the bolded 343:[/B ]on every few lines. :/

In videos and in person playing, I couldn't tell what was what. I remember seeing a text box pop up telling you what a weapon was when you got close, but I can't remember if that was in the PAX build or not. If it's in, then I suspect much of the reason why is to distinguish those similar weapons from one another.

I'm pretty sure there was a little box that said weapon names if you looked at a weapon on the ground. I agree that the Promethean all look too similar/have a form factor that is very similar, but I kind of assume that after playing the game for a while, people will still learn to identify each one.

----------------------------------

Ah book talk, I've read one Halo book (Cryptum). Don't plan to read another, I think I'll stick to books not based on video game universes.

senador

Banned
Soeaking of spoilers, I ruined a pretty big character spoiler in Primordium for myself when I flipped to the back of the book to look at the page count. Normally I wouldn;t have even noticed, but due to the way it was presented it just popped out really unexpectedly. I need to remember to be more careful with Silentium and Thursday War.
It was
The UNSC chat-log or whatever you call it with the bolded 343:on every few lines. :/

I believe I did the same. I have a habit of reading the last page first of any book I read. Heh.

I'm pretty sure there was a little box that said weapon names if you looked at a weapon on the ground. I agree that the Promethean all look too similar/have a form factor that is very similar, but I kind of assume that after playing the game for a while, people will still learn to identify each one.

----------------------------------

Ah book talk, I've read one Halo book (Cryptum). Don't plan to read another, I think I'll stick to books not based on video game universes.

I honesty thought Cryptum was pretty good, but if you didn't like it you DEFINITELY shouldn't read Primordium.
I believe I did the same. I have a habit of reading the last page first of any book I read. Heh.

I do the same thing.

blamite

I'm re-listening to the OST samples before I go to bed and Revival reminds me soooooo much of the part in Cryptum where
Chakas and Riser reactivate the Didact's Cryptum by singing some song from their Geas. There's no way that that song could be from any other context than the same thing happening in Halo 4.

Ramirez

It's not hard to type out spoiler tags.

I honesty thought Cryptum was pretty good, but if you didn't like it you DEFINITELY shouldn't read Primordium.
Yeah I certainly don't plan to, haven't heard many good things about that book, even from people that liked the first one.

Cryptum is odd, as I feel it's a huge missed opportunity. There is some great content in that book, but the way that it's delivered to the audience as well as the characters themselves in both plot device and pacing is really odd and makes for a very dull book or when something interesting does happen, you have no clue what's going on.
As a lover of Windows Phone and owner of the Lumia 900, I was pretty disappointed with the camera. This thing knocks every camera phone back to the stone age. Very excited for this to be released in Canada, if ever.

Damn 2-year contracts.

wwm0nkey

I'm re-listening to the OST samples before I go to bed and Revival reminds me soooooo much of the part in Cryptum where
Chakas and Riser reactivate the Didact's Cryptum by singing some song from their Geas. There's no way that that song could be from any other context than the same thing happening in Halo 4.

Pretty much exactly what I am think. Also you can just picture
The Didact coming back to life
with that song.

TheOddOne

You just blew my mind, blamite. Man, the wait is killing me even more now.

I kinda wish there was a separate thread for halo fiction. I'm never gonna read the books, but I still don't like seeing discussion about them, since a lot of that will get carried over into the game campaign, which i probably will play. Not only that, but the discussion about halo fiction generally bores me to tears. On days when the halo thread is focused on the books, i just go somewhere else.

343 was actually
a human before being turned into a monitor
We are talking only about the games...
kinda. he was a Forerunner AI/Monitor... not a Promethean- or Builder/Lifeworker/whatever-AI/Monitor.
Which was not stated before Primordium. And where should the Chief know that? Still no one ever calls him a Forerunner. Just Forerunner AI or Sentinel.
Do some people even read the thread?

Shadders

Dust and Echoes just sent me this on Twitter:

HMV.jpg

Looks like it might be in-store only.

I kinda wish there was a separate thread for halo fiction. I'm never gonna read the books, but I still don't like seeing discussion about them, since a lot of that will get carried over into the game campaign, which i probably will play. Not only that, but the discussion about halo fiction generally bores me to tears. On days when the halo thread is focused on the books, i just go somewhere else.

I'm the opposite, have very little desire to read the books, actually have the audio book of Cryptum and have never made it more then 40 minutes in.

But I love the Halo fiction, the expanded universe. I can lose hours at s time looking at Halo wikis and still not be satisfied. Just wished there was something In between, like more then a 1 line summary. An encyclopedia with a few paragraph's for each entry giving all the important info about each entry. I know there is the Halo Encyclopedia but not really sure if that would be any better then the wikis I read, plus after Halo 4 and the new books I expect it to get a revision update

FyreWulff

Personally I like having sniper rifles on smaller maps. Turns it into a more high risk, high reward weapon. Better than a shotgun or sword IMO (see Countdown).

It works in rare cases, but if Midship had been a Halo 1 map, it would have had two sniper rifles on it.

Also, looking at your avatar, I think you're biased towards sniper rifles.

Camo still looks appalling and built from the ground up for trolling if the user is patient enough. It should never have been an AA in the first place and they had the chance to revert it back to its sensical form as a power-up. They didn't. Baffling.

Also baffling:

-Concussion Rifle in, Grenade Launcher out!
-No control scheme with jump and AA's on the bumpers despite telling us 'dun worry'
-Can't drop the flag even in customs

Striker

It works in rare cases, but if Midship had been a Halo 1 map, it would have had two sniper rifles on it.
More like Midship as something like Wizard in CE. OS/Camo in center to fight for, and not Rockets/Sniper.

I thought Beaver Creek was okay for a single sniper on it as it had those long sightlines on the sides of the map.

Camo still looks appalling and built from the ground up for trolling if the user is patient enough. It should never have been an AA in the first place and they had the chance to revert it back to its sensical form as a power-up. They didn't. Baffling.

Also baffling:

-Concussion Rifle in, Grenade Launcher out!
Camo looks like one of those things where you kill somebody in a semi-open area, but no one saw you, so your next move is to stop a second, turn on Camo, and you're ready go on your next hunt.

As for the weapon part, seeing the Rockets, Fuel Rod Gun, and then the Promethean version all included but not something actually diverse like the Plasma Launcher is pretty disheartening. Lots of weapons that are way too closely familiar and not many unique styles from another.

m23

I thought the same exact thing when I heard it. Can't wait to see the part in the game when that song comes up, its definitely going to be a major event.

Looking at the Bravo video reminded me again of how powerful Dexterity (faster reload times) looks. A bit too powerful in my opinion. Cuts down on the reload animation time by a huge amount and a clear advantage in BR/DMR battles.

Totally agree with this, dexterity looks like it needs to be toned down quite a bit.

You guys will probably hit the next OT while I'm at work today.

I like fiction discussion but I hate nitpicking. Remember the pointless discussion between those two users about Halsey's characterization in Glasslands? Oh god. That went over more than three pages.

Then go somewhere else. This is Halo OT, not Everything Halo But Not Book Fiction OT. If we look at the amount of book fiction talk that goes on in these threads, I don't think it's unreasonable to conclude there isn't enough to sustain a separate thread. If I had to peg it as a percentage, I'd say book fiction discussion compromises, at the most, 10% of what gets discussed in these threads. And I'm not hesitant to say that I figure the majority of that comes from discussions that come immediately after a book is released.

I really don't enjoy Forge, nor do I care for MLG/Pro tournaments/battles with Ogre or whomever, but you don't see me suggest-but-not-suggest all talk about those subjects stops because I get bored with them. Other people enjoy 'em, and that's most important. Just skip over the posts when it pops up.

Why do MLG guys always do the little twizzle thing with the right stick?

Sometimes i feel like this thread is on repeat.

GroundHogDay.Jpg

Its called the Ogre Twitch. Google it. Reports vary but its either to check deadzone on controllers or to "recalibrate" aim. I don't understand how it would do the second but the first is pretty logical.

G17

I think tagged book discussion is great for this thread. As long as we don't predict what will happen in Halo 4 based on information most don't know (ie. Achievement list) which has happened before and spoiled quite a few people who didn't want to be.

Cryptum and Primordium are both great books but I like Primirdium better personally.

willow ve

Sometimes i feel like this thread is on repeat.

GroundHogDay.Jpg

Its called the Ogre Twitch. Google it. Reports vary but its either to check deadzone on controllers or to "recalibrate" aim. I don't understand how it would do the second but the first is pretty logical.

This thread is always on repeat. It also helps a player figure out exactly what a certain thumb movement relates to in on screen movement. As much as playing with standard controls is the "same" from console to console there are still issues with screen size, input lag, refresh rate, etc. The Ogre Twitch, as it were, is akin to a little finger warmup that helps warmup your eye/hand (or eye/finger) coordination.

Also it's just a habitual thing that has carried over in Halo games. And it might help recenter a reticule after a firefight if your controller has a few dead spots. Which literally every controller out there has (especially if you've played with a controller for a few months).

edit: That's one thing I'm actually really looking forward to in the Nextbox/720/whatever. What will the new controller look, feel, play like? New proprietary battery pack? Slimmed down controller (without the AA battery bump)? Inductive charging pad that you set the controllers on every night? D-pad that actually works? Return of white and black buttons?

Why do MLG guys always do the little twizzle thing with the right stick?

It is called the "Ogre twitch"
The Ogre twins used to do it in Halo CE... to recalibrate their controllers?
Don't quote me on why they did it, I don't remember exactly.

EDIT: yep just google'd it, from Walshy's YouTube:
"The Ogre Twitch: The Ogre Twitch is a habit that the Ogre developed in the Halo 1 days, and it was a tactic to calibrate the reticule of the Pistol (Halo 1's primary weapon). Now, it just keeps your hands warm by keeping them in constant motion, and the Ogres still do it because it became a habit. Anyways, many players have picked it up, including other MLG pros (and myself :D). However, Ogre 2 does does do it a lot more than other people do because well, he invented it I guess. Anyways, I strongly suggest trying it. A little Ogre Twitching can take your BR a long way. :)"

Top Bottom