• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

I'm gonna implement 1-50 in one playlist and one playlist only. I'm also going to base how fast you rank up based on your K+A/D for the first few months. Also, everything is AR starts with Camo, Jetpack, and Armor Lock loadouts. Enjoy my implementation of your ranking system.
You also have to bury it amongst the other playlists and offer almost no path/motivation for new and/or casual players to find it.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Just a heads up to those who may end up playing with me; Battery on controller died so it's always plugged in with this POS playn'charge kit. Stupid buzzing noise happens constantly.

lemme know if it bugs you.

Got my 16gig USB hooked up to my Xbox thanks whoever gave me the link. Ready for H4's hugeass downloads thanks to all of Steitzers lines!

"BIGASSS DOWNLOADDSSSS"

Get 50 once, keep that general tag forever. A big reason 1-50 is so beloved is as simple as that. I'll take the more accurate ladder method any day- more of a challenge.

If Arena had all the fluff and bling and it was easier to get the rank they wanted (i.e the ceiling was much more easily obtainable)- I'd be shocked if those good players you mentioned had the same opinion. At it's core- I truly believe it has little to do with competitive gameplay for most people.

Dude, if someone sticks themselves on lvl 50 for clout and tells everybody, I'd be happy to challenge him to a game and show him he's ridiculous. I liked the ranking system cause I actually used it.

I'm gonna implement 1-50 in one playlist and one playlist only. I'm also going to base how fast you rank up based on your K+A/D for the first few months. Also, everything is AR starts with Camo, Jetpack, and Armor Lock loadouts. Enjoy my implementation of your ranking system.

Now do you see that the main faults of Arena were not on how it worked, but how it was placed? What happens if you change it to the following? Division ranking in 5 playlists where you play 5 games to get matched into a division. You can then move up or down in your division until you are at the top or bottom and then move up or down a division based on how you play. Wow, that sounds like it appeals to casual players by giving them progression in 2 places. Wow, that sounds like it appeals to hardcore players by making sure they are at the top of their game to stay at the top. How do we prevent rank lock? Reset the divisions and make you play another game to compare with your previous average and re-evaluate what division you should be placed in.

I do think its implementation, rather than how it worked, was its biggest problem. However, I still think games counting differently is an incorrect way to go about it. The first 5 games shouldn't "lock" you in, even if you can change your rank after that. Each game is separate and should therefore be treated that way, but more importantly, feel that way. There's something to be said for divisions since it makes it feel more like a tournament, but I think maybe that should be something seperate.

I definitely think they could tweak arena to make it more "in the moment" fun rather than having your aggregate kills/assists, etc. weighing you down. I also think they could tweak the ranking system to be more accurate. I'll just say that neither one was correct, so if they do have something similar, lets hope its better than both.

zap

I hate to break this to you, but your friend has been cheating on you...

...with randoms....

Your partner must've felt dissatisfied with your inadequate silver-level dong...-ing skills.

LOL
/jk

I went through his history after suspecting his cheating! It was legit, Arena just didn't ...work.

Promethean weapons showcase, perhaps.

Kinda hoping for a full, direct feed game of Dominion on one of the new maps, myself. A boy can dream.
I think they're going to space out the weapon videos a little bit more. Based on Ellis's fancy-pants comments, I'm guessing there'll be some Spartan Ops sizzle-reel action.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I want a video about group functionality! That's the hinted-at-but-not-revealed feature that I'm most excited about at this point.

Fairly certain you unlock the armor mod (perk) at the tenth level.
Ah yeah, you're right.

Trey

The sad thing is they are only asking for an increase of 3.3 million per year TOTAL. The highest paid ref gets less than 80k per year. Keep in mind this comes a year after the league lost almost an entire season while players and owners fought over how to divide BILLIONS. Really? You guys can't cough up 3.3 million to protect the billions you were going to war over?

Something something all this reminds me of Spartan IVs. Something something, they both wear helmets.

It's mostly about the pensions, not what they make this year.

"STILL DOWNLOADING FILES!"
"FILES STILL DOWNLOADING!"
"HARD DRIVE GETTING FULLER!"
"WE'RE TURNING ON FANS TO COOL HARD DRIVE!"
Speaking of downloading, I'd love to hear how 343i has decided to address the DLC that languished on my hard drive, untouched and unexplored because of Bungie's Reach implementation. The DLC maps were considerably more fun on the rare occasion I was allowed to play them :/

Purplemage

Neo Member
You know I hear all of the reasons why people don't like X playlist or change in Reach and most of them I either agree with or at least see the point of. But does no one like Multi team or Doubles? Super slayers a joke especially with its population and Team slayers the opposite because I can't stand vanilla but Multi and Double are still very playable with a teammate or two.

Also, I still miss squad.

Spent 10 minutes scrolling through Halo Reach's playlists...
So many, yet I couldn't find one that I wanted to play that had a population > 500.

I know your pain mate, I search the objective playlist and there's less than 200 and less than 100 at the Aussie times I search.

It's just a failing population and I'm sure all the Halo 4 news is turning more Reach players off everyday.

Oh well BTB until Nov 6 it is then.

GhaleonEB

Spent 10 minutes scrolling through Halo Reach's playlists...
So many, yet I couldn't find one that I wanted to play that had a population > 500.

I hopped onto Reach for the first time in a few days today, and got a fresh reminder of how bad Firefight is now. I still have that itch, but the remaining playlist is like lemon juice when applied to it. Just makes things worse.

I miss those giant Sentinels from Halo 2, they were pretty fun to take down.

Promethean weapons showcase, perhaps.

Kinda hoping for a full, direct feed game of Dominion on one of the new maps, myself. A boy can dream.

Well, we did get a full game of Dominion from Machinima, but more would always be nice. Hm, so many options for good video content..

the assertion that we will soon use more energy than the sun is capable of providing seems a bit odd given that we barely capture any of it now.

Can you give us some big credit bonuses coming up soon, some people arent fat and have jobs but would like to hit fat kid no job status in Reach.

Also at this point in Reach's life you dont need a daily credit cap if there is still one.

Also does H4 have a ranking system. Please say yes right now thats all we need.

It's mostly about the pensions, not what they make this year.

It's a six billion dollar per year league. They can afford to take care of their officials.

The NFL tried to prove a point in August that the league didn't need the officials as much as the officials needed the league, and this weekend it became clear to everyone how terribly wrong they were.

This is a joke. Not just because of the end of tonight's game, but because of the entirety of tonight's game, and games all across the spectrum this weekend. It's become calamitous.

Anyways- that's my one off-topic post for today.

Halo.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if we'll get to experience cray cray time/space warping Forerunner trickery in Halo 4's campaign.

Halo 2 desperately needs a Anniversary edition.. Some parts of the game are simply stunning looking:

NF0PC.jpg

The game may not be perfect, but my god, if it had a remake on the 360 or 720, possibly using the Halo 4 engine..

Trey

That gametype is sad proof that Bungie programmed the Magnum to be unreliable.

Heckfu loves SWAT Magnums on Sword Base.

One of my favorite things during my relatively short time being involved in this community is discovering what each individual person's Halo thing or vice/strawman is. Patterns begin to emerge, based only on me casually reading the thread and interacting with folks.

daedalius has his art, n00bs his trueskill, gal his firefight, dax his propipe and so on and so forth. And you come along with magnums. A small idiosyncrasy that provides character and context. Not to say any of you are one dimensional, I just happen to notice certain posters have their niche.

But yeah, that thing sucks, and then it doesn't. Shame that it's so unreliable that there is literally no recourse but to spam the shit and hope. Unsavory weapon design.

Pop

Can you give us some big credit bonuses coming up soon, some people arent fat and have jobs but would like to hit fat kid no job status in Reach.

Also at this point in Reach's life you dont need a daily credit cap if there is still one.

Also does H4 have a ranking system. Please say yes right now thats all we need.

tumblr_l652fvCjiA1qzdf0go1_400.gif

the assertion that we will soon use more energy than the sun is capable of providing seems a bit odd given that we barely capture any of it now.

Yeah, I scratched my head at that too.

Oh dear, I've fallen into the abyss of Dyson Spheres vs Ringworlds and why they aren't feasible. This stuff is going to keep me up all night.

According to this one article only 51% of Mercury's mass is usable, meaning the the other 49% becomes a hazardous asteroid belt for the mining robots.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexkna...he-impracticality-of-building-a-dyson-sphere/

I did stumble upon this though, reminded of Sparth's work.

That gametype is sad proof that Bungie programmed the Magnum to be unreliable.

Heckfu loves SWAT Magnums on Sword Base.
I can't find the video right now, but it showed that even with Zero Bloom the Magnum has bullet spread. Why they compounded that with bloom I'll never understand.

Solar Flares, Red Giant, Super Nova, Black Holes and space debris like Asteroids or "Rogue" planets are what comes to mind of immediate problems for such mega structures to theorize human achievement in harvesting a Stars discharge being catastrophic.

Creating a colony on different planets, moons, or off world space stations using Solar Power, Dark Matter or other alternative energy resources would be an achievement.

senador

Banned
I can't find the video right now, but it showed that even with Zero Bloom the Magnum has bullet spread. Why they compounded that with bloom I'll never understand.

I...what? I never knew this. I always here talk of the Magnum being unreliable but I never quite understood what was meant other than the term felt familiar with my experience using it.

I miss those giant Sentinels from Halo 2, they were pretty fun to take down.
There were Forerunner turrets on walls(?) who shot a beam. Pretty cool and it surprised you when you haven't noticed it first.

Well, we did get a full game of Dominion from Machinima, but more would always be nice. Hm, so many options for good video content..
I wanted to try out Dominion but it was impossible to play it and there was a big gap in terms of skills. The most were just bad. You could dong nearly everyone.

There were Forerunner turrets on walls(?) who shot a beam. Pretty cool and it surprised you when you haven't noticed it first.

I wanted to try out Dominion but it was impossible to play it and there was a big gap in terms of skills. The most were just bad. You could dong nearly everyone.

Oh cool, what did the Forerunner turrets look like? Also, where they pretty large? Too bad about Dominion, but thats still awesome you got to play a decent amount of games/maps it seems.

BTW, I know you didn't play it, but did you get to see what the Spartan Flood looked like, or how they played?

Top Bottom