• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Ken

Some stand out pics:

pyrIg.jpg

The Package.

I love the volumetric lighting in this pic.

Why aren't they fighting each other.

^she has a really long neck.

I really did not expect an image dump out of nowhere, haha.. My god the game is looking stellar, its freaking insane..

Anyways, I wonder if we can expect flood mode and complex to be officially detailed soon. Tonight/today maybe?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG

LMFAO

Oh dear. Posted a link over on Bungie.net, lots of kids are saying 'zomg doesn't look like flood wat is this'
Ah well. I think it looks like an actual combat form. like, you know, one that actually makes sense.

The Spartans in those screenshots look absolutely fantastic. Much better than Reach in my opinion and reminds me a lot of halo 3. Plus red visor = sexy!

Anyways, descriptions:

War Games
"Within the War Games simulation known as "Flood," the deadly parasite has returned. A group of Spartans has been transformed into a host of incredibly fast and deadly Flood combat forms. Get a peak at just how gruesome and horrifying this Flood form is in Halo 4, and check out the newly revealed Complex map, set on a science detachment which has been optimized to meet ONI specs for defensive emergencies."

Campaign
"These screenshots show some first-person action aboard the UNSC Forward Unto Dawn, as well as some new areas that await you in Halo 4's Infinity mission, which fans may remember from the E3 2012 Halo 4 stage demo."

Spartan Ops
"The designation “Spartan Ops" has been given to any and all on-record missions conducted by Spartans of the UNSC Infinity. For longtime Halo fans, however, Spartan Ops represents a watershed moment of immersive, story-driven cooperative gameplay delivered in addictive, bite-sized episodic pieces. One of those pieces, The Challenge, takes place on a cold and desolate Forerunner fortress structure, shown in this gallery for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!"

Omni

LMFAO

Oh dear. Posted a link over on Bungie.net, lots of kids are saying 'zomg doesn't look like flood wat is this'
Ah well. I think it looks like an actual combat form. like, you know, one that actually makes sense.

Saw that thread. People will seriously complain about everything...

*remembers the time he complained about the grass >_>*

broony

Read about the first 90 pages of Thursday War last night, hopefully finish it tonight or tomorrow child / wife / football allowing. I am so Halo pumped at the minute. So hyped for Halo 4, at 35 years old it is a little worrying. Wish I could fuck work off this week and head down to Eurogamer. Hope anyone who is going has fun.

Any ETA on the next HaloGaf radio then?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What the hell. This game. Blowing my mind.

Flood spartans look more like mutants/zombies out of resident evil or Doom rather than flood.. Ill expect it for now, but if it means a huge revamp of their design in the future Im not feeling it. For the standalone mode though they are fucking sweet.
I loooove the new design. I don't mind that it's radically different. It's the good kind of different. I'd like to see the old Flood styles return, too, though.

golden carbine. :D
Yeah! Looks really good. Easily the best weapon skin.

Edit : The armor on that female Spartan looks so awesome. And the spiky Crawlers look great, too. I didn't know they were so huge! Thought they were a new Promethean enemy type at first.

Flipyap

Oh jesus, fuck you, what have you done!? :lol

I can't unsee it!
There's not much to unsee, they actually are smiling. At least the Prom Knights' stupid robot teeth look a bit more like a grin.

Oh well, at least it was nice to finally see a hint of the Dyson-ish sphere in a daytime skybox.

zap

Truthfully, I think this is more terrifying:

gqszL.jpg

Mix that design with the new and you would have a winner.

Oh jesus, fuck you, what have you done!? :lol

I can't unsee it!

They are quite different to the old style. I dunno how the Halo 3 models would work as playable models, they would have to be drastically different in terms of animation and feel, probably requiring more work.

broony

New flood models looks nice. You would expect a flood form with a geneticly enhanced host, with ceramic bones, in a powered armour suit to look quite different to a regular human flood form.

senador

Banned
Mechakylej!

rIM10.jpg

Wow middle of night pics out of nowhere. Those look so good. Any time they dump the direct feed vid and pics it hypes me up so much. Campaign stuff looks so great!

Flood stuff looks good but we are all going to be bitching about how everyone is playing Living Deadfinity and not the other stuff. :/

Omni

Read about the first 90 pages of Thursday War last night, hopefully finish it tonight or tomorrow child / wife / football allowing. I am so Halo pumped at the minute. So hyped for Halo 4, at 35 years old it is a little worrying. Wish I could fuck work off this week and head down to Eurogamer. Hope anyone who is going has fun.

Any ETA on the next HaloGaf radio then?

Without spoilers, is TW better than Glasslands? I don't think I can take another 400 pages of "Halsey is evil!lololol"....

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
With the Grifball and Flood reveals, it's pretty clear that 343 is putting a lot of support behind what many of us consider fringe gametypes. That really makes me wonder about what Halo 4's playlist offerings will be. Grifball has confirmed to have its own playlist, right? I imagine we'll see one for Flood, too. What about SWAT? That's getting pretty crowded already.

Infinity Slayer
CTF
Grifball
Flood
BTB (?)
SWAT (?)
Classic (More than one list?)
(Edit : Forgot FFA)

Where does Dominion fit in? Is it just in the BTB mix?

Flood stuff looks good but we are all going to be bitching about how everyone is playing Living Deadfinity and not the other stuff. :/
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

Edit : Yeah, I see what you're saying, Demoncarnotaur. It in the context of Scott's past work, it is pretty unoriginal. But it really works, and I like it despite how derivative it might be.

I loooove the new design. I don't mind that it's radically different. It's the good kind of different. I'd like to see the old Flood styles return, too, though.

I mean, the art is good, but it just doesn't look like the Flood at all and feels like I have seen it before. Instead of Kenneth Scott allowing he designs to influence the new Flood it really feels like he just used one of his designs and called it Flood. It looks a lot like this from Doom 3:

327_max.jpg

or this from Resident Evil:

nem3.jpg

and if you told me the pic was from one of those games I wouldn't bat an eye. It just kinda lost what made the Flood designs original and well...Flood. I do get that it may have been necessary to a point to make the hitboxes work well for MP though. Im just worried this means the Flood may get a weird monstery make-over in the future. But I still can't deny that they do look badass.

With the Grifball and Flood reveals, it's pretty clear that 343 is putting a lot of support behind what many of us consider fringe gametypes. That really makes me wonder about what Halo 4's playlist offerings will be. Grifball has confirmed to have its own playlist, right? I imagine we'll see one for Flood, too. What about SWAT? That's getting pretty crowded already.

Infinity Slayer
CTF
Grifball
Flood
BTB (?)
SWAT (?)
Classic (More than one list?)

Where does Dominion fit in? Is it just in the BTB mix?

I always felt like Swat should be ODSTs or Marines.. Or at least no helmets, but if that were the case there would have to be a supply of different heads.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
It's hard for me to see smiles when what I'm actually looking at is a few layers of face ripped away. But way to be positive!

broony

Without spoilers, is TW better than Glasslands? I don't think I can take another 400 pages of "Halsey is evil!lololol"....

It's been cool so far. Had to make myself put it down last night otherwise I would have been fucked for work today.

I would give Glasslands a 7 or 8 out of ten. So far I would give this an 8, whatever that means.

It did a good job of reminding you of Glasslands story in the first couple of chapters without ramming it down your throat. I read glasslands once and had almost completely forgotten the story, so it was cool not to be wondering who's she? what is this situation about?

Rough prediction of launch playlists:

• Infinity: (4v4) Game modes with Personal Ordnance
  • Classic: (4v4) No personal Ordnance, no/fixed loadouts.
  • Big Team Battle: (8v8) includes Dominion
  • Flood: (10x1) Infection
  • Objective: (5v5)
  • Free For All: (8x1)
  • Grifball: (4v4)
  • Capture the Flag: (5v5) temporary playlist
  • SWAT: (4v4) LR, DMR, BR + Magnum [frankie plz]

broony

Rough prediction of launch playlists:

• Infinity: (4v4) game modes with Personal Ordnance
  • Classic: (4v4) No personal Ordnance, no/fixed loadouts.
  • Big Team Battle: (8v8) includes Dominion
  • Flood: (10x1) Infection
  • Objective: (5v5)
  • Free For All: (8x1)
  • Grifball: (4v4)
  • Capture the Flag: (5v5) temporary playlist

I think this will be about right, but they would drop a classic playlist for the first few weeks. The didn't put all that effort into changing the playstyle just for people to ignore it and keep playing the same way they always have. I would expect to see a classic playlist 4-6 weeks after launch.

I feel like the people expecting a Classic playlist are going to be very disappointed come November. When Frankie said there will be playlists with restricted settings and loadouts I figured that meant things like Snipers and SWAT where AAs and Support/Tactical packages obviously won't be available.

I think this will be about right, but they would drop a classic playlist for the first few weeks. The didn't put all that effort into changing the playstyle just for people to ignore it and keep playing the same way they always have. I would expect to see a classic playlist 4-6 weeks after launch.

Plus I think 343i said at the start of the year slayer gametypes were going to be 5v5. Don't quote me on that though.

Ugh screen after screen after screen of stuff i would have rather not seen before actually playing. I guess I'm done lurking Halogaf until november :p

broony

I feel like the people expecting a Classic playlist are going to be very disappointed come November. When Frankie said there will be playlists with restricted settings and loadouts I figured that meant things like Snipers and SWAT where AAs and Support/Tactical packages obviously won't be available.

I don't actually want a classic playlist straight away anyway. I'd prefer people got forced to use and learn the new playstyles, instead of deciding they don't like them and don't want to play them before they give it a chance.

Kind of didn't want to be spoiled on those flood things before release. Ah well.
It's for their new Flood mode. Basically the new Infection, so as of now MP only. We have no idea if these Flood will even be featured in Campaign at all. I mean, no one actually considers MP stuff spoilers, do they?

Hopefully it's not a case where matchmaking proves to be a failure to provide a wanted gametype and makes me loathe how restricted it is. I see the potential in Halo 4 if the Infinity aspects go sour to have it stripped out and still be great classic fun, CTF aside. In Reach, there were a lot of little things that added up and even with removal of bloom you still get a bloody mess that's had bandages thrown at it and is still hemorrhaging every which way. With 4, I can see it working out just based on BR being solid and hitscan, having actual overshield visuals, inertia tweaks, being able to separate itself from the overlying points progression and persistence etc. I wonder if there's a gametype option to disable sprint?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
It's for their new Flood mode. Basically the new Infection, so as of now MP only. We have no idea if these Flood will even be featured in Campaign at all. I mean, no one actually considers MP stuff spoilers, do they?

I can see some of the campaign screens are possible spoilers
some people didn't even know
that there would be other spartans accompanying you on missions (AI, as seen on the sides of the scorpion tank riding shotgun)

To each their own, in terms of spoiler content.

WJD

Well that makes me feel better.

Makes more sense than 343 releasing major plot points in the form of late night screenshots anyway.

I can see some of the campaign screens are possible spoilers
some people didn't even know
that there would be other spartans accompanying you on missions (AI, as seen on the sides of the scorpion tank riding shotgun)

To each their own, in terms of spoiler content.
We've seen Spartan IV's along side the Chief since E3 this year so unless you somehow avoided all those screenshots then that's not really a spoiler. I'm not even going to spoiler tag it so, yeah.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
We've seen Spartan IV's along side the Chief since E3 this year so unless you somehow avoided all those screenshots then that's not really a spoiler. I'm not even going to spoiler tag it so, yeah.

Well fuck, now i feel stupid.

I dunno. I really want to tear every piece of information down to its core for discussion, so i feel bad for people avoiding spoilers sometimes :\

With the effort to finally make Infection a standardised gametype I wonder if it'll mean they actually have to test and balance it? It could be a double edged sword for the gametypes popularity; 343 ensure that the 'Flood' map variants are non-exploitable for the humans, the list see's a drastic drop in population because you can't 'boost' there anymore. Fyrewulf noted that when the fixed Infection variants were placed in the playlist the community actively ignored them in favour of the broken/exploitable maps.

The thing I've always felt with Infection is that it's never fun to be a zombie. You're essentially headshot and shotgun fodder for the human's and then the climax of the game is bum rushing the last man standing who is stood in a teleporter node or with his back against the wall in a one entrance room. Yawn.

Ken

The thing I've always felt with Infection is that it's never fun

I agree.

Actually I disagree with myself. Zombies with shotgun start on Sanctuary and Foundation were entertaining. Something happened along the way that made it not fun anymore though. Maybe it's the pistol start and maps or maybe it's the attempt to make it "officially balanced," but whatever it is Infection is just boring nowadays.

TheOddOne

Halo 4 development is complete
Development of Halo 4 is complete with the game now in certification, franchise development director Frank O'Connor told an audience at this morning's Halo 4 press event taking place at the London Film Museum in Covent Garden.

With the game now in certification it's only a matter of time until the gold disc is sent to manufacturing to begin printing the millions of copies which will flood stores worldwide this holiday season.

Does anyone else thinks the snowy spartan ops pic with the crawler looks kinda weird? Don't know what it it, but something seems wrong.

Other pics look really good. Nothing to complain there.

Top Bottom