• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Pop

My guess is they haven't figured out the ranking system yet. They have the framework, but are still tweaking how it actually looks and behaves. I would bet there is a day 1, behind the scenes, patch that updates the algorithm, etc., that tracks and/or displays the skill rank. They can't talk about it until "closer to launch" because they're still working the implementation.

congrats on the full membership

Thx

That could be it as well. At this point all we can do is wait and see what 343i has to show us.

Overdoziz

Banned
But they only happen in Infinity Slayer... right? The "team slayer" or whatever the other slayer gametype is called is going to have normal weapon drops.

I'm confused now. Are all the gametypes going to have random placement of power weapons (on a standard timer, but random location)? And Infinity Slayer just has the addition of "personal" ordnance drops that you earn by killstreaks killing enemies, head shots, etc.
Personal ordnance drops are only in Infinity Slayer. I'm talking about global ordnance drops. Random weapons that spawn randomly in one of a certain number of predetermined spots. From what we've so far there's hardly a warning before a weapon is dropped which I dislike very much. But honestly even if there was a fair warning either one of the teams would still be in a position where they're at a disadvantage just because some weapon spawned in a random location which they couldn't predict. I really don't like the sound of that.

willow ve

Personal ordnance drops are only in Infinity Slayer. I'm talking about global ordnance drops. Random weapons that spawn randomly in one of a certain number of predetermined spots. From what we've so far there's hardly a warning before a weapon is dropped which I dislike very much. But honestly even if there was a fair warning either one of the teams would still be in a position where they're at a disadvantage just because some weapon spawned in a random location which they couldn't predict. I really don't like the sound of that.

Yeah. In all the other news I must have forgotten how they decided to change weapon placement and weapon spawning. I can understand the HUD changes that let everyone know a rocket launcher, sniper, etc., is coming into the map (this would help draw teams together into a confrontation), but it makes no sense to put the weapons in different predetermined, but unpredictable, locations.

I can just see it now that team A gets sniper and rockets dropped closer to their base/side and team B gets a needler. Do not want.

Striker

Halo 2 multiplayer had the highest highs but also the lowest lows.
Dunno. Somebody could get pissed off or frustrated because of some dick kid trying to manipulate the netcode, but there's no sugar coating any amount of boredom I've received in H3 and Reach. A lot of what makes these Halo games so fun for me is properly balanced map and gametype combinations, and a large variety of those. Ever since it's been extremely lacking in that department. That's not even to include weapon consistency, map quality, and vehicle-infantry activity.

Isn't it just like weapon spawning times before just random power weapons now?

Or is it random spots, random weapons, and random times?

Tawpgun

The best part is we still dont really know!

From the scraps and partial explanations we got, it seems like there's a pool of power weapons. Not sure if they seperate them based on power weapon and sub-power weapon (needler, stickdet), but there are set spots on the map where one will spawn. But you won't know WHAT weapon will spawn and WHERE. That is, unless you have a special perk equipped that gives you a heads up...

I'm not even sure if its on a fixed time cycle either.

If they REALLY want to stick with this obnoxious random system, they should at least have seperate location and pools for the sub power weapons. Because I don't want to fight for the hill on ragnarock only to receive a needler.

Overdoziz

Banned

Random weapons (Although not all weapons can spawn all every map), at random locations (Weapons can't spawn literally anywhere, though. There are a few set locations at which they can spawn) but not at randoms times as far as I know. Don't think they've been very clear about that yet. Could be wrong.

Random weapons (Although not all weapons can spawn all every map), at random locations (Weapons can't spawn literally anywhere, though. There are a few set locations at which they can spawn) but not at randoms times as far as I know. Don't think they've been very clear about that yet. Could be wrong.

343 not being clear about something? My word

GhaleonEB

Anyone else not watching the campaign demo? I'm excited for new footage, but I don't want to know how the mission plays out, so I'm skipping this one. (Sorry, Frankles!)

Yeah, I mean, any game can throw in bells and whistles such as achievements, trophies, ranks or progression systems but if those are the things keeping you playing I'd have to wonder if you enjoy the game at all or if it is just the systems you enjoy.

I've been sucked into terribly bad flash games purely for some challenge or something that keeps me playing. Maybe people can relate this to past Halo games but after each session of "the game that just isn't fun but has addictive features added on" I mostly feel guilt with a small sense of 'worth' that only lasts as long as it takes for me to realise that any challenge or trophy doesn't have any substantial worth except the time you wasted with it.

I'd have to argue that this is an overly-simplified way of looking at the situation. I've had (and still have) many gameplay experiences where the competitive nature or the leaderboard features are a huge part of why I play them so much. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't enjoy the game without them, but they are another layer of enjoyment on top of the base game that also has the effect of extending replay value.

You talk about playing games simply for challenges. Why is it so bad that some people treat higher skill ranks as a challenge? I've gotten all acheivements and 100% on games like Super Meat Boy (106% in that case), Geometry Wars, Rock Band Blitz, Alan Wake, etc but I keep coming back to them to compete on leaderboards, because I find it fun and challenging to try to beat my score or my friends as well as moving up on the leaderboard positions. That doesn't mean that I think the games aren't fun otherwise, because I enjoy the shit out of them. I just enjoyed the leaderboard/ranking systems as well. In H2/H3, it was fun and challenging (not as challenging in 3) to rank up, cheaters aside.

I don't understand the criticism of people who enjoy these parts of games (assuming they're not jerks about it) and want to know if a product they're using their hard-earned cash to buy has a feature that they consider valuable. In a consumer economy, I feel it is a valid concern.

watched up until i felt it got a bit spoilerish, looks great.

cant believe people were bitching on the gaming side about downgraded graphics from the first released shots

ibiO0DmW68rmbq.jpg

Anyone else not watching the campaign demo? I'm excited for new footage, but I don't want to know how the mission plays out, so I'm skipping this one. (Sorry, Frankles!)
Nope, not watching a bit of it. I've seen some of the .gifs, but keeping as fresh as possible for campaign.

Guess I'll be the only one calling the Binary Rifle the zero one. /tooclever

Valhalla's base has changed. One the beach base there appears to be only a single mancannon shooting out to mid with the left cannon gone. And the walk ramp from outside of the base are missing.

Also, is that an entrance to inside the base from below outside of the central mancannon? Yes it is.

Bases have some substantial changes confirmed.

Is there any way of getting Footage of these changes? like off screen recordings?

FyreWulff

Valhalla's base has changed. One the beach base there appears to be only a single mancannon shooting out to mid with the right cannon gone. And the walk ramp from outside of the base are missing. Looks like you won't be walking up inside the base to nab the flag like in Halo 3.

Also, is that an entrance to inside the base from below outside of the central mancannon? Yes it is.

Sidecannon is above the door

GhaleonEB

Valhalla's base has changed. One the beach base there appears to be only a single mancannon shooting out to mid with the right cannon gone. And the walk ramp from outside of the base are missing.

Edit: I think that's the side of the base, not the front.

FyreWulff

I was wrong, there's two cannons. It was hard to make out but I found a clearer view.

ramps-1.jpg

Still no frontal ramps. =/

Actually eyeballing it, it almost looks like the base was vertically scaled up a bit, and the ramps removed, for jetpack. We'd need a known object like a Hog sitting at the bottom of the base to get a sense of the size though.

Or the base is made out of forge objects

GhaleonEB

I was wrong, there's two cannons. It was hard to make out but I found a clearer view.

ramps-1.jpg

Still no frontal ramps. =/

Might be a shadow, but it looks from that shot that they replaced the option to enter the top base from front with a lower entry way below the man cannon. Hmmm. I liked the risk/reward of taking the front route: your "sneaky" route was only so to those inside the base, as you were visible from the rest of the map and could be called out. But if you pulled it off you could get the flag to man cannon very quickly.

With the CTF changes, though - flag carriers move at full speed - that might have meant you got the flag to man canon too quickly and so they refined the front ramps out. I can see the logic, though in that case I'd have just moved the flag back to compensate. Having a surprise attack route helped keep defenders on their toes; if there is no front entrance to the top then the defenders only need to worry about the back of the base.

Unless the other team is rocking jetpack, of course. Which does sort of render the ramp - and entire base design - moot. :\

Edit: people hating on the Valhalla bases? The fuck? Some of the best in the series.

Top Bottom