• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Fracas

#fuckonami
Very cool piece from Bonnie.

edit: What are you guys seeing in Flood that I'm not? It looks just like a re-skinned infection.

Yall...

YALL.

Flood looks really fun.

To me it just looks like a re-skinned Infection. I'm not really sure how this is more appealing than standard Infection unless I've missed something.

But I will say that adding the Flood to the gametype was a great idea.

edit: YEAH JUST STEAL MY POST FRACAS, THANKS A LOT

Holy shit guys. They built the entirety of halo 4 THIS YEAR. Seeing where it ended up I am very impressed. They managed to make "the definitive halo" in ONE YEAR. Bungie am cry.

Seriously though good work 343. The development of Halo 4 sounded pretty intense in this OHI and I believe it has paid off wonderfully so far.

Thermite

Holy shit guys. They built the entirety of halo 4 THIS YEAR. Seeing where it ended up I am very impressed. They managed to make "the definitive halo" in ONE YEAR. Bungie am cry.

Seriously though good work 343. The development of Halo 4 sounded pretty intense in this OHI and I believe it has paid off wonderfully so far.

u w0t

Fotos

I really like the addition of the creepy music in Flood made. I can't wait to play it on Abandon. I don't know what it is but I just don't have the desire to make infection or Forge maps on Reach. But after seeing these maps maps and everything I really feel like making some Forge maps in Halo 4.

heckfu

Banned
Can someone post a link to the flood video? Been on mobile GAF all day and losing the focus to search through the pages.

Fixed.

Oh and the gay farmer reference and KT.

She took the badass Mandelorian bounty hunters in Star Wars (Bobby Fett's gang) and turned them into gay farmers. She also likens the Jedi to Nazi's.

Hmm.
Oh, I see. Yeah, I wouldn't put anything past Travissty.
You're right, it's not funny. Instead, it's just fucking awesome.

That's it. I'm starting a petition to make the Arbiter's homosexuality canon. #Queerbiter2012

WAT
what is this I don't even...

Fotos

love this picture

abandonconceptart-2.jpg

so good

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Uh, no. Final assembly but the whole thing took three years.

m23

That was a great write up by Bonnie. Man this month is going to go by sooooo slow, the anticipation is killing me. That last line though:

"There is no crying in Halo, but I dare you not to by the time the credits roll."

I think this spells trouble for Cortana.

Fotos

That was a great write up by Bonnie. Man this month is going to go by sooooo slow, the anticipation is killing me. That last line though:

"There is no crying in Halo, but I dare you not to by the time the credits roll."

I dont know but maybe she is just saying you will cry because it is over?

They wouldn't dare kill off or otherwise hurt Cortana.

Would they?

FyreWulff

It'll be hard to top Reach's credits.

If you play Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach in order, Bungie's run with the franchise ends on the first thing you see in Halo 1 and what they hooked the world on Halo with: The Pillar of Autumn and Installation 04.

Just a very nice bookend. And for the new generation, it led right into Halo: Anniversary: Everyone's Logos Are Gone

Also Ensemble saying goodbye via Halo Wars' credits was a bit depressing

Purplemage

Neo Member
I have played tons of Infection, and I mean well over a thousand games in Reach alone. But I don't believe I've ever seen anyone kill all the survivors by themselves without dying. I've gotten quite a few infection spree's in my life but I simply can't imagine pulling off that gravemind medal.

Maybe having one less survivor will make it easier but man that medal seems outlandishly difficult. It's certainly a good goal and I know what I'll be trying for now. It's gonna take quite a bit of luck to run into players that terrible AND have the other alpha zombie fail completely.

m23

It'll be hard to top Reach's credits.

If you play Halo 1, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach in order, Bungie's run with the franchise ends on the first thing you see in Halo 1 and what they hooked the world on Halo with: The Pillar of Autumn and Installation 04.

Yeah, that was a pretty emotional moment for those of us playing since Halo CE and I'm sure for others as well. Not sure how 343 will top that. But then again, they don't need to in that sense.

FyreWulff

Yeah, that was a pretty emotional moment for those of us playing since Halo CE and I'm sure for others as well. Not sure how 343 will top that. But then again, they don't need to in that sense.

What made it better was the commentary revealing that the Installation 04 you see is the exact same model from the Halo 1 menu, untouched.

Layers and layers

TheOddOne

Bonnie Ross said:
Kenneth, who fell for the “this space is just temporary while our real space is under repair” line during the interview process, joined our team as the Art Director. When the reality of the bad space set in, Kenneth started doing phone interviews for potential candidates in the hallway because there were no private meeting spaces. When it got too noisy in hallway, Kenneth moved his office to the men’s bathroom instituting a do not flush policy during phone interviews. Some of our best talent was recruited from the men’s bathroom. It was my own wailing and lamentation over Kenneth’s bathroom interviews that finally got my manager to approve us moving to a new space.
simpsons-crowd-shock-homer-smile.gif

Bonnie could write a whole book, loved reading her Oni piece <3

Hey

Hey hey

Hey hey hey hey hey hey

Spoilers out of here, please

Edit: Because apparently, even if some of you are spoiler tagging your posts, some geniuses are answering to them like it's no big deal.

Yeah - I keep almost accidentally clicking on spoilers and almost quoted someone before realising better.

Any chance that a seperatr thread can br made specifically for campaign spoilers? Would be nice to keep this thread 100% for news and not have to dodge spoilers

Vire

Nice write up by Bonnie.

The bit about Requiem fulfilling Sparths vision got me rather excited.

Can't wait.

Some random comments from the bulletin:
-Flood: 2 alphas spawn per round, 3 rounds. 6 players spawn as alphas and 4 do not. Still imbalanced.
-I know I've mentioned this before, but I'm still shocked that they made a gametype centered around a flood theme AND have a weapon sandbox that was designed to fight against the Flood, and you don't use those weapons in that gametype. Truly an odd decision IMO.
-Abandon is one of those maps where after a walkthrough and screens, I don't have the first idea of how it will really play.
-I still think the medals look bad. They look nice when you blow them up in high-res, but when you look at them small like they are displayed in the bulletin, which is basically how they look in-game as well, and they all look the same. They are not immediately recognizable.

SLRP that SALT

I have played tons of Infection, and I mean well over a thousand games in Reach alone. But I don't believe I've ever seen anyone kill all the survivors by themselves without dying. I've gotten quite a few infection spree's in my life but I simply can't imagine pulling off that gravemind medal.

Maybe having one less survivor will make it easier but man that medal seems outlandishly difficult. It's certainly a good goal and I know what I'll be trying for now. It's gonna take quite a bit of luck to run into players that terrible AND have the other alpha zombie fail completely.
I've never enjoyed playing infection much simply because the infected don't really have enough tools to attack the survivors. Playing games where all the survivors group up on a high point was the epitome of bland game play in Reach imo. It always took some lucky combination of attacking for any of the survivors to die. I'd really like to see the flood have some more tricks up their sleeves. Perhaps the thrust ability will help. I would like to have seen temporary partial transparency or camouflage, and even more speed given to the infected. Otherwise, I feel Flood in Halo4 will play out the same as it did in Reach. Maybe I need to go back and watch some Flood footage. Can anybody who had some hands on time with Flood mode reiterate their thoughts on it?

Enfinit

It's crazy to think that Halo 4 was being planned before we even got our hands on ODST.

Had I known then what I know now, I'd've shit my pants and not believed it.

FyreWulff

-Flood: 2 alphas spawn per round, 3 rounds. 6 players spawn as alphas and 4 do not. Still imbalanced.
-I know I've mentioned this before, but I'm still shocked that they made a gametype centered around a flood theme AND have a weapon sandbox that was designed to fight against the Flood, and you don't use those weapons in that gametype. Truly an odd decision IMO.
-Abandon is one of those maps where after a walkthrough and screens, I don't have the first idea of how it will really play.
-I still think the medals look bad. They look nice when you blow them up in high-res, but when you look at them small like they are displayed in the bulletin, which is basically how they look in-game as well, and they all look the same. They are not immediately recognizable.

SLRP that SALT

I'm still confused as to why they insist giving humans the Pistol in Infection. Both sides should have CQB weapons only.

SLRP that SALT
Fictional wise you could explain that the Spartan-IVs must learn how to fight against the Flood with weapons, they are going to have always with them.

But at the end I imagine I hope Halo 5 will bring Firefight, just bigger and more badass, coexistence to Spartan Ops. You know why not fighting against the Flood in FF? Why not fighting against Flood who fight your other enemies, the Prometheans at the same time?

TheOddOne

SLRP that SALT
I personally think they didn’t change the mode too much because they wanted to keep the simplicity of it intact. You know the setup, loadouts and tactics from the start, adding another layer would imbalance the simple nature of it. Not to say I don’t agree with you, it is kind of disappointing that the selection of weapons has not been widened.

I feel the opposite about the medals, blown up they look hideous but smaller they looks totally fine.

#Slurp

SLRP that SALT

Hopefully they add custom variants after launch, maybe even some forge maps.

Purplemage

Neo Member
I've never enjoyed playing infection much simply because the infected don't really have enough tools to attack the survivors. Playing games where all the survivors group up on a high point was the epitome of bland game play in Reach imo. It always took some lucky combination of attacking for any of the survivors to die. I'd really like to see the flood have some more tricks up their sleeves. Perhaps the thrust ability will help. I would like to have seen temporary partial transparency or camouflage, and even more speed given to the infected. Otherwise, I feel Flood in Halo4 will play out the same as it did in Reach. Maybe I need to go back and watch some Flood footage. Can anybody who had some hands on time with Flood mode reiterate their thoughts on it?

Well I think you just said the solution yourself, thruster pack. Certainly infection is a one sided mode on purpose. For the infected in the beginning and the survivors towards the end. And I can say personally I've never really struggled to kill a survivor when I had evade. Now I've seen how thruster works and I know it is really different from evade but it looks like the improved flood version will be more than enough to kill a few spartans. If you're creative in your approach and don't just run straight up I think the Flood players will do fine. In my experience it's always been about using that zombie jump and the lunge to approach from an angle that the survivors would never expect. Like using the doorway to get up to sword bridge on countdown or all the knarly jumps on uncaged.

That was a good write up - bit worried about how much pressure the execs had on the creative process - but I can 100% say the fun factor is there in droves.

Is halogaf doing a mass meet at NYCC? If so could you try and fit in a game against eachother - I would love to know what your impressions are when you play against competent people who could potentially abuse parts of the sandbox.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Totally yoinked that H4 Gold logo from the Bulletin tonight. Shit is sick

edit: Bobs, I'm not sure I'd consider it a "mass" meet up but there will be a decent number of us. Not quite sure if we could do a 4v4 of just us. Also, with the way lines work and shit I'm sure some of us will play a game before others.

We do need to get front row of that panel though and show some HaloGAF love there.

Halo 4, at this point in time, to me:

Halo 1's power in gameplay.
Halo 2's soul in multiplayer.
Halo 3's ambition with style.
ODST's vision of storytelling.
Reach's balls to have its own identity.
Halo Wars' beauty in presentation.

Can't wait to play this game. Halo 4 is me.

Top Bottom