• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT9| One Final Effort Is All That Remains

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Definitely. Lesson learned from this one.

You guys have probably heard this before, but yeah trust me, next one will be much improved.

Which packages (I think that's the name) are in that category? I'm definitely curious to use dexterity, but the option for more ammo with power weapons is very tempting.

Wait, the ammo one gives more ammo to power weapons too?

This chances everything...

nillapuddin

Sweet, thanks! If anyone can point me to a list of all loadout options, I'll see if I can whip up a neat graphic.

Although if someone that's talented wants to do it, I'd be fine with that :p

MS Paint kind of sucks lol

Primary Weapon:
  • Assault Rifle
  • Battle Rifle
  • Carbine
  • Designated Marksman Rifle
  • Lightrifle
  • Storm Rifle
  • Suppressor
Secondary Weapon:
  • Boltshot
  • Magnum
  • Plasma Pistol
Grenade Type:
  • Frag Grenade
  • Plasma Grenade
  • Pulse Grenade
Armor Ability:
  • Active Camo
  • Autosentry
  • Hardlight Shield
  • Hologram
  • Jetpack
  • Promethean Vision
  • Regen Field
  • Thruster Pack

rofl

didnt feel like posting the whole thing

here ya go

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
pretty spot on stuff

My biggest gripe is speed and accessibility- fingers crossed for the relaunch.

Hopefully if they do ranks- they'll be easier to track. Find it completely puzzling that I can see every Arena season on HaloTracker but only most recent/last on Waypoint and the last three rated seasons in game.

Fracas

#fuckonami
need a way to split teams up better. having people in different time zones really messes up schedules
Yep, time zones as well as factoring things like "this player can't stay up late, he's got work, this guy's going to be away for a couple days", etc. Same goes for all alternates. Every team will have specific alternates assigned to them based on skill/time zone.
Wait, the ammo one gives more ammo to power weapons too?

This chances everything...
As far as I know, it does :(
Primary Weapon:
  • Assault Rifle
  • Battle Rifle
  • Carbine
  • Designated Marksman Rifle
  • Lightrifle
  • Storm Rifle
  • Suppressor
Secondary Weapon:
  • Boltshot
  • Magnum
  • Plasma Pistol
Grenade Type:
  • Frag Grenade
  • Plasma Grenade
  • Pulse Grenade
Armor Ability:
  • Active Camo
  • Autosentry
  • Hardlight Shield
  • Hologram
  • Jetpack
  • Promethean Vision
  • Regen Field
  • Thruster Pack

rofl

didnt feel like posting the whole thing

here ya go
Nice! If I'm not lazy, I'll get to it tonight

For those that care, let's talk about stat tracking for Halo 4. As all of us know, Waypoint is pretty poor. It's not good at organization, speed, and/or linking. Not to bash too hard on their webteam, (mostly because I don't know the restrictions and requirements from the folks at Microsoft) but it is in dire need of repair. I think simplicity is the key for them to look at, similar to the MP design team. They need to get the core of the tracking and the UI in order for it to be successful.

iUFArlIKEeYkH.jpg

This is not simple. It is a clusterfuck of information.

How can it be improved? For starters, remove the "All games" section. You should also be able to distinguish what is Matchmaking and what is not(custom campaigns, firefights, and multiplayer). After that, Firefight is essentially unlimited Campaign, and multiplayer is vastly different from either of the AI based modes. Once you have AI and MP distinguished, you can then branch out those modes. "Arena" is no longer a separate beast from "competitive", it has simply become another playlist. Add in a playlist sort feature with checkboxes (so you can lump certain similar playlists together). Add a map sort feature so I can see what maps I need improvement on. Maybe add the feature of map-viewing, so you can put in global and personal heatmaps, and possibly Atlas integration.

It will be key to make the UI experience as easy as possible. That will be crucial if some of the extras that I mentioned are added. Achronos and the bungie.net webteam did a stellar job with giving us information in a simple design. We were spoiled too much by Bungie. There were clear and concise ways to get to your service record. Waypoint's ways to get to your service record(and for that matter what the service record is) aren't clear.

iwwhDUV7b8gXG.jpg

iAfxZGuxg6hvg.jpg

Unnecessary redundancies in the main Waypoint menu.

iblKr6P0peBNPQ.jpg

These medals are incorrect. It shows a Hell's Jerome medal in the Hell's Janitor position.

Next on my agenda is medals. We've seen a vast amount of medals for Halo 4, whether some of these are actual medals or just white text, I don't know. But if we are going to have Distractions, I want to see how many times I've distracted an enemy.

Adding to this, it can be possible to truly see what type of player someone is better than commendations and the Waypoint awards. If these medals from in-game can be properly translated, then you can see how that player actually functions. Are they a ranged player or a close quarters player? Do they use vehicles or kill them(or both)?

As shown in the picture above, it's also going to be key to get the medals correct.

ixTxXXTeFbTkk.jpg

I never want to see this again.

The speed at which you can access your stats is atrocious. To access it in-game, it is a maze of menus. Make both speedy. Make both easy to navigate. If it is a Microsoft requirement that it use Silverlight, then I guess there's not a bunch you can do. If possible, drop the Silverlight. It is slow and also makes you install Silverlight to a computer. Let's say you're at work and want to check out your stats. You can't without installing which may be against your company's policies.

irpu3lf2fLB2t.jpg

This happened while I was getting screens for this post.

Lastly, the linking. Have you tried linking to a file share? Have you tried linking to someone's game history? Have you tried linking to a Waypoint news article? If the answer is yes, then you've probably had some issues accessing restricted content. Restricted content that is publicly available... That's not correct. A box specifically for a link to the content would be nice and a good solution.

*Oh and an API for developers would be nice.

Quoted for new page. Quality post, Karl. <3

Can't decide which is more need of fixing: the speed of Waypoint, or the way it presents its information. As it is a stats site, probably the latter.

senador

Banned
I would love for Halo 4 to have a stats API so alternate sites can be created as well as mobile apps, I'd like to mess around with it too. I don't feel like we'll see one though. I'm thinking they won't be with it enoigh yet and their code base won't be at a place to provide one. Maybe it'd come later. I hope I am wrong though.

The one good thing that was shown from the footage was the power of a charged Boltshot.

Seemed pretty lethal at close range.
This will make the choice between it and the PP much more difficult in Big Team. I can always use the Promethean grenades to deal with vehicles if I have to and with DMR/Boltshot starts I would have a powerful long range weapon and a pretty good CQC weapon as well.

We were discussing Halo evolutions today in the lobby and it was decided that dirt is collectively the favorite.
Whoa really? For me it's a toss-up between Mona Lisa, Impossible Life<snip>Cole, and Midlothian
SSSSSLLLLLUUUURRRRRPPPPP
. 2 of those three involve humans running around trying to kill a bunch of aliens and/or survive an alien attack.

EDIT: We just got Stroll Troll'D
https://twitter.com/alisonst/status/246720842845782016/photo/1

Plain Ben

Watched that GB gameplay. Lol'd at the bug where the guy got points for shooting his own Scorpion as it was boarded.

Umm... I know this might be a dumb question this late on. But how do these supposed 'random' weapon spawns work? I see people picking all sorts of different weapons up from similar locations in all these gameplay vids, are they on a cycle or something?

Getting an iPhone5. S my d Gaf.

fuck the iphone. nokia 920 all the way

Yep, time zones as well as factoring things like "this player can't stay up late, he's got work, this guy's going to be away for a couple days", etc. Same goes for all alternates. Every team will have specific alternates assigned to them based on skill/time zone.

As far as I know, it does :(

Nice! If I'm not lazy, I'll get to it tonight

what if teams had six players. whatever 4 are on play.

fuck the iphone. nokia 920 all the way

what if teams had six players. whatever 4 are on play.

Then there's the inevitable issue of more than four people being on and deciding who gets to play.

Also, just thinking out loud here about tourneys: what if we had different maps based on the rounds? Each initial bracket would use the same set but round 1, 2, semifinals, etc. could have different map/gametype sets. Maybe even ones tailored to the tourney.

Enfinit

Post about Waypoint stat tracking.

Excellent post, Karl. I agree 100% that we were spoiled by Bungie, I'm constantly impressed with Bungie's webteam.

Although, I think a lot of the grievances we have with Waypoint's stat tracking and UI will be settled come the massive site overhaul in November. I don't know the specifics other than a lot of the site, including the forums, will change in design to accommodate all of the information Halo 4 will have. Apparently the stat tracking will be more expansive then Bungie.net's (or so I've heard).

Top Bottom