• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

SpacLock

Lunchbox said:
they have 20 codes :|

if they had 2000 i might have had a chance. 20 are gonna go to all the cousins and friends of the g4 crew

You have to look at it this way...

it's 50/50. Either you're one of the 20 or you're not. =\

We already knew forge was in, but I dont think anybody posted this picture:

Screenshot2010-04-27at24859PM.png

So that makes it visually official. Also, notice how the menu has something highlighted that has no text. I'm going out on a limb and going to guess its Firefight, or its evolution for Reach.

Let me know if this has been posted, But I dont think it was.

Wow, was reading an ancient (1998) article about Riven and this part about Martin O'Donnell turned up:

Not that the animals found in Riven can also be found on Earth. One is a useful, froglike creature (in-house name: ytram).

The origin of the ytram deserves its own paragraph. In the first days after Richard arrived at Cyan, when Chris Brandkamp's garage was still serving as world headquarters, there was an annoying frog living behind the drywall next to Richard's desk. Also, there were constant phone calls from a guy named Marty O'Donnell, who kept bugging the Millers about doing sound effects for Riven. He was a nice guy and all; he was also a pest. So when the guys were searching for a convenient name to call Riven's not-frogs, Richard suggested ytram, which is Marty backward. Marty knows about all this and thinks it's funny; says he does, anyway. PS: He got the job.

Back on topic - so pumped about Firefight!

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Demoncarnotaur said:
We already knew forge was in, but I dont think anybody posted this picture:

So that makes it visually official. Also, notice how the menu has something highlighted that has no text. I'm going out on a limb and going to guess its Firefight, or its evolution for Reach.

Let me know if this has been posted, But I dont think it was.

HOT!

EazyB

Banned
The 1up videos have been pretty great so far.

Watching their swat game it was really interesting to see that there was no health bar. In CE when you removed the shield you still had your health bar and health packs. It seems we won't have to worry about health packs in Reach's swat which would be awesome.

Edit: And fuck quitters. They ruin the match for everyone.

GhaleonEB

Sai said:
Odd how he kept switching to the AR even with no enemies close by.
My favorite was everyone running around in the wide open with swords.

Nice find on the menu above. Since they're about content complete, I'd expect that to mimic the final menu. And yea, it's Firefight or Activities or such. Can't wait to see how that and Forge have evolved.
Syracuse022 said:
Haha, you don't really put a whole lot of stock in this whole "odds" concept, do you? If a site has 2000 codes to giveaway (instead of 20) and the same viewer base, your odds increase. Flipping a coin is 50/50. Giving away codes is not. :lol
I think he was being sarcastic. I had a friend who used to make the same joke: "hey my odds are 50/50 - either I win or I don't".
EazyB said:

Watching their swat game it was really interesting to see that there was no health bar. In CE when you removed the shield you still had your health bar and health packs. It seems we won't have to worry about health packs in Reach's swat which would be awesome.
It's been a while since I played SWAT, but I the grenade icon was gone from the HUD as well. IIRC, in Halo 3 the icons stay there but show you aren't carrying any. It might mean SWAT has been given its own dedicated gametype, ala Griffball.

SpacLock said:
You have to look at it this way...

it's 50/50. Either you're one of the 20 or you're not. =\
Haha, you don't really put a whole lot of stock in this whole "odds" concept, do you? If a site has 2000 codes to giveaway (instead of 20) and the same viewer base, your odds increase. Flipping a coin is 50/50. Giving away codes is not. :lol

Shake Appeal said:
It really doesn't take that long to kill anyone with regular weapons provided you're working in the right range and conditions for the weapon you're using, which most new players simply don't realize.

Also, lengthy 1v1 encounters (within reason) increase skill, as they mitigate against players getting caught out, require continued success with aiming, maneuvering, and thinking, and provide players with more time and opportunites to get creative. The best player in the world at CoD (as an example) dies in an instant no matter who it is that fires on him first (and the weapon being used by both is often irrelevant). That is not true of the best player in the world at Halo.
I guess I'm sort of looking at things from a Halo:CE perspective, where the pistol could 3-shot someone and had a very quick rate of fire. But that 3-shot also took a lot of skill. It wasn't something that people could just pick up a controller and do. I think this ability to kill fast made the game far more interesting, intense, and rewarding while at the same time it was not CoD where you instantly die either (strafing and accuracy could counter being 2nd to fire a gun).It basically empowered the individual to kick tail and do it well if that player knew what he was doing.

And while I can see the skill that is involved in a longer encounter, the encounter almost always gets interrupted or affected by other players before a player dies. And for me it just gets old. This is what goes through my mind a lot of the time when playing halo 3: "omg seriously? i'm still shooting this guy wtf and he should have died a while ago. oh look people have shown up to the party because I'm still shooting this guy."

This is maybe not the exact thoughts that go through my head, but the feeling is definitely there. I'm super excited about the pistol in reach, but I fear the melee system is going to annoy me more often than not. i just see people opting not to even go in for melee kills at all in most situations, with the exception of attempted assassinations.

SpacLock

Syracuse022 said:

That's why I said that it's better to just look at it differently. I know that the odds are complete shit, but if you always look at it that way you'll never give it a shot.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Domino Theory said:
Holy shit, I actually found footage of a journalist using something other than an AR, it's a fucking miracle. And he has some idea of what he's doing, too.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29106

the wraith at :35 gets man-handled by grenades (and a plasma launcher?). nice to see that they arent nearly invincible

EDIT: and again at 2:45 by a few guys with infantry weapons (plasma repeaters)

Holy shit, I actually found footage of a journalist using something other than an AR, it's a fucking miracle. And he has some idea of what he's doing, too.

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29106

Not sure if this has been pointed out, but did you notice near the end of the video (2:08) after he respawned, the glowing red column instantly recharged his AA when he got near it?

EDIT: forget it, looks like AA's always recharge instantly after their cooldown.

Also, as was posted above, Halo CE pistol shows that long fights != skill or excitement. In Halo 3 the fights constantly get ruined by reinforcements from the other team or your own mates showing up late and kill-stealing off of your effort.

One thing I did notice..or rather not notice was destructible walls. Its very possible they are in, but it seems even with rockets on powerhouse that things were staying intact. Although, overall the explosion effects are really impressive even without environmental damage.

By the way, thanks to everyone who has been posting contest pages for F&F codes. I have probably joined each one, and even if the odds are slim it is worth a try. :lol

EazyB said:

Edit: And fuck quitters. They ruin the match for everyone.

Wow SWAT looks awesome in Reach. Is it going to be in the beta?

Deputy Moonman said:
I guess I'm sort of looking at things from a Halo:CE perspective, where the pistol could 3-shot someone and had a very quick rate of fire. But that 3-shot also took a lot of skill.
Well, a 4-shot or more likely 5-shot from the BR is pretty quick to execute, but I take your point.

And while I can see the skill that is involved in a longer encounter, the encounter almost always gets interrupted or affected by other players before a player dies. And for me it just gets old.
I think this is intentional on Bungie's part; they've said before they like it when firefights sprawl out and get messy. That unpredictability is what appeals to many people. For me, it makes the times and places you choose to engage more important, and your position relative to the other team (and their spawns) and your own team (and their spawns) more significant, which again would seem to reward smart tactical play, if not raw controller skills.

I fear the melee system is going to annoy me more often than not. i just see people opting not to even go in for melee kills at all in most situations, with the exception of attempted assassinations.
I understand the concern, but the idea that more battles will happen at range, and that there will be fewer people barreling toward you spewing bullets looking to get a punch in appeals to me, frankly.

watership

Dani said:
<3 Tashi x2

--

Right, going to throw this out again today.

Anyone wanting to hook up with other GAFers during the Beta, use this Gamertag. Via the Friends of Friends and Active Roaster, come Beta time you shouldn't have a problem finding folks to hook up and frag with.

The first GT is now filled so please stop sending requests - send them to the new GT .

Add GT: HALOGAFBETA2

(that's all caps!)

Thought it might be a good idea to start filling it up early. If or when it reaches the max friend limit, we'll have another ready.

If you are already on the first GT, refrain from joining the second to allow more folks to hook up.

Feel free to use it. =)

sent! GT: watership

GhaleonEB

Shake Appeal said:
I understand the concern, but the idea that more battles will happen at range, and that there will be fewer people barreling toward you spewing bullets looking to get a punch in appeals to me, frankly.
Aye. Players trying that against someone with the pistol, say, will just pop the shields and then take a shot to the head. I suspect that as much as anything will really shift close quarters combat a bit.

Im actually not concerned too much by armor lock. Yes, you go invulnerable, but only for a limited time and you're locked in position. BUT your shields and health dont recharge while armor-lock is active.

In all the videos Ive seen armor lock used, the shields and health have never regenerated over the time the ability has been used. Feel free to point me to a video that proves this wrong.

But if it IS correct, then armor lock just buys you a few seconds of time to cry for help, or maybe use what appears so be some proximity damage to score a kill on aggressive attackers.

You can be an idiot and keep wasting ammo on someone using armor lock, or wait for the ability to wear off and immediately begin firing at them again.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
dslgunstar said:
Im actually not concerned too much by armor lock. Yes, you go invulnerable, but only for a limited time and you're locked in position. BUT your shields and dont recharge while armor-lock is active.

In all the videos Ive seen armor lock used, the shields and health have never regenerated over the time the ability has been used. Feel free to point me to a video that proves this wrong.

But if it IS correct, then armor lock just buys you a few seconds of time to cry for help, or maybe use what appears so be some proximity damage to score a kill on aggressive attackers.

You can be an idiot and keep wasting ammo on someone using armor lock, or wait for the ability to wear off and immediately begin firing at them again.

it seems like a great way to save yourself while teammates can come to your rescue and finished off weakened opponents. thats what i see it primarily used for

Gui_PT said:
Sorry for asking, but is the live action commercial going to be on Sky News?

Right, it's really no more useful than the bubble-shield. You sacrifice the ability to move for the ability to use it repeatedly.

You can find it here at 9pm tonight: http://www.welcometonobleteam.com/

Dani said:
<3 Tashi x2

--

Anyone wanting to hook up with other GAFers during the Beta, use this Gamertag. Via the Friends of Friends and Active Roaster, come Beta time you shouldn't have a problem finding folks to hook up and frag with.

The first GT is now filled so please stop sending requests - send them to the new GT .

(that's all caps!)

Thought it might be a good idea to start filling it up early. If or when it reaches the max friend limit, we'll have another ready.

If you are already on the first GT, refrain from joining the second to allow more folks to hook up.

Feel free to use it. =)

Sent.

WJD

I was right about the football by the way... This trailer's going to be the most interesting thing about it.

The beta feels so much more robust this go around. I am sure it is just that there will be things in this beta that are more of a departure from normal halo than the things in the H3 beta, but man there just seems a ton of new stuff to try.
Mass amounts os hype may also have something to do with it.

S1kkZ

Gui_PT said:
Thanks. Problem is that's on your time zone.

Your 9 pm is schleepy taime for me =\
i think some will capture the trailer after the soccer game and put it online (should happen in the next 2 hours).

Shake Appeal said:
Well, a 4-shot or more likely 5-shot from the BR is pretty quick to execute, but I take your point.

I think this is intentional on Bungie's part; they've said before they like it when firefights sprawl out and get messy. That unpredictability is what appeals to many people. For me, it makes the times and places you choose to engage more important, and your position relative to the other team (and their spawns) and your own team (and their spawns) more significant, which again would seem to reward smart tactical play, if not raw controller skills.
I probably have some room to improve in the tactical department. Chaos can definitely be fun, though. And honestly, after watching many of these new videos, most of my fears are gone, anyway. Watching that guy running around with the DMR, and sword was awesome. That kind of rambo gameplay always turns me on:lol . Where Marcus has the word, "reach" repeating in his head, I have Luke repeating "It's AWESOME!" in mine.
Shake Appeal said:
I never really thought about it in that light. I think i will like that too.

Gui_PT

dslgunstar said:
Well, I think once it goes live you'll be able to see it any time you want on that site.

But I'm jonesing man! I need my fix today, not tomorrow!

S1kkZ said:
i think some will capture the trailer after the soccer game and put it online (should happen in the next 2 hours).

Well I asked because I looked for Sky News on tv, but there's no game announced. Probably Sky News 2 or something,

subrock

Shake Appeal said:
we have really only seen larger scale maps at this point too. there's not a lot of hiding in hallways and jumping around corners with and AR+melee on the larger maps.

GhaleonEB

op_ivy said:
it seems like a great way to save yourself while teammates can come to your rescue and finished off weakened opponents. thats what i see it primarily used for
I think it will be effective at giving flag/bomb runners some breathing room as well. It can partly block off a doorway, and a full charge pushes players back. It can be used to head off some guys trying to chase the flag carrier down by pushing them away from the doorway the carrier went through for a few moments. Let the carrier through, watch radar for the pursuers, go into lock a couple seconds before they get to the door, and the carrier has those few extra moments.

In one of the released pics, someone was using it inside their Stockpile territory. The push effect at the end would keep attackers from being able to toss flags out at the last second to spoil a round.
Shake Appeal said:
There goes Ghaleon, always thinking of ways to sacrifice himself for the good of the objective. :lol
For the greater good! And as opposed to what I normally do, which is sacrifice myself for no reason. :lol

FFChris

What does everyone think of the maps so far?

They are all a bit too open for my liking, but I suppose that comes with the territory (jetpacks and all).

Sword base seems the best of the bunch, Powerhouse could be fun but I haven't seen a lot of it. Overlook and Boneyard don't excite me much, but Boneyard is purpose built. Overlook just seems a bit dull. =(

Gameplay wise, it all looks great. Just hope for some truely outstanding maps in the full version.

I havent had a chance to check out all the videos yet, are there any that dont feature Spartans just getting annihilated by Elites using dodge and camo? :lol

If so, which site has'em?

Schmitty

dslgunstar said:
I havent had a chance to check out all the videos yet, are there any that dont feature Spartans just getting annihilated by Elites using dodge and camo? :lol

If so, which site has'em?
1UP has really good ones.

Gui_PT

So, you got your hands on a copy of Halo 3: ODST and now you want to play the Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta. You’re in luck. Here’s what you’ll need to join in our Beta test on May 3rd, 2010.

Halo 3: ODST’s Campaign Disc
A Valid Xbox LIVE Gold Subscription
A Broadband Internet Connection
Approximately 1.2 Gigabytes of Hard Drive Disk Space

methodman said:
Ohmy fucking god. Just red ringed. You piece of shit. 2nd time in 2 years :(

Sorry to hear that man. This is my major worry, my monitor wasnt switching on earlier and the only thing I was thinking was "damn I hope I get a new one before the beta hits". Im good to go now thankfully, but im praying to every god I can think of that my xbox doesnt just break. Or the world doesnt end or something insane. :lol

think it will be effective at giving flag/bomb runners some breathing room as well. It can partly block off a doorway, and a full charge pushes players back. It can be used to head off some guys trying to chase the flag carrier down by pushing them away from the doorway the carrier went through for a few moments. Let the carrier through, watch radar for the pursuers, go into lock a couple seconds before they get to the door, and the carrier has those few extra moments.

I actually had the same idea for how the armour lock could essentially lock down a pathway on the Pit, let your flag guy escape through rockets and get a player to lock it down behind him to force the enemy to take a detour. It sounds fairly interesting in that aspect.

Gui_PT said:
"So, you got your hands on a copy of Halo 3: ODST and now you want to play the Halo: Reach Multiplayer Beta. You’re in luck. Here’s what you’ll need to join in our Beta test on May 3rd, 2010.

Halo 3: ODST’s Campaign Disc
A Valid Xbox LIVE Gold Subscription
A Broadband Internet Connection
Approximately 1.2 Gigabytes of Hard Drive Disk Space"
I was sooo close. :lol

Oozer3993

dslgunstar said:
Im actually not concerned too much by armor lock. Yes, you go invulnerable, but only for a limited time and you're locked in position. BUT your shields and health dont recharge while armor-lock is active.

Your shields can recharge while in Armor Lock. Xav from Joystiq specifically mentioned that as a strategy with the Armor Lock and demonstrated it in their video about Armor Abilities (about 4:40 in).

Oozer3993 said:
Your shields can recharge while in Armor Lock. Xav from Joystiq specifically mentioned that as a strategy with the Armor Lock and demonstrated it in their video about Armor Abilities (about 4:40 in).

Ah, fair enough. Then I guess there will be some skill involved in when and where you opt to use it.

That and the weapons that come with it should help balance it. Of course, people could just spawn with armor lock and track down a DMR....we shall see.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Dani said:
<3 Tashi x2

--

(that's all caps!)

Feel free to use it. =)

FR sent. Gamertag: Satter. ^.^

Top Bottom