• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
LukeSmith said:
Onyx is a small slice of the population. I'm the king of my high school basketball team, but it seems pretty unlikely that I'll even play JUCO.

So many 50s in H3 got carried there by teammates - or brought down by teammates - so there's no real analog to looking at someone's ranking from a previous game. I expect a lot of Steel from GAF, a few Golds and even fewer Onyx. It will be pretty dependent on how many people end up going into the Arena.

Also keep in mind, that over time - season over season - it will theoretically become harder to reach Onyx because of attrition, (Steels may drop out), moving the player population down - i.e. a Season 1 Onyx may be a Season 3 Gold or lower just on account of population migration.

I was the 8th best player in the Internal Beta and tops at Bungie, but like I said, I won't be playing JUCO ball.

Confirmed that I will be Steel at best. :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Kibbles said:
What? Where?
Sky Sports in the UK...

Very similar to the ODST commercial. Some guy laying on a bed, with stuff being injected in to him and pipes going everywhere... short cut to an huge outdoor area with a Pelican in the distance... then the guy gets out of his bed, looks through the glass looking at the Spartan armour and you see his reflection over the armour itself.

LukeSmith

Lead Based Paint said:
Sounds like the higher ratings are going to be hard to reach. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear! I wonder what Onyx rating would be if it were transfered over to H2. That to me would be much more interesting to see than H3

Like I said, analogs to previous games are wholly irrelevant because of the fundamental changes to how you're being evaluated. You literally have zero concept (indefinite case of the word "you") how you would translate, because you've never been evaluated like this before.

kylej

Banned
Matty McDee said:
I think you will like the Magnum much better than the DMR.

I hope so!!!

Wizman23 said:

Oh look it's "Wizman23" swooping in to save the day and protect Bungie from any criticism. AR starts should not be in an ultra-competitive environment. But really, AR or not I will still shit on you until the end of time, Wizman.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Generic said:
I apologize for my complete noobishness here, but how does this work exactly? Because I'm a friend of HALOGAFBETA2, I'm automatically friends with everyone else who is HALOGAFBETA2's friend? Do I join a party or what?

The privacy settings on the GT are open, so you can view everyone on that GT's Friend's List. It doesn't automatically make you friends with those other players but it does give you a list of other GAFers that you can invite to your party or send a message to hook up with.

In conjunction with the Active Roaster, the Reach Beta feature that helps you connect with your own friends, you should have a wide pool of other players to play with during the Beta.

Kapura

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Bungie should host a dating service with all this matchmaking expertise.
The system is meant to make for good conflicts. I'm not sure that's what you want to be looking for in a dating service.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Kapura said:
K urk, we've gotten a lot of info for the playlists now, but there is a notable exception.

Arena formula plz.

Requires advanced maths. Coming soon.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Well Halo is still very much a team game so there will definitely be carrying and bringing down in Arena.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
kylej said:
Because the chef is reluctant to serve anything else.

We're "reluctantly" offering DMR starts at the outset of every single Arena match. Make your voice heard!

LukeSmith said:
Onyx is a small slice of the population. I'm the king of my high school basketball team, but it seems pretty unlikely that I'll even play JUCO.

So many 50s in H3 got carried there by teammates - or brought down by teammates - so there's no real analog to looking at someone's ranking from a previous game. I expect a lot of Steel from GAF, a few Golds and even fewer Onyx. It will be pretty dependent on how many people end up going into the Arena.

Also keep in mind, that over time - season over season - it will theoretically become harder to reach Onyx because of attrition, (Steels may drop out), moving the player population down - i.e. a Season 1 Onyx may be a Season 3 Gold or lower just on account of population migration.

I was the 8th best player in the Internal Beta and tops at Bungie, but like I said, I won't be playing JUCO ball.

Interesting reply. Its hard to get a tangible feel for it without playing it, is it possible to say how the percentages break down at all? Is it fair to say Halo 3 50's probably took up a much bigger statistical percentage of the population than you expected with Halo 3?

If you have to be almost pro to get into Onyx that would be a little too harsh in my opinion, there are a lot of 50's on Gaf but if Onyx is as exclusive as you say, its going to be tough.

The Arena is going to break some hearts :lol

Anyone know of a online place I can watch that trailer?

Kapura

Banned
urk said:
Requires advanced maths. Coming soon.
K, when there's a little number behind and slightly above another number, that's called a "power." It means you multiple the first number times itself the number of times specified by the second number. It's pretty cool.

Or does it involve i? As in, when people get a lucky noscope, their skill goes up by 200i, which is to say that any perceived skill they have is imaginary.

On the subject of Invasion loadouts:

Elite Loadouts
Warrior (Plasma Repeater, Plasma Pistol, 2 Plasma Grenades, Evade)
Assassin (Needler, No Secondary, 1 Plasma Grenade, Active Camo) - only available in Invasion, not Invasion Slayer

Spartan Loadouts
Scout (AR, Magnum, 2 Frags, Sprint)
Marksman (DMR, No Secondary, 1 Frag, Sprint) - only available in Invasion, not Invasion Slayer

- Interesting decisions right from the get go. Do you go with the Needler and leave a space open for the Needle-rifle, or go with the rapid-fire shield-shredding of the new Repeater. Or do you go with the Repeater and swap out the PP for the Needle rifle for the best of both worlds.

Likewise with the Spartans. Start with the DMR from the get go, or risk a vulnerable start with the AR and pick up a DMR on the battlefield for the ultimate short/mid range combo.

CANNOT. WAIT. FOR. THURSDAY.

kylej

Banned
urk said:
We're "reluctantly" offering DMR starts at the outset of every single Arena match. Make your voice heard!

Classic Slayer
Round Time Limit: 12 minutes
Maps: Powerhouse, Sword Base
Score to Win: 50
Loadout Palette: Disabled
Primary Weapon: Assault Rifle
Secondary Weapon: Magnum
Base Grenades: 2x Frags
Base Equipment: Sprint/Evade

?

Kapura

Banned
kylej said:
Classic Slayer

?
Pretty sure he's talking about the veto/gametype selection in the lobby.

IZZO

Neo Member
bobs99 ... said:
Interesting reply. Its hard to get a tangible feel for it without playing it, is it possible to say how the percentages break down at all? Is it fair to say Halo 3 50's probably took up a much bigger statistical percentage of the population than you expected with Halo 3?

If you have to be almost pro to get into Onyx that would be a little too harsh in my opinion, there are a lot of 50's on Gaf but if Onyx is as exclusive as you say, its going to be tough.

The Arena is going to break some hearts :lol

Anyone know of a online place I can watch that trailer?
If I ever get into gold I'll die a happy man :D

urk said:

DMR starts on larger maps, AR starts on smaller maps.

Seriously, why must we always wait until a few months after release for the same, logical solution? :lol

cjelly said:
Sky Sports in the UK...

Very similar to the ODST commercial. Some guy laying on a bed, with stuff being injected in to him and pipes going everywhere... short cut to an huge outdoor area with a Pelican in the distance... then the guy gets out of his bed, looks through the glass looking at the Spartan armour and you see his reflection over the armour itself.

For some reason I did not realize that it would show this soon. That sounds pretty cool, and basically what was expected from the description yesterday. Any shots of the covenant? I wonder how the extended cut will differ. Hopefully someone will upload the copmmercial online.

Oh, btw, was the armor a practical effect or CGI?

EDIT:

Letters said:

Awesome. Can't wait for the extended cut.

kylej said:
Classic Slayer

?
You'll be voting for 3 gametypes from a pool of 7, this is only one of them.

another of them is juggernaut :(

Kapura said:
K, when there's a little number behind and slightly above another number, that's called a "power." It means you multiple the first number times itself the number of times specified by the second number. It's pretty cool.
Somebody just got out of math class, I see.

TommyT

For those of us that are weird and like the default layout of the controls (of halo 3), will there be an option for that control scheme as well? Or did I miss something and that's still the default layout?!

Gui_PT

chess said:
edit: beat down by letters

Yeah I found it just before you posted it. Apparently, my search was being way too specific so I changed it and it worked

I still beat Letters =P

kylej

Banned
dslgunstar said:
Seriously, why must we always wait until a few months after release for the same, logical solution? :lol

We're still waiting for the chef to make this logical conclusion 2 years after opening his last restaurant.
Sai-kun said:
Actually he's serving two other dishes as well. Pick the other two, and stop crying :lol

A chef that wastes time preparing dishes for a market that doesn't exist isn't the brightest bulb.

This thread would be way better if everyone posted analogies.

feel

Gui_PT said:
I still beat Letters =P
You stealth edited it into you post after I had already posted it. :D

Anyway, I didn't really like it too much. I hope th extended cut actually extends after the end, and not just make the boring parts of this one even longer.

Gui_PT

Letters said:
You stealth edited it into you post after I had already posted it. :D

Don't hate. Reciprocate :D

Edit: I actually edited my post with the link without knowing you had posted it. Forgive me

I still won though

Sai-kun

Banned
kylej said:
We're still waiting for the chef to make this logical conclusion 2 years after opening his last restaurant.

A chef that wastes time preparing dishes for a market that doesn't exist isn't the brightest bulb.

This thread would be way better if everyone posted analogies.

If it didn't exist, they probably wouldn't offer it. But since you say there's no market for it, you don't even need to worry about it, because it'll never get voted for, right?

chess

urk said:
Yet you eat and eat and eat. It's just one option.

:lol
sfbI2.gif

GhaleonEB

kylej said:
Should probably wait until the Beta starts to go there. Just watch the masses vote for Slayer Classic and drive you mad in the process.

Kuroyume

Banned
Assualt is better than KOTH or Oddball any fucking day. It doesn't matter of it's the Halo 3 shitty version of it too. Damn you Bungie.

Top Bottom