• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Playlist Information, apologies for long-ass post.

Grab Bag [4v4 players, max. party size 8]:

1 Flag CTF
Round Time Limit: 3 minutes
Maps: Powerhouse, Sword Base
Number of Rounds: 4
Loadout Palette: Objective

Stockpile
Round Time Limit: 12 Minutes
Score to Win: 10

Oddball
Map: Powerhouse [Shake's Note: presumably Sword Base too? It's in the FFA equivalent.]
Score to Win: 150
Vehicles On Map: Light Ground

Team Crazy King
Vehicles On Map: Light Ground

3 Plots
Score to Win: 300

Team Slayer
Round Time Limit: 12 minutes
Score to Win: 50
Loadout Palette: Slayer

Team SWAT
Loadout Palette: SWAT

Covy Team Slayer
Loadout Palette: Covy Slayer

FFA (Free-for-All) [8 players, max. party size 8]:

Slayer
Score to Win: 25

Slayer Pro Round
Time Limit: 12 minutes
Loadout Palette: Slayer Pro
Motion Tracker: Disabled

Classic Slayer
Loadout Palette: Disabled
Primary Weapon: Assault Rifle
Secondary Weapon: Magnum
Base Grenades: 2x Frags
Base Initial Equipment: Base (Sprint)

Oddball

Crazy King

Juggernaut
Juggernaut Primary Weapon: Gravity Hammer
Juggernaut Weapon Pickup: Disabled
Juggernaut Movement Speed: 1.5

Headhunter
Score to Win: 10

The Arena [4v4 players, max. party size 4]:

Team Slayer

Team Slayer Pro
Loadout Palette: Slayer Pro

Classic Slayer
Base Equipment: Sprint/Evade

Invasion [6v6 players, Spartans v Elites, max. party size 6]:

Invasion
Phase Time Limit: 3 minutes
Map: Boneyard
Number of Phases: 3
Loadout Palette: Invasion

Invasion Slayer
Round Time Limit: 15 minutes
Map: Boneyard
Score to Win: 75
Loadout Palette: Invasion

Network Test 1/"Generator Defense" [3v3 players, Spartans v Elites, max. party size 3]:

Round Time Limit: 5 Minutes
Map: Overlook
Game Mode: Generator Defense

"This is a test of the Halo: Reach multiplayer netcode under stressed conditions. Expect a few hiccups ..."

So have they said how many games you need to play a day/ how many days you need to play to get a Arena rating? I doubt im going to play the Arena once Invasion hits so ill try and reach the numbers before the 7th.

Am I dense or am I right in thinking we wont get to try Overlook till Network Test 1 is released?

GhaleonEB

bobs99 ... said:
So have they said how many games you need to play a day/ how many days you need to play to get a Arena rating? I doubt im going to play the Arena once Invasion hits so ill try and reach the numbers before the 7th.

Am I dense or am I right in thinking we wont get to try Overlook till Network Test 1 is released?
Three games in a day to get a rating, three days to get placed in a Division.

And correct, Overlook and Boneyard go live with the Invasion and Network Test 1 playlists.

chess

bobs99 ... said:

I think they say it's best 3 games in a day (so min 3) for 5 days min in a season to get an official rating.

Not dense, only swordbase and powerhouse until 5/7 when boneyard is added with Invasion. Then overlook is only for NT1 starting on 5/14

GhaleonEB said:
Three games in a day to get a rating, three days to get placed in a Division.

And correct, Overlook and Boneyard go live with the Invasion and Network Test 1 playlists.

Thanks, I hope this doesnt put people 'off' the beta. Personallyit gives me a chance to try out each map and mode methodologically but I predict a lot of whining from people who dont know about this when they first play the beta and just want to play more maps.

Meh, haters gonna hate for any reason.

Thanks for the Arena breakdown aswell. Im going to try and get my fill of the Arena and get a nice rating before Invasion comes out. I imagine Luke will be in Onyx and I really want to play and dethrone him. :D

Also thanks Chess! 3-5 days is fine by me, I guess this will get confirmed in the BWU or something.

urk, if you're around, can you confirm if all beta playlists except the Arena are "social" (i.e. allow split-screening guests, or parties larger than the team size)? I'd like to know if I can get eleven friends into an Invasion game with me.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Looks like the Arena is where I'll be spending the majority of my time with the beta.

Grab Bag looks OK except for 3 Plots, Oddball and Stockpile. I foresee alot of vetos there. Or rather, a lack of votes. :lol

Absinthe

greenthumb.jpg

Ugh, if they could only put zoom on the left trigger and grenades on left bumper this config would be perfect. I don't know why Bungie can't give us a controller config that mimics MW for those of us who like to play both. Constantly I go back to Halo 3 only to be learning the controls over again for a few matches.

I loved turn based assault games in halo2, but they also require maps that compliment the game type, something Halo3 wasn't as well suited for. And I liked how the bomb didn't arm until after a certain amount of time as opposed to arming immediately in Halo3.

I find it odd that they would remove that whole game type to be honest. Neutral flag is the only thing I can think of that Bungie has ever removed. Assault had a pretty big following of fans; I would think more so than games like VIP, 3 Plots, and rocket race. Maybe it will be in the final version of the game, with other maps not quite ready for the beta.

EDIT:
GhaleonEB said:
It's in the game, just not the Beta.
NM lol

akmcbroom said:
http://www.bungie.net/images/News/Inline10/042310/greenthumb.jpg

Ugh, if they could only put zoom on the left trigger and grenades on left bumper this config would be perfect. I don't know why Bungie can't give us a controller config that mimics MW for those of us who like to play both. Constantly I go back to Halo 3 only to be learning the controls over again for a few matches.

Use the 'Spartan' config in MW2, that would solve your problem. Or the Tactical layout which is more awesome.

Gui, no doubt anyone streaming the game would close the stream at the full time whistle :lol

IZZO

Neo Member
Dani said:
<3 Tashi x2

--

Right, going to throw this out again today.

Anyone wanting to hook up with other GAFers during the Beta, use this Gamertag. Via the Friends of Friends and Active Roaster, come Beta time you shouldn't have a problem finding folks to hook up and frag with.

The first GT is now filled so please stop sending requests - send them to the new GT .

Add GT: HALOGAFBETA2

(that's all caps!)

Thought it might be a good idea to start filling it up early. If or when it reaches the max friend limit, we'll have another ready.

If you are already on the first GT, refrain from joining the second to allow more folks to hook up.

Feel free to use it. =)

Added
GT: TheStrayWolf

DodgerSan

The Lamonster said:
Wow, those playlists are making me salivate!

Can't wait. This beta will be one LONG download on Monday.

I know. I wish we could download it over the weekend, and then they could just activate it Monday.

bobs99 said:
Thanks for the Arena breakdown aswell. Im going to try and get my fill of the Arena and get a nice rating before Invasion comes out. I imagine Luke will be in Onyx and I really want to play and dethrone him
Depends what percentage of the population gets slotted into Onyx. If it truly is a "MLB" / fkn Roger Clemens distinction, nobody from Bungie is getting anywhere close. Luke might be slotted into Onyx after the first three days because of his familiarity with the mechanics, but by the end of the beta, he'll have been sent back down to the farm system. Luke is solid, a big fish playing in a little pond with guys who play with their noses. He's not Onyx, though, unless Onyx is much less exclusive than we've been led to believe.

FourDoor

Just watching some of the 1up vids now and noticed how the flag is now swung more of like an actual weapon (like a sword) as opposed to just trying to club someone with the bottom of the flag in the previous games. Was it mentioned if the flags now have a larger hit range/radius than that of H3?

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29105

Matty McDee

Neo Member
FourDoor said:
Just watching some of the 1up vids now and noticed how the flag is now swung more of like an actual weapon (like a sword) as opposed to just trying to club someone with the bottom of the flag in the previous games. Was it mentioned if the flags now have a larger hit range/radius than that of H3?

http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29105
Yeah I noticed that.

Anyone notice the people trying to get Melee lunges? It seems reduced. Which is pretty gewd.

kylej

Banned
Classic Slayer

Base Equipment: Sprint/Evade

"Arena is designed to foster ultra competitive matches focused on skill, individual performance, and personal bragging rights. If you don’t have a single competitive bone in your body, you should probably steer clear. Most of the players in this list will be looking to break those bones and then beat you over the head with ‘em."

:lol :lol :lol

feel

Nice stuff. I hope Grab Bag is heavily populated, and all the randoms don't just gravitate to Arena just because it's 100% slayer. I plan on avoiding Arena for the most part, super competitive douchebaggery is not my thing..

kylej said:
"Arena is designed to foster ultra competitive matches focused on skill, individual performance, and personal bragging rights. If you don’t have a single competitive bone in your body, you should probably steer clear. Most of the players in this list will be looking to break those bones and then beat you over the head with ‘em."

:lol :lol :lol
You haven't even squeezed the trigger on the AR yet, there's a retooled magnum as secondary, the maps are loaded with DMRs, and you can vote for something different.

Jesus Christ.

Veelk

Banned
Dani said:
<3 Tashi x2

--

Right, going to throw this out again today.

Anyone wanting to hook up with other GAFers during the Beta, use this Gamertag. Via the Friends of Friends and Active Roaster, come Beta time you shouldn't have a problem finding folks to hook up and frag with.

The first GT is now filled so please stop sending requests - send them to the new GT .

Add GT: HALOGAFBETA2

(that's all caps!)

Thought it might be a good idea to start filling it up early. If or when it reaches the max friend limit, we'll have another ready.

If you are already on the first GT, refrain from joining the second to allow more folks to hook up.

Feel free to use it. =)
I apologize for my complete noobishness here, but how does this work exactly? Because I'm a friend of HALOGAFBETA2, I'm automatically friends with everyone else who is HALOGAFBETA2's friend? Do I join a party or what?

kylej

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
You haven't even squeezed the trigger on the AR yet.

I don't need to eat dog shit to know it tastes bad. Magnum is a poor man's DMR and hunting for a better weapon than the AR at every respawn is something I got tired of 3+ years ago. AR Slayer should be in BK Land not Arena.

JaggedSac

Are all 3 of those Arena game types in one playlist, or can you choose between them? And do they each have a different "seasonal" rating?

Syracuse022 said:
Depends what percentage of the population gets slotted into Onyx. If it truly is a "MLB" / fkn Roger Clemens distinction, nobody from Bungie is getting anywhere close. Luke might be slotted into Onyx after the first three days because of his familiarity with the mechanics, but by the end of the beta, he'll have been sent back down to the farm system. Luke is solid, a big fish playing in a little pond with guys who play with their noses. He's not Onyx, though, unless Onyx is much less exclusive than we've been led to believe.

Bit harsh!?? :lol

What is Luke's rank in Halo 3? To be fair ive played with a fairly high Bungie guy before so I know for sure some of them are pretty good. Competing against them in the beta will be fairly
super
awesome. I do agree though that depending on the exclusiveness of Onyx, reaching it may be pretty damn impossible once the vast majority of people play. I doubt it will be MLB exclusive as im sure they want non MLG pro players to be able to achieve Onyx though.

p.s. The smiley at the end of my post was to indicate the jokeyness. It was lost in your quote :(

Wizman23

Banned
kylej said:
I don't need to eat dog shit to know it tastes bad. Magnum is a poor man's DMR and hunting for a better weapon than the AR at every respawn is something I got tired of 3+ years ago. AR Slayer should be in BK Land not Arena.

cry moar

LukeSmith

Onyx is a small slice of the population. I'm the king of my high school basketball team, but it seems pretty unlikely that I'll even play JUCO.

So many 50s in H3 got carried there by teammates - or brought down by teammates - so there's no real analog to looking at someone's ranking from a previous game. I expect a lot of Steel from GAF, a few Golds and even fewer Onyx. It will be pretty dependent on how many people end up going into the Arena.

Also keep in mind, that over time - season over season - it will theoretically become harder to reach Onyx because of attrition, (Steels may drop out), moving the player population down - i.e. a Season 1 Onyx may be a Season 3 Gold or lower just on account of population migration.

I was the 8th best player in the Internal Beta and tops at Bungie, but like I said, I won't be playing JUCO ball.

Matty McDee

Neo Member
kylej said:
I think you will like the Magnum much better than the DMR.

LukeSmith said:
Onyx is a small slice of the population. I'm the king of my high school basketball team, but it seems pretty unlikely that I'll even play JUCO.

So many 50s in H3 got carried there by teammates - or brought down by teammates - so there's no real analog to looking at someone's ranking from a previous game. I expect a lot of Steel from GAF, a few Golds and even fewer Onyx. It will be pretty dependent on how many people end up going into the Arena.

Also keep in mind, that over time - season over season - it will theoretically become harder to reach Onyx because of attrition, (Steels may drop out), moving the player population down - i.e. a Season 1 Onyx may be a Season 3 Gold or lower just on account of population migration.

I was the 8th best player in the entire Internal Beta and tops at Bungie, but like I said, I won't be playing JUCO ball.

Sounds like the higher ratings are going to be hard to reach. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear! I wonder what Onyx rating would be if it were transfered over to H2. That to me would be much more interesting to see than H3

Top Bottom