• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Kapura said:
We're talking about arena, not FFA.
Either way, you still get to vote for the gametype.

I imagine the higher in rank you go in the Arena, less and less people are going to be voting for Classic Slayer anyway and Slayer Pro will light up like Christmas every game. If Luke says all the higher-end players here will be spread out among the upper ranks of Halo Reach, that Slayer Pro curve might come sooner than you'd think.

Halo 3's playlists feel like opening up a neapolitan ice cream bar and hoping the strawberry part isn't bigger than the vanilla and chocolate parts. I think the new voting system will solve some of these problems because everybody gets to decide how much vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry we'll be eating.

I fuckin hate strawberry ice cream.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Kuroyume said:
Assualt is better than KOTH or Oddball any fucking day. It doesn't matter of it's the Halo 3 shitty version of it too. Damn you Bungie.

KOTH is pretty great though, it is my just want to have fun gametype.

Lazslo

Wow, I can't believe I spent this much time on Twitter trying to gett a code. Just realized I rather I rather play Halo 3 then sit on Twitter and answer questions.

Pennybags

Letters said:
shieeeeeeet

what happens if you download it?

You can't.

Ssparks said:
Wow, I can't believe I spent this much time on Twitter trying to get a code. Just realized I rather I rather play Halo 3 then sit on Twitter and answer questions.

I just did the easy ones like the GiantBomb quest and the email giveaways.

Ten-Song said:
Have to agree with this. New ad makes it seem like the birth of a Spartan is boring and uneventful...

Agreed, this short version put nothing into context, the average viewer will have NO idea why the guys getting operated on, the relevance of the operation to the suit and what the picture of his parents meant to him. Will they even make the connection that its a picture of his parents?

You dont just sit in a operating table to become a Spartan 3, they really should have tried to capture the intensity of the training program with the operating table being at the end of the ad.

Dani said:
<3 Tashi x2

--

Right, going to throw this out again today.

Anyone wanting to hook up with other GAFers during the Beta, use this Gamertag. Via the Friends of Friends and Active Roaster, come Beta time you shouldn't have a problem finding folks to hook up and frag with.

The first GT is now filled so please stop sending requests - send them to the new GT .

Add GT: HALOGAFBETA2

(that's all caps!)

Thought it might be a good idea to start filling it up early. If or when it reaches the max friend limit, we'll have another ready.

If you are already on the first GT, refrain from joining the second to allow more folks to hook up.

Feel free to use it. =)

added, looking forward to playing with you guys... not played many online games with gaffers yet

GT: Ninja Moomin

kylej

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Should probably wait until the Beta starts to go there. Just watch the masses vote for Slayer Classic and drive you mad in the process.

Sai-kun said:
If it didn't exist, they probably wouldn't offer it. But since you say there's no market for it, you don't even need to worry about it, because it'll never get voted for, right?

Collectively the Halo population is so stupid that I have no doubt AR Arena starts will be, like, half the games I play. My brain will start to ooze out of my ears by the end of the beta.

Gui_PT

Are you guys really going to watch a stream of the Beta?

That'll ruin all the fun. Stay away from that crap.

Wait 'til monday and experience it the way it's supposed to be.

Pussies

feel

Ah I see, it's not the standalone Reach beta like the F&F people are getting, just the ODST dlc item. Would still need the option inside ODST to launch it, and that won't go live before the 3rd.

Lunchbox

Banned
LukeSmith said:
Onyx is a small slice of the population. I'm the king of my high school basketball team, but it seems pretty unlikely that I'll even play JUCO.

So many 50s in H3 got carried there by teammates - or brought down by teammates - so there's no real analog to looking at someone's ranking from a previous game. I expect a lot of Steel from GAF, a few Golds and even fewer Onyx. It will be pretty dependent on how many people end up going into the Arena.

Also keep in mind, that over time - season over season - it will theoretically become harder to reach Onyx because of attrition, (Steels may drop out), moving the player population down - i.e. a Season 1 Onyx may be a Season 3 Gold or lower just on account of population migration.

I was the 8th best player in the Internal Beta and tops at Bungie, but like I said, I won't be playing JUCO ball.

ill boost your account to an onyx for a f&f code

Voltron64

Domino Theory said:
must. download. keep. trying. won't. work.
i6dq2r.jpg

Kapura

Banned
kylej said:
Collectively the Halo population is so stupid that I have no doubt AR Arena starts will be, like, half the games I play. My brain will start to ooze out of my ears by the end of the beta.
Just do what Luke did in the Invasion commentary and crossmap with the pistol. "They may take our [scoped rifle], but they'll never take our [scoped sidearm]!"

FourDoor

Hmmmm I'm kinda mixed about the live action ad. I get that the Spartan IIIs are supposed to be young and all but I don't know.

What I do like is the lifesized Spartan suit in the commercial. :D

Matty McDee

Neo Member
FourDoor said:
Hmmmm I'm kinda mixed about the live action ad. I get that the Spartan IIIs are supposed to be young and all but I don't know.

What I do like is the lifesized Spartan suit in the commercial. :D
I smell Ebay charity auction!

GhaleonEB

I like the ad in concept, but not execution. It's similar to the "We Are ODST" ad, in that it's showing how a member of Noble Team is made. But its like they lay him down, some needles hit, and he's a Spartan. No training, nothing. Obviously they're limited in the 60-second spot, and the extended ad could feature more. But I can see the same concept executed in similar fashion to the ODST spot, but include shots of the injections, bone augmentation, brutal training, etc, climaxing with landing that suit of armor. The ending shot is perfect, but with nothing with any impact before it, no sense of a journey or sacrifice, it lacks resonance.

The ODST spot was awesome because the training was brutal, but the combat even more so. And we got a glimpse of the hero's journey from newbie to grizzled veteran. Here I'm not sure what the story is. Guy gets injections, becomes a Spartan? Meh.

LukeSmith

Lunchbox said:
ill boost your account to an onyx for a f&f code

We've gone over this before, your avatar becomes the exclusive property of me for one calendar year from the beginning of the F&F. Otherwise, you can just watch the streams and stuff that will be showing up and wait till Monday!

peyton_manning.jpg

FrankT

LukeSmith said:
We've gone over this before, your avatar becomes the exclusive property of me for one calendar year from the beginning of the F&F. Otherwise, you can just watch the streams and stuff that will be showing up and wait till Monday!

I'm in. Same goes for Frankie. Hook up the poor plebeians yo.

S1kkZ

GhaleonEB said:
The ODST spot was awesome because the training was brutal, but the combat even more so. And we got a glimpse of the hero's journey from newbie to grizzled veteran. Here I'm not sure what the story is. Guy gets injections, becomes a Spartan? Meh.
i agree with everything you said. the spot was bad.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
LukeSmith said:

peyton_manning.jpg

*Ponders the avatars Luke could come up with*

kylej

Banned
LukeSmith said:

Kiss the rings.

patriots_superbowl_ring2.jpg

JohnIIVII

LukeSmith said:

peyton_manning.jpg
I'm game!! :D Pass me a F&F code and you can make my avatar whatever you want :lol
edit: "just for lunchbox" :'(

LukeSmith said:
It's really just for Lunchbox because of his particular brand of filth.
But he's not even a FilthyLunchbox!

Ugh May 3 seems so far. I blame giantbomb for teasing me with the thought that their codes might actually be obtainable, then having like 3,000 people enter :(

Seriously, I keep watching all these live action trailers for Halo games, and with each one I watch, it makes me think that in the right hands, a Halo movie would just be one of the best sci-fi flicks of all time.

I want my fucking Halo movie.

LukeSmith said:
It's really just for Lunchbox because of his particular brand of Brady-filth.

Didn't you have a Michigan avatar, ya know I'm from Michigan State soooo....

unless it was because you lost another bet or something

Trasher is gonna hate me

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
LukeSmith said:
It's really just for Lunchbox because of his particular brand of Brady-filth.

:lol I like the term Brady-filth. Being a Jet fan have to put up with him 2 times a season. It is awful but I love to hate the guy. :D

Top Bottom