• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Beta Thread

Ten-Song

Major Williams said:
I am aware of this, but this kid doesn't look fully grown to me. Does he to you? Compared to Carter in gameplay, he looks much smaller.

Well... maybe he's just getting a preview of it or something? Eh, screw it, not like I want to defend the ad anyways as it's boring. Yeah, it's dumb, and the kid they feature doesn't really look like he's enough of a badass to be a Spartan anyways..

Gui_PT

Not a Jellyfish said:
He has balls for not changing his avatar. Real sports fans do what he is doing, I wouldn't change my avatar to a Brady avatar for it, especially for a year.

Man I *wink* would to anything to my avatar *wink* *wink* if that meant i'd get a F&F *WINK*

you know what the winks meant

Btw, just kidding Lunchbox, no offense

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Major Williams said:
I am aware of this, but this kid doesn't look fully grown to me. Does he to you? Compared to Carter in gameplay, he looks much smaller.

You're looking at a kind of condensed shorthand of the process, for what that's worth. It's also very important to remember that this is in essence a gentle teaser of the actual campaign. Since it builds to a climax, it has to start somewhere.

Also, Carter is looking at a prototype suit being customized (and researched) for him, not his final SPI armor which he won't get for years.

At no point in the commercial do you see a "full-grown" Carter.

I think as it builds, the Campaign will start to please hardcore fans more and more.

Major Williams said:
Agreed. No matter how they spin it though, the young Spartan seeing his current Reach armor that he's wearing 15 years later as an adult is something that marketing clearly missed.

Looking forward to the 2 minute ad run, but either way, it seems him seeing his armor that early is just plain ridiculous to me and should have probably been fleshed out the way you described - him 'earning' his armor as an adult, or even modifying it later in life (i.e. like you do in Multiplayer). I'm sure Frankie will come on here and make us feel dumb for thinking like this, but in my head the way it is now, I just don't see this as plausible the way they showed it.

The photo of his parents holds NO weight to anyone except those who've read the books and know that the S-III program was for orphans; some explanation was necessary, or just cut it out. And having him start the augmentation process himself? Seems unlikely given the amount of scientists and personnel that were responsible for the training of the S-III candidates. I could see it being spinned and excused though. S-IIIs were trained to take orders, and I saw no one giving orders.

:lol They should have GAF critique all ads/PR before it makes the final cut.

The number of times a Bungie guy has done that to me here is incredible. :lol

As for the armour, I dont think the marketing team missed it, they probably knew how wrong it was, but did it anyway for dramatic effect. It would have been cooler if he looked at an unmodified version of it through the glass and we saw him modifying it over the years between cool fight scenes.

The more I think about it the less I think it can be done well in such a short timeframe. :(

Missed Frankies post - that makes more sense.
He did it again :lol

dslgunstar said:
Not at all. I'm just looking for people to play with on Thursday. :(

*slinks away into corner with head down*

How did you get your code out of interest?

Ten-Song

OuterWorldVoice said:
You're looking at a kind of condensed shorthand of the process, for what that's worth. It's also very important to remember that this is in essence a gentle teaser of the actual campaign. Since it builds to a climax, it has to start somewhere.

Also, Carter is looking at a prototype suit being customized (and researched) for him, not his final SPI armor which he won't get for years.

I think as it builds, the Campaign will start to please hardcore fans more and more.

Oh yeah? Well... a video featuring a Spartan II still would have been way cooler. Spartan III's are chumps.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
OuterWorldVoice said:

See, you turned around my perception of the short from slightly disappointed yo excited (to see the rest of the campaign).

Can't wait.

Would be fantastic if it was a short montage movie, a few minutes long, unfolding over the next few months.

Ten-Song said:
Well... maybe he's just getting a preview of it or something? Eh, screw it, not like I want to defend the ad anyways as it's boring. Yeah, it's dumb, and the kid they feature doesn't really look like he's enough of a badass to be a Spartan anyways..
:lol Nah I see the point you're making, and it's plausible. Sounds like we need some
230px-McMillan_as_Harkonnen.jpg
for clarification on their thought processes for the ad.

Edit:
OuterWorldVoice said:

Thanks for the clarification. The armor was a bit jolting to me. Can you explain the 'voluntary' augmentation process (part of 'revenge' for parents, becoming a spartan, etc)? Also, how come no physical discomfort was involved? I would have expected more... drama out of the process of augmentation (animal instincts coming out and so forth).

Ten-Song

Dani said:
See, you turned around my perception of the short from slightly disappointed yo excited (to see the rest of the campaign).

Well yeah, if you turn your focus from what IS featured in the video to what is NOT featured in the video, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

Walshicus

OuterWorldVoice said:

Maybe.

Considering how good the Halo 3 and ODST live action ads were I'm happy to take it in faith that the full range of Reach ads will be rewarding to watch. But in isolation I just don't think this first piece works. :s

Dani said:

Can't wait.

Would be fantastic if it was a short montage movie, a few minutes long, unfolding over the next few months.

Im optimistic but cautious. Im hoping they visit why he became a spartan and that showing the picture was just a really crappy attempt at inducing some mystery.

NJ Shlice

Not sure how I feel about the skulls fountaining up in the air and then falling all over the floor. Seems it would slow down the momentum of the game if you have to stare at the floor and collect all the skulls that just fell out of this guys brains when you killed him.

Guys where's the live action video? It aired at full time on sky sports 2 after the Bayern Lyon game. I didn't see it though because the game was over when it was 1-0 and i stopped watching.

GhaleonEB

Random thought: it would be cool to see a medal for winning a Headhunter game while also having the lowest number of kills in the game. Call it Thief, say. You just know we're going to see videos of guys who use Sprint and manage to win a Headhunter game without firing a shot by being a thiefy bastard.

KevinRo

OuterWorldVoice said:

Not even the people in this thread knew that. What does that say about your marketing campaign?

MagniHarvald said:
I've got a couple codes, here's one up for grabs =)

D1DY4-R34LLY-7H1NK-7H15W-45TRU

Lunchbox said:
no wai

downloading now 9%

Mo0 said:
Minor typo in there, here's one that works

YOUPU-7700M-4NYCH-4R4C7-3RS1N

Tashi0106 said:
Oh shit. This code got me 5000MS points. THANKS!

LMAO! :lol :lol :lol

bobs99 ... said:
How did you get your code out of interest?

Website contest. Always go with the smaller fan-sites or the general interest sites. Publishers use them for grass-roots support, but they dont get nearly the number of entries. :D

That is a rather disappointing ad from Bungie. The ODST ad was outstanding while this one was actually boring.

Still downloading the beta come May 3!

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
NJ Shlice said:
Not sure how I feel about the skulls fountaining up in the air and then falling all over the floor. Seems it would slow down the momentum of the game if you have to stare at the floor and collect all the skulls that just fell out of this guys brains when you killed him.

I don't like it too much either but I see why they do it. It sends the skulls out at in all directions making it more of a scramble to gather them. Still, I can see it getting annoying.

Toddler

GhaleonEB said:
Random thought: it would be cool to see a medal for winning a Headhunter game while also having the lowest number of kills in the game. Call it Thief, say. You just know we're going to see videos of guys who use Sprint and manage to win a Headhunter game without firing a shot by being a thiefy bastard.
shawn100_2773Small.jpg

Apath

NJ Shlice said:
I feel like it's a little too early for something like that. Mid-summer is a good time for a huge epic commercial.
Not saying the one just aired is the final commercial, but Halo 3's was a montage of a battle field that resembles nothing in Halo 3, with a marine survivor saying how the chief saved then. It was a very nicely shot commercial, and captured a very beautiful mood thanks to Chopin's Prelude No. 15. It just basically had absolutely nothing to do with the game so it did nothing for my hype of it.

I'm just hoping Reach's campaign doesn't follow suit.

MrDaravon

Quick question: on the Beta Guide it says it's 3 minutes per phase in Invasion; I thought it was 4? Also Headhunter is listed in FFA as only going to 10, I thought it was going to be 25?

Also as an aside, is it confirmed that the Plasma Rifle and Carbine are gone? Realized yesterday that I hadn't heard anything about those at all, although it makes sense they wouldn't be returning.

Chinner said:
The Halo 2 advert was amazing, and still is!
Halo 2's was perfect for the time.

Halo 3's was absolutely perfect for the time. The Starry night ad was EPIC, and still is in my eyes.
Some of the Believe ads were... not awesome, but painted a GREAT picture (that the game ultimately never added up to).
Then Blomkamp's live action shorts I thought were an amazing part of the ad campaign that made you appreciate what amounted to 2 minutes in the intro of the game. Great concept IMO.

ODST's live action ad took the cake for me, and was highly appropriate for the time. It out-did all other gaming ads and made you WANT a movie, and WANT the game.

Reach's ad - not so much. Too much for the non-involved, and not even I or other Halo geeks saw the plausibility of some of the details... and I've read GoO AND FoR 3 times! I'm hopeful for an awesome ad campaign, they've done well, and I trust Frankie at the helm, but so far, its unfortunate. I sincerely hope I bite my tongue.

Gui_PT

SailorDaravon said:
Quick question: on the Beta Guide it says it's 3 minutes per phase in Invasion; I thought it was 4? Also Headhunter is listed in FFA as only going to 10, I thought it was going to be 25?

Also as an aside, is it confirmed that the Plasma Rifle and Carbine are gone? Realized yesterday that I hadn't heard anything about those at all, although it makes sense they wouldn't be returning.

I heard 4 minutes too.

And I believe the Plasma Rifle is in the campaign. Don't know about Carbine

kylej said:
Collectively the Halo population is so stupid that I have no doubt AR Arena starts will be, like, half the games I play. My brain will start to ooze out of my ears by the end of the beta.
So wait, you're suggesting there is an audience for AR starts? Be consistent, man.
SailorDaravon said:
Plasma Rifle is in Campaign, where it's the default weapon for Elites. The Plasma Repeater is a beefed-up version for multiplayer. Carbine is axed, effectively replaced by Needler Rifle.

advent29

Neo Member
Possibly old and probably stupid, but...has Amazon always shown the release date for Halo: Reach as September 1st? I didn't notice it when they first put up the listings for the 3 editions, I wasn't exactly looking for a date either.

GhaleonEB

SailorDaravon said:
Quick question: on the Beta Guide it says it's 3 minutes per phase in Invasion; I thought it was 4?
It's four.

Also Headhunter is listed in FFA as only going to 10, I thought it was going to be 25?
Until a player scores a total of 25 skulls, or until someone scores 10 at once.

The Plasma Rifle is used in Campaign (the Plasma Repeater replaced it in MP only), and the Needle Rifle replaced the Carbine.

MrDaravon

urk said:
We make the games, not the commercials.

2ithq41.jpg

GhaleonEB said:
It's four.

Until a player scores a total of 25 skulls, or until someone scores 10 at once.

That's what I thought. Man, I don't know who wrote the Beta Guide that's up on Bungie.net, but that kind of wrong information really urks me.

rac

Banned
I thought I could be all cool saying to myself "I don't need a code, ssf4 will keep my interest until may 3rd". But when I saw those codes go up I was scrambling to xbox.com to redeem them. Halo is now my addiction.

urk said:
We make the games, not the commercials.
I like how urk immediately disassociates Bungie from anything other than making games. I sure hope Amazon don't look to honour one of their top models any time soon :p Oh what's this? Now Bungie do fashion too??? haha

Top Bottom