• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

-Yeti said:
I just think Engineers are annoying in Firefight.. that's all. Engineers are cool and all, but in Firefight, they give me fits.

PS. Tell me if spoiler tagging is appropriate or not for this discussion. :p
I don't think spoiler tagging that is necessary. As Engineers don't seem to be a part of the story in Reach, as they were with ODST.

I guess I just think Engineers are enemies that add some extra challenge to Firefight. Seeing a group of shielded brutes/grunts spawning in a new set makes you immediately look to the skies for the Engineer powering their shields.

I remember Sai, a few of his friends, and I playing ODST Firefight a few weeks back. We'd be calling out Engineers left and right and taking turns popping them with the plasma pistols while others mopped up the newly unshielded masses, twas magical.

Doodis

Cuban Legend said:
I don't think spoiler tagging that is necessary. As Engineers don't seem to be a part of the story in Reach, as they were with ODST.

I guess I just think Engineers are enemies that add some extra challenge to Firefight. Seeing a group of shielded brutes/grunts spawning in a new set makes you immediately look to the skies for the Engineer powering their shields.

I remember Sai, a few of his friends, and I playing ODST Firefight a few weeks back. We'd be calling out Engineers left and right and taking turns popping them with the plasma pistols while others mopped up the newly unshielded masses, twas magical.
What would be even cooler, is if the firefight settings allowed you to have engineers supporting the spartans.

ei9t7q.jpg

Note: don't key his car.

FourDoor

The doc turned from hot a DOA Volleyball model from Legends to a granny that can't even be considered a cougar anymore. :(

5jy785.jpg

And how is it that she knows about the S-III's so early on in the game? We need some explanation here...

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
FourDoor said:
The doc turned from hot a DOA Volleyball model from Legends to a granny that can't even be considered a cougar anymore. :(

http://i34.tinypic.com/5jy785.jpg[img]

[B]And how is it that she knows about the S-III's so early on in the game? We need some explanation here...[/B][/QUOTE]

Sigh...

Just forget everything you know from the books. Everything. It doesn't look like it has any bearing what-so-ever.

Olivero said:
Anyone else notice the texture pop on the B+ on George's collar when he is introduced?
Yeah, I did on my proper (not youtube 360p) watch. Made me furrow my brow.

Haters gonna hate re: Halsey.
If you were inappropriately treating 100+ young boys and girls you'd age like that too.

FourDoor

LAUGHTREY said:
Sigh...

Just forget everything you know from the books. Everything. It doesn't look like it has any bearing what-so-ever.

Has this been stated as true? I thought all of the previous Halo games followed the books so it's a surprise to me
to hear that Reach jumps ship and totally disregards Ghosts of the Onyx.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
FourDoor said:
And how is it that she knows about the S-III's so early on in the game? We need some explanation here...

Who says that's set early in the game?

FourDoor said:
As someone who's raised the same objection earlier in the threaded:
a) that narration isn't guaranteed to be in the game
b) she's probably looking back at the events on Reach
c) as someone said earlier: the continuity between games, comics, books and videos is lax. I'd spontaneously go with that one and wouldn't care but I'm pretty sure it was emphasized at some point that they're trying to keep continuity under tight control across various media?

As for the corny voiceover, I just watched the desperate measures vidoc and as much as I usually love Fillion's acting, the voiceover was pretty embarassing too.

edit: well, this settles that I guess :D

Still, that Covie Firefight level sure echoes "The Truth and Reconciliation" from CE.. Shield Door, 2 Story Interior Levels, Drop Ships, Purple and all.

So if that's what was supposed to make me wet my pants, then today was a success.

Havok

Xblog said:
in the firefight mode, i would know which covenant are presents ? (Brutes ? elites ? ....)
All types except drones are present.

Edit: beaten, should have reloaded the page before posting :p

ElRenoRaven

urk said:
Who says that's set early in the game?

Thank you Urk. It's sad that anyone even has to say that. We have no clue when that scene is in the game. Also as mentioned she found the files on the Spartan 3's on Reach if I remember correctly. Hence it's not that hard to believe that maybe she might know about them at some point.

Also I don't know why there is so much hate for the dialog. I think it's fine. Maybe that's why I'm easy to please. I've honestly never really hated any dialog in the Halo games. The only one that ever made me laugh was the Halo 1 Cortana line that everyone loves.

Apath

So please tell me I'm not the only one who found both the live action and the A Spartan Will Rise trailers laughably corny and bad? The latter having a lot of cool footage, but the way it was formed into a trailer makes this game look awful. :lol

Firefight footage looked great on the other hand.

Nutter

Trailer was good, new firefight map looks good, but ill echo what others have said.. This does nothing to my pants. :lol

Ramirez

Kenak said:
So please tell me I'm not the only one who found both the live action and the A Spartan Will Rise trailers laughably corny and bad? The latter having a lot of cool footage, but the way it was formed into a trailer makes this game look awful. :lol

So bad that I went and canceled my preorder. :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

szaromir

Banned
FourDoor said:
Apparently that's the part they changed in Fall of Reach that 343 talked about about a few months ago.

Kenak said:
Firefight footage looked great on the other hand.
If you're talking about the 1up Firefight footage, I thought it was awful. Off-screen, noisy, really bad play, and apparently on Easy or Normal.

Apath

Shake Appeal said:
If you're talking about the 1up Firefight footage, I thought it was awful. Off-screen, noisy, really bad play, and apparently on Easy or Normal.
I don't think the quality of footage was great, but the level reveal and the action on screen looked awesome.

GhaleonEB

Kenak said:
I don't think the quality of footage was great, but the level reveal and the action on screen looked awesome.
I kind of dig the idea of Wraiths being dropped off in close quarters. And the doors behind the catwalks with the shield doors as an alternate entrance to the map, to break up the flow of the game (which is, on a map that small, stay on the outside and pound the kill zone). Nothing like a few pair of Hunters marching in from behind to cause mass panic.

derFeef

Shake Appeal said:
The video was great, I liked what I see. I don´t care if the player is good or they get a good score. Sure, a good player makes a game look better, but I could not care less if they play on easy or whatever.

Striker

derFeef said:
The video was great, I liked what I see. I don´t care if the player is good or they get a good score. Sure, a good player makes a game look better, but I could not care less if they play on easy or whatever.
I rather a video is shown off to showcase the map and what it will bring to the table rather than if the player is capable of taking down three Elites with a Pistol. I mean, I saw off-screen footage, and the guy was clearly bad. That hinders the experience more than anything else, really.

Deadly

szaromir said:
Apparently that's the part they changed in Fall of Reach that 343 talked about about a few months ago.
But she found out about them in First Strike not Fall of Reach. Also who's this
Auntie Dot
people keep mentioning?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think at this point I've had just about enough info on the game. Except for maybe Theater 2.0, I could use some info on that. But otherwise, I just want it to come out already. How many more sleeps do we have left Ghaleon? :D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Finally watched the vidoc again,

Halsey says that line "You finally made your choice, well I guess great minds think alike." That is from when Cortana picked Chief out of the book right?

Good trailer.

EazyB

Banned
ODST came out a year ago and only has 1/10 of the amount of people playing the 3 year old Halo 3. No matter how much they improve Firefight the vast majority of people will look to traditional MP maps for a source of variety and longevity. If Bungie's really only going to launch with 9 MP venues and 6 Firefight venues then they're really out of touch here.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
FourDoor said:
Has this been stated as true? I thought all of the previous Halo games followed the books so it's a surprise to me
to hear that Reach jumps ship and totally disregards Ghosts of the Onyx.
The previous Halos have not even mentioned anything that happened in the books, Major Silva, Unyielding Hirophant and as far as I know in the books leading up to Halo 2 there were multiple Spartans left, fighting on earth, with knowledge that the Covenant knew where earth was. They gave Master Chief a medal for his actions on Halo, but not for destroying a Covenant fleet on it's way to Earth? Halo 2, 3 and ODST have made no mention of them. There has been no mention of Red/Blue team defending Castle on Reach, besides the fact that this team was never mentioned even in passing in any of the books.

Halo: The Flood which was supposed to be basically a novelization of Halo CE is totally different than CE.

Sai-kun

Banned
EazyB said:
ODST came out a year ago and only has 1/10 of the amount of people playing the 3 year old Halo 3. No matter how much they improve Firefight the vast majority of people will look to traditional MP maps for a source of variety and longevity. If Bungie's really only going to launch with 9 MP venues and 6 Firefight venues then they're really out of touch here.

But ODST also has the problem of

Not being Halo 3 (aka disc switching)
No firefight
Not much replay value or point in playing after you get your achievements.

I think it'll do a lot better for itself in Reach

aesop

EazyB said:
The difference is that Firefight 2.0 has matchmaking. I love me some firefight but hardly play it because not many of the people on my friends list have ODST.

Top Bottom