• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

EazyB said:
ODST came out a year ago and only has 1/10 of the amount of people playing the 3 year old Halo 3. No matter how much they improve Firefight the vast majority of people will look to traditional MP maps for a source of variety and longevity. If Bungie's really only going to launch with 9 MP venues and 6 Firefight venues then they're really out of touch here.
Thats kind of a messed up comparison since ODST's multiplayer was Halo 3's multiplayer, and Firefight was extremely limited. I agree with your main point though - most of the audience will be in multiplayer versus.

If only Bungie could integrate Forge levels into matchmaking (ranked and social) ala Little Big Planet these worries would mostly go away. The fact that Bungie will select certain Forge levels means that it won't take off to the extent that it could.

GhaleonEB

Sai-kun said:
But ODST also has the problem of

Not being Halo 3 (aka disc switching)
No firefight
Not much replay value or point in playing after you get your achievements.

I think it'll do a lot better for itself in Reach
Aye, it's a poor argument to look to how successful Firefight was in ODST and extrapolate that to Reach when it's well established that the lack of matchmaking was a major factor in limiting the appeal of the mode. That was a topic of discussion from the word go with that game. Full matchmaking support, custom game options and gametype sharing will extend Firefight significantly. I'd wager MP will still be king, but Firefight will have some serious legs this time around. At the least, the Firefight playlist will be up as long as Reach is playable online. We'll see how well it holds up, but I expect pretty good numbers.

And the MP map count is a bit disingenuous.
Hydranockz said:
Daily/Weekly Challenges would like to agree.
Aye, that too.

Falagard

EazyB said:
ODST came out a year ago and only has 1/10 of the amount of people playing the 3 year old Halo 3. No matter how much they improve Firefight the vast majority of people will look to traditional MP maps for a source of variety and longevity. If Bungie's really only going to launch with 9 MP venues and 6 Firefight venues then they're really out of touch here.

They can pull areas out of campaign for the Firefight maps without worrying about balance between teams, so they can basically just grab any interesting section, put up barriers, set up spawn zones and rules for how the drop ships fly in and out, drop off points for wraiths, etc. and voila. I'm oversimplifying of course, but Firefight maps should be easier than multiplayer maps.

GhaleonEB said:
Aye, it's a poor argument to look to how successful Firefight was in ODST and extrapolate that to Reach when it's well established that the lack of matchmaking was a major factor in limiting the appeal of the mode. That was a topic of discussion from the word go with that game. Full matchmaking support, custom game options and gametype sharing will extend Firefight significantly. I'd wager MP will still be king, but Firefight will have some serious legs this time around.

Falagard said:
They can pull areas out of campaign for the Firefight maps without worrying about balance between teams, so they can basically just grab any interesting section, put up barriers, set up spawn zones and rules for how the drop ships fly in and out, drop off points for wraiths, etc. and voila. I'm oversimplifying of course, but Firefight maps should be easier than multiplayer maps.
Yeah, makes total sense.

Designing good, competitive, unique multiplayer spaces is really fucking hard. I'd say most people can count on two hands the maps they truly loved across all multiplayer FPSs, ever.

I'll be happy if three or four of the nine multiplayer maps are really good out of the gate (in Halo 3 we had The Pit, Valhalla, and arguably Construct/Narrows/Guardian; in Halo 2 we were spoilt). I just hope the DLC support is quick, that Forge 2.0 is at least as good as advertised, and that Bungie have some plan for better integrating player-made maps in matchmaking.

EazyB

Banned
NullPointer said:
Thats kind of a messed up comparison since ODST's multiplayer was Halo 3's multiplayer, and Firefight was extremely limited. I agree with your main point though - most of the audience will be in multiplayer versus.

If only Bungie could integrate Forge levels into matchmaking (ranked and social) ala Little Big Planet these worries would mostly go away. The fact that Bungie will select certain Forge levels means that it won't take off to the extent that it could.
I'm not pretended to know there'll be another 1:10 split but it'll be close a few months after the game's out. I don't buy the lack of matchmaking as even with plenty of people to play with many gaffers including myself were done with firefight within the month. Yes, Firefight will be exponentially improved and offer a much more compelling experience, but the MP component will be brand-fucking-new and a supposed vast improvement as well. There will undoubtedly be a portion of the population playing firefight years down the road but to act like it'll even hold a candle to the MP's populace is laughable.

The only thing that could really save Firefight's longevity is the VS component but that doesn't seem all that fleshed out yet so it's a wildcard. It remains to be seen just how visually unique you can make a firefight map using the same palette but when you look at Reflection it's easy to see why forge remakes are only a fraction of what a real remake is let alone a brand new map.

Hydranockz said:
If only they added those to the traditional MP component.

derFeef

Falagard said:
Reminds of the Steam forums where people say they can do Valve´s work in 5 hours - copy paste and so on. Sure. Multiplayer maps are one of the toughter ones to create.

ManCannon

Gutentag

We did debut "Corvette" today at Gamescom pre-show that MSFT threw for press. A lot of media did grab some off-camera footage but as you noted, the players themselves were a hodge podge of media with drastically different skill levels.

Yup it does feature an Engineer. It's the smallest, most intense and frantic Firefight map there is. Definitely one of my personal favorites, certainly for versus games. This marks map #6 to be revealed but we dont plan to show anything else from Firefight before launch if we can help it (they are tied to campaign areas we'd rather not show you before release :D )

While killing time this morning Luke and I created a pretty intense Sniperattack variant - Adjusted all load-outs to include Sniper/Magnum with various AAs, weapon damage at 200%, unlimited ammo. Then we edited every wave to only drop Heretic Elite Snipers. These are crazy Elites that wield human Snipers and DMRs. We then proceeded to have epic sniper battles against two dozen or so lethally precise and incredibly agile Elites. At one point I nailed three regular Elites with a single over-penetrating sniper shot. Courtyard proved to be too challenging with the tight quarters and number of enemies but Overlook was perfecft - sniping fast running Elites charging across the bridge was awesome.

At Gamescom this week we'll have all six revealed FF maps avaiablel for hands-on and then we'll be demoing a campaign mission behind closed doors. Expect to see more FF footage but I don't believe media are allowed to film the campaign demo (granted someone will anyways I'm sure).

I guess this means PAX will be the place to reveal some remaining competitive MP maps - one of which Luke states is the "best map in the entire game." :D

If any gaffers are in Cologne this week, stop by the booth and say hi!

GhaleonEB

Cuban Legend said:
Daily Challenges pertaining to Firefight and Firefight VS? I'm game for some replayability. Can anyone confirm this?
Bungie will be able to apply them to a specific mode ("kill 200 Grunts in Firefight") or make them flexible ("kill 200 Grunts" - Firefight or Campaign). Not sure how they'll balance them; IIRC, there will be five daily Challenges and one weekly one each week.

ManCannon said:
Guten Tag

We did debut "Corvette" today at Gamescom pre-show that MSFT threw for press. A lot of media did grab some off-camera footage but as you noted, the players themselves were a hodge podge of media with drastically different skill levels.

Yup it does feature an Engineer. It's the smallest, most intense and frantic Firefight map there is. Definitely one of my personal favorites, certainly for versus games. This marks map #6 to be revealed but we dont plan to show anything else from Firefight before launch if we can help it (they are tied to campaign areas we'd rather not show you before release :D )

While killing time this morning Luke and I created a pretty intense Sniperattack variant - Adjusted all load-outs to include Sniper/Magnum with various AAs, weapon damage at 200%, unlimited ammo. Then we edited every wave to only drop Heretic Elite Snipers. These are crazy Elites that wield human Snipers and DMRs. We then proceeded to have epic sniper battles against two dozen or so lethally precise and incredibly agile Elites. At one point I nailed three regular Elites with a single over-penetrating sniper shot. Courtyard proved to be too challenging with the tight quarters and number of enemies but Overlook was perfecft - sniping fast running Elites charging across the bridge was awesome.

At Gamescom this week we'll have all six revealed FF maps avaiablel for hands-on and then we'll be demoing a campaign mission behind closed doors. Expect to see more FF footage but I don't believe media are allowed to film the campaign demo (granted someone will anyways I'm sure).

I guess this means PAX will be the place to reveal some remaining competitive MP maps - one of which Luke states is the "best map in the entire game." :D

Zeouterlimits, Darkflight and me will coming thursday. Will we get some exclusive walkthrough? :p

EazyB

Banned
ManCannon said:
Well the current popular opinion is that there are only two maps left to reveal. So "some" would be the remaining two shipping MP maps?

Gametype sounds great BTW.

ManCannon said:
Gutentag

Good day indeed. Any footage of said sniper variant? :p I'll leave you to share a bratwurst with urk (or was it luke that went?) now.

EazyB said:
I'm not pretended to know there'll be another 1:10 split but it'll be close a few months after the game's out. I don't buy the lack of matchmaking as even with plenty of people to play with many gaffers including myself were done with firefight within the month. Yes, Firefight will be exponentially improved and offer a much more compelling experience, but the MP component will be brand-fucking-new and a supposed vast improvement as well. There will undoubtedly be a portion of the population playing firefight years down the road but to act like it'll even hold a candle to the MP's populace is laughable.

The only thing that could really save Firefight's longevity is the VS component but that doesn't seem all that fleshed out yet so it's a wildcard. It remains to be seen just how visually unique you can make a firefight map using the same palette but when you look at Reflection it's easy to see why forge remakes are only a fraction of what a real remake is let alone a brand new map.

It's pretty hard to say exactly how it will work out. Matchmaking, no disc switching, and the huge customisation options, not to mention weekly challenges will make Firefight pretty compelling. And let's not forget the option to do quick games now. In ODST you had to play for 15 minutes just before the game started to get interesting.

On the other hand, multiplayer has the amazing Reach netcode. I'm not aware of any improvements that the campaign netcode has undergone since the beta (at least, at the moment), but the nature of it means more players will have problems in Firefight than regular multiplayer.

I don't think Firefight VS will be that popular. With reasonably competent players, I just can't see matches lasting very long at all, turning games in to effectively 1-sided Team Slayer with a low score limit.

Personally, I also found Firefight was ruined by certain skulls, such as Black Eye. Other skulls such as Catch can be quite unfriendly to newer players as well, potentially leading them to abandon it out of frustration.

Dirtbag

EazyB said:

:lol

its 9 maps and 6 more forge variations that will directly appear in matchmaking on day 1.
Those forge maps are also the kind with no textures that get in the way of grenade bounces and are as close to pixel perfect remakes as they need to be for all the MLG gameplay-first complainers (most of which are proven winners: blood gultch, lockout, ascension, sanctuary). The island and the cage are completely new play-spaces that both look really interesting to me.
Yes there will be some palette fatigue, but you must admit that these forge pieces combined with the wide range of locales in Forgeworld will assure these maps to feel different enough, and the overall aesthetic is in a whole other league from Sandbox / Foundry.

Eazy, its you that's out of touch. You are putting aesthetics over gameplay

ManCannon said:
Gutentag

Thanks for stopping by Sketch. SniperAttack sounds amazing, my buddy who is a sniper whore will love that. Hopefully it'll get thrown into the matchmaking hopper.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Photolysis said:
It's pretty hard to say exactly how it will work out. Matchmaking, no disc switching, and the huge customisation options, not to mention weekly challenges will make Firefight pretty compelling. And let's not forget the option to do quick games now. In ODST you had to play for 15 minutes just before the game started to get interesting.

On the other hand, multiplayer has the amazing Reach netcode. I'm not aware of any improvements that the campaign netcode has undergone since the beta (at least, at the moment), but the nature of it means more players will have problems in Firefight than regular multiplayer.

I don't think Firefight VS will be that popular. With reasonably competent players, I just can't see matches lasting very long at all, turning games in to effectively 1-sided Team Slayer with a low score limit.

Personally, I also found Firefight was ruined by certain skulls, such as Black Eye. Other skulls such as Catch can be quite unfriendly to newer players as well, potentially leading them to abandon it out of frustration.

You've obviously never played Left 4 Dead Versus. The only downside to Firefight Vs. is the player count being capped at 4. Other than that, the game looks awesome. Can't wait to find out more about Auntie Dot (such an awful name) since she was the AI at the end (look at the icon in the upper left - same as her icon for voice selection).

Kibbles

ManCannon said:

... =\

Are we ever going to see actual Campaign Gameplay?

Wiggum2007

ManCannon said:

Was this one of the campaign missions from early in the game that has been shown to the press before, or something new?

Can't wait to see some more MP maps!

ManCannon

Shake Appeal said:
sketch, where's my press copy?? urk hasn't replied to me, can only presume he is laden down with work/diapers.

Nobody at Bungie even has a retail copy of the final game yet. Traditionally we're the last people on the planet to get our hands on it - I expect this time will be no different. Review events actually start next week but will be under embargo until a few days prior to launch. I can save you the trouble of waiting and give you this score: So Awesome out of Awesome, A Must Buy.

ManCannon said:
At Gamescom this week we'll have all six revealed FF maps avaiablel for hands-on and then we'll be demoing a campaign mission behind closed doors.

\o/ Just finished packing now, flight in the morning.
All aboard the hype train!

ManCannon

Wiggum2007 said:
Was this one of the campaign missions from early in the game that has been shown to the press before, or something new?

Can't wait to see some more MP maps!

Oops that's right I forgot, we're showing two different campaign sections.

We're doing campaign demos behind closed doors of one of the missions from the recent preview visit, "Tip of the Spear", and then once a day I'll be doing a short demo on stage in the booth of the opening cinematic and first mission of the game. (the caveat for the booth demo is that due to hardcore ratings boards in Germany, the demo can't contain ANY shooting :lol ) It was amusing hearing the German version of Noble Team today.

Lakitu

st5fu
ManCannon said:

We're doing campaign demos behind closed doors of one of the missions from the recent preview visit, "Tip of the Spear", and then once a day I'll be doing a short demo on stage in the booth of the opening cinematic and first mission of the game. (the caveat for the booth demo is that due to hardcore ratings boards in Germany, the demo can't contain ANY shooting :lol ) It was amusing hearing the German version of Noble Team today.

Oh so we will be getting campaign footage? Or does the no camera rule apply for both?

Wiggum2007

Shake Appeal said:
Whaaaaat? It's a great name. I like the irreverence, just as I liked the Super in ODST.

Yeah I love the Auntie Dot name, I wonder if it's going to be a 'smart' AI a la Cortana or something along the lines of the Superintendent.

derFeef

ManCannon said:

Oh god, I fear the German dub. It´s just so horrible, in every single Halo game.

edit: thx, Hyper ;)

zethren

Banned
ManCannon said:
I can save you the trouble of waiting and give you this score: So Awesome out of Awesome, A Must Buy.

That's good enough for me :)

As if I wasn't going to be standing in line at midnight for my Legendary edition anyway...lol

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
ManCannon said:

So there's more Firefight maps and MP maps to come on top of all this stuff so far?

See, Urk's pants warning was indeed apt. :D

Here's to hoping for an Edge 10!

Wiggum2007

ManCannon said:

We're doing campaign demos behind closed doors of one of the missions from the recent preview visit, "Tip of the Spear", and then once a day I'll be doing a short demo on stage in the booth of the opening cinematic and first mission of the game.

Glad to hear it's the earlier levels we've heard a bit about before, I wouldn't be able to control myself from looking at spoilers if it was a late game level, heh.

ManCannon said:
(the caveat for the booth demo is that due to hardcore ratings boards in Germany, the demo can't contain ANY shooting :lol ) It was amusing hearing the German version of Noble Team today.

:lol That should be interesting.

ManCannon said:
Nobody at Bungie even has a retail copy of the final game yet. Traditionally we're the last people on the planet to get our hands on it - I expect this time will be no different. Review events actually start next week but will be under embargo until a few days prior to launch. I can save you the trouble of waiting and give you this score: So Awesome out of Awesome, A Must Buy.
With that kind of review, of course I'm buying!

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
ManCannon said:

Does this mean it's possible to melee your way through the first mission? :lol

zethren

Banned
ManCannon said:
(the caveat for the booth demo is that due to hardcore ratings boards in Germany, the demo can't contain ANY shooting :lol )

You could replace the gunfire with rainbows, and say that Noble Team is there to keep watch while the Covenant lay down to take naps. :)

Dirtbag

I guess this means PAX will be the place to reveal some remaining competitive MP maps - one of which Luke states is the "best map in the entire game."

Sweet. 4 vs 4 no doubt.
I have full faith in Luke's map taste.

Also as an aside, Countdown sounds like a map either based on that beach level leading off into space, or has that final conflict - last level setting ring to it. If its the latter, I hope they dont show it pre-release

ManCannon said:
(the caveat for the booth demo is that due to hardcore ratings boards in Germany, the demo can't contain ANY shooting :lol )
Ah, unless it was an age-gated presentation, I get it. Sillyness indeed.

Hypertrooper said:
We need to clarify the time. :p
Indeed. I'll be lining up on Thursday for the 10am opening so why not then? My plan is to head to the Reach booth straight away on any day I attend, for maximum fun.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
ManCannon said:
Gutentag

I will be at PAX, Gaf I will provide coverage via Youtube. :D

ManCannon, you should bring some Reach and ODST shirts to PAX, I really want one. :D

Zeouterlimits said:
Ah, unless it was an age-gated presentation, I get it. Sillyness indeed.

Indeed. I'll be lining up on Thursday for the 10am opening so why not then? My plan is to head to the Reach booth straight away on any day I attend, for maximum fun.
I thinks its okay.

Arnie

Dani said:
So there's more Firefight maps and MP maps to come on top of all this stuff so far?

See, Urk's pants warning was indeed apt. :D

Here's to hoping for an Edge 10!
I don't want to count my chickens too soon, it may well turn out that there are indeed only 9 MP maps. Got to curb those expectations before they take over me.

EazyB

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Eazy, its you that's out of touch. You are putting aesthetics over gameplay
If you read the Forge reveal thread you'd know that it doesn't concern me nearly as much as a whole lot of other gaffers have expressed. I love the forerunner aesthetics and will wait to see what different light orbs, filters, and round-about object placement can do for giving a map a fresh feel. But, I'm not most players and as with many on GAF, I can see lots of people getting tired of the forge world aesthetics. It is no question that Reflection looks to be on a whole other level than the forge remakes so I understand their disappointment. I'm also of the persuasion that a aesthetically pleasing environment can lead to a more enjoyable experience gameplay aside. Personally I'd be more excited for remakes in general if I knew they played just as well as the originals but with jetpacks and shit flying around it's really a toss-up.

I am presuming Luke's favourite map is either Boardwalk or Countdown. Truth is, urk was very quick to pipe up when we jumped the gun on the number of Firefight maps, but no one from Bungie has said a word in response to all the 'only 8 maps + Forge World' posts.

Wiggum2007

Arnie said:
I don't want to count my chickens too soon, it may well turn out that there are indeed only 9 MP maps. Got to curb those expectations before they take over me.

But there's at least 5 maps from the Forge World palette at launch. Yeah they'll have the same aesthetics but they'll play as differently from each other as any other maps.

EazyB

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
I am presuming Luke's favourite map is either Boardwalk or Countdown. Truth is, urk was very quick to pipe up when we jumped the gun on the number of Firefight maps, but no one from Bungie has said a word in response to all the 'only 8 maps + Forge World' posts.
Yeah, that's the argument I made when Urk mentioned that there were more FF maps on the way. I still hold onto the slight possibility that they're so proud of how many maps they've fit into the game that they're just keeping silent to blow us away at a later date.

Top Bottom