• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach & Bungie at GamesCom 2010

The Wise Old Man said:
Sweet fancy moses, now we're all in a tither over campaign matchmaking? Something we already 99.99% knew existed back when the beta came out? For christsakes, this is worse than the frenetic excitement that errupted here yesterday when video footage emerged of a grunt hopping over a wall. I'm telling you loopy bastards, you're setting the bar way too low for this game...
The grunt hopping over the wall was from some dudes playing Halo 3.

Chill out, gramps.

Mik2121

Someone requested me an Skirmisher yesterday via PM, so I'm posting this here.

Fg4S3.png

Based on this Concept Art by Bungie.

I hope you guys don't get tired of me posting one of these every few pages.

(If I ever start an actual comic, I will definitely have a lot of templates to work with :p)

Monocle

Thagomizer said:
Nice.

Also noticed the bacon rifle has a heat distortion effect when fired now. Looks painful.
Yeah, the crackling plasma emitted by the sides of the rifle make it look absolutely lethal. Very cool effect, I must say.

Mik2121 said:
Someone requested me an Skirmisher yesterday via PM, so I'm posting this here.

Fg4S3.png

Based on this Concept Art by Bungie.

I hope you guys don't get tired of me posting one of these every few pages.

(If I ever start an actual comic, I will definitely have a lot of templates to work with :p)
Wonderful. If you don't mind me saying so, he looks like someone just stole his morning cup of coffee. :lol I love your work.

Popeck

Monocle said:
Yeah, the crackling plasma emitted by the sides of the rifle make it look absolutely lethal. Very cool effect, I must say.

Would you go so far as to say even... hyper lethal? Anyways, the Firefight footage looks crazy, especially when the elites come in rocking with fuel rods and concussion rifles. And was there a skirmisher trying to jump to one of those higher levels in Bungie's official Corvette video? Reminds me of the first vidoc's jumping sequence, looks a bit goofy.

wwm0nkey

Halo: Reach doesnt support 3D, its just the TV doing it. Brain confirmed it in an interview. That or maybe the 360 has a patch for the system?

derFeef

wwm0nkey said:
Halo: Reach doesnt support 3D, its just the TV doing it. Brain confirmed it in an interview. That or maybe the 360 has a patch for the system?
Well, he said in his twit "...so much for 360 can´t do 3D"

wwm0nkey

derFeef said:
Well, he said in his twit "...so much for 360 can´t do 3D"
Whats his twitter?

Also by that I am assuming its the 360 doing it then. If so maybe they are doing the trick Crysis 2 is using for all the games?

Sai-kun said:
Just in case you all have forgotten already, the music in this game is amazing.
What little I've heard so far has been fantastic. Too bad the OST doesn't come packaged in the Legendary Edition. I wonder if there's any chance of getting the soundtrack before the game comes out?

That Skirmisher is awesome Mik. It looks like he's had about 12 cups of coffee. :lol

Lunchbox

Banned
derFeef said:
Twittered by a german xbox rep.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gaf/a448775f.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gaf/dd29ea34.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

keep that garbage away from halo and far away from my 360

motion controller is bad enough, dont need that 3d shit as well. thank you

Cynar

Lunchbox said:

well said, I hate it for movies and I don't want it in my games. :D

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
All of the campaign MM haters here disappoint me.

This is an absolutely essential feature that I'm disappointed took them 4 games to finally implement. Even with GAF (most of which prefers multiplayer to any other mode) it is exceptionally hard to be able to get a co-op game going on short notice with no planning. As long as drop-in/drop-out is supported, this is a godsend. Having played a fair amount of Left 4 Dead co-op campaign online, I can assure GAF that not everyone on XBL is an asshole. Also, I find that those who gravitate towards compaign aren't usually hyper-competitive jerks like those in MLG or TS.

Kibbles said:
Theater mode matchmaking!

This. Not such a joke really I would really really really love to be able to just watch randomized Halo games and or even a programmed channel of some sort. I seriously can't play all day my hands start to become two balls of fire these days but sometimes I just wanna kickback open a cold one and watch some donging. JustinTV does a good job of substituting this but I'd love to do it from my Xbox in 720p (or whatever Halo is) on my big screen.

HaloTV - Make it happen Bungie.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yeah I saw the 3D stuff yesterday at the MS party, though it wasn't on. As far as I can tell it's a 2d->3d conversion done by the TV.

Corvette video is awesome, except for one part where a skirmisher tries to make a jump, fails, trys again then just stands there waiting to be killed. I hope there aren't many AI glitches like that, they really ruin large swaths of Halo 2's campaign.

Lunchbox said:

speak for yourself. i have a 60' 3D TV, and I would love to play Reach on it.

derFeef

Lunchbox said:

It was new to me and I have not seen it mentioned, sorry.

The Corvette footage Bungie released was great. Looks like a really intense map to play on.

metareferential said:
Halo 3/ODST was like that when playing with far-away players.

But for Reach, no-one has yet put his hands on the final netcode.

And the beta was already better than ODST from what I can remember.

I'm told that there have been significant of improvements to the netcode since the beta (which was already excellent), though at the moment I can't claim to know the scope or nature of the changes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Hmm, I watched one of those corvette videos and it seemed the Medic bubble may be balanced in that if you're inside of it when it gets destroyed by fire you insta die.

Of course, that could have been a death from the explosions dropping it too.

Magni

Well, just got back to my hotel room, didn't spend much time at the Messe, but I did get to play some Firefight on Overlook, which was a beast as I told Luke :D I also got to toy around with the Onza and with some WM7 games, my top three most anticipated things of the fall in a three hour time-span :D

Gonna go back for (much) more Firefight tomorrow, hopefully I won't miss the HaloGAF crew this time =)

MagniHarvald said:
Well, just got back to my hotel room, didn't spend much time at the Messe, but I did get to play some Firefight on Overlook, which was a beast as I told Luke :D I also got to toy around with the Onza and with some WM7 games, my top three most anticipated things of the fall in a three hour time-span :D

Gonna go back for (much) more Firefight tomorrow, hopefully I won't miss the HaloGAF crew this time =)

Sounds like a good time. :)

Mik2121

xxjuicesxx said:
This. Not such a joke really I would really really really love to be able to just watch randomized Halo games and or even a programmed channel of some sort. I seriously can't play all day my hands start to become two balls of fire these days but sometimes I just wanna kickback open a cold one and watch some donging. JustinTV does a good job of substituting this but I'd love to do it from my Xbox in 720p (or whatever Halo is) on my big screen.

HaloTV - Make it happen Bungie.
HaloTV to watch Arena and certain weekend playlists could be interesting :D

Wizman23

Banned
LunaticPuma said:
All of the campaign MM haters here disappoint me.

This is an absolutely essential feature that I'm disappointed took them 4 games to finally implement. Even with GAF (most of which prefers multiplayer to any other mode) it is exceptionally hard to be able to get a co-op game going on short notice with no planning. As long as drop-in/drop-out is supported, this is a godsend. Having played a fair amount of Left 4 Dead co-op campaign online, I can assure GAF that not everyone on XBL is an asshole. Also, I find that those who gravitate towards compaign aren't usually hyper-competitive jerks like those in MLG or TS.

Pretty sure its confirmed if someone drops you are kicked back to the lobby like in 3 and ODST. I think the question was asked awhile back and responded to by a Bungie employee just in regards to co-op with friends. I don't think people are hating on it either, just think in the grand scheme of things its not really necessary.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Wizman23 said:
Pretty sure its confirmed if someone drops you are kicked back to the lobby like in 3 and ODST. I think the question was asked awhile back and responded to by a Bungie employee just in regards to co-op with friends. I don't think people are hating on it either, just think in the grand scheme of things its not really necessary.

I'll wait for official word on drop-in/out as to whether or not to be disappointed or excited. We're also talking about video games here, in the grand scheme of things how necessary is anything? If we take that attitude, let's just drop Forge and Theater too. We should also cut back on the number of gametypes since they're mostly unnecessary. /sarcasm

GhaleonEB

Wizman23 said:
I'd wager that Bungie considered the ability for players to drop without killing the game a requisite for matchmaking. In the Beta players could drop (or be dropped) from NT1, which was Firefight/Campaign net code, without the game ending for everyone else.
urk said:
Confermd.
Groovtacular.

Olivero

Three things about the Corvette video.
1) It's really strange to see a UNSC weapons locker on board a convenant vessel.
2) Skirmishers are freaking fast.
3) There's a cool shot of Reach after's been glasses when the player is killed by an elite.

chess

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have stated games will not end when dropping out in Firefight(and campaign) like in ODST but there is NO drop in.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
chess said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have stated games will not end when dropping out in Firefight(and campaign) like in ODST but there is NO drop in.

Confermd.

Gui_PT

MagniHarvald said:
Oh it was :D Getting a Killtastrophy my first time picking up the Hammer of Dawn was pretty awesome as well :lol

Cool, man. Have fun!

Be sure to give everyone from Bungie a Gaf Hug =P

Tashi, absorbing the brunt of the modders attack on Halo 3 since going MLG :p

Drop out confirmed will be a very pleasant addition to Reach. Especially now that there is MM. No chance of getting 95% through a campaign/firefight level only to have a random quit out :p

Top Bottom