• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach @ ComicCon + Press Conference/Panel

Kapura

Banned
Dax01 said:
Being able to beat down Flood made them a lot more enjoyable to fight.
Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Kapura said:
So it'd be like the best three way fights from Halo campaigns, but without a story.

So it'd be most of the levels of Halo 3.
Boom!

Except for the fact the 3 way battles in 3 were practically non-existent. And the tiny morsel that was there was crap.

Dax01 said:
Being able to beat down Flood made them a lot more enjoyable to fight.
I agree actually, the Flood got more fun as the games went buy.

big ander

pahamrick said:
Man, seeing the pic of the statue being held almost makes me regret going for the limited instead of the legendary.
I start to think that everytime I see the statue or the Legendary packaging, but then I think: where the hell could I put that statue and giant crate? Limited is perfect for me.

zumphry

Banned
big ander said:
You'd think fans of a game called Halo would know more about how circles work.

Motherfucking circles, how do they work?

Too bad it isn't as hot here as it was a few weeks ago, would be a good alibi for freezing myself instead of just "BECAUSE FORGE. SHUT UP. WAKE ME UP AT 7!1!!!!111!".

pahamrick

big ander said:
I start to think that everytime I see the statue or the Legendary packaging, but then I think: where the hell could I put that statue and giant crate? Limited is perfect for me.

That was pretty much my reasoning for just going for the limited. Well, that and the fact the only extras were a flaming effect and a statue (Where the hell is the behind the scenes DVD Bungie?!) I splurged for the Halo 3 Legendary solely for the extra disc of content (when it was still being touted as having the H1/H2 cinematics remastered in HD.) Now the helmet sits in the box in a closet.

Kapura said:

Dax is right here,

In each Halo game they've made the fun more and more interesting to fight. In CE shotgun and AR were the only really effective weapons against the flood, and no meleeing them was just frustrating. The pistol didn't damage much, but it could disarm them, though the shotty did that just as well.

In halo 2, you could "Headshot" flood now.

In 3 a wider variety of weapons were introduced, you could now Melee flood, and infection forms could revive flood that wasn't thoroughly destroyed. Pure forms were resistant to BR/Carbine fire, so you had to keep your midrange weapon balanced with an AR or PR that could drop them at range. The end result was really satisfying to fight IMO, and something I'd love to see in firefight.

Halo 3 flood would have been perfect sans FUCKING SPINY SHOOTING FLOOD WHO COULD ROT IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY FOR ALL I CARE. FUCK SPINY SHOOTING FLOOD.

FourDoor

Sorry. I don't know how real circles work. All the circles I encountered ended up in pieces by the time I was starting to figure them out. :D

BTW: Stan Lee is not a circle. Shiska on the other hand... :lol

electricpirate said:
FUCKING SPINY SHOOTING FLOOD WHO COULD ROT IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY FOR ALL I CARE. FUCK SPINY SHOOTING FLOOD.
Worst part of Halo 3 hands down. Those fuckers also killed off any hope of me finishing a solo legendary run. Its not that they were impossible to defeat - but they were just incredibly boring to fight. Cortana was such a pretty level to have it ruined by littering it with damage soaking snipers clinging to walls.

THOSE guys are worse than drones.

Kapura

Banned
FourDoor said:
Sorry. I don't know how real circles work. All the circles I encountered ended up in pieces by the time I was starting to figure them out. :D

BTW: Stan Lee is not a circle. Shiska on the other hand... :lol
Who's shiska?

big ander

NullPointer said:
Worst part of Halo 3 hands down. Those fuckers also killed off any hope of me finishing a solo legendary run. Its not that they were impossible to defeat - but they were just incredibly boring to fight. Underground Nose Gunk Passageway was such a pretty level to have it ruined by littering it with damage soaking snipers clinging to walls.

Soooo pretty. :p
But really, it was an exciting and creepy level. And the turrets did make it a lot worse.

What I discovered on my legendary playthrough, is that the turret fuckers are weak against Plasma rifle fire. That happened when I ran out of ammo on every other gun, and it made the level much more enjoyable.

Bungie in general does a really good job of training players into concepts like that, IE, the shield flares against elites, or the way the shotgun appears in Halo:CE right when you meet with the flood. But having plasma be the super anti flood weapon makes so little sense based on the previous 2 games, and there's no training for it. Actually, i found that the way H3 trained the player was lacking in a lot of ways, equipment wasn't well trained, brutes armor mechanic wasn't well trained.

JesseZao

Halo 2 maps? YES PLZ

I played thousands of games on Halo 2 maps and I miss 'em. I want all of them, but could live without Backwash, Coag (since BG is in), Gemini, or Desolation. My most wanted (that weren't already remade in H3 would be Ivory Tower, Colossus, Burial Mounds, and SANCTUARY. The rest I would really enjoy playing through as well, but I'm not getting my hopes up for a "Halo Complete" map collection.

(If I keep editing this I'll end up listing the rest of the H2 maps, so I'll quit now)

electricpirate said:
Halo 3 flood would have been perfect sans FUCKING SPINY SHOOTING FLOOD WHO COULD ROT IN HELL FOR ALL ETERNITY FOR ALL I CARE. FUCK SPINY SHOOTING FLOOD.

I haven't played Halo 3 single player since launch. Remind me which kind of flood this was

zumphry

Banned
electricpirate said:
What I discovered on my legendary playthrough, is that the turret fuckers are weak against Plasma rifle fire. That happened when I ran out of ammo on every other gun, and it made the level much more enjoyable.

Bungie in general does a really good job of training players into concepts like that, IE, the shield flares against elites, or the way the shotgun appears in Halo:CE right when you meet with the flood. But having plasma be the super anti flood weapon makes so little sense based on the previous 2 games, and there's no training for it. Actually, i found that the way H3 trained the player was lacking in a lot of ways, equipment wasn't well trained, brutes armor mechanic wasn't well trained.

+1 Thumbs Up (Completely Agree)

Though, I just used the Carbine against the Ranged Forms (more like Raged Forms, am i rite?). To me it seemed I could just use a Battle Rifle and Carbine most of the time against the Flood in Halo 3 and be just fine.

NullPointer said:
Worst part of Halo 3 hands down. Those fuckers also killed off any hope of me finishing a solo legendary run. Its not that they were impossible to defeat - but they were just incredibly boring to fight. Cortana was such a pretty level to have it ruined by littering it with damage soaking snipers clinging to walls.

The Needler is your bestest buddy when it comes to those unholy fucks. They make a very satisfying noise when exploding in a pink mist, too. Between the PR and the Needler, you should be able to get your Legendary run completed.

GhaleonEB

squidhands said:
The Needler is your bestest buddy when it comes to those unholy fucks. They make a very satisfying noise when exploding in a pink mist, too. Between the PR and the Needler, you should be able to get your Legendary run completed.
Brute Shot, too. The Cortana level has them scattered all over the place; a couple shots on Legendary takes them down. There are ample tools to take the turret forms down, you just need to know what and where they are.

RE: controller. Nice design, though I'm not paying an additional $10 for a nice design.

EazyB

Banned
-Yeti said:
Looks pretty cool, but I'm still not sure I'll buy it.

I have to get the Legendary edition after all.
I'mma spend a $70 premium for a statue but putting a $10 on a controller is where I draw the line.

Not buying either.

Thanks for all the advice on taking those turrets down - unfortunately I traded in my copy of Halo 3 towards Crackdown 2, so thats just going to stay a missing achievement for me.

But I'm all in for Reach. Its the only game I'm hyped for this year.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I just thought of something that would be awesome with the Hologram.

I wonder if you can stick it.

Imagine spawning your Hologram and sending it into a clump of camping enemies stuck at the back with one of your plasmas. Imagine the stunned look on their faces! :lol

Spasm

Alienshogun said:
I just thought of something that would be awesome with the Hologram.

I wonder if you can stick it.

Imagine spawning your Hologram and sending it into a clump of camping enemies stuck at the back with one of your plasmas. Imagine the stunned look on their faces! :lol
Are they 'hard light' holograms?

nvsao4.jpg

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Spasm said:
Are they 'hard light' holograms?

nvsao4.jpg

Nice red dwarf reference! :lol

I'm just thinking since the plasma itself isn't a damaging blow the hologram may be able to be stuck since it seems (from what we have been shown) when it's "damaged" it "poofs."

Probably just wishful thinking.

Alienshogun said:

Believe.

So is NeoGAF's tagline from those ads or is it a coincidence.

FrankT

Exclusive: Microsoft to release $400 Halo: Reach Xbox 360

By Ben Kuchera | Last updated 7 minutes ago

Looks like Microsoft is going to offer yet another flavor of its 360 hardware soon, as we've just got word from our ever-accurate Mole that there will be a Halo: Reach version of the newly slimmed-down Xbox 360. This hardware will be silver, not black, and feature Halo: Reach graphics.

The system will come with a copy of Halo: Reach, two wireless Halo controllers, and the 250GB hard drive. Microsoft should be making this official very soon—we hear later today—so you shouldn't have to wait long for the official images.

The price for this box of awesome? $399.99, and it will be a limited-time deal.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...rosoft-to-release-400-halo-reach-xbox-360.ars

Surprise......perhaps thread worthy, but yea.

Likely to match right up with the controller above. But yea Ars a bit late on this call this time around.

EazyB said:
I'mma spend a $70 premium for a statue but putting a $10 on a controller is where I draw the line.

Not buying either.

Nah, the $10 isn't what gets me, it's the fact that I would have to buy the controller on top of the Legendary edition.

I think I'm only gonna go with Legendary.

Top Bottom