• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach Live Action Ad

Eccocid

Havent had much experience with any Halo game(only played HAlo 2 but never finished), but for me ODST live action trailer was great, i kept watching it again and again due to emotion, transistion and music. This one looks technically great but lacks any feeling.

JB1981

Holy shit that was amazing. What the hell was the budget on the ad? Why hasn't Hollywood made a live-action movie yet? This looked amazing!!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I must have watched it more than a dozen times - man, I love Halo trailers. Fucking brilliant, hype is off the charts.

So many things that I love about this trailer: the detail on the armor and Elites just like the game itself, the shield & health bar as well as the radar exactly like the game, even showing the damage, Kat goes down, despair on her face, leading to her state as we know her as now, Noble Six coming in like a badass saying "I got this" without saying a single word, jetpack fires up, music kicks in, right into the belly of the beast, taking everyone with him, solo.

Gives me goosebumps every time I get to the part where he turns his back and the music kicks in - I loved the feel of the ODST live trailer, but the goosebump moments like when Chief's plasma grenade is shown, and he looks up with the flare in his visor and the moment I mention above are what get me the most.

Again, a Halo movie needs to be done with the people responsible for these trailers. Put your own money together Microsoft, make it happen.

And to think that the Halo Reach marketing train hasn't even hit anywhere near full throttle yet, which it will starting on the 29th - oh boy.

Lazslo

JB1981 said:
Holy shit that was amazing. What the hell was the budget on the ad? Why hasn't Hollywood made a live-action movie yet? This looked amazing!!
It really would just be a Money-bomb for Microsoft if they could find a really good producer
Peter Jackson
and a really good director
Neill Blomkamp
to shoot a live-action/CG Movie with a relatively low budget
District 9
, DOH! I know Microsoft and the guys at Bungie/343 did all they could to save the film and in the end it was the studio's fault, but It's just painful thinking of what could have been. I know something will come along one day and it's good that 343 and Frankles will be the people handling it, it's just a shame no one in Hollywood can see the potential in a project like a Halo Film but allow 'Step-up 3D' to exist. Who knows, maybe this live-action Reach stuff will show some big shot Hollywood folk the light. I Believe.

watership

Lazslo said:
It really would just be a Money-bomb for Microsoft if they could find a really good producer
Peter Jackson
and a really good director
Neill Blomkamp
to shoot a live-action/CG Movie with a relatively low budget
District 9
, DOH! I know Microsoft and the guys at Bungie/343 did all they could to save the film and in the end it was the studio's fault, but It's just painful thinking of what could have been. I know something will come along one day and it's good that 343 and Frankles will be the people handling it, it's just a shame no one in Hollywood can see the potential in a project like a Halo Film but allow 'Step-up 3D' to exist. Who knows, maybe this live-action Reach stuff will show some big shot Hollywood folk the light. I Believe.

I like the way you
think

Red

Alienshogun said:
I'm strictly talking the video game iterations and promotions.

As for Chiefs "emotions" they are still very very restrained and robotic. He does not come off as a "living, breathing, feeling, human."
I've been surprised quite a few times by friends saying they hope to someday hear Master Chief's voice. It blows my mind. Have they not played the campaign? If they did, have they skipped every cutscene in the entire series?

Chief has a great personality. The back and forth with Cortana is consistently charming ("No thanks to your driving," etc.). His lines, at least, have always been effective and sensible to me.
FoolsRun said:
The video was very well done. There's very little chance the actual game will have that same kind of emotional impact (Bungie has great ideas for their in-game narrative, but they can't seem to execute them for shit), but as a pre-launch trailer designed to get the hype going, this was excellent.
Typically I'd agree with you, but I watched a stream of the entirety of Reach a few days ago, and I have to say you'll likely be pleasantly surprised.

mm04

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Stunning ad. Loved it.

Was wondering why Kat still had her arm. I assume it's Kat anyway.

It's Kat. Says so in her HUD. I thought it was a great ad, too.

Skilotonn said:
And to think that the Halo Reach marketing train hasn't even hit anywhere near full throttle yet, which it will starting on the 29th - oh boy.

Yup, right now is for the fans which will help spread the word, just when that is at it's crescendo the ads will hit and the game will sell millions.

Lazslo

k0ji-wd said:
Episode 1 of (I think) a 3 part series:

The Day Before The Invasion Of Reach
Are you kidding? Incredible!!!! Well done 343i and whoever else that was involved in these shorts. I honestly enjoyed this more than the Live-Action stuff. This is the first time we have seen non-combat characters involved in a Halo story (could be wrong) and it was incredible. In the future I would love to see more about the People, ordinary citizens in the Halo Universe that had to deal with the occupation and eventual destruction done by the Covenant. I don't what it is, but I instantly cared and was interested in the story of these characters. If 343 needs another route in the future for Halo Stories, this is a direction that would be captivating: The lives of the regular citizens who aren't super badass spartans or ODST's, who are just trying to survive and live when the Covenant are introduced to their way of life. Wowzers that just got me stoked for the next couple years of Halo. There's so much room for stories with just the regular people of Reach or Earth or any other planet in the Halo Universe. It wouldn't be boring or dull either, it could turn into a story for survival and aspects of life humans do to overcome an invasion by another species dead-set on their destruction.

Bravo, Bravo. :D .

OuterWorldVoice said:
Wait till you see the extended version.
34fmsnl.jpg

Littleberu said:
OR MADE THE GAME BETTER, AMIRITE?

BETTER GRAPHIX!

They spend 50 mil to market a game across so many different forms of media and such, and you have movies doing amazing things like District 9 with such a small budget and seeing these commercials. MS could easily fund a Halo movie which would no doubt be huge.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
k0ji-wd said:
Episode 1 of (I think) a 3 part series:

The Day Before The Invasion Of Reach

Now this is awesome. I was never a huge fan of the live action stuff done for the other Halo games. It was all high quality, but never grabbed me.

This grabbed me, and honestly it's the first time time in the series for me when things have been humanized. I just got finally got this feeling about how it's us verses them, and how this whole war is really effects humanity as a whole. It's something I didn't always get in the previous ads or games rolling with just the chief though the squads in ODST tried to do better at this angle.

Top Bottom