• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cetra

metareferential said:
A separate playlist for swat and snipers would mean I'll never run into one of them unless I am looking for it.

I approve.

Word to that. I mean, I like SWAT or Snipers every now and again, but ever damn match almost is a little retarded. :lol

Magni

george_us said:
Just finished it the campaign and I have mixed feelings on it overall.

Positive things:
-Vehicle combat is excellent
-Needle Rifle owns face
-Graphics are pretty good for how huge the game is
-All of the new Covenant weapons are pretty awesome
-Elites are pretty damn awesome
-So are the Skirmishers
-Redesigned Covenant look badass for the most part. Grunts even look pretty ferocious
-I like being able to create my own Spartan
-Some really nice music

Negative things:
-Story isn't very good and tried to cover way too much ground in such a short amount of time
-The characters were boring and had little personality
-Brutes were redundant
-Combat dragged on way too long at times, especially at the end
-On foot combat overall wasn't as compelling this time around although I suspect it may have to do with me being burned out on the Halo formula.
-Framerate was all over the place at times
-Motion blur was flat out terrible
-Soundtrack was really hit or miss with me
-New human weapons weren't all that fun to use

If I had to rank them I'd say ODST > Halo 3 > Halo 1 > Halo: Reach > Halo 2

Campaign-wise?

II CETRA II said:
Word to that. I mean, I like SWAT or Snipers every now and again, but ever damn match almost is a little retarded. :lol

Add Slayer Pro to that list. Bungie added the armor abilities to the game for a reason, and I for one would actually like to experience the evolved Halo gameplay instead of some 'purist' variation.

Slayer and Slayer DMRs would be great in Arena.

Oh, and you know how I talked about those games where sometimes the bullets just feel magnetically attracted to the other guy's face? Just had one of those. :D When this game works, it works REALLY REALLY well.

sruckus

So much for preordering at Newegg. I guess it's not like Apple where you pre-order an iPhone and actually get it that day! Of course, I'm even more pissed because it didn't even come today. If UPS ever made a delivery date they said I think I'd die. Wish it was FedEx :(

As before, the actual Arena Ratings, Daily Ratings, etc. you receive, while a decent indicator of how well you did, cannot be compared like-for-like. It matters who you played against, and whether your Rating in the particular games you played beat theirs.

(In just the same way that running up the scoreboard against a weak team in any sport is less impressive than the same score put up against a top professional squad.)

P.S. Arena Doubles is awesomely stressful, but I notice I have different Daily Ratings for this and regular Team Arena. Do I get different divisional placements for each too (i.e. can I be silver in one and gold in the other)?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Shake Appeal said:
As before, the actual Arena Ratings, Daily Ratings, etc. you receive, while a decent indicator of how well you did, cannot be compared like-for-like. It matters who you played against, and whether your Rating in the particular games you played beat theirs.

(In just the same way that running up the scoreboard against a weak team in any sport is less impressive than the same score put up against a top professional squad.)

P.S. Arena Doubles is awesomely stressful, but I notice I have different Daily Ratings for this and regular Team Arena. Do I get different divisional placements for each too (i.e. can I be silver in one and gold in the other)?

I'm sticking to Team Arena, especially since I don't have anyone to run with.

My B.net service record isn't updating when I change my armor. I bought things at..probably 9PM last night, and it's still showing my old one :\

Smokey

Is the max score in Arena 1700 or 1800?

I had a horrible first game in Arena, but I bounced back in my next 3 bringing my score to 1680 for the day.

Kapura

Banned
My service record isn't even displaying my armour. I'm sure this is one of them secondary features Bungie took offline be cause they haet us.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Ok this betrayal thing needs fixed. My team mates keep jumping on the grenades I throw.

Smokey said:
Is the max score in Arena 1700 or 1800?

I had a horrible first game in Arena, but I bounced back in my next 3 bringing my score to 1680 for the day.

Somewhere between 1700 and 1800 I think, but it's purely theoretical. You'd have to score every kill yourself and not die once.

And good god man, if you're ever looking for a challenge, feel free to shoot me an invite and carry my 1500s ass through some matches :p

Striker

You can't have a simple Snipers, SWAT, or Classic playlist anymore. Why branch all these playlists up again, and make it awful like Halo 3's set-up? There's already enough and an ample amount of playlists. If anything, they could add a Doubles playlist in Competitive, but even that isn't necessarily needed.

While playing MP with friends on Live today and last night, some impressions regarding some random maps, gametypes, or playlist decisions:

BTB:
- I'll start with Boneyard, so it has the most problems. Why is Boneyard setup for both CTF and Slayer/SWAT/Snipers so awful? Both places are out in the open, and for Slayer variants, it breaks the game and a team can easily lock down the red team (that spawns on the steps; yes, the defensive structure for red team is steps). The starting spawns really need swapped to someplace else, because it's really bad so far. I've been on both ends of this. SWAT isn't something that really belongs in BTB - really dislike that decision.

I would personally love more times of Multi-CTF, Neutral Bomb, Multi-Bomb, and so on come up more. These seem like they come up less than games like SWAT and Headhunter.

Team Objective:
- Oddball is a great gametype, I love it. But, one thing... REMOVE THE DROP SHIELD. It's a simple game of walk around with your teammates, two or three players using drop shield, and the ball carrier just sits inside, awaiting some poor soul to walk in and be smacked down immediately. Completely broken. Armor lock really doesn't belong, neither. I don't recall these misses in the beta. For instance, in KotH (which I haven't seen at all), they just had Camo, Sprint, and Jetpack (add Hologram for those who enjoy using it). It makes the most sense for simple abilities like those to be in objectives like KotH and Oddball. Not bubble shields which slow down the gameplay.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I gotta learn these maps. My buddy and I got wrecked on the cage today in Doubles Arena. We made a come back but it wasn't enough. Those guys knew the maps really well. I did get a triple kill though, a sick one too,

GhaleonEB

Striker said:
Team Objective:
- Oddball is a great gametype, I love it. But, one thing... REMOVE THE DROP SHIELD. It's a simple game of walk around with your teammates, two or three players using drop shield, and the ball carrier just sits inside, awaiting some poor soul to walk in and be smacked down immediately. Completely broken. Armor lock really doesn't belong, neither. I don't recall these misses in the beta. For instance, in KotH (which I haven't seen at all), they just had Camo, Sprint, and Jetpack (add Hologram for those who enjoy using it). It makes the most sense for simple abilities like those to be in objectives like KotH and Oddball. Not bubble shields which slow down the gameplay.
Really odd thing is, for KotH and Three-Plots in the Beta, they didn't allow Armor Lock to be one of the Load Out options. It's a natural to keep AA's that enable repeated protection from damage out of games where you need to defend a territory, and I was glad to see that addressed in the Beta. So I'm pretty surprised that the Drop Shield - which is much more egregious in those kind of game types - is included. I hope Armor Lock and Drop Shield are taken out of those game types.

Achronos

Bungie.net armor image uploading is disabled at present. It will be turned back online after some of this initial load drops down a bit.

Ajemsuhgao said:
My B.net service record isn't updating when I change my armor. I bought things at..probably 9PM last night, and it's still showing my old one :\

RdN

MS just said in their TGS conference, Reach made $200 million in day one sales.

"That's more than any game, any movie, or any entertainment experience launched in 2010."

Jinjo

neoism said:
Will some one that has beat the last mission answer this question.
How big is the Lone Wolves mission is it like a big map. Like playing it on easy and exploring killing Covenant?

After beating the game I booted that mission op on easy. Was going pretty good until 20 minutes in or so. Then it really starts getting crazy. Zealot class elites everywhere with only power weapons: swords, plasma cannon etc. The map is not overly huge, it has clear boundaries and you can't "escape". It just keeps going until you die. Your fate is sealed, no matter what you do. Awesome way to go out though.

Does anyone know if there is an extended "Legendary ending" to the game like other Halo's? If so how does it go?

DoctorWho said:
Weird, I just lost connection to Live. My internet is fine though.

Was it right at the end of a game? That happened to me. I had to wait ten seconds and it signed back in fine. My internet was still connected too.

GhaleonEB

Achronos said:
Bungie.net armor image uploading is disabled at present. It will be turned back online after some of this initial load drops down a bit.
I posted a thread about this a few minutes ago on b.net, but it seems to have been nuked (that or I can't find it). The first mission I played yesterday, on Heroic, does not show up in my game history.

Here's the complete saved film of me playing the mission yesterday morning, on Heroic, after watching the opening cinematic. Both the weekly Challenge and bungie.net don't think that game doesn't exist. I assumed b.net was just behind, but it's 36 hours later now and I'm thinking it lost the game forever. I was hoping to compile the stats from my first play through of the game, which is why I keep mentioning it.

Edit: here it is. Ten minutes later it's on page 9. Busy forum. :lol

Striker said:
You can't have a simple Snipers, SWAT, or Classic playlist anymore. Why branch all these playlists up again, and make it awful like Halo 3's set-up? There's already enough and an ample amount of playlists. If anything, they could add a Doubles playlist in Competitive, but even that isn't necessarily needed.

Classic Team Slayer with Armor Abilities

Team Slayer Mix with everything else

Problem solved.

GhaleonEB

Is this old? I just started catching up on the Microsoft keynote in Japan.

Halo reach generate 200 million dollars in day one sales.​
Halo 3 generated $170m. Not sure how the units will stack up, since Reach's two premium editions cost more than Halo 3's.
DancingJesus said:
There is great need for a Social Slayer playlist with AR starts. People are getting frustrated.
Might not be a bad idea to have a "social" hopper with Slayer Classic, Slayer Elites, etc. and a different hopper with SWAT, Snipers, Slayer DMRs, that sort of thing.

Have I fucked up my game save or what?

In the main screen you have the option to go to the Menu or to continue campaign. Last time I selected continue campaign, it loaded a checkpoint at the start of the level even though I believe I was 20minutes past that particular checkpoint. So, next time I select Campaign under Main Menu and find not only that mission, but a latter checkpoint highlighted. I get a message saying WARNING save progress will be deleted, so to speak, but I realise its not a biggy as its already showing me the option to continue from my last checkpoint. select that, countdown begins and yet..the Start option was greyed out. I couldn't begin the game! I back out and I realise the Resume Campaign option at the main screen now says Start Campaign. Later on, I go back to the Campaign option in the Main Menu, select the phase of the mission I wanted but realised its still way back from the last area I played in.

Doesn't the game save at every Checkpoint Loaded? Or what? When I quit campaign sessions, I select 'Save and Quit' so I don't understand why I'm losing so much progress

RdN said:
MS just said in their TGS conference, Reach made $200 million in day one sales.

"That's more than any game, any movie, or any entertainment experience launched in 2010."
Holy crap. Congrats to Bungie/MS. That surpasses Halo 3's first day's sales by about 30 million.

leng jai

Meus Renaissance said:
Have I fucked up my game save or what?

In the main screen you have the option to go to the Menu or to continue campaign. Last time I selected continue campaign, it loaded a checkpoint at the start of the level even though I believe I was 20minutes past that particular checkpoint. So, next time I select Campaign under Main Menu and find not only that mission, but a latter checkpoint highlighted. I get a message saying WARNING save progress will be deleted, so to speak, but I realise its not a biggy as its already showing me the option to continue from my last checkpoint. select that, countdown begins and yet..the Start option was greyed out. I couldn't begin the game! I back out and I realise the Resume Campaign option at the main screen now says Start Campaign. Later on, I go back to the Campaign option in the Main Menu, select the phase of the mission I wanted but realised its still way back from the last area I played in.

Doesn't the game save at every Checkpoint Loaded? Or what? When I quit campaign sessions, I select 'Save and Quit' so I don't understand why I'm losing so much progress

The first time I played I got past the first two levels and then packed it in. I just turned the console off though, didn't do save and quit as I presumed the game saves at every checkpoint. Fast forward to the next day and I was greeted with the "Start campaign" option again. Turns out it didn't save jack and I had to start over.

Magni

Fuck Mission Ten, worst mission in the game by far, on every point. Just not fun, I've been bored or pissed off the whole time. Wow, what a letdown after the first nine which were awesome IMO. This one just plain sucks.

edit: what a tease! fuuuuuuuuu

Drakken

Dammit. I'm stuck in the room where you (eighth mission spoiler)
fight the four hunters. I destroyed the jammer, left the room in order to trigger a checkpoint, then went back into the room to try to take out the rest of the hunters just for kicks. The hunters were gone.
Turns out triggering the checkpoint also triggered the dialogue and next objective. Now the doors are closed and I can't leave. The game thinks I'm outside the room. Guess I have to restart the whole mission. :-/

On a good note, campaign is awesome so far.

finished the campaign today. really solid. most of the missions that involved a vehicle just felt like running through the motions but really i think the campaign is one of the best in any halo. i played one game of online firefight which was pretty cool. need to play some non co-op multiplayer to see how the balance stacks up against previous games. based on the campaign though i feel like the weapons are pretty well balanced though, nothing to overpowered and nothing totally useless.

Achronos

It looks like that the game didn't upload successfully. It is likely lost forever. There are a number of reasons as to why that could happen (both client and server side), but those reasons are kind of moot to you, I guess. It happened, you'll probably have to play that level again. Sorry about that.

GhaleonEB said:
I posted a thread about this a few minutes ago on b.net, but it seems to have been nuked (that or I can't find it). The first mission I played yesterday, on Heroic, does not show up in my game history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom