• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voltron64 said:
Vote or die.

I personally have no problem with it. But what is the harm in having one additional playlist with AR Starts. Nearly every playlist is DMR starts, is it so bad to give them one?

For my brother, he is a bit disappointed because he wants to use other weapons other than the DMR. I'm sure there is a fairly large contingent out there who would use this playlist.

Dirtbag

Can team swat have its own playlist, because I'm really tired of playing it and apparantly everyone else online isn't. UGH.

This one betrayal boot thing is crazy to. I just had some one run in front of my rocket launcher trying to steal my easy kill and boot me.

ElRenoRaven

Kapura said:
I've not seen anybody besides myself rocking the Marathon nameplate. Why is this? Ware my broz at?

I've got it but went with the Spartan Helmet. I'm proud of that one. I can say I bought Halo and Halo 2 twice. Once on Xbox and once on PC for each when they came out. I didn't go looking for a PC key just so I could have it.

And dear god Legendary is freaking hard.

I just finished the 7th mission on Campaign on Legendary solo.

Real spoilers

For the most part it was easy but slow going. However at the point to clear that landing pad that damn chieftain had my number time and time again. I threw everything I had at him time and time again. Finally I tok him down.

He however has nothing and I mean nothing on the last section. That damn 2nd Wraith has pinpoint accuracy and apparently can see me across the area and behind hills and buildings etc. Then let's not forget that anytime I remotely got close it could predict what I was going to do and have it's shot waiting on me. Course that was just the beginning. I checkpoint right on the bridge after killing it only to end up surrounded with dropships dropping off skirmishers and more troops. Needless to say that was a nightmare.

So I ended up with only 53 deaths and a lot of hair pulled out after 2 hours and 9 mins on that level.

1. SWAT/Team Snipers have to be sectioned off. I can't even play a classic Team Slayer game for christ sake.

2. Have one AR/Pistol starts playlist. I've yet to play one gametype of this and it takes away from the map control dynamic of Halo. Plus there's a fairly large contingent of people who get frustrated easily with the precision weapons (My brother included).

3. Take the drop shield out of any objective based game. It is beyond broken and overpowered in King of the Hill.

4. Remove sword loadout on the third phase of Spire Invasion games. Once the elites gain control of the top room with all swords, it's next to impossible to score as Spartans.

5. One betrayal boot is unfortunate.

These are all pretty glaring problems with the multiplayer right now. I've had fun in arena at least.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Enjoying the game, but I feel that this game has swung too far in the direction of outdoor environments. ODST was almost exclusively cityscapes while this is all outdoors. I'm missing the balance achieved by the earlier games (in particular Halo 1 and 3).

Resilient

Not sure if this has been posted/seen but (campaign spoilers for those who haven't completed it)
the Chief is in Reach upon completing the last mission. When the Pillar takes off there is a cutscene where if you hold right, the camera pans to show Chief in cryo sleep
. The link is here - .

Apologies if this has been asked. I redeemed my recon helmet code but can't find the item in the armory. Am I missing something?

Edit: iPhone autocorrect strikes again

ElRenoRaven

DancingJesus said:
1. SWAT/Team Snipers have to be sectioned off. I can't even play a classic Team Slayer game for christ sake.

2. Have one AR/Pistol starts playlist

3. Take the drop shield out of any objective based game.

4. Remove sword loadout on the third phase of Spire Invasion games.

5. One betrayal boot is unfortunate.

These are all pretty glaring problems with the multiplayer right now. I've had fun in arena at least.

I would have to agree with you on everything except 3 & 4 because attackers have the weapons to counter balance it.

PsychoRaven said:
I would have to agree with you on everything except 3 & 4

In objective based King of the Hill a drop shield is supremely overpowered and exploited.

As for the Invasion tweak, it is far too easy to defend as elites in the third phase. If everyone crowds inside with the sword it is next to impossible to score.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
bluebird said:
Not sure if this has been posted/seen but (campaign spoilers for those who haven't completed it)
the Chief is in Reach upon completing the last mission. When the Pillar takes off there is a cutscene where if you hold right, the camera pans to show Chief in cryo sleep
. The link is here - .
1232544146071.jpg

I have not said much since reach, since I'm trying to play as much as possible but man, this game is something. I'll post some thoughts later this week.

So has there been any development on how to unlock the rest of the helmets? Anything on GUNIGNR, Mark V, etc?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone tell me if there's a way to adjust the screen size? I have overscan/resolution/whatever issues and I basically can't see the compass markers on the top of my screen, which means I have no clue where to go to find my next objective. :(

Arnie

Just finished this mother of a game.

Reach > CE

One of my favourite games of all time, without a doubt the best Halo game.

Dartastic

MAN. Sooooo scary to have a dude running at you with a sword, only to kill him and see that he's a hologram. Then you kill another one, to see it's another hologram. Fffffff!

Arnie said:
One of my favourite games of all time, without a doubt the best Halo game.

Two days in and already on the all-time list?

I am only four missions in but it doesn't have the same feel as ODST. I may be proven wrong but that was definitely my favorite Halo campaign.

Alucrid

Banned
PsychoRaven said:
I've got it but went with the Spartan Helmet. I'm proud of that one. I can say I bought Halo and Halo 2 twice. Once on Xbox and once on PC for each when they came out. I didn't go looking for a PC key just so I could have it.

And dear god Legendary is freaking hard.

I just finished the 7th mission on Campaign on Legendary solo.

Real spoilers

For the most part it was easy but slow going. However at the point to clear that landing pad that damn chieftain had my number time and time again. I threw everything I had at him time and time again. Finally I tok him down.

He however has nothing and I mean nothing on the last section. That damn 2nd Wraith has pinpoint accuracy and apparently can see me across the area and behind hills and buildings etc. Then let's not forget that anytime I remotely got close it could predict what I was going to do and have it's shot waiting on me. Course that was just the beginning. I checkpoint right on the bridge after killing it only to end up surrounded with dropships dropping off skirmishers and more troops. Needless to say that was a nightmare.

So I ended up with only 53 deaths and a lot of hair pulled out after 2 hours and 9 mins on that level.

Here's what I found worked for me.

First snipe the grunt out of the ghost with the dmr. Using the jetpack run straight to the first turret, kill the brutes and grunts in the nearby area then activate the turret to get a check point. Near that should be a rocket launcher, grab it and jetpack up to view the first wraith (I had one rocket left over from the previous engagement [clearing the landing pad]) and fire. Then kill the brute with the plasma grenade launcher (plasma pistol and dmr) and use that to finish off the wraith. Another checkpoint. Kill the grunt in the second ghost then head to the building in the east. Jetpack to the top to kill two brutes, one with a hammer and one with a fuel rod. Use a plasma pistol and dmr to take care of them. If you get the hammer one first grab it and wait for the fuel rod one to come up the stairs but wait on top next to them. He won't shoot you but you can still hit him with the hammer. Then head down and to the right near a group of rocks to grab a spartan laser from a marine. Head all the way around to the right to take out the second wraith with two shots from the laser. It should be behind the crest of a hill so jetpack up to get it and stay safe. Checkpoint. Then clear out the rest of the brutes and other enemies near the second turret. Grab some health and ammo then activate it. Checkpoint. Now once you do that run towards the east building, directly straight from the second turret. Jetpack up, you should have a red shielded jackal near you. You can ignore it or kill it, either one. Run straight to see a group of grunts, jackals, maybe a brute. Toss a grenade or two, hang a quick right into a room to active the turrets and end the mission.

Let the dmr do all the hard work. 3 headshots for normal brutes, 6-7 for gold ones, then about 7 for shielded ones once their shield is gone.

For anyone else stuck on that part.

Ecto311

I wish they would get rid of the fuckin slot machine. Some random ass number just because? Am I missing something or does this have some bearing on the halo universe?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ecto311 said:
I wish they would get rid of the fuckin slot machine. Some random ass number just because? Am I missing something or does this have some bearing on the halo universe?

Worst complaint ever? :lol :lol

bluebird said:
. The link is here - .

Very, very cool.
Hard to imagine Bungie biding farewell to Halo without a least a glimpse of The Man himself, which is what this egg really is. I wonder if the Chief will have a slightly more significant presence when/if a hidden ending is ever found, unless they really did bring Steve Downes in just to record Firefight dialog
. Good find nevertheless.

bluebird said:
. The link is here - .

So is this the extra for finishing on Legendary? Cause I just did the last section of the game on Legendary to see if/what was tagged on at the end but it was the exact same as when I finished on Normal.

feel

Most likely old, but BOOOOOOOOO!!!! at the Mark VI nameplate importance downgrade

then
27x4itu.jpg

now
1058v9f.jpg

Will probably use HALO now, since that's the one I actually wanted to use, and it means almost the same as the Mk VI, if not more (Halo 2 play required).

I've only played a few rounds of multiplayer, so my experience may not be representative but does everyone love snipers? Every time snipers pops up it wins the vote overwhelmingly. I hate sniper matches. I usually do fine but they are so boring.

Kibbles

GhaleonEB said:
Is this old? I just started catching up on the Microsoft keynote in Japan.

Halo reach generate 200 million dollars in day one sales.​
Halo 3 generated $170m. Not sure how the units will stack up, since Reach's two premium editions cost more than Halo 3's.

Might not be a bad idea to have a "social" hopper with Slayer Classic, Slayer Elites, etc. and a different hopper with SWAT, Snipers, Slayer DMRs, that sort of thing.
They also said there was more unique players online on launch than the absolute peak ever in the history of Halo 3, so Reach definitely sold more it seems.

Ecto311

Dani said:
Worst complaint ever? :lol :lol

Why is that? It is there for what? If some butthole sucks but has good slot machines he has the same gear that I do for working for it. It comes off as lame and cheap. Unless I am missing something about it.

Alucrid

Banned
Letters said:
Most likely old, but BOOOOOOOOO!!!! at the Mark VI nameplate importance downgrade

then
http://i56.tinypic.com/27x4itu.jpg[IMG]

now
[IMG]http://i56.tinypic.com/1058v9f.jpg[IMG]

Will probably use HALO now, since that's the one I actually wanted to use, and it means almost the same as the Mk VI, if not more (Halo 2 play required).[/QUOTE]

Edit: Apparently I did. Whoo, I'm a steadfast Halo fan or whatever. :lol

Felix Lighter said:
I've only played a few rounds of multiplayer, so my experience may not be representative but does everyone love snipers? Every time snipers pops up it wins the vote overwhelmingly. I hate sniper matches. I usually do fine but they are so boring.

EVERYBODY and their momma is voting for SWAT, and Snipers. I have no idea why these game types are overwhelmingly popular. Even in Big Team I have yet to play stuff like Headhunter.

Arnie

PalaceBrother said:
Two days in and already on the all-time list?

I am only four missions in but it doesn't have the same feel as ODST. I may be proven wrong but that was definitely my favorite Halo campaign.
Yes. Campaign lived up to Combat Evolved pedigree in ways 2 and 3 didn't even attempt, it was the true sequel to CE, superior in every way except the nostalgia factor.

As for Multiplayer, Firefight, Theatre and Forge, yes this is one of my all time favourite games.

Dirtbag said:
Can team swat have its own playlist, because I'm really tired of playing it and apparantly everyone else online isn't. UGH.

This one betrayal boot thing is crazy to. I just had some one run in front of my rocket launcher trying to steal my easy kill and boot me.

im all for a team swat only hopper, it would be the only thing i played for the next 6 months...but i hate snipers

and i accidentally clipped somebody falling from the catwalk on bone yard with a ghost and i got booted

Rogosh

Is anyone else experiencing consistant lag on inputs this evening when playing firefight? I was playing earlier today and yesterday and everything was smooth, but tonight it's been nothing but lag everygame. Any ideas?

voltron

Any one else having trouble consistently getting lag free Fire Fight matches through match-making?

I dont know if its because Im in Australia or what, but 75% of the matches I have are too laggy to play properly.

Regular multiplayer doesnt seems to be better.

Victrix

*beard*
Ecto311 said:
Why is that? It is there for what? If some butthole sucks but has good slot machines he has the same gear that I do for working for it. It comes off as lame and cheap. Unless I am missing something about it.

Every time I wonder how people will pay for stupid shit like avatars or magical flying rainbow ponies in wow, someone like you comes along to remind me that yes, people do care about their digital Mk. VI cockguard

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ecto311 said:
:lol :lol

I'm sorry but I'm finding this too funny.

Seriously though, it's a small, small bonus. Nothing to get upset over and bitch and moan and swear and talk about buttholes sucking and whatnot.

Sibylus

Banned
Finished the campaign about a half hour ago.

Might be early to say, but I think what I played was better than every Halo game yet released. Even Halo 1.

skyfinch

leng jai said:
The first time I played I got past the first two levels and then packed it in. I just turned the console off though, didn't do save and quit as I presumed the game saves at every checkpoint. Fast forward to the next day and I was greeted with the "Start campaign" option again. Turns out it didn't save jack and I had to start over.

Same thing I'm dealing with (though I did save and quit). Beat the game yesterday, but got booted out to menu screen after every mission. Found out it was because I had scoring ON. Turned scoring off, started campaign over again....everything seemed to be going fine. Got to the 3rd mission without getting booted out. Took a break, and now there's no "resume" campaign option. I have to start over again. :/

Net_Wrecker said:
EVERYBODY and their momma is voting for SWAT, and Snipers. I have no idea why these game types are overwhelmingly popular. Even in Big Team I have yet to play stuff like Headhunter.
Is this in the Team Slayer playlist? Because I've played it the most and the majority of my games aren't SWAT/Snipers.

Kimosabae

Banned
Campaign seems like the shortest of all of them. Very anti-climatic ending - I was really hoping it would end similar to the book. Missed opportunity regarding event/character tie-ins.

Overall, presentation-wise, this was the best campaign. But CE holds the crown due to its better all-around gameplay. More mystery, more polish, less clutter.

*edit*

The post-credits are fucked up.

Net_Wrecker said:

Hmmmm... Hopefully it works its self out. I was just testing the water, since I haven't play Halo multiplayer in so long but constant sniper matches is a huge turn off.

darthbob

Letters said:

The whole thing is completely devalued now.

There needed to be a Nameplate for someone who fulfilled all of those metrics. Not just 4/5.

Vaux

im getting the game tonight and i haven't played halo 3 in almost a full year, so its been nothing but mw2 since for me. I usually don't get hyped for a game but idk man this game is getting me anxious.
So do you guys recommend starting the campaign on Heroic like the other halos?

Draft

I just beat it. What the hell.

Cortana is what, like an alien?

Also didn't get the cheevo for finishing the game, is that because I did it in co-op?

Animal

Banned
Vaux said:
im getting the game tonight and i haven't played halo 3 in almost a full year, so its been nothing but mw2 since for me. I usually don't get hyped for a game but idk man this game is getting me anxious.
So do you guys recommend starting the campaign on Heroic like the other halos?

Absolutely.

Oozer3993

Smokey said:
Is the max score in Arena 1700 or 1800?

I had a horrible first game in Arena, but I bounced back in my next 3 bringing my score to 1680 for the day.

2000, but it's essentially impossible to get above an 1800.

DancingJesus said:
Could someone explain to me how to differentiate between a weekly challenge and a daily?

I can't seem to find any indication.

I've been told that the Weekly Challenge is denoted by the sunburst pattern. At the moment it's "This Is How We Do It." They're clearly differentiated on Bungie.net as well.

EDIT: Nevermind, that ending Easter egg is 100% genuine. A pretty neat one.

cazosozey

Draft said:
I just beat it. What the hell.

Cortana is what, like an alien?

Also didn't get the cheevo for finishing the game, is that because I did it in co-op?

If you started a campaign mission from the title screen and not continue, it may not have bee completed, I had to do level 7 twice

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
darthbob said:
The whole thing is completely devalued now.

There needed to be a Nameplate for someone who fulfilled all of those metrics. Not just 4/5.
Ima exchange my copy in the morning too

Kimosabae said:
Campaign seems like the shortest of all of them. Very anti-climatic ending - I was really hoping it would end similar to the book. Missed opportunity regarding event/character tie-ins.

Overall, presentation-wise, this was the best campaign. But CE holds the crown due to its better all-around gameplay. More mystery, more polish, less clutter.

*edit*

The post-credits are fucked up.
CE's gameplay isn't anywhere close to Reach.

watership

Man I feel like a huge piece of shit for that spoiler 2 pages ago guys. I fully intended to tag it but it wasn't until hours later that I some msgs and fixed it. Huge screw up, sorry to all. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom