• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trasher

ManCannon said:
team swat will hopefully be moving into its own playlist in the not too distant future.
Question: Are assists working as intended?

And any chance that Drop Shield will be taken out of Skirmish modes like Oddball?

Monocle

Well, seems that I still can't snipe worth a shit. Nothing quite like a Halo game to make me feel like a waste of carbon.

Campaign's
almost
everything I've always wanted, though, so I guess that's something.

ManCannon

JB1981 said:
I played Invasion yesterday and was thoroughly confused. What the hell is going on on that Spire map and how the hell do i get down without a jetpack? Wish this game had bots or some kind of tutorial on the gametypes. Headhunter is an awesome addition, however.

you can jump off the top and land on the orange jets/lifts that are down on the ground all around the Spire. it's a scary leap but you can do it and land safely.

Just got in from a week in the country to find my copy of Reach sat at my desk, delicious!

Like I said last week, going in balls first with legendary from the get go, it's the only way I can play halo and honour it's last title from our Bungie overlords.

Monocle said:
Well, seems that I still can't snipe worth a shit. Nothing quite like a Halo game to make me feel like a waste of carbon.

Campaign's
almost
everything I've always wanted, though, so I guess that's something.
Yo, Monocle, send me an FR. We gotta play sometime.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Kuroyume said:
Remove Slayer Pro, Snipers, and Slayer Classic from Team Slayer

Keep SWAT

I would say remove SWAT, Snipers, and Slayer Pro.

I have 2 basic expectations when I enter the Team Slayer playlist:

1) I will start with an AR or DMR. (mostly AR)

2) I will have radar.

SWAT should have it's own playlist, Snipers should have it's own playlist and Slayer Pro should be included with some sort of Hardcore/MLG playlist.

ultron87

Focus Rifling at people on the ground from the top of Spire is so much fun, just because you see them try to dance around like ants to try to evade your glowing death beam from on high.

However, I heavily disagree about the power core on that map eventually resetting if the Spartans get it off the tower during Invasion. Getting it out of that room the first time is hard enough.

GhaleonEB said:
Stockpile Nerfle rounds from the Skirmishers to take out the entire Brute wave. Both times I had a full clip of 84 needles, and since Brutes are unshielded, they go pop, pop, pop. :D
Yeah, when I finally realized this I had a big smile on my face.

Merguson

Banned
Played up until the mission "Exodus."

Long Night of Solace (I think that is what it is called) is definitively my favorite level so far. It gives you some new scenarios that haven't been done in a Halo game before, including a location that hasn't been experienced since Halo 1. Great campaign so far. :D

As for framerate problems, I definitely notice them during cutscenes and gameplay. They haven't been as severe as some people make them out to be. Haven't touched the other modes yet.

EDIT: It was Long Night of Solace, not Tip of the Spear.

Cerrius said:

2) I will have radar.

SWAT should have it's own playlist, Snipers should have it's own playlist and Slayer Pro should be included with some sort of Hardcore/MLG playlist.
I love the DMR. I really do. I love getting kills with it: it's extremely satisfying and just a joy. I do, however, also love the pistol and the AR. I also like the radar. Most of the time in Team Slayer, though, I play Slayer Pro or Slayer DMRs. Neither of which give me a good opportunity to use the AR, and don't give me any real incentive to use the pistol (as in the case with Slayer DMRs and you have a pistol secondary). It's not fun.

Plus, I also like AAs, and Slayer Pro doesn't have any. :(

Cerrius said:

2) I will have radar.

maybe they dont want to add 15 more playlists?

Lkr

The end of the sixth level
the space one
is
all kinds of awesome. now I never read the book, so I don't know exactly what happened with the covenent being able to destroy everyone all of a sudden, but it was crazy

fwiw, which book comes first in the novel series?

JB1981

I feel like the MP went from BR BR BR BR BR BR to DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR DMR. It's practically the only sound you here in a BTB.

Chinner

Banned
is it me or does this game crash/freeze alot whenever host switching is happening? its crashed/froze on me when there are mulitple host changes in a game, and once after the host change. kind of annoying.

I've only touched campaign... havent passed it... already the game feels so fulfilling. I cant even imagine how it will feel after trying out all the other game modes.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Chinner said:
is it me or does this game crash/freeze alot whenever host switching is happening? its crashed/froze on me when there are mulitple host changes in a game, and once after the host change. kind of annoying.

Don't think I've experienced any form of crashing or freezing since launch.

Gui_PT

Hey Armor Lock. Fuck You!

"oh, I'm taking damage, imma armor lock and wait for someone from my team to save me"

What a goddamn stupid loser tactic.

Arnie

There seems to be a severe flaw in Zealot which I have just encountered in Arena:

If a team of 4 go straight up into the atmosphere from the start of the game they can sit there without fear of death. Anybody who lifts up to attack them is gunned down by four simultaneous DMRs so they are impossible to displace. Even if a group go up as a co-ordinated unit they are still at a disadvantage due to the enemies knowing your exact entry point while you have to go in blind. Maybe Bungie should make it so the transparent shield separating the two play spaces should be semi-permeable, allowing the interior team to shoot outside but not vice-versa. Discuss.

Oh and I second Trasher's question, Brian, are assists working as intended? They, armour lock and grenade strength/ease of use are my only frustrations with the games multiplayer at the moment. This is truly the best Halo game Bungie have ever made.
Gui_PT said:

"oh, I'm taking damage, imma armor lock and wait for someone from my team to save me"

I tried to have this discussion yesterday although all I got in reply was, "Just run away" or "You aren't doing it right". Personally I think it completely breaks the Golden Tripod of Halo rather than enriching it like the other armour abilities.

aesop

+1 for SWAT needs its own playlist.

I like SWAT, or I used to, when it wasn't the only thing I played.

Also, I'm really sick of the quitters. I don't think I played one game last night that made it from start to finish without at least one person dropping out. I know it takes some time to filter these jerks out, but hurry the eff up already.

Chorazin

Lkr said:
The end of the sixth level
the space one
is
all kinds of awesome. now I never read the book, so I don't know exactly what happened with the covenent being able to destroy everyone all of a sudden, but it was crazy

fwiw, which book comes first in the novel series?

Publication-wise? The Fall of Reach.

Chronologically? Contact: Harvest. Although I think some of the stories in Essentials take place before that.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Does it matter where you hit someone with a DRM if they have a shield? I know once the shield has gone a headshot will instant kill, just wondering.

aesop

Gui_PT said:

Uhh, that's exactly why it's in the game?

Big-E

Have one and a half missions left in my Legendary playthrough and I go to say that there are some things that I am not liking one bit. Firendly ai is dumber than I have ever remembered. Numerous instances in this playthrough where my team would sit and not fire at all at enemies charging at me even though the enemies are walking right past them. They are next to useless since they usually just attract grenades and end up killing me in the process. Also, vehicle controls, especially the tank, I feel are horrible. The tank gets hung up on the tiniest of debris or up tiny hills. Warthog controls ok but I hated using them with an ai gunner as they fucking suck. Going on the back of a warthog sucks too since the ai driver will most likely get you killed.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ManCannon said:
team swat will hopefully be moving into its own playlist in the not too distant future.

edit: and yeah, hoping to see drop shield load-out removed from stuff like oddball. discussions underway.
Can we have a catchy named punchbag to blame please, like Shishka. Not having a person to blame is dissatisfying. You could invent someone. Like Blanka from Streetfighter. I would blame his ass for almost anything.

BLANKA SUCKS!

Arnie said:
I tried to have this discussion yesterday although all I got in reply was, "Just run away" or "You aren't doing it right". Personally I think it completely breaks the Golden Tripod of Halo rather than enriching it like the other armour abilities.
I've never really had a problem with armor lock so far. Most of the time I'm able to wait until the person has to come out of armor lock and am able to kill them. It's rare, so far for me, to get killed while waiting for someone to get out of armor lock.

big ander

Botolf said:
Random thought (huge spoilers):
I think I would have reversed the places of Emile and Jorge. Jorge was my favourite NPC in the game, and he was probably the most developed and "human" member of Noble Team. Abrupt death aboard a Covenant Carrier seems, I don't know... fitting for someone as aggressive and vicious as Emile, yet a little out of place for a weathered and experienced warrior like Jorge. I can't be alone in thinking that it would have been fitting to see Jorge fight until the very end and help the Autumn escape.
I wanted Carter and Emile to switch places.
Deacan said:
Does it matter where you hit someone with a DRM if they have a shield? I know once the shield has gone a headshot will instant kill, just wondering.
Doesn't matter. Just keep shooting til you pop the shields.

Can't wait to get home and do some dailies :D

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Gui_PT said:

Its an awesome AA. Perhaps you should change your tactics and adapt.

big ander

I don't hate AL. I don't find it useful. Others trick me with it occasionally, but not often enough to make it annoying.
Hologram is awesome in SP/FF, but people don't seem to fall for it in Matchmaking. Oh well, it's still fun to use.

Gui_PT

Arnie said:

Yeah, you're right, it's just a cowardly and stupid way to play the game.

And those of you who think it's cool...really? Everytime you see a guy, you curl up and wait for someone to save you? That's how you like to play? ... Really?

Change tactics and adapt? All I can do once a dude uses AL is run away. I don't play to run away.

big ander

Gui_PT said:

And those of you who think it's cool...really? Everytime you see a guy, you curl up and wait for someone to save you? That's how you like to play? ... Really?

Change tactics and adapt? All I can do once a dude uses AL is run away. I don't play to run away.
If that's how people are using AL against you and succeeding, you're doing it wrong and so are they.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
big ander said:
I don't hate AL. I don't find it useful. Others trick me with it occasionally, but not often enough to make it annoying.
Hologram is awesome in SP/FF, but people don't seem to fall for it in Matchmaking. Oh well, it's still fun to use.

I find hologram best used when you are using a sniper. In this one match, I perched up top this mountain side and would put the hologram out near one ledge while I sat near the other. Whenever I see or hear it getting shot, I'd know where to keep my crosshairs.

Good a gnarly k/d in that game.

Kapura

Banned
hey brian, if you're reading this, what is this bullshit about not being able to do firefight matchmaking with the 4gb model of the slim? I have the game installed on my thumb drive too, shouldn't that be enough? Do I really need to shell out the $130 for an HDD?

Also, where do you see the personal leaderboard for score attack?

Chorazin

Gui_PT said:

Chuck a grenade a few seconds after he AL's, if you can. It doesn't last that long.

Arnie

Dax01 said:
I've never really had a problem with armor lock so far. Most of the time I'm able to wait until the person has to come out of armor lock and am able to kill them. It's rare, so far for me, to get killed while waiting for someone to get out of armor lock.
When I've encountered it in BTB playlists or Invasion I have had similar experiences, I am able to wait it out and usually get the kill. In competitive playlists such as Arena or Team Slayer on smaller more confined maps where teams spawn in big clusters then it becomes a horrible, horrible experience.

I'm not saying remove it from the game, just filter it in specific playlists and maps.

Gui_PT

big ander said:
If that's how people are using AL against you and succeeding, you're doing it wrong and so are they.

Well, I tried not running away, because that's not why i go into MM.

But that's what i'll do from now on. You're armor locking? Goodbye.

Gui_PT said:

I use AL primarily for Elite Slayer. It works wonders when everyone is trying to run you over with a ghost.

big ander

EvaPlusMinus said:
I find hologram best used when you are using a sniper. In this one match, I perched up top this mountain side and would put the hologram out near one ledge while I sat near the other. Whenever I see or hear it getting shot, I'd know where to keep my crosshairs.

Good a gnarly k/d in that game.
That does help. Played a custom Slayer Pros with y friend when he got the game. He didn't know a lot about the game beyond "they added sprint and replaced the BR." His reaction when I used a hologram with a sword :lol :lol And it also helped me to get headshots on him, even with my lack of skill.

Sai

Yeah, SWAT, and Snipers definitely need their own playlist. Every time that mess pops up, folks go straight for it.

Not that I don't like SWAT and Snipes. Just gotta be in the mood for 'em.

reddmyst said:
I just love the sniper rifle, seems so much better than 2 and 3's.
Definitely better than 3's. Dunno about 2's... It was nerfed for a reason. :lol

electricpirate said:
Opportunist somethin' or other. :p

Nice clean-up.

ultron87

big ander said:

I find that most people will at least get distracted by it for a few moments. So that's enough to pop out and get a few shots in.

Whenever I get someone to waste rockets or plasma launcher rounds on a hologram I feel super accomplished.

Hixx

Snipers on the Cage is the worst shit ever. Horrible spawns and because of how small the map is and how often people die, opposition will probably spawn right behind you. Bah.

Jex

ManCannon said:

edit: and yeah, hoping to see drop shield load-out removed from stuff like oddball. discussions underway.
Ironically, I played a ton of SWAT in Halo 3. A TON. But it's so different to the other modes, and so popular, that I'll certainly be glad if it gets it's own playlist.

Although I'm pretty low on complaints with regards to everything else, at least so far. Not even match lag in firefight, which is excellent.

Armor Lock is fantastic. A split-second Armor Lock saves you from all sorts of trouble (yesterday I shrugged off and then punched a shotgun-wielder in one game, and a guy with a hammer in the next), and if you use it with teammates properly, you can roll around the map donging on people. It only has three quick uses or a long squat, so I don't see the issue. Everyone has access to it, and if you're working with your teammates it doesn't have to tip the tide against you.

And yes, sometimes it is best to just walk away and find another spot.

It's the best griefing tool, though. It makes people so mad. A team gathered around my corpse and unloaded on me after I finally died in an Arena game last night.

big ander

Gui_PT said:
Well, I tried not running away, because that's not why i go into MM.

But that's what i'll do from now on. You're armor locking? Goodbye.
Yeah, this actually works. Lockers seem like they're usually over defensive, so they might not chase as hard. If you use sprint, their maneuver is worth nothing.
Lock is awesome for objective games. It's the perfect defensive boost, but it can still be easily neutralized by a coordinated team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom