• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

Max said:
No? The hell is going on in this gif then?

I'd love to know too. I didn't think there was but I do remember doing a double take at that point in the video. So how was it pulled off. I just gotta know.

Sibylus

Banned
It seems like all the pieces are sitting at extreme angles, combined with some wobble on the camera (the sprint meter is virtually empty, may or may not be significant).

feel

Max said:
No? The hell is going on in this gif then?
PsychoRaven said:
I'd love to know too. I didn't think there was but I do remember doing a double take at that point in the video. So how was it pulled off. I just gotta know.
illusion map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYeYRpanyPM

they tilt it at just the right angle so both floor and walls can be walked on

I remember playing a crazy FFA match about 2 years ago in the map from the video, and it felt really cool

Sikamikanico said:
:') totally awesome

big ander said:
So good. The music is amazing, the sound overall is great, and it's the perfect tone.
Halo movie then...

For some reason I liked that a lot more than the abridged version.

And, yes, we need a Halo movie. I really wish the Blomkamp version had come to fruition. Video game films have a horrific track record, but if anything can buck the trend, its Halo.

DrBo42

Wow the extended version is fucking amazing. I love that you get a glimpse of every member of Noble Team, if you blink you'll miss Emile. The long pause of the old 6 in the ship makes his run at the end even stranger though. They should have just had him stand there like a badass and accept the end. Also wish they comp'd in a trail from Jun's sniper shot but as is, it's so good. I can't even imagine the hours that were put into it in post.

ElRenoRaven

Letters said:
illusion map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYeYRpanyPM

they tilt it at just the right angle so both floor and walls can be walked on

I remember playing a crazy FFA match about 2 years ago in the map from the video, and it felt really cool

:') totally awesome

Wow. That's nuts. I'll have to download that map and check it out. Also the extended cut while awesome pisses me off because it's so damn good and shows exactly why a Halo movie would kick ass. Sadly though we'll never probably see one.

I honestly don't think that halo should have a movie. IMO a band of brothers-esque miniseries would be a lot more fitting, especially with how these commercials seem to play out.

Talking to a friend of mine about Reach. He "loved" the first three, but thinks Reach has changed too much and doesn't want anything to do with it. I asked him why, and he went on and on about how Armor Abilities are terrible additions and shouldn't even be in the game. How they make the game somehow unfair. I kept on saying that he doesn't like it because he sucks at the game and can't adapt. :lol

From MSN said:
Ajem says:
Learn how to counter armor abilities. It REALLY isn’t hard. Jetpacks are screwed if they’re in the open. Armor lock you can literally sit and wait til the person gets out of it. etc.

Chaos Reaper says:
its not about countering them, its not even about having them and using them correctly. I'd have more fun if they werent there. just me and my AR :3

Ajem says:
So you DO suck..

Chaos Reaper says:
it doesnt feel like halo with jetpacks and armor lock, sprint and stealth
what hapened to the stealth power up?
banshees?
overshields?

Ajem says:
Banshees are still there..

Chaos Reaper says:
then why even have jetpacks?

Ajem says:
Are you serious?

Chaos Reaper says:
halo has always been about soldiers and vehicles

Ajem says:
Halo has been about guns, grenades, and vehicles.

Chaos Reaper says:
not armor that makes cars flip over when they hit you
super speed spartans
and flying dudes

Ajem says:
You’re an idiot.
I’m done talking to you.
Good day sir.

Chaos Reaper says:
um ok.... I dont know why you're getting so anal over a game I never said was bad. I just didnt want it.....

Ajem says:
I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR.

DrBo42

les papillons sexuels said:
I honestly don't think that halo should have a movie. IMO a band of brothers-esque miniseries would be a lot more fitting, especially with how these commercials seem to play out.
Yeah that's a pretty good idea. I don't know how a 2-hour film would work out with Halo. If you made the miniseries about a Spartan class and followed them from selection/training to deployment, it could be something really special.

duk

Banned
fuck ima be sad now playing reach after that extended cut... remember reach... remember bungie making halo games sniff sniff

DrBo42 said:
Yeah that's a pretty good idea. I don't know how a 2-hour film would work out with Halo. If you made the miniseries about a Spartan class and followed them from selection/training to deployment, it could be something really special.

My girlfriend suggested something similar to Legends, just without the anime crap. Do a series of live-action shorts, each having its own little story.

zewone

It's good, but We are ODST is way better.

I think I even liked the Halo 3 diorama one better, the music is epic in that one.

derFeef

Extended cut is awesome. I like how Jun sniped that elite (even if the editing was a bit too fast). Jet-packing was more epic as well, really nice and slow.

zewone said:
It's good, but We are ODST is way better.

I think I even liked the Halo 3 diorama one better, the music is epic in that one.

I kinda like how all of the commercials seem to hit on different things. The bloomkamp ones were a lot more on the industrial side, the diorama blurred the fictional and real, the odst provided a look at the training and service, and this one had the action. It's a really nice umbrella of the entire universe.

one thing i really hate was how fake the helmet looked on noble 6 in the extended cut.

watership

DrBo42 said:
Wow the extended version is fucking amazing. I love that you get a glimpse of every member of Noble Team, if you blink you'll miss Emile. The long pause of the old 6 in the ship makes his run at the end even stranger though. They should have just had him stand there like a badass and accept the end. Also wish they comp'd in a trail from Jun's sniper shot but as is, it's so good. I can't even imagine the hours that were put into it in post.

I had the same thought. Instead of running, I would have had old 6 just suddenly jump into the crowd of covenant, knock a few down, and hold the bomb above his head as it went off.

Wow, the extended cut is just amazing, and I say this as someone disappointmented with the original version. All the shots are given the time and expressive pauses they need. So good.

WJD

The music that plays when Kat goes down is chilling.

Great trailer.

edit:

154il5j.jpg

That was also pretty cool. Full HUD style.

watership said:
I had the same thought. Instead of running, I would have had old 6 just suddenly jump into the crowd of covenant, knock a few down, and hold the bomb above his head as it went off.

yeah, but then you don't have the ? ending of whether or not he makes it out.

watership

les papillons sexuels said:
yeah, but then you don't have the ? ending of whether or not he makes it out.

And it would probably confuse a casual audience who would just see a dude 'splode and think "Okay, that's depressing."

cazosozey

Mik2121 said:
Woooo, my icons are on bungie.net!! Not all, though, just 3 (343 with the heart, hunter on the ghost and forky)
Congratulations again man!
Look a few pages back for all your praise! lol

Lakitu

st5fu
First post but better late than never. Great OP, fantastic work, very informative.

I'm so excited. In fact I'd say I've never been this excited for a Halo campaign since Halo 2. Plus all the multi-player and firefight stuff to look forward to. I'm checking my game.co.uk order every day... I always seem to get my games a day earlier from them.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Letters said:
svriag.jpg

No_

From what I hear, this map was made at a 45 degree angle. I think it's called Cube. Could be wrong though, looks cool. Don't think it's a serious map though.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Not a Jellyfish said:
It did but come on now, I want to see
that arm get cut off. Also I don't know why I spoiler tagged this.
Did you notice the cut? Her arm was basically shred off inside the armor.

The Halo Reach launch is officially the most expensive game launch ever for me. I got the legendary edition, the console and an ASTRO A40 sound system to be able to play late at night (which is the only time at which I can play). That's $800 without considering taxes or shipping. I don't regret it though, Reach will be the only game I'll play in the foreseable future.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
godhandiscen said:
Did you notice the cut? Her arm was basically shred off inside the armor.

The Halo Reach launch is officially the most expensive game launch ever for me. I got the legendary edition, the console and an ASTRO A40 sound system to be able to play late at night (which is the only time at which I can play). That's $800 without considering taxes or shipping. I don't regret it though, Reach will be the only game I'll play in the foreseable future.

Will rewatch, didn't notice.
Just got home from a bar, so a lil gone right now.

feel

The prequel explanation is such an unnecessary copout that 343/bungie came up with after getting the ad on their hands, I'm not buying it at all... The ad is during the battle for Reach, it's the only way it all makes sense. Not necessarily the events that will happen, just the marketing team and director's vision of one of the events that could happen (think Halo 3 Believe, or any alternate ending to any movie or game). Kat doesn't have the robotic arm because it would be hard to implement well, maybe they were pressed for time/budget, who knows, but I'm fine with it, and I wish 343/Bungie were fine with it.

Who's with me?

*crickets*

edit- ignore the above, I just noticed the arm cut.. FUUUUUUUUUU

sigh, now once again, I hate that it's so misleading with the zoom out to the planet reach and the "remember" text. The whole thing just doesn't sit well with me this way :/

Oh well at least it's 2 and a half minutes of eye candy.

VV wasn't joking before, I stand corrected now

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Letters said:
The prequel explanation is such an unnecessary copout that 343/bungie came up with after getting the ad on their hands, I'm not buying it at all... The ad is during the battle for Reach, it's the only way it all makes sense. Not necessarily the events that will happen, just the marketing team and director's vision of one of the events that could happen (think Halo 3 Believe, or any alternate ending to any movie or game). Kat doesn't have the robotic arm because it would be hard to implement well, maybe they were pressed for time/budget, who knows, but I'm fine with it, and I wish 343/Bungie were fine with it.
What? It makes more sense that 343/Bungie wanted to tell a specific part of the story and the filmakers followed those guidelines. Why would 343/Bungie try to do things backwards?

ehh... fuck, I just realized it was a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom