• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
AND WE HAVE NO GAMEPLAY YET

:(

Are you seriously expecting gameplay soon? Halo 3 didn't have *official* gameplay until the early Spring '07, ODST didn't have official gameplay until E3 2009, and Reach didn't have official gameplay until February '10. I'm not expecting any Halo 4 gameplay until February-March at the earliest.

I do hope for a magazine spread, some screens, and official first details in January, though. Hoping.

vhfive

But COD has more people playing it. Establish yourself as the predominant platform for the biggest game franchise in the world (as they have with time-release DLC)... rake in even more cash. Let Reach die this year and hope for the best with Halo 4.

yea but doesn't mlg want people to attend their events/watch their streams. I guarantee that halo gets more people to their events and has more stream viewers than cod. I guess if MS pays enough money its makes sense but I would think mlg wants the games that would draw the most people.

heckfu

Banned
I'm just throwing this out there, but I personally don't care if my game is on the MLG circuit. I mean I understand a lot of you follow it and even play (or whatever Tashi does, :lol) but it really doesn't matter to me, personally.

I hate it for the franchise but I enjoy plenty of games that aren't on the circuit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm just throwing this out there, but I personally don't care if my game is on the MLG circuit. I mean I understand a lot of you follow it and even play (or whatever Tashi does, :lol) but it really doesn't matter to me, personally.

I hate it for the franchise but I enjoy plenty of games that aren't on the circuit.

The problem is that it's another in your face example of the franchise "dying."

I have friends who are going through this with Gears atm, when that shit gets dropped by MLG AGAIN (this time due to lack of interest) they are probably going to commit suicide.

But how else will I know if my preffered game of choice is cool?? I guess we can just hope the Dorito and Mountain Dew sponsorships will carry us through these hard times.

Edit: It's a sad day when people trouncex their lives over games that appear on the MLG circuit Alien.

CyReN

I believe CoD passed Halo barely in stream viewers this past event.

It did pass Halo for a couple events from what I heard.

I think the recent "resurgence" from the MLG Halo community along with good maps/nb/ns will help a lot for next season if it picked up.

Horrible POV on how to look at this, especially with Halo slowly declining at this rate to CoD.

kylej

Banned

uh, ok? It's a harbinger of the death of Halo. The game that made MLG what it is today is on the chopping block. That's what matters. Glad you... also enjoy the thousands of games not on the circuit like every other normal person?

But how else will I know if my preffered game of choice is cool?? I guess we can just hope the Dorito and Mountain Dew sponsorships will carry us through these hard times.

There is no community working harder than the MLG community to revitalize Halo. Shit on them all you want, at least they're trying.

heckfu

Banned
Horrible POV on how to look at this, especially with Halo slowly declining at this rate to CoD.
No, that's the thing. It's not terrible because that's my own, personal, opinion and I made sure to make that clear when I posted. And even though I'm probably in the minority with that opinion on GAF but there have to be others that agree with me.

And, I do have faith it'll be back. Microsoft knows that MLG is probably vital to the future of the franchise.

CyReN

No, that's the thing. It's not terrible because that's my own, personal, opinion and I made sure to make that clear when I posted. And even though I'm probably in the minority with that opinion on GAF but there have to be others that agree with me.

And, I do have faith it'll be back. Microsoft knows that MLG is probably vital to the future of the franchise.

Might be a dumb question, but if you really don't care about it, why would you post you don't care? Like I respect people freedom to have opinions and all that jazz but it just seems counterproductive in the talks.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Edit: It's a sad day when people trouncex their lives over games that appear on the MLG circuit Alien.

You're missing my point.

It just reaffirms their nagging suspicion that their favorite game's popularity is fading.

XBL performance lists also do this.

heckfu

Banned
Might be a dumb question, but if you really don't care about it, why would you post you don't care? Like I respect people freedom to have opinions and all that jazz but it just seems counterproductive in the talks.

eh, i usually stay out of the serious conversations in here anyway. you bring up a good point, sir.

There is no community working harder than the MLG community to revitalize Halo. Shit on them all you want, at least they're trying.

:lol Ok, ok, first off; How serious are you right now?

Very? Ok. I know you like MLG quite a lot and there is nothing wrong with that at all. You've got to realise I was not 'shitting on' MLG.

"There is no community working harder than the MLG community to revitalize MLG Halo".

You left out a pretty key word there which really sets the actual tone. I hardly think the Halo Council cares about... well every other playlist in Reach's vast array of playlists. Can you blame them? Nope. I'd be the same if I was getting paid to play MLG Halo :p

At least they're trying is a fair point. What's that? 343 were trying too? As were Bungie? Are those not fair points kylej?

There is nothing wrong with MLG Halo players wanting the best out of their game. I think it's cool but I also don't think it is the end of Halo if tey were to fail to keep Halo on the MLG circuit. My statement about Doritios and Mountain Dew was implicative of that.

The day Reach falls from grace on the MLG circuit is the day MLG Reach players stop playing or the people who haven't played Reach but who still watch MLG have no clue it even exists in a competitive nature. That's one subsection of the Halo community. An arguably large one true...

Edit: I personally blame heckfu for the animosity that will be shown to me after this post!!!

yea but doesn't mlg want people to attend their events/watch their streams. I guarantee that halo gets more people to their events and has more stream viewers than cod. I guess if MS pays enough money its makes sense but I would think mlg wants the games that would draw the most people.

Similar to Street Fighter. Capcom doesn't sell nearly the same as CoD and Halo, but the competitive community is bigger. I guess they don't feel the same way for Halo.

vhfive

:lol Ok, ok, first off; How serious are you right now?

Very? Ok. I know you like MLG quite a lot and there is nothing wrong with that at all. You've got to realise I was not 'shitting on' MLG.

"There is no community working harder than the MLG community to revitalize MLG Halo".

You left out a pretty key word there which really sets the actual tone. I hardly think the Halo Council cares about... well every other playlist in Reach's vast array of playlists. Can you blame them? Nope. I'd be the same if I was getting paid to play MLG Halo :p

At least they're trying is a fair point. What's that? 343 were trying too? As were Bungie? Are those not fair points kylej?

There is nothing wrong with MLG Halo players wanting the best out of their game. I think it's cool but I also don't think it is the end of Halo if tey were to fail to keep Halo on the MLG circuit. My statement about Doritios and Mountain Dew was implicative of that.

The day Reach falls from grace on the MLG circuit is the day MLG Reach players stop playing or the people who haven't played Reach but who still watch MLG have no clue it even exists in a competitive nature. That's one subsection of the Halo community. An arguably large one true...

Edit: I personally blame heckfu for the animosity that will be shown to me after this post!!!

First off both Bungie and 343 are companies not communities.
and MLG definitely is the biggest community try to keep Halo alive

You're missing my point.

It just reaffirms their nagging suspicion that their favorite game's popularity is fading.

XBL performance lists also do this.

Some people play games because they are popular.
Some people play games because they are fun.
Sometimes a person can be both.
Sometimes a person can be one.

Edit: @vhfive: Do you perhaps think that because MLG Halo is in most need of saving? ForgeHub still Forge. Griffballers still Griffball. Casuals still play. MLG Halo players are doing quite a lot to save MLG Halo. That is simply my point.

Also, MLG is a company :p

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah the wait for Halo 4 is getting unbearable without anything to go on. I mean the books are nice but they are not Halo 4.
Yeah, I've cut back my GAF time cause I found myself obsessively checking for Halo 4 news. I'm getting desperate here. Need my fix!

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Similar to Street Fighter. Capcom doesn't sell nearly the same as CoD and Halo, but the competitive community is bigger. I guess they don't feel the same way for Halo.

I'm envious of that. There are so many other things to do in Halo besides MLG 4v4's or other MLG gametypes. In Street Fighter, there's basically one "gametype"

CyReN

What? If you watched their and others podcast they cover all Halo subjects. Recently THC covered 343i new Atlas app released.

(I'm reading it as they only care about MLG stuff, yea they all come from competitive backgrounds but it doesn't mean they don't do other things in Halo. If I'm reading it wrong my bad)

What? If you watched their and others podcast they cover all Halo subjects. Recently THC covered 343i new Atlas app released.

I'm far too casual to watch a Halo Council :p I totally admire the work you are trying to do and I wish you all the best... but MLG is not the Halo I play nor is it where I go to assess the current state of the entire game. If ForgeHub were to discuss every facet of Halo, I would show equal interest in that. It isn't anything personal and I hope we are all mature enough to realise that. I am not downplaying any of their points or anything silly like that.

kylej

Banned

Hydranockz has never watched a single minute of a Halo Council (hence him believing it's all pro players who talk about MLG the whole time). That kid loves talking out of his ass more than anything in the whole world. Ignore him.

I love the attitudes some people have towards both Halo dying and MLG. When is it time to be concerned?

Ok so if Halo leaves the MLG circuit - nothing to worry about, that's just a small subset of the population that will stop playing.
Ok so Halo is 7th on the XBL activity - hey nothing to worry about they're doing better than Gears.
Ok so Anniversary didn't track in the NPD top 10 - nothing to worry about, it's a gift to the fans
Ok so Living Dead has a higher population than any other playlist - nothing to worry about, it had a large population in Halo 3.

I want OT8 to be titled 'In which we bury our heads in the sand'.

Homeboyd

Thanks for answering my answer, jerk. :p

Nah, too busy and the few games I picked up these last few months were a massive time sink as well.

Ah well, seems Halo is dying going by the last few posts in here.... or something.

That statement was the answer to your question.

I personally love the maps.. especially the BTB maps. I play Anni BTB probably 90% of the time I'm playing Multiplayer MM. And that pretty much means Ridgeline and Breakneck (High Noon doesn't get voted often and I don't vote for it often). And yet I still love it.

I just love new maps and would blindly throw money at new map packs if they released monthly regardless of how they would separate the player base. So, you should probably get a more qualified person to answer the question regarding the quality of the maps.

What have you been playing? Skyrim I would guess...

wwm0nkey

In my opinion it all goes back to the sales of Reach. Game under performed.

For Halo: Reach it kind of seems like Microsoft thought it would sell on just Halo alone, was not a huge marketing push for it and there was almost no push for CEA either.

Halo 4 NEEDS to have a Halo 3 level marketing push.

Hydranockz has never watched a single minute of a Halo Council (hence him believing it's all pro players who talk about MLG the whole time). That kid loves talking out of his ass more than anything in the whole world. Ignore him.

I love the attitudes some people have towards both Halo dying and MLG. When is it time to be concerned?

Ok so if Halo leaves the MLG circuit - nothing to worry about, that's just a small subset of the population that will stop playing.
Ok so Halo is 7th on the XBL activity - hey nothing to worry about they're doing better than Gears.
Ok so Anniversary didn't track in the NPD top 10 - nothing to worry about, it's a gift to the fans
Ok so Living Dead has a higher population than any other playlist - nothing to worry about, it had a large population in Halo 3.

I want OT8 to be titled 'In which we bury our heads in the sand'.
Living Dead has had a larger population from Day 1. You're the one with your head in the sand :p

I've struck a nerve and I'm sorry kyle, but I have not needed a single community to play Halo. I have played Reach pretty consistently since launch and, although the playlists I play in shift around, the game is equally as fun now as it was way back when it launched.

I don't need an activity list to tell me Reach is fun. I don't need Frankie to tell me Reach is fun. I don't need MLG (or any community as large as they may be) to tell me Reach is fun.

I won't deny competitive Reach is dying a slow death and is actually trying to be revived by MLG as you might want people to believe.

I just have fun....

QED... Simple as...

Homeboyd

What is the Marketing strategy with Halo 4? Is it sneak up on everyone and go all out...?

1282286351_207.png

Trey

In my opinion it all goes back to the sales of Reach. Game under performed.

Relative to the precedent the other Halos set. Of course, Halo first legitimized FPS' on consoles, then ushered in online gaming on a large scale with Halo 2. Halo 3 rode that wave but by then CoD was challenging the throne. By Reach, unless Halo took a drastic departure from its iconic gameplay structure, it was going to do exactly what it ended up doing.

What could Reach have possibly done differently? Kept Halo 3's ranking system and stifle AAs while killing bloom in a dark alleyway? Nothing would change, saleswise.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
EXACTLY, 343 isn't stupid... so why the silence?

A birdie told me that things aren't going as well as they should be. :/

Trey said:
Relative to the precedent the other Halos set. Of course, Halo first legitimized FPS' on consoles, then ushered in online gaming on a large scale with Halo 2. Halo 3 rode that wave but by then CoD was challenging the throne. By Reach, unless Halo took a drastic departure from its iconic gameplay structure, it was going to do exactly what it ended up doing.

What could Reach have possibly done differently? Kept Halo 3's ranking system and stifle AAs while killing bloom in a dark alleyway? Nothing would change, saleswise.

I was just pointing out that it under performed. There are a ton of reasons why Halo sold less than expectations. I was pointing out the sales as the major reason why population online isn't what it used to be.

Lazslo

So I'm finally getting an Xbox again tomorrow and I'v been setting up my XBL stuff. I was going through all my shit and found a Halo Reach: On-Demand Code- I have the game disc already and since it's Christmas, I wanted to spread the love on HaloGaf. If you're interested, please PM me and I will select someone at random at 11:25pm Est time (10 mins). If you get the code, please pay it forward and give someone else something awesome for Christmas that maybe you weren't already planning on. Cheers.

Merry Christmas guys

kylej

Banned
Hydranockz said:
I won't deny competitive Reach is dying a slow death and is actually trying to be revived by MLG as you might want people to believe.

If you think the competitive Halo community is the one most in trouble, I got news for you. The hardcore competitive Halo player isn't the one buying millions of copies of COD and Battlefield, it's the guys who used to play Halo.

Top Bottom