• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Thermite

UMYU5.png

Edit: Plywood, this thread needs a lot more Daenerys. :p

Karl2177

Frank/Ellis/whomever may be interested: I will get a random error from the waypoint app on ios after using the XBL iOS app. It then signs me out of the Waypoint app. Solutions?

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
Frank/Ellis/whomever may be interested: I will get a random error from the waypoint app on ios after using the XBL iOS app. It then signs me out of the Waypoint app. Solutions?

Random error? Do you mean it's a different error each time? Please send me a PM.

My last 3 games of MLG was just me having host and playing decent, easiest wins ever.

As good as the netcode is in Reach, it's really just hiding the fact that internet still rules the game.

Still getting 25/6 Tashi. I dunno if I'll go higher since I can already stream and play and grab host all day.

Kyle your new internet is wasted because all you do is watch Formal stream. Start playing Halo.

Gui_PT

Random error? Do you mean it's a different error each time? Please send me a PM.

Frank/Ellis/whomever may be interested: I will get a random cold feeling from my brain after using the outside world. It stops if I wear something warm like a hoodie. Solutions?

Nutter

Similar to the above complaint, I cant seem to stay connected to Waypoint on xbox for more than a couple minutes, it keeps saying "cannot connect to servers" or something like that and then proceeds to reset the application back to the main start page.

For every University | FIOS connection, we have several connections like the one Tunavi posted. Pathetic Upload, and then people wonder why their games are laggy.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My last 3 games of MLG was just me having host and playing decent, easiest wins ever.

As good as the netcode is in Reach, it's really just hiding the fact that internet still rules the game.

Still getting 25/6 Tashi. I dunno if I'll go higher since I can already stream and play and grab host all day.

Kyle your new internet is wasted because all you do is watch Formal stream. Start playing Halo.

How about you play it more often and get matched against similarly ranked kids. Don't give me that it's so easy shit.

That is weird that it's maxed out at 6 up. I would call Verizon and tell them that you just got this shit and it's already not living up to what you're paying for. That's BS.

edit: Also found the verizon sponsorship submission form. They want like a full fuckin presentation. Oh well, time to get to work I guess.

Company name: Campus Safety

Awwwwwwww yeaaaaaa

Blinding

1383092794.png

An old speedtest since my internet has been fucking up the past couple of days. I wish I had FiOs, the speeds you can get are ridiculous. I'm stuck with Charter until they expand into our area though, which the rumor is will be within 6 months or so.

Is this the page where 343 give away goodies cuz I totally just turned 22 about half an hour ago. You'll note that 343 minus 22 is 321... so yeah... Large please :p

Karl2177

I probably shouldn't have used random to describe it. In any case, check your PMs.

Don't forget you can win a download code for the Halo Anniversary soundtrack. I'll pick one randomly later this day.

Heck, the soundtrack is pretty good.
As I was cleaning out my iTunes Library, I thought of this post. Are you going to wait for more entrants? Because it was Homeboyd, Robbert, and myself.

Its giving me a bit more than I pay for. These are the Verizon FiOS speeds.

untitled-26.png

You probably have the higher ones.

Lol at Trueskill comment too. That shit doesn't have code behind it.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n97/xxjuicesxx/untitled-26.png[IMG]

Lol at Trueskill comment too. That shit doesn't have code behind it.[/QUOTE]

Ahh ok, I thought you were getting 25/25.

I probably shouldn't have used random to describe it. In any case, check your PMs.

As I was cleaning out my iTunes Library, I thought of this post. Are you going to wait for more entrants? Because it was Homeboyd, Robbert, and myself.
Nope. I said there was a deadline. But sorry blame Tor books for releasing Primordium today.

So you guys get a number. 1.) Karl, 2.) Homeboyd and 3.) Robbert. (Number given after post times)

And the winner is:
JABqb.jpg

Check your PM homeboyd!

MrBig

untitled-26.png

Lol at Trueskill comment too. That shit doesn't have code behind it.

I have the 25/25 packaged with TV and phone for $90/m. I don't use the TV or phone at all myself, but others do. Actual rates are more like 30/20. Throughput and system bandwidth is fantastic. Very happy with it.

feel

Tunavi said:
Dear Tashi0106,
We appreciate your interest, but we're looking for players who can consistently come through with the overkill. Sorry.
-The Verizon Marketing Team
:lol ruthless

blamite

Oh god, Heavies is coming back? Ugh. Without Choppers I get the feeling it's just going to be the "get spawn killed by Warthogs" gametype.

Computron

Anyone ever imagine what Reach would have been like if Steve Cotton wouldn't have tried
to combine all those various maps into ForgeWorld
?

I think we could have ended up with a lot more variety in matchmaking.

Several months back before Anniversary came out I made a thread on B.net where I
counted all the maps in rotation on Matchmaking and ended up with this stat: Only %16 of
the maps in MM were unique maps
as opposed to variants of ForgeWorld or alternative
versions of the other maps.

That is if you count both map packs out at the time which rarely get any exposure in
standard matchmaking. Even when you enter the DLC playlists, there will always be people
voting for Hemorrhage (Why was that even an option in a DLC playlist?). Even if we
include Anniversary maps, how often do you see those outside of the underpopulated
Anniversary playlists? I think in practice, the apperent number of unique maps are much less,
if you factor in how the maps are ordered in the voting line-up and what players actually tend to vote on.

IDK about the rest of you but if I enter BTB alone,
chances are that no matter what I vote on I will play forge world variants about 90% of the time.

How many maps do you see that truly use the massive expanse of ForgeWorld in a
meaningful manner? Would anyone rather have the unique version of Blood Gulch,
Assension, Paradiso, Santcuary, etc... that were originally planned
, even if it meant no ForgeWorld?

Personally, I am a little sick of blue skys, green grass and cold metal forerunner forge pieces...

Anyone got non-Forge World Heavies variants they want to submit?

Speaking of which, bulletin today?

I know realize that its not Wednesday lol.

[ Would anyone rather have the unique version of Blood Gulch,

Without a doubt, yes.

Maybe it could of gotten us a Sanctuary remake that wasn't horrifyingly bad.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Similar to the above complaint, I cant seem to stay connected to Waypoint on xbox for more than a couple minutes, it keeps saying "cannot connect to servers" or something like that and then proceeds to reset the application back to the main start page.

Yeah I've been trying to say the same thing to the Waypoint twitter account multiple times, but I've been getting ignored from that account for months now for some reason so I just have to deal with it. Same goes with Waypoint forum issues (using IE9).

Tunavi

Banned
Reach would have been much better without Forge World.

However, they couldn't fit all those extra maps on the disk = therefore, Forge World happened.

Congrats on getting a perfection in a game which is the easiest of all to get a perfection in.
pretty rude

However, they couldn't fit all those extra maps on the disk = therefore, Forge World happened.

No, didn't Forge World happen because Cotton was using the maps all put together into the forge world during development to make changes to them faster and then over time realized that they could actually ship the map as one single map? Don't recall it having to do with disc space.

Computron

Halo reach comes down to about 6.6GB in the final version with ~.3 gigs of padding.
But even if it was an issue they could have used more of the existing textures from
campaign and firefight maps or more compression. You can make a map look pretty
unique without a lot of memory.

Now that I think about it, audio takes up the most space, but %90 is campaign dialog,
I would rather have the maps.

Just look how big the DLC pack are.

Also, was it Cable or Cotton? I forget.

FyreWulff

Anyone ever imagine what Reach would have been like if Jon Cable wouldn't have tried
to combine all those various maps into ForgeWorld
?

I think we could have ended up with a lot more variety in matchmaking.

First, I don't think it was Jon Cable. It was Barney Steve Cotton (from what I remember).

Secondly, even if Forge World had maintained itself as separated maps, they would have still all looked like they did now, just the other FW areas would have been part of the skybox instead of playspace. The reason you can put a crap ton of pieces on FW maps in the first place is due to the simplicity of the objects and the map. Versus maps like Damnation which are loaded to the gills on graphics and have like.. one placable scenery object.

In addition, the uniform color makes them LOD fairly well at a distance and prevents maps looking wrong when the host forgets to set their color correctly. You may not have noticed it but Sandbox was basically one color (brown) so that things would LOD well and be less intensive to draw. Even though Sandbox pieces looked somewhat detailed, when you look at the edge of some pieces you can just see that it's convincing parallax mapping and they were actually a simple cube or rectangular prism.

They had a limited time and space for new art to add. You may notice that there's no map since that has actually made completely new Forge World pieces, they just ctrl-c FW's pieces to other maps, especially Tempest. Consider at this point some of the pieces are ALREADY literally taken from Halo 1 and Halo 2.

blamite

How many maps do you see that truly use the massive expanse of ForgeWorld in a
meaningful manner? Would anyone rather have the unique version of Blood Gulch,

Personally, I am a little sick of blue skys, green grass and cold metal forerunner forge pieces...

I thought that in one of the prerelease interviews it was mentioned that all of the forge maps would have had the same Halo aesthetic, and that you would be able to see each location from each of the others as you can now, but they just would have been separated into separate maps. If that was the case, and doing it that way wouldn't have led to more unique forge pieces, I think we're much better off with what we have now. It's not great, but would the alternative really have been much better? People say Bungie was lazy with Forge World, but would have splitting it into smaller chunks have led to a great deal of extra effort being put into those chunks?

EDIT: dammit Furewulf

First, I don't think it was Jon Cable. It was Barney Cotton (from what I remember).

Secondly, even if Forge World had maintained itself as separated maps, they would have still all looked like they did now, just the other FW areas would have been part of the skybox instead of playspace. The reason you can put a crap ton of pieces on FW maps in the first place is due to the simplicity of the objects and the map. Versus maps like Damnation which are loaded to the gills on graphics and have like.. one placable scenery object.

In addition, the uniform color makes them LOD fairly well at a distance and prevents maps looking wrong when the host forgets to set their color correctly. You may not have noticed it but Sandbox was basically one color (brown) so that things would LOD well and be less intensive to draw. Even though Sandbox pieces looked somewhat detailed, when you look at the edge of some pieces you can just see that it's convincing parallax mapping and they were actually a simple cube or rectangular prism.

They had a limited time and space for new art to add. You may notice that there's no map since that has actually made completely new Forge World pieces, they just ctrl-c FW's pieces to other maps, especially Tempest.

Steve Cotton

FyreWulff

I thought that in one of the prerelease interviews it was mentioned that all of the forge maps would have had the same Halo aesthetic, and that you would be able to see each location from each of the others as you can now, but they just would have been separated into separate maps. If that was the case, and doing it that way wouldn't have led to more unique forge pieces, I think we're much better off with what we have now. It's not great, but would the alternative really have been much better? People say Bungie was lazy with Forge World, but would have splitting it into smaller chunks have led to a great deal of extra effort being put into those chunks?

EDIT: dammit Furewulf

That and it wouldn't have really helped with framerate either. At a certain distance the imposter system kicks in and those pieces don't really impact the framerate. Backface culling already means that when you're playing on Hemorrhage, the 360 is not rendering the Island or Asylum anyway. They use tricks and clever modeling to think it's a big world, but if you take close note even the opening in the cliffs on Hem doesn't show the rest of the map.

For them to have more variety in pieces they'd need to go the Far Cry route where we can make REAL GEOMETRY(TM) and be able to place vis blockers and such. Any Forge-intensive map under the current system is going to use simply-modeled pieces so that they LOD better at a distance.

edit: thanks Steely
I just realized I got his name mixed up with a Nebraska football staffer

In the end I prefer FW's combined setup as it gives us the freedom to make any scale map we could feasibly want. I went and sized out Rat Race between my FW remake and the Anniversary maps, and not even Headlong or Tombstone have a big enough continous open space to put it on them, and Timberlands is an immediate no-go due to the trees and low kill ceiling.

Nutter

pretty rude

Too bad people cant be as bad as you, that getting a perfection in Reach seems good.

Top Bottom