• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Dani, I just posted this at HBO but I'd like to discuss it here too:

Maybe I should tweak the way Betrayal strikes punish players (and more importantly how they decay).

If you betray someone and they choose Punish:

Strike One
- Your next five respawns in that game take an extra 1 second.
- Your Game Complete bonus (for that game only) is reduced by 10%.

When you start your next matchmaking game, you are still at Strike One (no matter how long the first game took). There are no negative effects for this new game unless you betray someone and get punished - you go straight to Strike Two and its negative effects.

Quitting your second game will not make Strike One go away - you have to finish a matchmaking game for it to completely disappear.

Strike Two
- Your next ten respawns in the game you earn Strike Two take an extra 3 seconds.
- Your Game Complete bonus (for that game only) is reduced by 25%.

So in order for you to downgrade a Strike you have to complete a matchmaking game without betraying anyone.

Strike Three boots you out of a game and locks you out of team-based matchmaking for 20 minutes (regardless of how close the game was to ending), after which you are still at Strike Three. You have to complete one game to be downgraded to Strike Two, and complete another to go down to Strike One (meaning you are one betrayal away from being booted for two games).

Thoughts?

Dani, I just posted this at HBO but I'd like to discuss it here too:

Maybe I should tweak the way Betrayal strikes punish players (and more importantly how they decay).

If you betray someone and they choose Punish:

Strike One
- Your next five respawns in that game take an extra 1 second.
- Your Game Complete bonus (for that game only) is reduced by 10%.

When you start your next matchmaking game, you are still at Strike One (no matter how long the first game took). There are no negative effects for this new game unless you betray someone and get punished - you go straight to Strike Two and its negative effects.

Quitting your second game will not make Strike One go away - you have to finish a matchmaking game for it to completely disappear.

Strike Two
- Your next ten respawns in the game you earn Strike Two take an extra 3 seconds.
- Your Game Complete bonus (for that game only) is reduced by 25%.

So in order for you to downgrade a Strike you have to complete a matchmaking game without betraying anyone.

Strike Three boots you out of a game and locks you out of team-based matchmaking for 20 minutes (regardless of how close the game was to ending), after which you are still at Strike Three. You have to complete one game to be downgraded to Strike Two, and complete another to go down to Strike One (meaning you are one betrayal away from being booted for two games).

Thoughts?

See, while that sounds interesting, I think it isn't harsh enough for those who are purposely team killing in a match. At the same time, Reach has seen a lot more accidental betrayals IMO, so some changes to the system would be nice. How about Strike 1 has its same effect per match if someone punishes, and if they team kill again they get booted? But yeah, its a tough call on how changes should be made.

GhaleonEB

There weren't any bullshit deaths in Halo 2? What, so modders, stand-byers, and people who used the assortment of weapon glitches don't count?

Oho!
Not what I was talking about, nor did I say that. Halo 2's glitches were very problematic. I cited Halo 3 in my contrasts for a reason.

Good luck, Cyclone!

I'd love to see stats on this - I don't believe this is the case. (It's been well over a year since I played Halo 3 regularly, but my RECOLLECTION is that there were just as many quitters there as I see now in Reach.)
I agree with you, but I know that quitters in Reach frustrate me a lot more than they did in H3, where a quitter on either side will have a larger impact on my enjoyment of the match than they did previously.

I've pretty much put Reach aside, possibly for good with small exceptions. I realised that I really was only playing to enjoy playing with Hydra, Zalin, Xand, Hyper, Elzar, Over etc and that I was really not enjoying the game.
There are better games I can playing.

That being said, totally ordered Primordium. Held off buying it instore as they only had the Paperback.

FyreWulff

I tried to take one of those stickers off once. MS wasn't joking, that thing does not come off.

I can tell just by looking at it that it's one of those stickers that holds on for dear life.

Also so much for Reach for me tonight, my Rock Band pro guitar is here!

E E E E E E E E E E

Not what I was talking about, nor did I say that. Halo 2's glitches were very problematic. I cited Halo 3 in my contrasts for a reason.
Where in my post did I give the impression that my comment was directed at your post? :/ Hell, I didn't even see your post until I looked back over the last page.

I was taking aim at Striker's "Bullshit deaths. Halo MP 2007-present day." There were plenty of 'em in H2.

GhaleonEB

Where in my post did I give the impression that my comment was directed at your post? :/ Hell, I didn't even see your post until I looked back over the last page.

I was taking aim at Striker's "Bullshit deaths. Halo MP 2007-present day." There were plenty of 'em in H2.

I had just brought the topic up and wrote a long post about it, so I assumed it was directed at me. Just quote the person you are responding to next time. :p

What on earth.

Three times now I've tried to get in a game of Reach and it's dumped me out into a party of one as soon as the game is about to start.

CyReN

u1ZcO.png

Louis Wu

What on earth.

Three times now I've tried to get in a game of Reach and it's dumped me out into a party of one as soon as the game is about to start.
This was happening to my son - had to do with DLC, somehow. The game thought he had it during the setup phase - so he was allowed to vote, etc. When the countdown happened, though, another check happened, and even though the map was loaded, the game decided he didn't have permission to use it - so it booted him as the rest of us went into that first blackscreen.

This was happening to my son - had to do with DLC, somehow. The game thought he had it during the setup phase - so he was allowed to vote, etc. When the countdown happened, though, another check happened, and even though the map was loaded, the game decided he didn't have permission to use it - so it booted him as the rest of us went into that first blackscreen.
Yeah, I restarted the game, made sure DLC had loaded by going into a custom by myself, and after that all was well. Good looking out, Wu.

Homeboyd

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxhxmcreDC1qmppuu.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
lol

Just curious.. what was the nic cage in reference to?

I have a friend who LOVES nicholas cage and all his shitty movies and I've just never figured it out.. he always says "DUDE! He's an academy award winner!" And he always has those stupid fucking one-liners "Im here to save the fucking day" or something like that...

Something about his face. His FACE. I just want to punch him in his face... so bad. I HATE HIM!

DAMMIT I HATE HIM SO MUCH!

Edit: Just got my SECOND perfection today and 3rd in the past 2 days! I NEVER get perfections.. Think I doubled my entire Halo Reach career's worth in the past 2 days. He's on FIYAAAHHHH

ElRenoRaven

Oh no. Teh Haloz is doomed!!!!

Halo, goodbye

Meet the man who quit Xbox’s flagship franchise and went indie

And yet, by last August, he had quit. Davis described the decision calmly, as if he was choosing between 2 percent or whole milk. “As good as the story was and is going to be for Halo 4, it still is a game that’s a first-person shooter where the main action you do is you shoot stuff. I just don’t see how it’s possible to tell a story, at least the way I want to tell it, with that as the dominant interaction.”

Hmm is Halo the 2 percent or whole milk? Cause I like 2 percent milk the best.

it still is a game that’s a first-person shooter where the main action you do is you shoot stuff. I just don’t see how it’s possible to tell a story, at least the way I want to tell it, with that as the dominant interaction.

Im curious what his idea's where, and with Halo being so diverse im sure his ideas would work well in a side game, but let the core games carry on doing what they are best at. If the guy wanted to take Halo from being a shooter then im glad they didnt listen to him. Is it fair to infer that he sounds dissapointed by the fact that the main action is shooting stuff?

I disagree with him and many other people on Gaf who keep wanting Halo to change from the formulae it works so well at. In that "which are you more excited about" thread, a whole lot of people are saying they want Halo 4 to do something different . I just dont get it, if you like Halo for Halo surely you wouldnt want it to change too drastically?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Nicholas Cage is the only actor I hate more than Andrew Garfield.

ElRenoRaven

Can't fault the guy for following his dreams :)

"Game" looks intresting.

Oh I don't fault him either. I'm just mainly making fun of the fact that somewhere there is someone posting that Halo is doomed right now because another has left 343.

ALERT KOTAKU!!! HALO 4 is a shooter!!!!

No but seriously, if thing guy wanted to take Halo from being a shooter then im glad they didnt listen to him. Is it fair to infer that he sounds dissapointed by the fact that the main action is shooting stuff?

Im curious what his idea's where, and with Halo being so diverse im sure his ideas would work well in a side game, but let the core games carry on doing what they are best at.

I disagree with his and many other people on Gaf who keep wanting Halo to change from the formulae it works so well at. A whole lot of people are saying they want Halo 4 to do something different in that "which are you more excited about" thread. I just dont get it, if you like Halo for Halo surely you wouldnt want it to change too drastically?

I'm with you. I play Halo for Halo. I don't mind if side games play with the formula with things like hub worlds, etc but for me keep the main games true to Halo. Give me levels with a beginning and end. If I want to play open world games I'll play those side games or other series that are open world games.

Quitting
-Short term punishment:
1. Loss of a real amount of credits. What would be equivalent to one or two challenges ~3-5K.
2.In social a carbon copy of your player will be spawned allowing for your player to earn deaths if social hoppers are to be kept statistic-tracked. Preventing 4v1 long drawn out boring games. Preferably social will become drop-in drop-out so these cc's can be replaced by real players. You still get to have your glorious moments of beating teams down a player/s in Ranked, if you are Juices enough.
-Midterm punishment
1. Short one hour quit ban after a third quit in a day.
-Long term punishment
1. Trended towards being matched with other quitters more often. A Naughty List.

Betrayels
Social: Turn off friendly fire. Its social. Games dont count. Let players play.

Ranked: Stop basing it on Kills. People have smartened up and just shoot you until you lose shields now so you don't have a chance at winning but can't boot them. Say shields are 100 points worth of damage and health is another 100, after ~400 points of damage allow for the booting of said player. This allows for two whole betrayels. Afer being booted for the next 30 minutes it will allow for 200 points of damage (one betrayel). All betrayel boots will count as a quit. Penalizing credits and eventually leading to a timeout quit-ban.

Yes people will be able to step in front of you on purpose but thats a lot harder. Perhaps you can only boot a couple people a day also. So people can only abuse that a few times if they were to be successful.

TheOddOne

Oh I don't fault him either. I'm just mainly making fun of the fact that somewhere there is someone posting that Halo is doomed right now because another has left 343.

I'm with you. I play Halo for Halo. I don't mind if side games play with the formula with things like hub worlds, etc but for me keep the main games true to Halo. Give me levels with a beginning and end. If I want to play open world games I'll play those side games or other series that are open world games.
Count me too in the crowd of why the hell are people expecting something else. Look at all the reboots turning one genre into another genre and the rage it has caused.

You want Mass Effect? Go fucking play Mass Effect. Thanks.

If such a person exists then their stupidity is not worth thinking about.
It's a fairly positive article for Halo 4 I'd say - "Halo 4 is a shooter where they've been trying hard to give it a good narrative." is what I get from his comments.

His game sounds pretty interesting too.

heckfu

Banned
Terrible idea.

I think that may be a good point. With nades being the strength they are it would just increase that spamming and and rocket spamming with no consequence. It makes that skill gap evennnn more thin.

But I guess if you don't want to deal with it just go to ranked.

Oh, the decisions!

Yea it is social... skill gap is pretty irrelevant. Remember our trueskill meme here?

Although it wouldn't work. You'd get douchebags holding (literally - not unlimited slayer style) the objective forever not scoring, especially if they find a spot out of map. Hmmm.

feel

Also if you guys are interested in how real football is played, the SEC...err...BCS title games on in 30 minutes.
Already watched earlier today Thierry Henry entering the pitch for Arsenal one more time and grab the winning goal, but thanks anyways.

Oh no. Teh Haloz is doomed!!!!

Halo, goodbye

Meet the man who quit Xbox’s flagship franchise and went indie

Hmm is Halo the 2 percent or whole milk? Cause I like 2 percent milk the best.

Hmm interesting. Guy certainly has a vision, a shame to see a guy leave the project because they didn't want to implement enough narrative into the project as he wanted.

Confirmed: Haloz 4 sux! :p

Also if you guys are interested in how real football is played, the SEC...err...BCS title games on in 30 minutes.

Already watched the national championship game, it was called the Fiesta bowl.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHIIIIIIIIIT

Top Bottom