• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

Risen

Real men play Recon

Also, I'm getting more and more convinced I should pick up the MLG Controller. I think once I get the chance I'm going to jump all over it. I was also thinking about the 100$ price point and at first it seemed so far out there but I paid 120 for my Fight Stick and I had no problem doing that. I'll definitely be using the MLG controller more than I use the fight stick so I'll definitely get my moneys worth. Also, I love all the shit it comes with including the traveling case. Very well done.

If someone could guarantee that it would be a great package that would not need replacing in 6 months due to use or some mechanical failure... I'd think about it. I know people rave about their fight sticks - and those are in service for a long time without the need to replace.

After having tried the Onza controller and being completely disappointed... I'm just not sure I can stomach throwing a hundy at another controller. When I'm playing a lot, I definitely go through a new MS controller 3-4 times a year so if the MLG controller is all it's advertised to be, it might make sense.

For me, either the price needs to drop, or I'll need some months of reviews before throwing down.

Tawpgun

Is HaloGAF interested in getting the new SSX? I'll wait until reviews, but its looking amazing so far.

That's looking to be my only upcoming purchase. ME3 and Bioshock I can borrow.

Ramirez

lol, Infinite is listed as an August placeholder date you dolt.

Zero, why haven't you played Bioshock? Easily one of the top 5 best games of this gen.

wwm0nkey

Is HaloGAF interested in getting the new SSX? I'll wait until reviews, but its looking amazing so far.

my February/March list is SSX, ACV, Silent Hill HD, ME3 and Max Payne 3

SSX is looking very amazing though.

I'll be rocking a BTB lobby in about 2 hours, I already got a few Forge Hub, Blueprint, a HaloGAFer and some randoms from the internet to play.
It'd be cool if more of you showed up, we'll be testing BTB Heavy variants so don't expect any mlg ZBNS ultra hardcorez shitz ;)

Currently I have the following maps:
Hemmorhage Heavy, Breakpoint Heavy and Spire Heavy, two Tempest variants, Hivemind Heavy (FW) and Sandbar Heavy (FW).

So that's it, get your ass ready and get ready for some explosion fuelled action and experience my shitty english skills.

Tawpgun

ooo forgot about ACV. Might not get it on launch, but maybe eventually if I like reviews and the supposedly Chromehounds-esque multiplayer mode.

wwm0nkey

ooo forgot about ACV. Might not get it on launch, but maybe eventually if I like reviews and the supposedly Chromehounds-esque multiplayer mode.

it is chomehounds online mode on a bigger scale, each group gets their own territory and if no one is online you can be a mercenary for hire for other groups.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
If someone could guarantee that it would be a great package that would not need replacing in 6 months due to use or some mechanical failure... I'd think about it. I know people rave about their fight sticks - and those are in service for a long time without the need to replace.

After having tried the Onza controller and being completely disappointed... I'm just not sure I can stomach throwing a hundy at another controller. When I'm playing a lot, I definitely go through a new MS controller 3-4 times a year so if the MLG controller is all it's advertised to be, it would might make sense.

For me, either the price needs to drop, or I'll need some months of reviews before throwing down.

WTF you go through that many controllers? Last summer was the first 360 remote I purchased since launch lol. I have faith in Madcatz now. Premium quality products.

paging MarkMan :p

The only games I'll get are Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Mass Effect 3. Waiting for price drop: KoA. I don't really care about the other titles. Maybe I'll check out AC because of Mechs. But I want to pick up Astros at PAX East. (I hope astro will have a booth this time.) Talkin' about the Spring line up.

Karl2177

Zero, why haven't you played Bioshock? Easily one of the top 5 best games of this gen.

Huh. Last I knew it was coming out 1 week before ME3. But I haven't been paying attention to it since E3.

Just played my second ever game of the new DLC playlist. AR starts on Breakpoint with vanilla settings! I doubt I'll return to the playlist.

So frustrated at the playlist management thus far from 343.

Flipyap

The only games I'll get are Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Mass Effect 3. Waiting for price drop: KoA. I don't really care about the other titles. Maybe I'll check out AC because of Mechs. But I want to pick up Astros at PAX East. (I hope astro will have a booth this time.)

Boycott Mass Effect 3. Don't support human supremacists!

Yea we played 3 more Squad DLC games last night and by the end everyone was yelling at me to switch playlists lol. Shit is bad.

Most of the DLC maps are huge like 8v8+ huge. Halos about spawning shooting people and respawning not walking around maps for 15-30 seconds to find people. Thats just basic common knowledge.

Doesn't seem to have a playlist section/name yet in Bungie.net stats either.

Risen

WTF you go through that many controllers? Last summer was the first 360 remote I purchased since launch lol. I have faith in Madcatz now. Premium quality products.

paging MarkMan :p

NOWAY!

It's that kung fu grip. I wear sticks out like mad. Some of it also depends on the game. Halo for instance; it's easier for me to use one of my old controllers with worn sticks due to the input lag and lower frame rate. I won't "feel" the lack of response or inconsistency in the stick near as much. Put that same controller in for MW3 with faster frame rate and zero input lag and it's unplayable.

Lastly... I'm weird.

GhaleonEB

History of Forge.

In Reach, anyway. I built, tested and iterated five maps to completion in Halo 3's Forge. I completed one map in Reach, and one about 2/3 through the iteration process (before GAF customs collapsed and testers evaporated, along with my interest).

Despite the improved tool set, the underlying game just wasn't as fun, and harder to make good maps for. A lack of good places to build didn't help, I had a ton of ideas, none of which I could build on Forge World.

I am all about SSX.

I wasn't allowed to get it when it came out, and I just haven't gotten around to it yet

Nutter

Sure if Recon has been disabled in the build.

tumblr_l8tzw1LtPg1qaq1gu.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
NOWAY!

It's that kung fu grip. I wear sticks out like mad. Some of it also depends on the game. Halo for instance; it's easier for me to use one of my old controllers with worn sticks due to the input lag and lower frame rate. I won't "feel" the lack of response or inconsistency in the stick near as much. Put that same controller in for MW3 with faster frame rate and zero input lag and it's unplayable.

Lastly... I'm weird.

The truth comes out

Where the fuck ya been man? Haven't seen you on Halo or in the thread. Figured you'd be all over the No Bloom No Sprint MLG Update.

Homeboyd

I'll be rocking a BTB lobby in about 2 hours, I already got a few Forge Hub, Blueprint, a HaloGAFer and some randoms from the internet to play.
It'd be cool if more of you showed up, we'll be testing BTB Heavy variants so don't expect any mlg ZBNS ultra hardcorez shitz ;)

Currently I have the following maps:
Hemmorhage Heavy, Breakpoint Heavy and Spire Heavy, two Tempest variants, Hivemind Heavy (FW) and Sandbar Heavy (FW).

So that's it, get your ass ready and get ready for some explosion fuelled action and experience my shitty english skills.
Im on now if you want to run through a couple quickly.. I will hurry back from the gym as fast as I can to join up later if possible.

Yea we played 3 more Squad DLC games last night and by the end everyone was yelling at me to switch playlists lol. Shit is bad.

Most of the DLC maps are huge like 8v8+ huge. Halos about spawning shooting people and respawning not walking around maps for 15-30 seconds to find people. Thats just basic common knowledge.

Doesn't seem to have a playlist section/name yet in Bungie.net stats either.

For sure. I can't see 6v6 AR starts on Breakpoint having much longevity. Another waste of a playlist (this time with additional paid content...)

And Barrow Roll posted already the products of McFarlane's first Halo 4 figure wave a few months ago(without pics).
I was not aware that I did this.

And on the topic of control schemes, I play Bumper Recon.

That's Recon with Jump and Melee set on the extra mappable buttons on the Razer Onza.

I like the Razer Onza. It has a different feel and can be off putting to use before getting used to it but I love the extra bumpers and the mouse-click style face buttons. Too bad about the crappy build quality, I'm on my 2nd replacement unit but so far this one seems fine.

I'm pretty alone on this, but other than the problem of space, I think there is a different solution to forge.

It became too easy...

You need to bring back a little bit of difficulty some how, or simplify it more.

I'm struggling to put it into words, do you get what I mean?

Also, keep it a map editor, no map creators.

I'm pretty alone on this, but other than the problem of space, I think there is a different solution to forge.

It became too easy...

You need to bring back a little bit of difficulty some how, or simplify it more.

I'm struggling to put it into words, do you get what I mean?

Also, keep it a map editor, no map creators.
What in the hell...

If forge were to become a map creator, it would get even more un popular.

If you give a player, consumer, or customer, too much choice, you are hurting your product.

Now I'm not saying make it more simple than halo 3, but you need to give them pieces to work with, and let them work in that space. You will see much more maps created, and they will be more creative. A lot of these great mini games happen because people have to do something awesome with the pieces they have been given.

Karl2177

If forge were to become a map creator, it would get even more un popular.

If you give a player, consumer, or customer, too much choice, you are hurting your product.

Now I'm not saying make it more simple than halo 3, but you need to give them pieces to work with, and let them work in that space. You will see much more maps created, and they will be more creative. A lot of these great mini games happen because people have to do something awesome with the pieces they have been given.

No. Is your education level that of a 5 year old's?

Think of it like this.

We don't want to over simplify it to hurt the creativity of a player, but a little bit of limitation will inspire the player to think outside the box, and be more creative.

It also adds a challenge to building.
I'm sorry but that is just some silly line of thinking. Making Forgers jump through hoops doesn't inspire more creative stuff, it's just frustrating for Forgers.

Risen

The truth comes out

Where the fuck ya been man? Haven't seen you on Halo or in the thread. Figured you'd be all over the No Bloom No Sprint MLG Update.

Awww after the update hit I played some. Definitely the new MLG settings are the most playable settings Reach has seen since release - at least for competitive play (although I definitely still like sprint). Problem is... MW3 came out at the same time. I've been playing GB with my team from last year. We hit 6th overall in Black Ops and were top page in every season. I'll be throwing in the Reach disc again soon though. I'd like to hit an event in both MW3 and Halo at some point this year.

Forge and the Forge-palette maps are great introductory tools to video game map design for people who aren't experienced in working with more complex tools. Anyone can go into Halo 3 or Reach and make a map.

You guys don't get it. You don't want to make anything frustrating for the players.

Sigh.

I'm hoping someone comes along and understands.

So tell me, how would you take a full on map creator and make that work with the game? How do you get maps into matchmaking? How much loss in map size will we have.

Forge and the Forge-palette maps are great introductory tools to video game map design for people who aren't experienced in working with more complex tools. Anyone can go into Halo 3 or Reach and make a map.

this too.

Think of it like this.

We don't want to over simplify it to hurt the creativity of a player, but a little bit of limitation will inspire the player to think outside the box, and be more creative.

It also adds a challenge to building.

Halo has always had very simple mechanics and the beauty is that they work so well together that the game just becomes more fun. When movement and exploration isn't hampered, you get speedruns and Easter eggs in odd places. When physics works you get trick jumps and ninjas. Bungie gave us simple toys with a playground to use them in. Nothing is 'too easy' :p

Halo has always had very simple mechanics and the beauty is that they work so well together that the game just becomes more fun. When movement and exploration isn't hampered, you get speedruns and Easter eggs in odd places. When physics works you get trick jumps and ninjas. Bungie gave us simple toys with a playground to use them in. Nothing is 'too easy' :p

Exactly, I'm glad I'm not alone here.

You replace the archaic confines of Bungie/343 controlled matchmaking.

This isn't an answer at all.

You would actually have to have people working at 343 dedicated to making sure this map inst broken, and that's a lot harder when its from a map creator, and not a map editor. It then becomes harder for players to keep track of each map that gets put in, it becomes crowded.

Karl2177

You guys don't get it. You don't want to make anything frustrating for the players.

Sigh.

I'm hoping someone comes along and understands.

So tell me, how would you take a full on map creator and make that work with the game? How do you get maps into matchmaking? How much loss in map size will we have.

this too.

Right now, aside from the lack of palettes for the art of a map, the biggest issue is the pieces we are limited to. We need more than just 1x1 blocks and 5x5 flat pieces to make a map. The other pieces aren't extremely helpful to building a play space.

Top Bottom