• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Reach |OT7| What are They to Say Now?

monome

FyreWulff said:
Enjoy your 3 Firefight skulls locked out because you didn't buy the Mattrick Edition of Halo 4. Just like Anniversary's pre-order only skull, they'll be rehashes of Halo 2 skulls added to sell a few more copies at launch.

413152-2003793496_large.jpg

Value add.

?FX2#-#4D74-426DQ-H??CM-TW6#Z

quote for answer key

answer key?

stephen08

Locking out content that is connected to gameplay at all is an annoying practice. I can appreciate that this was done outside of the main game but it should be something that is made widely available to everyone at some point. And yeah, it's hard to care if you aren't in to the campaign but imagine if this was a specific game mode in MP. Like say Stockpile. Sure it's an extra mode that isn't integral to the matchmaking experience but it would be hard not to feel slighted if you got in to the game later.

Pre-order bonuses should be done as aesthetic enhancements only. Even then, it's hard to support such ideas and I feel like it should be made free after enough time has passed.

FyreWulff said:
Enjoy your 3 Firefight skulls locked out because you didn't buy the Mattrick Edition of Halo 4. Just like Anniversary's pre-order only skull, they'll be rehashes of Halo 2 skulls added to sell a few more copies at launch.

Value add.

quote for answer key

It's not fair to lock out content to those who haven't bought a NeoGAF activation card.

monome

stephen08 said:
Locking out content that is connected to gameplay at all is an annoying practice. I can appreciate that this was done outside of the main game but it should be something that is made widely available to everyone at some point. And yeah, it's hard to care if you aren't in to the campaign but imagine if this was a specific game mode in MP. Like say Stockpile. Sure it's an extra mode that isn't integral to the matchmaking experience but it would be hard not to feel slighted if you got in to the game earlier.

Pre-order bonuses should be done as aesthetic enhancements only. Even then, it's hard to support such ideas and I feel like it should be made free after enough time has passed.

Yep.

I would have loved some more armor permutations with Halo CE!

SPOILER from Glasslands!!!
Halo 4 with Spartans II, III and IV will have a bazillion of armor options

stephen08

monome said:
Yep.

SPOILER!!!

Might want to say what that is a spoiler for.

(I'm guessing Glasslands but I honestly don't know.)

Or is it even a spoiler or just speculation?

Zoolader

monome said:
Yep.

SPOILER!!!

Speaking of armor... I would love if there was no caution tape on spartan feet or helmets in Halo 4. Also I don't like the addition of the white stripes on every single armor piece available in Reach. Oh yeah the E.V.A. helmet and Security helmet looked way better in Halo 3, bring those back!

oh oh oh and I want emblems back on the shoulder pads!

Striker

Zoolader said:
Never liked them getting removed. Halo 3 had them on your right shoulder pad, but removed them from your back and left shoulder. They also got rid the secondary colors of the team games, like this for example.

Y3jFy.jpg

Sure there's armor permutations, but those things I felt gave off a better uniqueness to Spartans (and Elites) in MP.

FyreWulff

Problem with the secondary colors in Halo 2 is that using blue or red as one of those colors tended to make you look like you were on both teams in certain cases.

I'd demonstrate it with a pic but I can't get any of the third person camera tools to work with H2V.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Striker said:
Never liked them getting removed. Halo 3 had them on your right shoulder pad, but removed them from your back and left shoulder. They also got rid the secondary colors of the team games, like this for example.

Y3jFy.jpg

Sure there's armor permutations, but those things I felt gave off a better uniqueness to Spartans (and Elites) in MP.

I still have this box. Halo 2 Multiplayer Map add-on. Great stuff. :p

Gah, why's the H:CE launch gotta be in Houston? I could have sworn that Rooster Teeth are here in Austin, and I know Certain Affinity is from here. Plus, Houston sucks. Frankie knows what I'm talking about...

Really enjoyed watching the gameplay vid, High Noon looks beautiful.

squidhands said:
Gah, why's the H:CE launch gotta be in Houston? I could have sworn that Rooster Teeth are here in Austin, and I know Certain Affinity is from here. Plus, Houston sucks. Frankie knows what I'm talking about...

At least an event is somewhere in your state. :/

darthbob

FyreWulff said:

413152-2003793496_large.jpg

Value add.

quote for answer key

Darn, missed out on some Cole Train.

daedalius

squidhands said:

Man, I can't wait to move to Austin. Really like that place.

Dax01 said:
At least an event is somewhere in your state. :/
Did you see the part where I mentioned that Houston sucked? Plus it would be a 2-1/2 hour drive on a Monday night, and since I was away from work for a month I can't exactly take any more time off this year. :-(

daedalius, where are you living now? I moved from Houston to here six years ago, and only wish I had moved here sooner.

daedalius

squidhands said:
Did you see the part where I mentioned that Houston sucked? Plus it would be a 2-1/2 hour drive on a Monday night, and since I was away from work for a month I can't exactly take any more time off this year. :-(

daedalius, where are you living now? I moved from Houston to here six years ago, and only wish I had moved here sooner.

You're closer than me, I live in Kansas. My wife has her parents down there (in Dallas), so Austin will be closer to them; and we like it a lot from our several visits.

Now if I could just get rid of this house here...

http://majornelson.com/2011/11/02/live-activity-for-week-of-october-24th/

1 Call of Duty: Black Ops
2 Modern Warfare 2
3 Battlefield 3
4 Gears of War 3
5 FIFA 12
6 Halo: Reach
7 Batman: Arkham City
8 Madden NFL 12
9 Forza Motorsport 4
10 GTA IV
11 Call of Duty 4
12 NBA 2K12
13 FIFA Soccer 11
14 NHL12
15 Halo 3
16 Battlefield: Bad Co. 2
17 Call of Duty: WaW
18 NCAA Football 12
19 Dead Island
20 Red Dead Redemption

Halo Reach fell to 6th, H3 to 15th. LOL @ BF3.

feel

Ramirez said:
lol, good grief.

I'll tell you one thing I love about Halo, and that is its visual clarity. BF3 can be so frustrating because it's nigh impossible to see people under certain conditions. Reach added the crap filter, I want Halo 4 to return to the crisp clean visuals of the past games.
this so much

the blur and grain, and the dark suits make it really hard to scan for enemies compared to previous games. It was yet another fundamental aspect that set Halo appart, which was shat on by bungle.

I honestly find myself more visually pleased when I play Halo 3 than Reach, just because of the clarity and colors.

The Real Napsta said:
http://majornelson.com/2011/11/02/live-activity-for-week-of-october-24th/

1 Call of Duty: Black Ops
2 Modern Warfare 2
3 Battlefield 3
4 Gears of War 3
5 FIFA 12
6 Halo: Reach
7 Batman: Arkham City
8 Madden NFL 12
9 Forza Motorsport 4
10 GTA IV
11 Call of Duty 4
12 NBA 2K12
13 FIFA Soccer 11
14 NHL12
15 Halo 3
16 Battlefield: Bad Co. 2
17 Call of Duty: WaW
18 NCAA Football 12
19 Dead Island
20 Red Dead Redemption

Halo Reach fell to 6th, H3 to 15th. LOL @ BF3.
Prediction: Fifa 12 going to drop when CoD comes out. I'm unsure with GoW3, but I think it will drop to. Definitely I would say December Reach is back in the Top 5.

Pretty incredible that MW 2 still beats Battlefield 3 and Gears of War 3. It seems impossible to dislodge that franchise from the top of the chart.

Letters said:
this so much

the blur and grain, and the dark suits make it really hard to scan for enemies compared to previous games. It was yet another fundamental aspect that set Halo appart, which was shat on by bungle.

I agree with this sentiment that Halo should return to clearer, less muddied visuals.

TheOddOne

Hypertrooper said:
Prediction: Fifa 12 going to drop when CoD comes out. I'm unsure with GoW3, but I think it will drop to. Definitely I would say December Reach is back in the Top 5.
I have to agree with you trooper, it's gonna be back in the top 5 soon.

PooBone

ncsuDuncan said:
It's weird to think that when Greg Bear and Karen Traviss finish their trilogies I'll have twelve Halo novels on my shelf. Thirteen if you count Evolutions as a novel.

Of course, after Halo 5 and 6 come out I'll have eleven game cases on my shelf that say "Halo". (Counting Halo Wars and the Halo 2 map pack.) And that's assuming we don't get another Halo Wars, ODST, or CEA type game.
I have two Xbox copies of Halo 1, Halo PC, Games on Demand Halo: CE, Halo 2 LE, and Halo 2 Vista.

Plus 3, ODST, Reach, and Wars.

so Glasslands is pretty good, eh? i've drifted away from the halo books since Harvest (which was GREAT) so now might be a time to come back.

how do you guys think i'd find cryptum if i'm not used to that style of hard-scifi?

Yeesh. It's a sad time when a Halo game isn't in the top three of XBL. Reach in sixth? :/ 343 needs to get the hype and marketing underway and Halo 4 needs a larger marketing push than Halo 3.

daedalius

oddworld18 said:
so Glasslands is pretty good, eh? i've drifted away from the halo books since Harvest (which was GREAT) so now might be a time to come back.

how do you guys think i'd find cryptum if i'm not used to that style of hard-scifi?

Glasslands was excellent, but you should read Ghosts of Onyx first, since it is basically a straight sequel to that.

Cryptum is pretty hard sci-fi, but I thought it was pretty excellent; starts a little slow though. I still pushed through the whole book in like, 2 days or something... same with Glasslands, heh.

FyreWulff

Dax01 said:
Yeesh. It's a sad time when a Halo game isn't in the top three of XBL. Reach in sixth? :/ 343 needs to get the hype and marketing underway and Halo 4 needs a larger marketing push than Halo 3.

The Major Nelson Top 20 is a poor indicator since the actual UU spread is not shown. As it is, Reach is under the CoDs (which usually rank high) and the 3 other games above it are new. Halo no longer has Live to itself like the 2 and early/mid 3 days.

For all you know the spread between CoD and Reach is a mere 10,000 UUs.

And at that, you can record a 'vote' for each of those games when you put it in during the reporting period. If I put in CoD and Reach into my Xbox and start them up at any point during the week, that's a UU for CoD and a UU for Reach. The people aren't playing the #1 game to the exclusion of any of the other games underneath it on that chart.

i just don't understand the complaining about how SLASO runs are going to be ruined for speed runs, etc. because of a pre-order skull, when the entire system is honor based anyway. i'm pretty sure people will manage.

whether you agree/disagree with locking content, whatever, i just don't think the argument that it splits the user base is even matters here.

i think a skull is just fine. thank you 343 for actually giving people more cool campaign stuff for pre-ordering. i appreciate it. just keep that kind of game altering thing out of multiplayer.

PooBone

minasodaboy said:
i just don't understand the complaining about how SLASO runs are going to be ruined for speed runs, etc. because of a pre-order skull, when the entire system is honor based anyway. i'm pretty sure people will manage.

whether you agree/disagree with locking content, whatever, i just don't think the argument that it splits the user base is even matters.

i think a skull is just fine. thank you 343 for actually giving people more cool campaign stuff for pre-ordering. i appreciate it. just keep that kind of game altering thing out of multiplayer.
I pretty much agree.

TheOddOne

oddworld18 said:

I have not read any Halo books prior to reading Cryptum, so I don't know if my opinion holds any value, but I thought it was pretty good. Little slow in the beginning, but when it gets good it gets good.

Dax01 said:

Why would it be sad? I don't understand this mentality at all, reach has sold a huge amount, but a larger population does not equate to a better quality experience, if anything it's worse.
Although I will admit, I rarely get a decent game with matching players on the other side.

I understand that we as halo fans want to see halo at the top, but I don't see why that should really matter to be honest.

I guess the fear is that the less popular a game is, the less support it get, would that be correct?

At the moment I can't wait for bf3 to drop in population so the quality of players goes up in terms of teamwork, the last couple of months of bc2 were glorious.

Zoolader said:
I miss that too. I tried to capture the effect in a shirt I made for PAX.

thee henery said:
Pretty incredible that MW 2 still beats Battlefield 3 and Gears of War 3. It seems impossible to dislodge that franchise from the top of the chart.
I'm convinced that Activision has a secret underground bunker with stacks of 360s idling MW2.

I really do think it's just the go-to FPS game for people that only buy one new game every few years. Still, it's ridiculous that the Activision's commercials describe MW3 as "the most anticipated game of all time." Really? smh

FyreWulff

ElzarTheBam said:
Why would it be sad? I don't understand this mentality at all, reach has sold a huge amount, but a larger population does not equate to a better quality experience, if anything it's worse.
Although I will admit, I rarely get a decent game with matching players on the other side.

I understand that we as halo fans want to see halo at the top, but I don't see why that should really matter to be honest.

I guess the fear is that the less popular a game is, the less support it get, would that be correct?

At the moment I can't wait for bf3 to drop in population so the quality of players goes up in terms of teamwork, the last couple of months of bc2 were glorious.

People got spoiled by Halo 2 being #1 for so long, and forget that part of the reason it was #1 for so long was due to the fact that it was basically the OXbox Dashboard for a lot of people in terms of functionality and ease of use. It had the most usable interface and the best messaging and invite system. But it was also on a console that sold no more than 14 million in the first place, when the 360 has exceeded twice that long ago. The landscape, userbase size, and the CoD explosion when 4 took off meant Halo was going to have to finally share it's population.

TheOddOne

ncsuDuncan said:
I'm convinced that Activision has a secret underground bunker with stacks of 360s idling MW2.

I really do think it's just the go-to FPS game for people that only buy one new game every few years. Still, it's ridiculous that the Activision's commercials describe MW3 as "the most anticipated game of all time." Really? smh
As much as people dog on MW2, but you can't deny it has a addictive nature. People seem to have embraced the broken gameplay, because it doesn't punish the user.

PooBone

Who gives a shit about ranks on XBL? People spoiled by being number one even though there were idle users? Who cares? As long as there's enough people to find a game when you wanna play, who gives a flyin fuck if you're playing the most popular Xbox Live game at that moment?

FyreWulff

PooBone said:
Who gives a shit about ranks on XBL? People spoiled by being number one even though there were idle users? Who cares? As long as there's enough people to find a game when you wanna play, who gives a flyin fuck if you're playing the most popular Xbox Live game at that moment?

Didn't even matter if you idle. The Top 20 just cares if you loaded the game while signed into Live, even if you just watch the intro videos and dashboard out before you even get to the main title screen.

It explains why the Arcade titles are ranked by full versions purchased instead of how many UUs they have. Because people playing the trial versions would count towards the UU population.

monome

oddworld18 said:

might be good to check some forunner designs on the Web to get a clearer picture from descriptions.

Cryptum is very mass market

ElRenoRaven

PooBone said:

Exactly. I never have given a shit about some stupid list. I can't help but laugh at people that get worked up over because as mentioned it isn't like these people are just playing one game. Also I just don't give a damn because as long as I can find a game and I can enjoy it, then it could have 100 people playing it for all I care. Hell RTCW and Whacked on the Xbox are prime examples. I played those game from the day released on Xbox. In the case of RTCW I played it on the PC version from launch until the Xbox version came out lol. The last couple years you were lucky to find 30 people playing RTCW and maybe 8 playing Whacked. But by god between that 30 and that 8 there were 2 good wolfy servers and 2 good whacked games up at all times.

God I miss playing them online. RTCW was just amazing and Whacked was so goddamn underrated that it's criminal.

daedalius

Gabotron ES said:
Sadly won't happen.

Do the kids on Waypoint really think these changes aren't going live across all playlists? Why would they be tweaking armor lock... if its not even going to be in the anniversary playlists?

I'm glad you can knock scrubs out of armor lock with a 'nade now, which is at least pretty decent compared to total removal. I kinda enjoy smashing ghosts with AL, but that's it, I hate people that use it as a pause button.

It should never have been 'invulnerability' it should have been for smashing vehicles that try to splatter you, not for deflecting power weapons and shedding stickies.

Tunavi

Banned
squidhands said:
for real. That shit would have been awesome.

and oh my god people, stop playing mw2

1 Modern Warfare 3
2 Battlefield 3
3 Gears of War 3
4 Call of Duty: Black Ops
5 Halo CEA

Predictions for week of november 15th

Kujo

PooBone said:
As long as there's enough people to find a game when you wanna play, who gives a flyin fuck if you're playing the most popular Xbox Live game at that moment?
27 people in Team Objective just before lol :(

PooBone

Mojo said:
27 people in Team Objective just before lol :(
I understand being down on playlist population, not where it ranks among XBL games in general.

It's unfortunate that no matter how many people are playing Reach of Halo in general Team Objective is sadly underpopulated compared to some shit like living dead.

So, im pretty ill slept till 3 today. Started to have them weird dreams you have when your not feeling well.

It was about you guys.

I was in some crazy "future" world where going on a forum is like the matrix. It was split into 3 Major hub worlds

Gaming Discussion which was like a busy city
Off Topic was some kind of mad max meets blade runner wasteland
Community was rolling hills and tranquility.

Inside each hub world where "topic" theme lands naturally halo gaf was some kind of UNSC base Louis Wu ran the whole operation, Ghaleon was second in command, the dev's like Wu's boss who came in at random to check the whole opperation.

Kyle, Tashi and juices all most ODST like symbols for the group.

I was in a "squad" with Sai,Heckfu,Fyrewulf and Devo.

Location next to us was the golf community thread(dont know if this is even real) hypertropper frequently jumped between both of these topics.

The whole dream ended with my squad getting out of HaloGAF into the space between topics and someone had screwed up the Skybox and it had stretched eye textures all over it (pretty scary stuff mang).

Then my GF phoned and i woke up.

TL:DR take medication at the slightest hint of illness

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
StalkerUKCG said:
It was about you guys.
Were we all represented by our avatars? That would make it even more amazingly awesome.

Top Bottom