• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Halo: Spartan Assault" domains registered

Conor 419

Banned
One middling mainline game and you guys are convinced the series can not ever recover

That's some real fandom right there

Middling? They practically fucking retconned Halo 2, 3 and ODST in the first ten minutes of Halo 4, so the future's not exactly looking bright is it?

You can tell it won't ever recover, look at their vision in various conferences like pax,etc

I'll wait until I see Halo 5 to be sure of that. I was hyped for Halo 4 and was giving it the benefit of the doubt for about a month after release. Until it got boring. I've never had a Halo game get boring on me only a month after release (I was still playing 3 and Reach for two years after they released) and I can't really put my finger on any one aspect of the game that really turned me off from it, it just feels wrong. Hopefully Halo 5 won't boast a boring story with boring set-pieces that are mostly irrelevant to anyone who hasn't read a series of fairly average novels, and multiplayer that doesn't feel like a Halo-approximation of Call of Duty, except with even more random elements

I heard a rumor about 4 months ago that MS was going to have a Halo title available at launch (and on the 360... with cross platform MP). It's been so long since I heard about it that I assumed it was false.

Maybe not...?

I blame bungie for whoring out halo to the cod crowd. Reach added so much BS to where it was impossible for 343i to take a step back.

I don't. 343 are their own studio. There is no reason to do what someone else is doing. Halo 4 was far much more like cod than reach will ever be. At least reach still resembled a halo game. classes were strictly limited,weapons on maps and no sprint for all among many other things.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Halo wars and odst were good for what it was.

Wow now, I agree about Halo Wars, but Halo 3: ODST was pretty great.

ODST wasn't terrible but it wasn't great.

Halo Wars was fantastic though!

I... I... wha...
where am I?

I mean for what it's worth, ODST felt derivative and added nothing of substance to the game outside of Firefight (which was the only decent thing about the game) while Reach felt like added some depth and character to the Halo universe (even though they screwed up the story grr).

Conor 419

Banned
ODST was a great game, it featured a tight narrative with a cast of characters that were generally memorable and had a good team dynamic (without feeling overly broish). The game was the perfect example of how to do the 'dark' toned 'human story' that incompetent Microsoft loves so much. It featured fresh gameplay for the IP, good extension to the lore and really nice consistency in atmosphere and tone, it was really great.

It really fell down on incompetent Microsoft launching the less feature rich expansion pack at full retail versus the most wildly anticipated sequel of all time (MW2).

Woorloog

Banned
Not like it's good anymore.

Don't put words in my mouth.
Like Halo 4 much more than Reach (the only bad Halo there is IMO, and the reason i'm going to be skeptical about Destiny). And it ended up being better than i expected, considering the developer change.
It is a science fiction franchise i've followed for over a decade, i sure as hell will miss it.

Conor 419

Banned
Do people really not like ODST and Wars? Come on people...

Wars was great as well. The portrayal of its characters, the Spartans, the setting and its soundtrack showed a really good understanding of the IP (way more than 343i actually...), it was an extension to the franchise that made sense. As an RTS it worked really well and the control scheme + online was solid. The story was really cool and featured some really nice cut scenes, only complaint was that it could have gone a bit further with its characters and the Flood.

Time to make a Diablo-esque top-down Halo.

And there are actually people that refer to themselves as Sonic fans? That's cute. Halo 4 was pretty damn sucky, but the series has a long long way to go before it reaches Sonic-levels of bad.

I don't. 343 are their own studio. There is no reason to do what someone else is doing. Halo 4 was far much more like cod than reach will ever be. At least reach still resembled a halo game. classes were strictly limited,weapons on maps and no sprint for all among many other things.

Odd they all "resemble" a Halo game to me.

Middling? They practically fucking retconned Halo 2, 3 and ODST in the first ten minutes of Halo 4, so the future's not exactly looking bright is it?

Good, god THIS.

They shat on the Sangheili/Elites

They shat on Halsey

They shat on what Spartans are supposed to be like.

Good fucking god, Halo's story post-end of the Covenant war is a goddamn travesty of stupidity, plot and logic holes, and retarded lore decisions.

HooYaH

Maybe this is a rerelease of Halo 4 on XBOne with Season 2 Spartan Ops title name at launch. If not, the sub title does sound corny for a TV series or a new game.

SpyGuy239

Halo Wars would have been SO AWESOME on the PC.

Instead I had to stick with that sorry excuse of a controller to play an RTS.

How so? I know I wont share your opinion because you are always overly negative anyway but, I do want to know none the less.

No butyou can simply take a huge rest from the series while those of us that want more enjoy this.

There are many other franchises that should take a rest before Halo in my eyes.

Yea but when you care for a franchise it's not just me that wants a rest. I want it for the franchise sake. I liked how MS handled it last gen and early on with releasing them every 3 years. It was something special,now it's just nothing.

MaGlock

Loved 4 obviously not as good at 3 but still enjoyable. If it weren't for the garbage maps outside of one or two (haven and one of the DLC packs) and the dwindling online community i would have played it much longer than in did. Still put a good amount of time in it. what ive really wanted for a long time was a Huge battlefield Halo game, and with the way they changed the movement with sprint and such i think its only a matter of time. Would have loved to call it halo wars but that name is gone already haha. 64 v 64 in huge maps with big campaigns that took into account what was happening in the matches. Like having star systems won and lost depending on whether the Covies or Marines win the majority of the matches within the "season". Chromehounds did something like this but on a much smaller scale. The game wouldnt have to be cannon or have anything to do with the campaign. So halo wars where you actually fight the wars.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Good, god THIS.

They shat on Halsey

Good fucking god, Halo's story post-end of the Covenant war is a goddamn travesty of stupidity, plot and logic holes, and retarded lore decisions.

PSSSSSSST

HEY

TacticalFox88

scales

they have scales now

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I don't mind spin offs, personally I enjoyed ODST more than Halo 3/4, and Halo Wars was pretty great for what it was. But please Microsoft don't turn Halo into a yearly franchise, you are seemingly already doing it to Forza.

scently

The title doesn't sound like a TV series so I think its a game. Would love a game like Reach but with Master Chief and Fred, Kelly, Linda etc.

i-Lo

ODST was a fine game with perhaps the best atmosphere and music in the entire franchise (imNHo).

Conor 419

Banned
How so? I know I wont share your opinion because you are always overly negative anyway but, I do want to know none the less.

"I thought we had a truce with the Covenant?"
*Yogi Bear Voice* "Well a lot can change in three years, Chief!"

(Also no reference to anything, ever. Chief Saving Galaxy, Prophets, State of Earth, THE FLOOD, Brutes, Arbiter, Terrance Hood).

AGoodODST

Halo: Annual Assault.

After how disappointing I personally found 4, I can't get excited for more Halo. A side story in the vein of ODST with interesting new mechanincs or modes (like Firefight did for ODST) could possibly be decent. Maybe.

Onikaan

I blame bungie for whoring out halo to the cod crowd. Reach added so much BS to where it was impossible for 343i to take a step back. bungi

343i were very welcome to repair Halo multilayer after Reach. It's not like it wasn't held in contempt by the community.

But they didn't. Infact, they made it worse.

No seriously I am so pissed off, we're like a year in and Sonic fans are laughing at us.

Sonic fans

God, I laughed.

Hindle

Banned
Halo 4 was 343s first game, I can understand why they'd want to play it safe. I expect future games will be more adventurous and in no way like COD.

Edit. If they made massive changes and the game bombed the series would have been defiantly screwed.

I'm still betting on an ODST style spinoff continuing the story of Spartan Ops (meh).. likely will have Halo 4's MP rather than its own.

Finally, my Battlefield + Halo game is coming true! ALl I want is massive battles and being able to play as a Grunt.

That would be fantastic. Battlefront/Battlefield inspired Halo would be freaking incredible. The exapnded sandbox would finally be viable in game play (Scarabs, Locusts, Sparrowhawks, Mammoths, etc.)

Another rts maybe?

I feel like they would just go with "Halo Wars 2" or "Halo Commander", etc for something like that.

That could also be the name of the TV series.

True, but I'm almost certain we will get a game this fall.

Good, god THIS.

They shat on Halsey

Yup. =/

Conor 419

Banned
Different Elites

Read The Thursday War

lmao.

Also, where did they explain that in game?

Also gotta question the lack of reference to anything, ever. Chief Saving Galaxy, Prophets, State of Earth, THE FUCKING FLOOD, Brutes, Arbiter, The Ark, Terrance Hood. There is zero reason to think this is a sequel to Halo 3, there is no reason to believe any of that actually happened. Halo 1 could be a Halo 4 sequel with modified dates + escape ship, it actually makes MORE sense if it is.

Top Bottom