• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection should be recalled

Interfectum

This disaster makes me wonder if the game ever gets fixed. Like, if I get an Xbox One with the game a year from now, will matchmaking be working in some form by then?

The question you should ask yourself is, when it's finally fixed (if ever) will there be a big enough community to give a shit or have all the people moved on.

I understand the idea of a compilation collection but 20gb day one content missing from disc. It invalidate the point of having it all on a single disc because in the end of the day 20 gb so a third is missing from the disc. And now it's missing patches too.

Sad that the game is still broken. I tried to just enjoy the campaigns on legendary while they fixed the MP, but the Campaign is just as buggy. Poor frame rates during split screen, and my save constantly kept getting fucking reset. I hope its fixed soon, so I can pick it up again...

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Agreed. I said this launch week.

You can just tell this game isn't actually 100% fixable. You could from day one. It's just completely broken at the most basic of levels.

343 should simply cut their losses, refund all digital purchases, recall disc copies for those who don't want to keep it and unlock all achievements for all who have it on their Gamerscore.

Concentrate on Halo 5 now because we dont' need incremental patches every couple of weeks for the next 6 months that don't really do much.

Is the game in better shape than it was at launch? Yep. Is there a chance they could get it to almost 100% Yep. Will anyone care by the time that happens? Nope.

It's working now just scattershot and generally poor. Long waits and errors are frequent.

I keep seeing this please explain to people who bought a disc where they can go to get a refund when no major store will allow them.

You are correct I completely forgot about buying in a store. I agree with allowing anyone who wants there money back for a game that does not work as advertised a full refund. But a complete recall seems like overkill.

Jan

This thread reminds of the driveclub one "driveclub should be rereviewed after climatology patches" but exactly in the opposite sense xd

HBP

Completely agreed.

Only console game I've ever bought digitally, and MS wouldn't refund me.

Wish I would have bought at a store, as I would have done a chargeback on my card.

... and people didn't believe me when I said MS lied about my early Halo 4 copy being "illegitimate."

Did you try the online chat? It worked for me after i went through their BS script.

_woLf

343 should simply cut their losses, refund all digital purchases, recall disc copies for those who don't want to keep it and unlock all achievements for all who have it on their Gamerscore.

You can't be serious. That is not how ANYTHING works, anywhere. Ever.

The game still has issues but I was able to play 4 matches back to back without any problems, in different playlists. Never once did I have uneven teams, too.

I even got a 7v7 big team battle multi CTF flag game in...it was really fun.

I think at this point it's too late for there to be any feasible way to withdraw the game and rerelease it later on. Not a chance. And mass refunds arent going to happen, either. Too late.

There is no way that anyone at 343/MS could really think that this was ready for prime time though. Waaaaayyyy too much broken shit for it to be totally "unexpected" as Frankie claimed. Even offline, the average player at launch would encounter major glitches in his FIRST play.

I am saddened that I can no longer trust 343 as a company or the word of Frank. I like Frankie a lot but either what he said just isn't true, or he is legitimately surprised and was very disconnected from the dev process, which also doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm starting to think "unexpected" is more akin to a programmer throwing a shitload of code together without testing and hoping it works. Sure he doesn't expect problems, but there always are until some testing and troubleshooting is done. A surprise that really isn't all that surprising.

I'd be happier if 343 just came out and told us the whole truth. "Shit wasn't done, we got rushed by deadlines from our overlords, yeah matchmaking is a pile of shit no joke, ETA early 2015 full functionality"

Between this and Bungie's mess called Destiny, I am sad. :(

Montresor

Sorry to pick out one bit of an interesting OT

That's just classic Halo! It was always about host advantage and shotguns back in the day. Lag switching too.

I'm not sure if you're joking but it seems like a lot of garbage in MCC is as designed "classic Halo". For example, there is apparently staggering lag in co-op campaign. But that's how it worked in the original Halo games. Also, co-op campaign doesn't save checkpoints. This is mind-boggling, earth-shattering stuff. When I asked about it in the OT: "That's how Halo has always been." So it's like I'm the only person in 10+ years who stopped and said "Uh guys... It doesn't really make sense that solo campaign would save checkpoints but co-op campaign wouldn't."

So forget about what the OP posted. On top of all the glitches and bugs, you have these two game breaking BULLSHIT features that are implemented by design. Why? Because they decided it was a good idea to port shit features 1 for 1. These are ports after all, right? So why not be "faithful" and port everything from the original games?

It really sickens me the idea that co-op campaign lag and co-op campaign checkpoints will never be fixed. They made it that way on purpose. "Halo has always been that way".

*shudders* I dodged a huge bullet not blind buying this trash at launch.

And it's really discouraging to me too. I am a huge Xbox fan who went the entire last gen never playing Halo, other than Halo CE 360 recently. So when MCC was announced I said yes! And when Halo Reach was a free GWG I said yes! I deleted Halo Reach in disgust and now I have zero interest in this franchise as a result of this MCC debacle. Bring on Quantum Break, Scalebound, and Crackdown 3, and Ori, and whatever other good software Microsoft has in their pipeline. Halo is trash that I can live without.

bigkurz

Banned
My fiancée is getting me an Xbox one for Christmas, and I picked up halo MCC for myself when I saw it on sale . its still wrapped in a drawer. Looks like its STILL isn't working? Maybe I should return it?

What was the word pre-release? Was this like Driveclub where things were fine until tons of people started playing? Or did they know it was broken when they shipped it?

Not saying either scenario is excusable I'm just curious if they had any indication these problems existed when they began selling it

Jtrizzy

Is there no Twitter protest style to be done like was done against Microsoft, with the used games/DRM?

Seems like there needs to be a concerted effort of #NOMOREBROKENGAMES or something. They sure worked against Microsoft post e3.

Wereroku

Yeah never going to happen but it would be nice if Microsoft had a voluntary recall on the game for physical buyers who are screwed. But as you said very few companies would ever do that and even ones that are forced by the government sometimes give people problems.

Dunkley

What I still wonder about with the Master Chief Collection is if the developers the ports were outsourced to are still actually working on it.

Because if it is just 343 now, working with stuff they didn't code themselves, I don't see them fixing MCC anywhere in the near future.

Is there no Twitter protest style to be done like was done against Microsoft, with the used games/DRM?

Seems like there needs to be a concerted effort of #NOMOREBROKENGAMES or something. They sure worked against Microsoft post e3.

In this case it's multiple games and companies, though. AC:U, Driveclub, LPBP3 and Halo:MCC all released unfinished.

What was the word pre-release? Was this like Driveclub where things were fine until tons of people started playing? Or did they know it was broken when they shipped it?

Not saying either scenario is excusable I'm just curious if they had any indication these problems existed when they began selling it

The word was Halo MCC vidoc, and a bunch of streamers and reviewers who didn't have access to the entire matchmaking component of the game until Day 1.

Sephzilla

I've been able to play games with respectable consistency for about 2 weeks now. Last nights patch helped a lot too in my opinion. A recall would cause even more issues and end up getting worse press than weekly patches would, especially right before Christmas.

93xfan

Banned
I 100% agree with the op. They need a full team dedicated to finishing the game, not just a few people patching it piece by piece.

I feel i wasted my money getting an Xbox 1. This is much worse than battlefield 4.

The word was Halo MCC vidoc, and a bunch of streamers and reviewers who didn't have access to the entire matchmaking component of the game until Day 1.

Ah, got it. Figured there would have been some type of closed beta or reviewers using the features. I guess the fact that no one even had access to those features prior to release should have been a red flag. But who could have possibly seen this coming?

Wereroku

I think at this point it's too late for there to be any feasible way to withdraw the game and rerelease it later on. Not a chance. And mass refunds arent going to happen, either. Too late.

There is no way that anyone at 343/MS could really think that this was ready for prime time though. Waaaaayyyy too much broken shit for it to be totally "unexpected" as Frankie claimed. Even offline, the average player at launch would encounter major glitches in his FIRST play.

I am saddened that I can no longer trust 343 as a company or the word of Frank. I like Frankie a lot but either what he said just isn't true, or he is legitimately surprised and was very disconnected from the dev process, which also doesn't fill me with confidence.

I'm starting to think "unexpected" is more akin to a programmer throwing a shitload of code together without testing and hoping it works. Sure he doesn't expect problems, but there always are until some testing and troubleshooting is done. A surprise that really isn't all that surprising.

I'd be happier if 343 just came out and told us the whole truth. "Shit wasn't done, we got rushed by deadlines from our overlords, yeah matchmaking is a pile of shit no joke, ETA early 2015 full functionality"

Between this and Bungie's mess called Destiny, I am sad. :(

I believe them that they didn't encounter the terrible problems with MM in testing but I blame this more on the fact that the MP portion had like 2 weeks of testing before it went out to reviewers and preloaders. It just reminds people that if a major portion of the game is not done more than a few weeks before release that suggests that everything is coming in real hot.

In this case it's multiple games and companies, though. AC:U, Driveclub, LPBP3 and Halo:MCC all released unfinished.

I agree completely. Really only Nintendo are free of this shit lately.

I haven't paid too much attention to this until recently, but have these problems really gone unreported in the press?

Because if so that's cowardly and disgraceful, considering companies like Ubisoft are (rightly) held to account.

Montresor

With all the bugs people are reporting how can anyone expect this game to be finished (or fixed) in less than 6 months.

This should have been a May or June game. Not a half-baked rush job in November.

VinFTW

Pretty much. I don't know why we need 4-5 halo threads a week. Especially when they could easily be placed in the 2-3 other topics.

There should be an official OT for broken or buggy games. Getting flooded with these threads daily is getting annoying.

On a happier note: CE got its best update since launch. Plays amazingly now.

Do you play in parties? It's still bad in parties for me. Lack of a CE playlist is a real problem too.

You haven't been paying attention then :)

gioGAF

It's a disgrace and the single player is a mess that they haven't even attempted to fix. The promised 60fps and we didn't even get close to that except for Halo 3. It doesn't save checkpoints, terminals glitch, it crashes, levels skip in playlists. It's plain broken and we were all lied to.
The following is not directly to you specifically, but:

Yet all of you bought it or continue to buy it, smh. A message needs to be sent to anyone who releases a game in this state. This game should have BOMBED but so many people bought it. I don't understand how that happens. I guess the Day 1 guys would have gotten burned, but why on earth would any informed gamer buy this game after reading/hearing all of the problems it has?

In the end, enough people bought this game, and that helps MS/343 be okay with releasing broken garbage to consumers, since they will buy it anyway.

Sephzilla

What should happen in my opinion is that Halo 5 should be indefinitely delayed until Master Chief Collection is fixed. I'm not talking something like a one month delay, I'm talking a full 6 to 12 month delay.

I 100% agree with the op. They need a full team dedicated to finishing the game, not just a few people patching it piece by piece.

Well, there was that job posting from 343 for network engineers and a few other positions seemingly matchmaking related...

Glass

The whole launch and the games problems absolutely fascinate me.

How much was known beforehand? Are Microsoft furious with how their flagship title has had such a bad launch, or are they the ones which pushed it's release? Say what you want about Halo 4 but it was 100% more functional on launch then MCC. I would love to see a post mortem on this game. I really want to see behind the curtain.

And I think the MCC's issues got far less attention then say Unity for a few key reasons:

Because of the unique relationship between Halo and Microsoft (it's a flagship title for MS, Halo is MS on Xbox) that's the reason there hasn't been an outright apology from MS or 343 about the state of the game and it's many issues. Unity's issues were making headlines, when they apologised, it made headlines all over again. By then it was too little too late and the title had been tainted. MCC's issues have definitely slipped under the radar by comparison. Any statements now would be more negative press. 343 just have their head down and are working on a fix, which is all they really can do in this no win situation.

Secondly, the face glitch on Unity was a visually funny/horifying glitch which in one image summed up the problems of the game. With MCC all the issues are under the hood, far harder to shine a light on.

Pretty much. I don't know why we need 4-5 halo threads a week. Especially when they could easily be placed in the 2-3 other topics.

There should be an official OT for broken or buggy games. Getting flooded with these threads daily is getting annoying.

On a happier note: CE got its best update since launch. Plays amazingly now.

Is that campaign or MP you're talking about?

GrizzNKev

Banned

The game still has issues but I was able to play 4 matches back to back without any problems, in different playlists. Never once did I have uneven teams, too.

I even got a 7v7 big team battle multi CTF flag game in...it was really fun.

Yeah BTB 7v7 CTF is what I got into also, and it was pretty good.

Sure, the game can't actually be recalled, and realistically the only way that software with issues can be addressed is patches, but the issues like lost population and negative public opinion can't really be undone with patches. I would like to see a relaunch of sorts if the game ever gets to 100% functioning as intended.

Noobcraft

I've been able to play games with respectable consistency for about 2 weeks now. Last nights patch helped a lot too in my opinion. A recall would cause even more issues and end up getting worse press than weekly patches would, especially right before Christmas.
Pretty much the same for me. It's frustratingly unstable but it works. Campaigns all work just fine for me (haven't finished Halo 2), and the multiplayer works pretty frequently minus BTB matchmaking which is hit or miss.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
My fiancée is getting me an Xbox one for Christmas, and I picked up halo MCC for myself when I saw it on sale . its still wrapped in a drawer. Looks like its STILL isn't working? Maybe I should return it?

I would/did. You can always pick it up later if/when it's working. Why have your money tied up in a buggy game when you could be enjoying something else that works?

It's a disgrace and the single player is a mess that they haven't even attempted to fix. The promised 60fps and we didn't even get close to that except for Halo 3. It doesn't save checkpoints, terminals glitch, it crashes, levels skip in playlists. It's plain broken and we were all lied to.

You say this but the only issue I have ran into is the halo 3 checkpoints not working and I have had the game since day one. Not saying these did not happen to you but I can say they are not happening to everyone.

The whole launch and the games problems absolutely fascinate me.

How much was known beforehand? Are Microsoft furious with how their flagship title has had such a bad launch, or are they the ones which pushed it's release? Say what you want about Halo 4 but it was 100% more functional on launch then MCC. I would love to see a post mortem on this game. I really want to see behind the curtain.

And I think the MCC's issues got far less attention then say Unity for a few key reasons:

Because of the unique relationship between Halo and Microsoft (it's a flagship title for MS, Halo is MS on Xbox) that's the reason there hasn't been an outright apology from MS or 343 about the state of the game and it's many issues. Unity's issues were making headlines, when they apologised, it made headlines all over again. By then it was too little too late and the title had been tainted. MCC's issues have definitely slipped under the radar by comparison. Any statements now would be more negative press. 343 just have their head down and are working on a fix, which is all they really can do in this no win situation.

Secondly, the face glitch on Unity was a visually funny/horifying glitch which in one image summed up the problems of the game. With MCC all the issues are under the hood, far harder to shine a light on.

Really good analysis on why this game slipped under the radar, I agree 100%

Wereroku

What should happen in my opinion is that Halo 5 should be indefinitely delayed until Master Chief Collection is fixed. I'm not talking something like a one month delay, I'm talking a full 6 to 12 month delay.

Sorry I agree with your statement but I almost started laughing at work thinking about the chances of this happening. If this happens I can foresee the end times coming and the riders coming to claim the land.

I would/did. You can always pick it up later if/when it's working. Why have your money tied up in a buggy game when you could be enjoying something else that works?

Op+removed+quot+le+quot+at+the+starting+for+us+_f6559574868c30efa7f6e556626002eb.jpg

mp. There gonna be adding the ce playlist real soon now because of the success of the last patch.

Ah ok. I'm still waiting for some campaign stuff to be addressed before I play more.

It sucks because I haven't really touched the game since launch but I only plan on playing through the games once and I want it to be the best possible experience

I assume the MP stuff is a priority for them though

TTOOLL

Stop pre-ordering games, developers won't stop releasing shit since they know people will buy it anyway (big games, of course).

Top Bottom