• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlStrong

Two completely different operating systems. It's not strange, if true, that the Xbox One can't handle two different install discs for one executable. Why build an option when you don't expect it to be used in the near future, you'll dedicate your valuable dev time for other options that are more likely to be used in the near future.

Microsoft, and I'm guessing a lot of us as well, didn't expect games to require more than 50GB of storage this soon in the generation.

If it were solely a multi-disc issue, the content update would have been part of the original download. Don't forget that there's also a delay for Spartan Ops.

Development time is probably the bigger factor.

Sephzilla

Yeah, if the 20GB patch isn't available yet for the digital folks then obviously the reason we aren't getting a 2 disc game is because the patch content isn't done yet. Like I said, I just hope they do something to alleviate the day 1 downloads for physical buyers.

Cru

I don't care what you think of me, because I "don't act like I'm a victim." I'm sure you're no angel here, either.

Also, don't be singling me out here, just because I'm putting out my opinions about Microsoft fucking up, or are not putting their consumers at heart first. There are plenty of posters out here who think that way as well.

If you don't like what I say, or if you can't say anything nice, then don't fucking bother posting to me at all. Period. You, Louis, or anyone else. I'm sick of this shit.

Don't post dumb shit then.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Not sure if serious. I really hope we haven't reached a level of laziness where someone doesn't find it practical to walk up to their xbox and swap a disc.

I don't even want to have to walk up to my console at all anymore. Kinect pretty much alleviated any need to do so at all with the ability to turn it on and off with voice controls and sync a controller with the camera. The only thing I want now is a controller with wireless charging that I can just set on a charging pad when done.

Shin-Ra

If it were solely a multi-disc issue, the content update would have been part of the original download. Don't forget that there's also a delay for Spartan Ops.

Development time is probably the bigger factor.
So basically they're cutting corners.. so they don't have to cut corners.

Mr E.

Surely they will lose sales from areas and people with poor/costly connections.
Any penny pinching by excluding that second disc theory will cost MS in the long run.

Petrae

Do people not realize alot of games are 30-50 GB or more now? It sucks but it is what it is. This new sucks for people with low caps and speeds but your in for a tough ride the rest of your gaming lives.

MS may fix their two disc thing but DLC and patches will be big this generation

This collection is massive

"Got caps? Speed issues? TOUGH."

I'm not mad about it, though. With downloads and high data consumption being the new normal for console gaming, I just choose to avoid new consoles. It's not worth the $400 admission just for the hassle of micro-managing how much data I use before getting socked with warnings or extra charges.

The console gaming industry acknowledges that there are issues with caps and speeds for some consumers-- but the number is negligible enough that it won't impede progress towards a mostly-digital future.

sbrew

Banned
I don't find it practical. If there is no digital version of something, I won't buy it.

This. A game disk has never and will never grace any console of mine from this generation forward. ESPECIALLY on the XB1, which, in my opinion, has gimped physical disks compared to digital.... which I'm totally ok with.

I find the idea of swapping disks cringeworthy, like swapping inputs on my TV. Thank you based XB1.

"Got caps? Speed issues? TOUGH."

I'm not mad about it, though. With downloads and high data consumption being the new normal for console gaming, I just choose to avoid new consoles. It's not worth the $400 admission just for the hassle of micro-managing how much data I use before getting socked with warnings or extra charges.

The console gaming industry acknowledges that there are issues with caps and speeds for some consumers-- but the number is negligible enough that it won't impede progress towards a mostly-digital future.

That is entirely because your ISP is garbage or you live in an area with bad internet, which means that the multiplayer your missing out on is mostly irrelevant anyway.

It's certainly possible, but I doubt it. You would be looking at (literally) doubling the production costs. I think they'd be better off creating a system to preload the patch, somehow, or download it at a separate location.
I don't think you know what "literally" "doubling" or "production costs" mean.

I'm getting this digitally so I'm not too bothered, kind of stinks for disc owners though

I'm hoping it's in order to add dedicated servers for Spartan Ops. It was pretty much unplayable for me on Xbox 360.

Halo 3, 4, reach and odst always felt like playing in mud if you were not the host on campaign stages, it would be nice if spartan ops had server support but it would have been nicer for the main campaigns to get the treatment instead, I believe they are still the same as the original releases (halo ce using whatever they did back on the 360 pc port)

FordGTGuy

Banned
So basically they're cutting corners.. so they don't have to cut corners.

How is making sure what we get is done, works well and better than it used to be considered cutting-corners?

Cutting-corners is when you sacrifice overall quality in order to do something faster. If anything what they are doing is costing them even more money and taking longer to do.

Who knows how much how Microsoft has invested in this game and are now releasing at $60.

Unlike any other game releasing now there is no special edition. There isn't a $100 digital deluxe or some crap that could potentially them a lot more money. Instead everyone I getting the full experience at 60 dollars and any preorder exclusives open to everyone in December.

There is definitely a reason you can't just download the patch yet and I agree with others that it is because they are still working on it.

Jesus, my DSL is going to choke on this download for 2-3 days.

Get the digital version you'll have 24 days to download the game and hopefully a week to download the patch.

Percy

Banned
how are some of the clowns in this thread not getting banned

no wonder gaf's gaming side is getting such a bad rep

Indeed, I'd have thought harassment of members would result in bans easily, but the moderation on Neogaf seems to be wildly inconsistent at the best of times, so it's probably pointless trying to make sense of it.

FordGTGuy

Banned
If you're buying the disx version, is it not possible to preload the patch?

As of right now no you cannot, I'm hoping they release the content update on the store when it goes out to those who have already preordered digitally.

At least people with slow connections will have time to download it.

Septic360

Banned
The core gaming community is so pessimistic that it can be quite suffocating just being an observer of it all. I wonder how the devs cope with it all; filtering out all the legitimate and constructive concerns over the knee-jerk over-entitled screaming of some folks.

Ah, at least all this drama it helps pass the time I guess.

#yolo

FordGTGuy

Banned
no as of right now. i'm hoping they put it out there as a preload for physical buyers though, otherwise I'm worried their servers are going to get slammed hard on day one.

Azure isn't going to even hiccup at this, same servers that deal with Windows releases with no problems.

Patroclos

Banned
"But Stinkles said they can't use two discs! Frankie said! Frankie said!"

So forgetful. Remember when Major Nelson said "It's not like we can just flip a switch." And then they just flipped the switch? The amount of faith and trust given to an obfuscating PR statement here is staggering. Notice how nobody ever even bothers to quote it and they always tell you to find it? Notice how it's not included as part of the OP on the first page? Gotta love the tweet touting the "advantage" of buying digital, though. Classy.

Haven't been back to the thread for a couple days but it seems other people besides me have issues with tying actual game "content" to downloads as well. Shocker.

Ah, I see. Would be pretty smart to do that. That way people with data caps can download it this month or next depending on what's best for them

That is entirely because your ISP is garbage or you live in an area with bad internet, which means that the multiplayer your missing out on is mostly irrelevant anyway.

What are you talking about? Playing multiplayer doesn't use that much data at all. It's easy to do on capped internet, which is all that is available for vast swaths of the United States, whereas downloading 50 gb games regularly isn't.

bPod

I went to EB Games to reserve the game yesterday and the store clerk tells me that you are NOT playing as Master Chief but someone re-living the events of 1-4…

...wtf

FordGTGuy

Banned

So forgetful. Remember when Major Nelson said "It's not like we can just flip a switch." And then they just flipped the switch? The amount of faith and trust given to an obfuscating PR statement here is staggering. Notice how nobody ever even bothers to quote it and they always tell you to find it? Notice how it's not included as part of the OP on the first page? Gotta love the tweet touting the "advantage" of buying digital, though. Classy.

Haven't been back to the thread for a couple days but it seems other people besides me have issues with tying actual game "content" to downloads as well. Shocker.

Making a decision and changing a infrastructure are two very different things. You think everything they setup for the original plan just disappeared in a instant?

It's insane how people can think it really was like flipping a switch...

Bessy67

I went to EB Games to reserve the game yesterday and the store clerk tells me that you are NOT playing as Master Chief but someone re-living the events of 1-4…

...wtf
You're playing as John Cusack playing as Master Chief.

Being John 117.

You seem to forget that "flipping" Majors theoretical switch took them 6-7 months with employees choosing to sleep at their desks several days in a row and Microsoft pulling employees from other divisions in an attempt to hit deadlines and fix it before launch. If you're making that comparison, are you suggesting we delay TMCC another few months?

Killer

Banned
If you don't like the 20 gb patch, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet. Majority of people don't mind it considering the staggering amount of content in this collection. Would it be better if it didn't have it? Absolutely, especially if you have a LEGITIMATE concern about your bandwidth cap and not trolling.

This isn't a deal breaker at all.

Patroclos

Banned
Making a decision and changing a infrastructure are two very different things. You think everything they setup for the original plan just disappeared in a instant?

It's insane how people can think it really was like flipping a switch...

Obviously not. Evidently they crippled themselves so badly with poor design choices back then that they can't even allow you to install off of two discs.

Sephzilla

If you don't like the 20 gb patch, don't buy it. Vote with your wallet. Majority of people don't mind it considering the staggering amount of content in this collection. Would it be better if it didn't have it? Absolutely, especially if you have a LEGITIMATE concern about your bandwidth cap and not trolling.

This isn't a deal breaker at all.

I don't think I'd ever consider it a deal-breaker, it's just a major inconvenience especially if you want to jump into multiplayer right away day one.

Wereroku

Dude he never said it wasn't possible. He said it wasn't feasible for this project. Those are two different things. It is nothing like what Nelson was spouting during that whole fiasco. I am guessing the only way to have 2 discs for this collection would be to delay the entire project gold date which has no way in hell of happening. This is a marquee release for Microsoft it is coming at the original date even if it causes some troubles to a small amount of people.

Shin-Ra

How is making sure what we get is done, works well and better than it used to be considered cutting-corners?

Cutting-corners is when you sacrifice overall quality in order to do something faster.
You buy a retail Blu-ray version of the game and a huge portion isn't on the physical media for quick installation. Whether that's playing day one or in the future when you want to quickly reinstall and play multiplayer.

You're going to have to download 20GB of content and who knows how many patches on top of that.

I'm actually curious as to how a game can "go gold" when less than 70% of the content is "ready" (i.e. digital owners cannot pre-load the patch.)

Wait, you have a download "allowance"??!!

What's that all about? Or is it a 4G mobile dongle your using which would explain it?

This hurt to read. I'ma go cry myself to sleep.

Don't know if this was brought up before; doesn't this straight up cripple rentals, especially if you aren't able to pre-load it?

Mind you, Redbox ran into this before with Halo 4/GTAV/etc, but those were clearly marked and such, and those updates weren't as big as this one. I know I'm not able to hammer out this update in a day, and if I was, that's a day off the rental. It's not so much a big deal now since renting games has gone a bit by the wayside, but...

It's pretty clear this game is coming in super duper hot, and their main concern is getting it out on time. Everything else takes a backseat.

Bgamer90

Banned
Obviously not. Evidently they crippled themselves so badly with poor design choices back then that they can't even allow you to install off of two discs.

It seems a bit silly but I honestly kind of understand it in terms of not having it on the console this early simply due to the assumption that no games during the early point of this gen would be greater than one Blu-Ray disc.

Don't know if this was brought up before; doesn't this straight up cripple rentals, especially if you aren't able to pre-load it?

Mind you, Redbox ran into this before with Halo 4/GTAV/etc, but those were clearly marked and such, and those updates weren't as big as this one. I know I'm not able to hammer out this update in a day, and if I was, that's a day off the rental. It's not so much a big deal now since renting games has gone a bit by the wayside, but...

It's pretty clear this game is coming in super duper hot, and their main concern is getting it out on time. Everything else takes a backseat.

No. You can still play the campaigns while the patch is downloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom