• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection will have a 20GB day one "content update".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bessy67

Don't downloads pause when you're playing a game? They did on the 360.
No. You can do other things (watch TV, use an app, play another game, play the game that's installing if enough has installed) while installing a game.

Edit: read that wrong. Although I think background downloads keep downloading even while playing a game on Xbox One.

Shin-Ra

It seems a bit silly but I honestly kind of understand it in terms of not having it on the console this early simply due to the assumption that no games during the early point of this gen would be greater than one Blu-Ray disc.
Presumably they knew long in advance of next month that they'd be releasing Halo 2 with high quality assets and high quality 1080p(60?) FMV for cutscenes which could fill a Blu-ray even before adding in the other games.

Patroclos

Banned
I am guessing the only way to have 2 discs for this collection would be to delay the entire project gold date which has no way in hell of happening. This is a marquee release for Microsoft it is coming at the original date even if it causes some troubles to a small amount of people.

So the onus of 343 and Microsoft's poor planning is passed on to the consumer because Microsoft needs the sales? And to think, people were actually arguing that this was not anti-consumer. Sounds like you just defined it.

It's not like they just woke up last week and figured out how much space they would need for data. I hope to god nobody really believes that. If they did they are the definition of clueless and inept.

Presumably they knew long in advance of next month that they'd be releasing Halo 2 with high quality assets and high quality 1080p(60?) FMV for cutscenes which could fill a Blu-ray even before adding in the other games.

Hey! Somebody gets it!

The core gaming community is so pessimistic that it can be quite suffocating just being an observer of it all. I wonder how the devs cope with it all; filtering out all the legitimate and constructive concerns over the knee-jerk over-entitled screaming of some folks.

I know, right? The nerve of people. Wanting all the content they paid for to be on the physical copy they purchased. The sense of entitlement these people have is utterly maddening.

Sephzilla

Yeah, this is one other thing that does kind of irk me. They probably knew they were over the 50GB bluray limit a long time ago.

dose

That is entirely because your ISP is garbage or you live in an area with bad internet, which means that the multiplayer your missing out on is mostly irrelevant anyway.
In this thread people have no clue what they're on about. Just because some people can't download 20+gigs in one go doesn't mean that they've got a net connection that isn't good for multiplayer. Lots of people around the world have data caps on their net.

liquidtmd

Banned
In this thread people have no clue what they're on about. Just because some people can't download 20+gigs in one go doesn't mean that they've got a net connection that isn't good for multiplayer. Lots of people around the world have data caps on their net.

Absolutely - the whole "If you can't download 20GB of data, then hur hur you wouldn't be able to play multiplayer anyway" attitude is very short sighted.

Before moving and getting 40MB / Uncapped, I was on 7MB with a 40GB cap. I could play online fine but 20GB would have been half of my monthly allowance and taken a fair old while to come through. This would have been a real pain for me and the impact on potential players in that boat is very real.

Sephzilla

People also don't seem to understand that you don't need to have a very fast internet connection in order to play online multiplayer.

This 20GB install wouldn't phase me if it was the only part of the game I had to install or download. The fact that it's 20GB on top of a mandatory 45GB install is very annoying.

I'm probably WAYYYYYYY late in asking this question, but is there a specific reason as to why every game's disc must be installed?

FordGTGuy

Banned
You buy a retail Blu-ray version of the game and a huge portion isn't on the physical media for quick installation. Whether that's playing day one or in the future when you want to quickly reinstall and play multiplayer.

That isn't cutting corners, also the game disc will have some multiplayer and four campaigns to play while you update.

PC games?

Never seen a PC game on multiple blurays.

Don't downloads pause when you're playing a game? They did on the 360.

They'd only pause on the 360 if the game you were playing needed an internet connection, but downloads would continue once done. FIFA games would pause a download whilst you're on the menu screens, but continue once you were playing a match.

Bgamer90

Banned
It's not like they just woke up last week and figured out how much space they would need for data. I hope to god nobody really believes that. If they did they are the definition of clueless and inept.

Yeah, this is one other thing that does kind of irk me. They probably knew they were over the 50GB bluray limit a long time ago.

But do we know how long it would take for the system to get updated for it? Positive they wanted the game to come out before Black Friday since it's one of the system's biggest games for this year.

And similar to how "they didn't wake up last week to know how much space they need for data", I'm also sure that they didn't just come up with this content download solution. This was probably planned for a long time.

FordGTGuy

Banned
True, I was more just thinking games that have multiple disc installs. Does the physical media that holds the files actually make any difference when it comes to reading the files? It shouldnt.

On a PC it wouldn't but this isn't a PC.

I like your new avatar better.

So now people are just ignoring that there is four games on one disc and blaming it all on the fact that Microsoft had the knowledge that Halo 2 anniversary was coming and its going to have HD cutscenes?

Keep moving those goalposts.

There are four games on one disc.

4 games -> 1 Blu Ray.

4 single player campaigns, 4 multiplayer modes, 4 co-op campaigns, Spartan Ops (activited later, I'm assuming you don't have to download that as well), Forge Mode (x4?). Plus cut scenes for each game, (special HD cutscenes for Halo 2), plus two engines that switch back and forth between old and new graphics. Add in new enhanced maps and new art assets.

I don't think anyone here understands the amount of content being offered for the price of one game.

Does it suck that you're going to have to download 20 extra gb? Yes. Yes it does. It sucks extremely for people who have low data caps and for those who buy on retail. I understand how those people feel.

However for people who buy digital, they can order it and download it now and then download the 20 gb before release day so they can play. For those who buy the retail disc, they can still play while it downloads the 20 gb in the background. There are options to straddle the download and stretch it over days or weeks up until Nov 11 to prevent going over the data cap.

Is that a perfect solution? No it isn't.

But even if Microsoft offered the perfect solution, someone here would find something to complain about anyways (like "omg two discs!? I have to swap discs!!/it takes forever to install!!/which disc do I use first?!"). At least they're trying, and they're being transparent and upfront with people on this forum instead of ignoring us because they don't want to start debates.

Patroclos

Banned
That is entirely because your ISP is garbage or you live in an area with bad internet, which means that the multiplayer your missing out on is mostly irrelevant anyway.

Halos have never been known for split screen multiplayer anyway, right? Lol.

I don't think anyone here understands the amount of content being offered for the price of one game.

Even Microsoft underestimated it.

At least they're trying, and they're being transparent and upfront with people on this forum instead of ignoring us because they don't want to start debates.

That statement was transparent. That can't be argued.

Pillville

There are four games on one disc.

You mean they TRIED to put 4 games on 1 disc, and failed.
So, they should've put 4 games on 2 discs.

But instead, they put as much as they could on disc 1 and required that everyone basically download disc 2.
Which really sucks for the majority of gamers who still buy physical copies.

Bgamer90

Banned

But instead, they put as much as they could on disc 1 and required that everyone basically download disc 2.

...Because (apparently) the Xbox One system can't read two installed blu-ray discs as one game.

I agree.

I have a friend who lives somewhat up north in Canada and he has a data cap of 50 gig. No big deal right, buy retail and download the 20 gb? That's still going to take a big chunk out of the 50 gig cap he has, plus it downloads super slow anyways. Add a wife and a kid who watch netflix and you don't have much bandwidth to spare.

He's understandable, but as soon as I told him about the 20 gig update, he replied "Well I'm buying it on disc then".

Bgamer90

Banned
Is there proof for this?

I believe this post from Stinkles pretty much hints at it.

"...It simply wasn't practical for this product, this year in this timeline. The Xbox One platform continues to improve and mature, arguably faster and more meaningfully than others and maybe next year two discs or some other method would have been the right approach, but this year it's the option we have available that on balance, makes the most sense for this giant, ambitious project."

They needed to make it run all in one program to achieve the scope of the project, which is to have multiplayer and campaign of all 4 games in the same menu system and being able to mix and match playlists of both campaign and multiplayer across all 4 games.

XB1 just doesn't support installing content from a disc yet-- that's the big failure here. Otherwise this 20GB content could've been on the disc much like it has been in the past for games like Halo 4 and Forza 4.

This is commonplace in PC gaming and for just one game. We got 4 campaigns (5 If you count spartan ops) and 5 multiplayers (6 if you count the halo 5 beta) and a bunch of other features, including Blur Studios cgi cutscenes. The games size sounds about right.

Biker19

Banned
It's hilarious watching a certain poster whine about how badly he's being treated. First time on GAF I've ever seen someone complain about consistently being where they're not wanted and encountering resistance.

Simple: You treat me as if I'm the only one who says something about Microsoft whenever they screw up or for having opinions about their fuck-ups, but always single me out & don't get on other posters for doing the same thing. Can't fucking stand double standards & hypocrites.

Don't post dumb shit then.

I don't. They just want to make a big issue out of what I posted for fucking nothing.

That's not really a smoking gun though. It's just assumptions based on vague sentences that people are taking up as "hints". It doesn't make sense that he is transparent with the entirety of his post but the first couple of sentences are vague "hints".

If we try to find hidden meanings with developer's posts, we're going to run into all sorts of trouble believing things we want to believe and attacking people who disagree with us without any concrete evidence.

Bgamer90

Banned
That's not really a smoking gun though. It's just assumptions based on vague sentences that people are taking up as "hints". It doesn't make sense that he is transparent with the entirety of his post but the first couple of sentences are vague "hints".

If we try to find hidden meanings with developer's posts, we're going to run into all sorts of trouble believing things we want to believe and attacking people who disagree with us without any concrete evidence.

Why else would he bring up the Xbox One system improving/updating in the future as well as the fact that two discs might have been the better solution by next year (or sometime else in the future)?

Just doesn't make sense to me for it to be about something other than the system not being able to treat two installed Blu-ray discs as one game.

Pillville

...Because (apparently) the Xbox One system can't read two installed blu-ray discs as one game.

I find it hard to believe that one of Microsoft's biggest releases from a Microsoft's studio on a Microsoft platform can't be made to do what the previous Microsoft platform could do.

I truly believe they still have the "deal with it" mentality when it comes on any online component.

Bgamer90

Banned
I find it hard to believe that one of Microsoft's biggest releases from a Microsoft's studio on a Microsoft platform can't be made to do what the previous Microsoft platform could do.

The previous platform used DVDs. Blu-rays are bigger in size. I simply feel like maybe MS didn't see it as a priority this early in the gen because no one would have guess that games would already be reaching the limit this early.

I truly believe they still have the "deal with it" mentality when it comes on any online component.

I wouldn't see why you would even want the system this game is on then.

mbmonk

The previous platform used DVDs. Blu-rays are bigger in size. I simply feel like maybe MS didn't see it as a priority this early in the gen because no one would have guess that games would already be reaching the limit this early.

They are the ones doing this project. They surely saw this coming when they go into the project. At that point they made a decision. The 20GB patch was their cost benefit decision.

Except that they have taken the time to address this issue in an understanding and calm manner on their news.xbox.com website, as well as here. They're open to discussion and willing to express how they feel on the issue.

If they had a "deal with it" mentality, they wouldn't even address the concerns or even mention that a 20 gb content update was coming. They would just let it happen on Nov 11 as a complete and total surprise.

What I am starting to believe is that they probably made an assumption that games wouldn't reach the 50 GB limit (and they haven't except for Halo: MCC), so they wouldn't need to have two discs for one game.

But if you look at what the Xbox One OS was last November, and what it is now a year later, I wouldn't doubt that an update would come relatively quickly to allow two Blu Rays for one game. Unfortunately, not soon enough for Nov 11th.

statham

I know that I'm alone, but I'm kinda giddy that its 65GB total, kinda like when I bought FFVII on PS1 and it was on 4 discs. It being 25GB or something would be a downer. :)

E92 M3

I know that I'm alone, but I'm kinda giddy that its 65GB total, kinda like when I bought FFVII on PS1 and it was on 4 discs. It being 25GB or something would be a downer. :)

You're not alone. I remember FFVIII being 4 discs and was like "damn this must be so much larger than FFVII."

Raide

How do you guys know if you even have data caps? I've never seen it stated in the bill or literature.

Usually when you look at your ISP's website, they usually list it in the deeper notes on your broadband package. Sometimes its fair usage or it might just be a cap. Ask your ISP if unsure.

Sephzilla

On a PC it wouldn't but this isn't a PC.

I like your new avatar better.

Yeah, I guess the XB1 OS must not be set up for multi disc or something :/

OG RoboCop was is my normal avatar - I switched it up for an nWo theme over in WrassleGAF. I had to switch it back to this one because classic Robo is the superior.

Wereroku

This 20GB install wouldn't phase me if it was the only part of the game I had to install or download. The fact that it's 20GB on top of a mandatory 45GB install is very annoying.

I'm probably WAYYYYYYY late in asking this question, but is there a specific reason as to why every game's disc must be installed?

It's how both the systems are setup. They install a game on the HDD and run it all from there. It reads a lot faster from the HDD that any optical media could allow which is necessary due to the larger textures most games are using. The original XBO plan had you install the game from the Disc input a serial code then you could crack the disc across your leg as it was completely useless at that point except for maybe reinstalling in the future.

How do you guys know if you even have data caps? I've never seen it stated in the bill or literature.

I think they have to be upfront about it in the case of a hard cap. However some ISP's have soft caps that effect your speeds when you go over them.

Bgamer90

Banned
They are the ones doing this project. They surely saw this coming when they go into the project.

The people making the game aren't the same as the people who designed the system and work on its dashboard.

I mean, Titanfall was hyped before the Xbox One was released but yet the system didn't get an update for its (at one time) very flawed party system until shortly before the game released; I would say that it's pretty obvious that the Xbox One that was rushed to release in 2013.

And yes, I definitely believe that pretty much everyone would have assumed years before these new consoles released that we wouldn't see games on multiple blu-ray discs less than one year after the consoles launched.

At that point they made a decision. The 20GB patch was their cost benefit decision.

How does that go in line with the post I gave a link to though?

Patroclos

Banned

No offense Bgamer but you are reading that statement totally different than me. Which is surprising because you know and I know that MS/343 must get this game out for the holidays. You yourself brought it to my attention why they could not release a physical edition 24 days later than digital, they would miss black Friday.

This is the key part of Stinkles/Frankie's statement, "No need to call bs. Anything is feasible, it simply wasn't practical for this product, this year in this timeline."

He never said a damn thing about the console not having the ability. He simply states the bolded part. What does that tell you?It tells me they are working right up until release, and cannot afford to miss the ship date in order to bolster MS holiday sales. It tells me they failed to meet their internal deadlines for their gold date.

They pass their problem on to the consumer in the form of content gated behind a required internet connection.

Bgamer90

Banned
No offense Bgamer but you are reading that statement totally different than me. Which is surprising because you know and I know that MS/343 must get this game out for the holidays. You yourself brought it to my attention why they could not release a physical edition 24 days later than digital, they would miss black Friday.

This is the key part of Stinkles/Frankie's statement, "No need to call bs. Anything is feasible, it simply wasn't practical for this product, this year in this timeline."

He never said a damn thing about the console not having the ability. He simply states the bolded part. What does that tell you?It tells me they are working right up until release, and cannot afford to miss the ship date in order to bolster MS holiday sales. It tells me they failed to meet their internal deadlines for their gold date.

They pass their problem on to the consumer in the form of content gated behind a required internet connection.

Did you completely miss the part of his post when he talked about the Xbox One updating and improving? Why would he even bring that up?

I mean, don't get me wrong -- I definitely do feel like they want the game to come out in time for the Holiday season (for obvious/smart reasons) but you have seemingly cut out parts of the post where he actually talks about the console itself.

JB1981

Usually when you look at your ISP's website, they usually list it in the deeper notes on your broadband package. Sometimes its fair usage or it might just be a cap. Ask your ISP if unsure.

Mine thru Comcast says 250gb data allowance is suspended.

Wereroku

well, maybe the post you linked to was just that - 'a line'?...

it's not like they're gonna say 'yeah, we cheaped out' :) ...

The problem is that to not cheap out would require them to delay the game. The content patch is not done and they have to have the discs printing now to be shipped to stores. They are not even guaranteeing that the patch will be up a week before release. It sucks but this is a decision that is out of 343's hands. If you want to voice your displeasure take it up with Phil but I doubt he would even have the complete authority to delay this game. The truth of the matter is that some of Microsoft's dev cycles take the entire time planned which is fine in a digital world but runs into problems in a physical world. Forza 5 had the same problem. Content development and testing right up to the final moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom