• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Top Ice Cream is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halo-Top-10-New-Flavors-feature.jpg

Anybody else love this stuff? As someone who is trying to lose weight, ice cream has always been a gigantic weakness of mine. If it's in the house, I'll inevitably end up eating an entire pint of the stuff in one sitting right before I fall asleep AKA the worst thing I could possibly be doing.

With this stuff I can just gobble down a whole pint and feel significantly less guilty. I mean 240-320 cal isn't nothing but for an entire pint of ice cream it honestly feels like cheating. And on top of that I think most of their flavors are actually pretty amazing, esp. birthday cake and mint chip (and S'mores HOLY SHIT I didn't think I'd enjoy this one but it's amazing). I've been trying to track down more of their newer flavors, but the stuff can be hard to find, which is a downside.

The other downside is that it's on the expensive side for sure. A local Target has some on sale for like $4.00 but it's usually $5.00 for a pint.

Anyway I just wanted to make a thread since I haven't seen many people discussing this brand, and it's helped me by seriously reducing the impact of my ice cream addiction on my weight.

Thoughts, GAF? Ps. if there is some awful cancer causing artificial sweetener in this, DON'T RUIN IT FOR ME. Well maybe ruin it for me, but know that I'll never forgive you.

Some fun stuff:

Here's an article about a girl who ate nothing but Halo Top for 5 days (Spoiler:
it's an awful idea
:
https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/halo-top-ice-cream-diet-happened

Here's a ranking of their flavors from some junk food blog or something (those exist I guess):
http://junkbanter.com/2016/10/20/review-ranking-17-halo-top-flavors/

I've had it before. When you crave ice cream to the point you will stab a motherfucker it might help.

But I would only have it in those situations. The amount is way too small and if you have it regularly you might one day decide you want more than a single container.

Basic betch food. I don't turn to ice cream to be good for my macros but I get why others would appreciate this concept. It costs way too much and is praised to be the next big thing since paleo.

But if you are so inclined to get your macros in nicely with ice cream Edy's Slow Churned has good macros and a good taste. Halo Top tastes pretty bleh to me and I have had most of the flavors thanks to my girlfriend and her sister.

Wow never heard of this stuff thanks op

As someone who almost eats no sugar and loves ice cream, this stuff might be for me. I'm gonna check it out

dbztrk

I can't find Halo in my neighborhood. I have tried Enlightened ice cream and it was good. I hope to try Halo some day.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Basic betch food. I don't turn to ice cream to be good for my macros but I get why others would appreciate this concept. It costs way too much and is praised to be the next big thing since paleo.

But if you are so inclined to get your macros in nicely with ice cream Edy's Slow Churned has good macros and a good taste. Halo Top tastes pretty bleh to me and I have had most of the flavors thanks to my girlfriend and her sister.

I probably understood about 40% of this post. I mean, I get the gist 100% but the specifics...

Nielm

Looks nice, but I'm not sure if it's available in the UK. Whenever I want to eat Ice Cream I usually get this:

icecream2.JPG

sphagnum

Banned
Theres a local creamery in Trenton called Halo suing them over the name. Never tried Halo Top. But the Trenton Halo is the best regular ice cream.

taco543

I've seen em at the store but didn't think they would taste good, I may have to give em a shot now. And honestly there's a local ice cream shop in town that makes fresh ice cream everyday and swaps flavors every month and they charge $10 a pint, I usually end up spending like 30-100 a month depending on the flavors available, so $5 doesn't seem that bad.

It's amazing. The Red Velvet and Cookie Dough flavors are better than some of the full fat brands with like 1/4 of the calories, idk how they do it

steveovig

Arctic Zero used to be my go-to ice cream with about as many macros and calories as two greek yogurts. But now, Halo Top has spoiled me. My local area started carrying them for $5 per pint and I barely get Arctic Zero anymore. I try to get one or two pints on the weekends and I couldn't ask for much better, if you're into fitness and nutrition.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Theres a local creamery in Trenton called Halo suing them over the name. Never tried Halo Top. But the Trenton Halo is the best regular ice cream.

It is pretty damn good and what I thought this thread was about lol

Edit: Seriously if you're ever in central Jersey and want some bomb ass ice cream try and find a Halo Farms Ice Cream parlor. There are only like 3 but damn its good.

DrArchon

I'd kill for that many flavors at my local grocery store. All we've got is Vanilla, Chocolate, Caramel, and Birthday Cake, and we only got the last two a month or two ago.

Yeah, it's pretty great.

Stinkles

Do you lift? Anything in particular that confuse you?

No, the vast majority of people on Earth don't lift or know specifics about bodybuilding diets.

Betch, macros, paleo. I have a vague awareness of the last one as some sort of fad-ish caveman diet.

I'm not being critical, just don't know the terms or how they apply to ice cream.

Azzurri

Arctic Zero used to be my go-to ice cream with about as many macros and calories as two greek yogurts. But now, Halo Top has spoiled me. My local area started carrying them for $5 per pint and I barely get Arctic Zero anymore. I try to get one or two pints on the weekends and I couldn't ask for much better, if you're into fitness and nutrition.

Arctic Zero literally tastes like shaved grainy ice chips.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
No, the vast majority of people on Earth don't lift or know specifics about bodybuilding diets.

Betch, macros, paleo. I have a vague awareness of the last one as some sort of fad-ish caveman diet.

"Betch" is a bitchier way of saying "bitch."

"Macros" is short in gym talk for "macronutrients," meaning protein, carbohydrates, and fats, because no hobby is worthwhile if it doesn't have terminology to confuse the normals.

"Paleo" is exactly what you already said it is. Fad diet in which you only eat what a caveman would have eaten, assuming a caveman had access to a Whole Foods.

Stinkles

"Betch" is a bitchier way of saying "bitch."

"Macros" is short in gym talk for "macronutrients," meaning protein, carbohydrates, and fats, because no hobby is worthwhile if it doesn't have terminology to confuse the normals.

"Paleo" is exactly what you already said it is. Fad diet in which you only eat what a caveman would have eaten, assuming a caveman had access to a Whole Foods.

Ah. Betch really threw me. I thought it was some variant of Binge. I would freaking love this ice cream. Even if it only tastes, like, a quarter as good as "real" ice cream.

Yeah, Cavemen lived to about 25. And often died with half of their teeth missing.

But don't worry, Paleo community has that covered:

https://paleoleap.com/why-cavemen-didnt-die-young/

(also their sourcing is ahem, slight)

This stuff is sooooo good. Lemon & Bday cake are my favs but they are all tasty with the exception of cookies & cream (not sure what happened with that one). I only get them when they are on sale, but then I'll stock up on quite a few.

steveovig

Arctic Zero literally tastes like shaved grainy ice chips.

Lol, yea but when you're on a good clean diet and you're craving some ice cream, you can't beat them. 150 calories isn't much, and on a diet, I'll dip into the Arctic Zeros even before Halo Tops. I won't touch HTs on a good cut/diet.

I had some but didn't find it to be anything particularly special.

And as an aside I learned through t his thread that I can't take people who use 'macros' (outside computing) seriously.

SS4Gogita

Henshin!
It's alright (have only tried the Peanut Butter one so far), but I honestly can't imagine eating an entire thing of it in one sitting.

You know people can't resist ice cream? because it combines sugar and fat in the same package. Human brain is wired in such a way that it's very easy to become additive to sugar and fat combo.

If you want to lose weight, do yourself a favor and eat less ice cream.

Mitch

Banned
Shit's good, y'all. Only issue I have is the $6 price. It's a once in a month kinda thing for me.

If I get ice cream, it's typically from Mitchell's here in Cleveland. Can't give up real, full fat ice cream!

Havok1313

You know people can't resist ice cream? because it combines sugar and fat in the same package. Human brain is wired in such a way that it's very easy to become additive to sugar and fat combo.

If you want to lose weight, do yourself a favor and eat less ice cream.

They are, kind of, when they eat this stuff. They whip a lot of air into Halo Top, I'm pretty sure. It weighs way less than a pint of Ben & Jerry's. It's kind of a scam for how much it costs.

nullref

My wife bought this stuff once, without noticing the low-calorie aspect. I found it... not very good. I'd rather just eat better ice cream less frequently and in smaller quantities.

I suppose if you have craving/control issues around ice cream specifically, it could be helpful, but I'm generally not about to eat a whole pint of ice cream. That's more like several servings, at least.

Boogie9IGN

Can somebody explain to this pleeb what "getting your macros" means?

For people on diets who watch the amount of macronutrients they're intaking, such as carbs/fat/sugar etc

Certain diets require you to hit a certain goal for each macro, hence eating food that fits/gets your macros

I'll def give Halo Top a try this weekend. I bought Arctic Zero's Butter Pecan once and that was horrible, I think I forced myself to eat half of the pint and tossed the rest. Anyone try the cookies n cream flavor? If not I'll prolly get cookie dough

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
YES! YES! YES!

My favorite flavors are definitely Cookie Dough, Mint Chocolate Chip, and Peanut Butter Cup---don't usually like Red Velvet till you hit the chocolate bits and then it goes to the next level.

mike6467

Can somebody explain to this pleeb what "getting your macros" means?

Looking at your daily carbohydrate/protein/fat needs depending on your goals, and consciously making sure you're hitting those numbers. You'll occasionally see people say they're aiming for 20-40-40 or some other breakdown, which refers to the percentage of one's daily calories that come from each type.

zbarron

I like Halo Top. The problem is the price. This week I got Breyers carb smart ice cream instead which is the same price and twice the size. I had some tonight with sliced strawberry and a little Whipped cream. I was able to fit all that in my daily limit of 20 net carbs.

BriGuy

They all taste like artificial sweetener. Or at least the two my sister made me try. Lemon and pistachio should not be interchangeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom