• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Top Ice Cream is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrapeApes

It's good this is getting in more locations. Been able to catch it on sale for 4 bucks recently. Hopefully big companies take note and start making flavorful diet ice creams. Would prefer a cheaper alternative that came in multiple flavors.
If you want to lose weight, do yourself a favor and eat less ice cream.
That's why this is so popular. People want to eat ice cream without nuking their diets.

Mimosa97

No, the vast majority of people on Earth don't lift or know specifics about bodybuilding diets.

Betch, macros, paleo. I have a vague awareness of the last one as some sort of fad-ish caveman diet.

I'm not being critical, just don't know the terms or how they apply to ice cream.

DO U EVEN LIFT BRO

Seems like a decent source of good amulites, but I've been running more than lifting lately so I prefer something with more encabs.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This thread reminds me of the diabetic ice cream I had a long time ago....it was some of the worst 'ice cream' I've ever fuckin eaten. Of course I don't expect the ice cream in this thread to be anywhere as bad but low sugar ? No fuckin chance, I'd just eat ice cream less.

The way to eat Halo Top is to sit it out on the counter for at least 20 minutes before eating so it softens up. It is godlike in its creamy form.

Strakt

Nah still tastes like shit

Y'all got terrible taste

I think you forgot to read the part where it said its 200~300 calories per pint compared to the standard ~1000 that ben and jerrys and others provide. It tastes extremely good for what it is.

For a diet ice cream it's pretty damn good.

It's just a shame it's super expensive.

My local Shop Rite had it on sale a week ago where a pint was 2.75, ended up getting like 8 pints just to hold onto.

Normal price at my Stop and Shop is nearly 6 bucks a pint! Highway robbery!

Costco also sells a 4 pack of birthday cake for I think 11 bucks.

clav

Eh, it has a lot of gum textures for easy scooping + artificial sugars.

Some flavors have organic sugar. What does that even mean?

Guess if you can afford it, whatever.

big_z

I'd love to try this since I watch what I eat and love ice cream but it's not available in Canada.

I don't get how cheese flavoured ice cream gets released in Canada but we can't get anything that's actually good.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Protein shake that's frozen and makes you shit real good.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
It's expensive and not fantastic honestly, but it's not bad either. You have to set it out for a while otherwise it's too frozen.

Takuan

Someone posted this brand in another thread and I tried looking for it, but I don't think it's widely available in Toronto yet.

Thought it was not very satisfying and way too expensive. Arctic Zero is even worse. Agreed with an earlier poster, Edy's slow churned is a much better option for "diet" ice cream.

Tubobutts

Coincidentally I just bought some for the first time. I got the cookie dough and it tastes fine expect for a weird aftertaste.

TylerD

The pistachio sucks and the texture is awful. The salted caramel is really damn good. Red Velvet and Birthday Cake were also good.

Kayhan

Just returned from Kroger with Cookies and Cream, and Peanut Butter flavors.

$4.89 for a pint? Is that expensive?

Eating the Cookies and Cream and the taste is OK but not great.

I wanted Red Velvet Cake but that was the one flavor they didn't have.

ryseing

Thread made me morbidly curious so I picked up pints of Mint Chip+PBC today. Opened the mint chip and it isn't bad considering.

$6 for a pint though... My uni has a creamery with homemade ice cream and it's $5. Obviously way less healthy but extremely tasty. If they could get it to $4 regularly I'm sure it would be a even bigger hit. As it is, the grocery store I went to in a wealthier suburb was sold out of a couple of flavors.

Oh boy. It has that artificial sweetener aftertaste. Bleh.

GatorBait

Had tried Arctic Zero before and found it totally underwhelming, but I've been meaning to try Halo Top ever since my grocery store finally started stocking it. Decided to finally pull the trigger tonight after seeing this thread. Ate an entire pint of Birthday Cake while watching TV. Holy shit, for what it is, it's really good!

I think I just found my new "cheat" treat while on this cut...but at only 280 calories and 24g of protein (for the Birthday Cake flavor, at least), it doesn't even feel like a cheat. I could totally down a couple pints on the weekend and legitimately feel like my diet wasn't negatively impacted. I'm just curious to see if I have any stomach issues with the sugar alcohols and prebiotic fiber.

Arctic Zero literally tastes like shaved grainy ice chips.

Yep, that's basically exactly what it tastes like. I thought Arctic Zero was simply ok. I didn't really like or dislike it, and I haven't bought it again since trying it. The key thing is, it wouldn't be satisfying at all as an ice cream substitute whereas I already know Halo Top can do that for me.

SMattera

Step 1: Empty an entire pint of the Peanut Butter Chocolate flavor into a large milkshake cup or bowl.

Step 2: Take Quest Cravings Peanut Butter Cups. Break them up into little pieces in your hands. Dump in. Mix together.

So good. It's like a medium DQ Blizzard but with half as many calories, only a quarter of the sugar, and a ton of protein. With all the protein, it's actually quite filling and I've eaten it as a meal replacement. Expensive though.

I tried the cookies and cream last night which was apparently the lowest ranked flavor on that website but I thought it was pretty good.. not quite the "real thing" but I liked it

Velikost

Do you lift? Anything in particular that confuse you?

The fact that mans said this unironically tho

iO6qYTe.gif

Are they sugar free or just really small?

Could you make a regular sized pint with a sugar substitute like Stevia or use bananas as a sweetner for the same caloric density?

painey

If you consider that a large Blizzard is between $4 and $5, I don't find the price of this unreasonable. It is a treat after all.

I wouldn't think $7 for a Bud Light in the store was reasonable just because it costs $9 at a baseball game. Ben & Jerrys and Haagen Daas are routinely on sale for $3 a pint so I can never justify paying a premium to try a 'healthy' version of ice cream.

forrest

formerly nacire
Are they sugar free or just really small?

Could you make a regular sized pint with a sugar substitute like Stevia or use bananas as a sweetner for the same caloric density?

Here is a pic of the nutritional info. The ingredient list states organic stevia is used.

This is the chocolate almond crunch
halotoppesx2.jpg

phaonaut

Really surprised at the calories, apparently it uses erythritol as its main sweetner, third most ingredient after milk/cream and eggs.

Looks interesting, I'll keep an eye out for it.

Halo Top is a staple in our house! My partner has a serious sweet tooth so this stuff is a godsend to get him his fix without being a giant nightly calorie bomb.

All flavors ranked from best to worst:

God Tier
Peanut Butter Cup
Red Velvet
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

Great
Chocolate Mocha Chip
Chocolate Almond Crunch
Oatmeal Cookie (perennial dark horse favorite)

Solid
Chocolate
Vanilla Bean
Strawberry
Pistachio
Birthday Cake
Mint Chip

Only If You're a Huge a Fan of the Flavor Profile
Lemon Cake
Sea Salt Caramel
Black Cherry

Maybe If It's The Only Flavor Left