• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Top Ice Cream is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falchion

Halo Top is indeed amazing. Since I found out about it a few weeks ago I've tried all the flavors that I'm interested in and they're all fantastic. Can't believe how low cal it is.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
It's having a moment, that's for sure. My GF has been obsessed with it for a while.

NandoGip

I don't eat ice cream because of the calories and sugar, so this is a great alternative. I usually only eat a few scoops so it's almost like I'm eating nothing when I get these.

I probably understood about 40% of this post. I mean, I get the gist 100% but the specifics...

Don't lie Stinkles, you know you're only in this thread because you thought this was going to be about Chocolate Chip Chief, Arbiter Sorbet, and Chunky Brute Cheesecake icecreams.

Edit: and Grunt Birthday Cake

HvySky

Ice cream is my kryptonite. I can't buy it without it being completely gone by the next day. This has piqued my interest, and apparently the grocery store just down the street from my place sells it! I know what I'm getting tonight.

gaiages

Banned
I like it a lot, it's even semi-low carb if you don't eat the entire pint in one go. But, the stores in my area don't really have many flavors :( They're slowly (slooooooooooowly) getting more though... the cookie dough one just recently appeared at Walmart, and that one's great. I hope someday to see the peanut butter or birthday cakes ones ;-;

skybald

Nothing about Halo Top is incredible except how low the value proposition is.

That being said, I have no guilt eating this stuff and when I can get it for less than $3 a pint, I stock up.

The taste is ok for the most part, but the texture does not compare to full fat / sugar ice cream. Since I had a spat of veganism years ago and only drink diet soda, I am not turned off by the no-cal sweeteners or odd texture difference though.

I can totally see why it doesn't appeal to a lot of people

Soulfang

Neo Member
Halo Top Oatmeal Cookie is fantastic.

Also, there's another low-cal ice cream out there like this (Enlightened), and their Cold Brew Coffee flavor is insanely creamy and delicious. Highly recommended.

DonShula

I've tried most of the flavors and just didn't care for them. And you need to let them melt a bit before you eat so they don't have that odd texture. They don't calm the sweet tooth.

I'd rather have half a Talenti sorbetto pint, or a third of a Ben & Jerry's Froyo for the same calories. Much better taste and won't leave you feeling as sluggish.

Edit: and that awful price, as someone mentioned above. Ouch.

yea very impressed that it tastes this good w/ this few carbs

i am liking peanut butter cup the most so far bc it is the least sweet of what i've tried (mint chip, strawberry, smores, pbc). great for a low carb alternative. can make some p solid pb and chocolate milkshakes with this and cocoa powder that are still like only a few grams of net carbs.

Have to ask again about the expensive remarks. Are you all buying this at Whole Foods or something? ~$4 per pint is what I see around me.

noomi

Bought this recently and it's pretty good. Doesn't taste like regular ice cream though... the best way I can describe it is "grainy".

Not bad though.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bought this recently and it's pretty good. Doesn't taste like regular ice cream though... the best way I can describe it is "grainy".

Not bad though.

I agree... not bad but definitely grainy and makes my throat kind of feel weird if I get more than a 1/4 of the pint at a time.

I do like it though and the caloric aspect is great.

I live on Cape Cod. We have an absurd amount of great mom and pop ice cream places.

So I just exercise more. Seems worth it more than these kind of alternatives, but that's just me.

SMattera

I live on Cape Cod. We have an absurd amount of great mom and pop ice cream places.

So I just exercise more. Seems worth it more than these kind of alternatives, but that's just me.

Do you know how much exercising you need to do to work off a pint of Ben and Jerry's?

Depends on the flavor, but it's generally 1000+ calories.

To burn that, the average person would need to run 10 miles.

Or you can have a pint of Halo Top, which is only one-third as many calories.

Pein

Banned
Why not just eat half a pint of ben and jerrys? This is like the episode of hey Arnold where Harold eats double the amount of ice cream because it's half the fat and calories.

killroy87

Why not just eat half a pint of ben and jerrys? This is like the episode of hey Arnold where Harold eats double the amount of ice cream because it's half the fat and calories.

Half a pint of B&J is still almost double a full pint of this stuff. B&J hovers around 250-300 calories (and above) for a quarter of a pint. And that's not counting extra fat, extra sugar, and less protein.

It tastes like air and it isn't filling so I eat the whole pint and am still hungry later.

I find a couple of tablespoons of Fage full fat yogurt with a half teaspoon of honey drizzled over it much more filling.

Fat = satiating.

I have one every few weeks here and stock up when on sale, I just wish they stocked more flavors, they usually only have about 5.

LogicStep

I just bought 4 different ones since they were on sale for $3 each. I just tried the mint chip and it's great. Tastes really good! Mind you I've been watching what I eat and don't really eat much sweet stuff so this to me is great.

redvelvet_newlid_1024x1024.png

tried this last night.. really good

has even less sugar than halo top

Fantastical

Death Prophet
redvelvet_newlid_1024x1024.png

tried this last night.. really good

has even less sugar than halo top

Eh.. pretty lame for putting the 70 in big font when it's per serving. Halo Top gives you the real deal.. full calorie count for the pint. I never eat the entire pint in one sitting, but that's the way it should be done.

Halo-Top-10-New-Flavors-feature.jpg

Anybody else love this stuff? As someone who is trying to lose weight, ice cream has always been a gigantic weakness of mine. If it's in the house, I'll inevitably end up eating an entire pint of the stuff in one sitting right before I fall asleep AKA the worst thing I could possibly be doing.

With this stuff I can just gobble down a whole pint and feel significantly less guilty. I mean 240-320 cal isn't nothing but for an entire pint of ice cream it honestly feels like cheating. And on top of that I think most of their flavors are actually pretty amazing, esp. birthday cake and mint chip (and S'mores HOLY SHIT I didn't think I'd enjoy this one but it's amazing). I've been trying to track down more of their newer flavors, but the stuff can be hard to find, which is a downside.

The other downside is that it's on the expensive side for sure. A local Target has some on sale for like $4.00 but it's usually $5.00 for a pint.

Anyway I just wanted to make a thread since I haven't seen many people discussing this brand, and it's helped me by seriously reducing the impact of my ice cream addiction on my weight.

Thoughts, GAF? Ps. if there is some awful cancer causing artificial sweetener in this, DON'T RUIN IT FOR ME. Well maybe ruin it for me, but know that I'll never forgive you.

Some fun stuff:

Here's an article about a girl who ate nothing but Halo Top for 5 days (Spoiler:
it's an awful idea
:
https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/halo-top-ice-cream-diet-happened

Here's a ranking of their flavors from some junk food blog or something (those exist I guess):
http://junkbanter.com/2016/10/20/review-ranking-17-halo-top-flavors/

what are the carbs for the entire pint?

BruceCLea

Banned
Basic betch food. I don't turn to ice cream to be good for my macros but I get why others would appreciate this concept. It costs way too much and is praised to be the next big thing since paleo.

But if you are so inclined to get your macros in nicely with ice cream Edy's Slow Churned has good macros and a good taste. Halo Top tastes pretty bleh to me and I have had most of the flavors thanks to my girlfriend and her sister.

giphy.gif

Clipse

Saw these on sale for $4 each at my local super market and picked up vanilla and chocolate. Vanilla is pretty good, haven't tried the chocolate yet.

How are the pistachio and oatmeal cookie flavors? Will probably pick those up before they go back to regular price.

Saw these on sale for $4 each at my local super market and picked up vanilla and chocolate. Vanilla is pretty good, haven't tried the chocolate yet.

How are the pistachio and oatmeal cookie flavors? Will probably pick those up before they go back to regular price.
Both are good but there are many superior flavors.

Who's tried ones from the new batch?

My take so far:
Candy Bar, delicious and possibly best in show of the new ones. Has a very Snickers taste but is a tad on the sweet side.

Pancakes and Waffles, excellent and very true to its name. I ate the whole pint in one sitting. Very, very good.

Caramel Macchiato, a home run, great coffee flavor with a nice caramel hit, great.

Chocolate Banana, not bad with a decent banana flavor although it veers toward the artificial side. This would be much better with some chopped nuts thrown in.

Rainbow Swirl, it wants to be sherbet but it has a very cloying fake fruit taste. Not my favorite but I can imagine it will find a niche audience. Great looking carton though.

Green Tea Mochi, really disgusting with a very murky, funky aftertaste. This batch's Cookies & Cream.

I have yet to see or try Cinnamon Bun or the seasonal Pumpkin Pie flavor. Anyone find these yet?

I've seen this at the store, but assumed it was low calorie/sugar substitute/low fat crap. Is it not? If I eat Ice Cream, i don't want low fat.

Poppy

i tried it, just not my thing. i can deal with the repercussions of eating a pint of ben and jerrys, i have accepted that this is my life

Roubjon

Both are good but there are many superior flavors.

Who's tried ones from the new batch?

My take so far:
Candy Bar, delicious and possibly best in show of he new ones. Has a very Snickers taste but is a tad on the sweet side.

Pancakes and Waffles, excellent and very true to its name. I ate the whole pint in one sitting. Very, very good.

Caramel Macchiato, a home run, great coffee flavor with a nice caramel hit, great.

Chocolate Banana, not bad with a decent banana flavor although it veers toward the artificial side. This would be much better with some chopped nuts thrown in.

Rainbow Swirl, it wants to be sherbet but it has a very cloying fake fruit taste. Not my favorite but I can imagine it will find a niche audience. Great looking carton though.

Green Tea Mochi, really disgusting with a very murky, funky aftertaste. This batch's Cookies & Cream.

I have yet to see or try Cinnamon Bun or the seasonal Pumpkin Pie flavor. Anyone find these yet?

No where near me has any of those flavors and i'm sad. I want to try Chocolate Banana, Candy Bar, and Pancake and Waffles so badly.

I am a type 1 Diabetic so the low sugar content in these is fantastic. I am pretty picky.

however certain flavors of this stuff is freaking good.

#1 Mint Chip
#2. S'mores
#3. Red Velvet
#4. Peanut butter cup

avoid. Pistachio, Birthday Cake, Salted Carmel .

Those are the only ones I have had.

I tired this and did not like it at all. The consistency was awful.

Totally this. Icy junk.

The carton explains this. If you eat it right from the freezer yeah its frozen hard. Let it sit for awhile and its pretty close to the real thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom