• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Beta Live on PC (12GB) [Up: And Xbox One]

etta

my hard graphic balls
Shame :( Tutorial is a bit meh due to its limitations but did you get to try the mode out?
Ughh shit, already deleted it. Maybe I'll give it another go, but the genre was never something I was into. I wanted to try this more for the Halo universe.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'd give it another go, even if you don't like the genre all that much.

The announcer from the main games are there with like "overkill" and those so you get the Halo feel + 3v3 is kinda great.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I'd give it another go, even if you don't like the genre all that much.

The announcer from the main games are there with like "overkill" and those so you get the Halo feel + 3v3 is kinda great.

All Ive played is 3v3 and I love it. Im getting more confident in my strats and how to structure my army. I want to try 2v2, but not until I have a good teammate with a mic haha.

Ok, you are just doing a reset and not a full reinstall right? One is faster than the other.

And 51GB is totally wrong. Wow. I hope when everyone does the Creator's Update that this bullshit is over.

Haha, sorry of the misunderstanding fam. I was referring to Forza Horizon 3 there. I got 8GB for Halo Wars 2.

RoKKeR

Man, winning in a decisive moment in Blitz is a great feeling. I'm really enjoying the mode, even though I do want to give the longer, base-building modes a go.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Tried the tutorial, couldn't get into it. Not my type, it's gonna be a pass for me. I'm glad it has been receiving warm impressions, though.

Er-This is a side mode that is only being featured for this beta. It's not the main game.

As it is, what's souring me is that I can't seem to choose different faction leaders in the rounds despite everyone else being able to. I'm apparently auto-ready/locked to the starting faction. WTF.

Zeta Oni

Er-This is a side mode that is only being featured for this beta. It's not the main game.

As it is, what's souring me is that I can't seem to choose different faction leaders in the rounds despite everyone else being able to. I'm apparently auto-ready/locked to the starting faction. WTF.

Had the same issue, the leader selection screen would not load in the pre game lobby.

Idk how to fix directly, but to solve the leader issue another way you can go to the deck menu, pick a leader and in the submenu where you can choose between the 3 custom decks for your chosen leader, you have an option to favorite a deck (Y on Xbox). If you do that, it will load that build as the default even if the leader select screen fails to load before your match.

Danny 117

Loving the small change that they made to the Menu theme from the first beta. The soundtrack is shaping up to be quite amazing. Heard the Spirit of Fire theme from the first game on the "Pre Order now" screen too!

But again I'll stress- this beta needs another much larger map so I can get more of a feel for the mode.

Novocaine

My brother was saying that he was struggling with a 2015 Surface Book (i7 + dGPU), so I imagine it wouldn't go well.

I'll try downloading it to a SP4 quickly to see how It goes.

Yeah I want expecting much honestly. But it would have been nice to have the option seeing as I'll be leaving town for a week a couple of days after it launches.

Synth

Yeah I want expecting much honestly. But it would have been nice to have the option seeing as I'll be leaving town for a week a couple of days after it launches.

Just tried running it on the Pro 4.

When I say "it doesn't run"... I really mean it. First attempt the game simply closed itself the moment it was done loading into the map, I tried again forcing the screen res down to 720p, and then it loaded into the map, but the graphics were glitching out in a way that had me fearing for my SP4's life, so I quit out again, lol. The framerate looked like it would actually been playable if it were able to actually draw it correctly though.

Anion

Friend and I started playing tonight. We're horrible at first but now we are so competent. MICROMANGEMENT FTW

Novocaine

Just tried running it on the Pro 4.

When I say "it doesn't run"... I really mean it. First attempt the game simply closed itself the moment it was done loading into the map, I tried again forcing the screen res down to 720p, and then it loaded into the map, but the graphics were glitching out in a way that had me fearing for my SP4's life, so I quit out again, lol. The framerate looked like it would actually been playable if it were able to actually draw it correctly though.

Ah well. I appreciate the test. I think I'll spare my poor SP3 the punishment of trying to run this. At least it runs the first game okay.

Woorloog

Banned
I like how people are making decisive judgements based off of a 2 minute tutorial.

It is a terrible tutorial. Bad and annoying. It restricts the player too much, managed to have too much and too little information at once, and doesn't actually let the player practice skills supposedly taught in the tutorial. The annoying part is taking away control from the player constantly.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Think you could carry me? :D
0b041dd3612b15d0bddb938d2310bc4095a15f87.gif

Leyasu

Banned
OK, so although blitz will grow on me, it's easy to see that this will be a great game.

Shame that they are going to lock firefight behind the card pack system.

Day one

ManCannon

Man, winning in a decisive moment in Blitz is a great feeling. I'm really enjoying the mode, even though I do want to give the longer, base-building modes a go.
As people get more experience and more cards I'm noticing games getting tighter overall and more competitive/enjoyable. I just hit the 9 hour mark. Most played is "Cutter" but that's a combination of getting multiple Cutter-related challenges and a few accidental starts where I forgot to change my leader.

Surprisingly 3v3 is really growing on me. It's hectic but I've had some really great close battles that went the distance and some massive battles have played out. 4 to 6 ultra units/abilities being played at once is ridiculously awesome.

bigDave

there are some cards that are locked for a specific UNSC sergeant (forgot name)

so there will be 4 UNSC and 3 banished?

Played the beta. It's a simply game, console oriented IMHO.

i really want a new Age of empires.

This is one mode and the most casual one at that. To be honest I think it was a bit of a mistake using this mode for the PC Beta where the much more experienced and hardcore RTS players are. I think it may be giving some of them the wrong idea about what this game is. The standard modes have no card abilities like this and it features base building etc.

Also pretty crazy to see some people already level 10+. I've put in 10 hours and am only rank 6

Lucifon

Haven't kept up with the thread...how ppl liking the game so far? Good (I know, might be hard to judge from a few modes).

Love it, my friends are really enjoying it too which is great. Can't wait for the final release. Game is feeling much more polished all around since the last beta. Blitz is alot more fun than I expected, will probably end up playing it alot in the final game.

I have no interest in 1v1 base building rts stuff but find Blitz so easy to jump into. Will probably be my go to 1v1 mode and the main mode for 2v2/3v3. Still great with others too, looking forward to delving into deck building more.

blakep267

Maybe I'm not not looking at it right, but is there a way to win when the opponents put artillary units on the ridge between point B & C?

I've seen this in a few games. They don't care if you take A, but the big units get placed on a ridge and destroy you if you try and take either point.

Majine

Banned
Being colored by Starcraft 2, I find it hard to not having the ability to cue up several movement commands at once.

Or am I missing something?

Werd

Being colored by Starcraft 2, I find it hard to not having the ability to cue up several movement commands at once.

Or am I missing something?

Granted by some oversight there is no visual indicator which there obviously should be, but you can in fact cue them up. I've used it to cue up grab point > go to energy without issue.
You can't cue up a move and then an ability action though, which you can in SC.

edit: Since you said StarCraft I'm assuming PC version.

Maybe I'm not not looking at it right, but is there a way to win when the opponents put artillary units on the ridge between point B & C?

I've seen this in a few games. They don't care if you take A, but the big units get placed on a ridge and destroy you if you try and take either point.

It's rock, paper, scissors. If they have artillery stationed go in with air and wreck them. Of if they have some anti air for protection save up some resources and drop one of the Ultra units / abilities on them.

Holding the ridge is a good tactic but beatable

RoKKeR

Yeah, this does make it extremely difficult and I'd say it's a bit unbalanced at the moment.

That feel when your team gets destroyed by 2 condors and 3 spartans equipped with bubble shields.... Can I pls have my Red Team already :(

having lots of fun otherwise

Leyasu

Banned
I played this earlier and my boy was watching me. So I didn't really look at my loadouts before the matches.

I will get back on this tomorrow night.

Can't wait for the full release now

There's a couple strategies that I find useful - assuming you're talking about the UNSC tanks, remember that they can't fire at point blank range and they can't hit air. You could do damage just by popping units on top of the Kodiaks, but you'll want to use anti-vehicles for fastest kills - Cyclops and Hunters. Air also works, but beyond Banshees (60) they are pretty expensive (Hornets 80, Vulture 140).

Blisterbacks (the flying crabs) arguably do more damage, but have less health. Since they are flying units when not in rocket mode, anti-air shreds them very fast.

With that said, artillery builds are a real deal in the game. I have a set of cards for Cutter that I center around plopping Kodiaks around the map (Cutter has exclusive Stealth Kodiak), Wolverines and Cyclops.

Game is really tough, I've not played an RTS online ever but I just seem to be left behind a lot, like I'l; be slowly building up my troops then boom 2 scorpions come along. Also is there a chat on PC? Can't seem to find it.

Akoi

Thinking of picking up the ultimate edition of this on Amazon (the PC physical release) seems like that version is the the best version to get since it comes with everything and play anywhere on all the included content right?

That and it's the cheapest way to get it as well because of the 20% discount.

Top Bottom