• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Wars 2 Review Thread

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
So far almost every 6-7 score rates it that way because they want to compare it to StarCraft 2... that seems a poor way of rating a game.

Are they going to rate the next FPS Halo game against Counter Strike now?

Games Journalism :p

Yeah, as someone who is a fan if strategy games, but cant really deal with something as hard as say, XCOM, HW2 is awesome for me. Id love to see more lighter strategy games like it going forward.

didn't even know this was close to release, let alone out.

It's likely dipping below 80 with IGN weighing in and being pretty down on it.

And wih the utterly absent marketing for this title, i'm not expecting this to be a significant blip on the radar.

This is just the lack of interest in Xbox games from your standpoint thus resulting in not being up to date with news on the platform, turn on an Xbox or follow anything related to it on twitter and you would have noticed it was heavily promoted.

Hell it even was featured at E3 last year with a beta demo following shortly after.

Will probably pick this up on PC for the better controls but I'm waiting until they fix the bugs. Crashes, infinite loading screens, 5-10 second freezes, units getting stuck, mission events failing to trigger (forcing a replay mission) it doesn't sound great.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Down to 79 on opencritic

With the IGN review yet to drop.

I think it matters very little for this game either way. Reviews are overall pretty decent so it at least isn't a technical trainwreck.
People in love with the first one are going to enjoy more of the same with HW2, people who didn't get into the first one likely won't find anything new.

Matt

Article came off as kind of insulting. It's almost if he was saying shame man MS for making an RTS game

Also for the record I'm not a warrior against reviews or anything. I don't even really care about HW2 to be honest.
Eh, reviewer just didn't like it very much.

Good solid reviews, I wish more RTS would come to console.

Article came off as kind of insulting. It's almost if he was saying shame man MS for making an RTS game

Also for the record I'm not a warrior against reviews or anything. I don't even really care about HW2 to be honest.

Insulting? Read fine to me.....

Lom1lo

Honestly its no surprise that the reviews are so contrary. I understand the low scores if they were searching for some deep mechanics and so on, like some other rts have. But I dont think its okay to compare Halo Wars to those games, thats not the pupose of the game. This stuff is not in the game because it is a casual rts. Why not give battlefield a 5/10 because its not as deep as arma ?
If you are looking for a deep game, then look at the low scores and if you are looking for a casual/beginner rts that just works without investing much time, look at the high scores. The low scores are not because of the lack of quality, they are because of diffrent viewpoints. And because of this I think the metascore for this game is useless.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Honestly its no surprise that the reviews are so contrary. I understand the low scores if they were searching for some deep mechanics and so on, like some other rts have. But I dont think its okay to compare Halo Wars to those games, thats not the pupose of the game. This stuff is not in the game because it is a casual rts. Why not give battlefield a 5/10 because its not as deep as arma ?
If you are looking for a deep game, then look at the low scores and if you are looking for a casual/beginner rts that just works without investing much time, look at the high scores. The low scores are not because of the lack of quality, they are because of diffrent viewpoints. And because of this I think the metascore for this game is useless.
I agree, it's not the deepest of RTS but it's not the easiest either. It's a nice middle ground for both sides to relax and play, there are a lot of ways and strategies to play out with upgrades timing etc if you want to 'micro' it to such a degree.

Chobel

I read the review twice, and I honestly couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in the review.

Theorry

Jup agree.

Brakara

Creative Assembly is now Halo Wars and Total Wars game factory. Don't expect anything else from them.

Aren't they owned by Sega? I think they have a say in the matter, like if they want another Aliens game instead, like say, an Aliens vs. Predator RTS (though technically that's Starcraft).

Point being, I highly doubt they'll be churning out only Total War and Halo Wars games.

Chobel

Aren't they owned by Sega? I think they have a say in the matter, like if they want another Aliens game instead, like say, an Aliens vs. Predator RTS (though technically that's Starcraft).

Point being, I highly doubt they'll be churning out only Total Wars and Halo Wars games.

Well, they have exactly two teams: "Halo Wars Team" and "Total War Team", I mean literally named like that http://www.creative-assembly.com/jobs.

Theorry

I highly doubt we get a Halo Wars every 3 years or so. Maybe we dont even get Halo Wars 3. Or maybe in 8 years again.

Lifeline

Creative Assembly is now Halo Wars and Total War game factory. Don't expect anything else from them.

No way, Aliens isolation was way too good for them to just give up on that franchise. Just need to refine some things and it'll be one of the best survival horror franchises.

blakep267

I have to make a disclaimer because it seems that if you don't 100% agree with a review you get labeled a warrior. I just read it and it seemed weird

I was referring to the line where it said where it said, why make a halo wars game, to fill a hole? Well yeah. Why else would they greenlight the game? For fun. And also Halo isn't completely irrelevant as he seems to say

Or do we have to keep calling it babies first RTS? Ok we get it it's not deep.

I didn't get that from the review at all. He just didn't care for the game much, and while it shines among console RTSs (naturally, as there are very few) it pales in comparison and feels too shallow against all of it peers on PC. I don't know where you got the idea he was trying to shame MS for making an RTS, at all.

Chobel

Is there any reason for that belief other than the fact that they have a "Halo Wars"-team on their website? Honestly curious :eek:

No, but I think choosing "Halo Wars" of all names as the team's name is more than enough proof that they're planing to develop only Halo Wars games. I mean beside the name being really explicit, the IP doesn't belong to Sega, yet they choose to name it that way.

Similar argument can be said about "Total War" with a bonus that Total War games are popular on PC, so there's no way they'll stop making them.

I have to make a disclaimer because it seems that if you don't 100% agree with a review you get labeled a warrior. I just read it and it seemed weird

I was referring to the line where it said where it said, why make a halo wars game, to fill a hole? Well yeah. Why else would they greenlight the game? For fun. And also Halo isn't completely irrelevant as he seems to say

Or do we have to keep calling it babies first RTS? Ok we get it it's not deep.

I read it as why would they greenlight Halo Wars 2 instead of something else.

And he didn't say Halo is irrelevant, he said "Halo is [not] as relevant today as it was in 2007", so making spin-off from it doesn't sound like a good decision, especially that the game (according to him) is not good.

Chobel

I highly doubt we get a Halo Wars every 3 years or so. Maybe we dont even get Halo Wars 3. Or maybe in 8 years again.

It's happening in 3-4 years, maybe even 2. Sega didn't create Halo Wars team just so they can sit there doing nothing.

Outrun

Stupid question. How do you build scorpion tanks?

I am not sure what I am doing wrong...

What conditions need to be met?

Thanks.

It's happening in 3-4 years, maybe even 2. Sega didn't create Halo Wars team just so they can sit there doing nothing.

Did they specifically make a Halo Wars team in CA? I thought it was the Alien Isolation team, who had previously done their other console stuff like Spartan: Total Warrior or whatever it was called.

Brakara

They're calling that team whatever they're working on at the moment. And, obviously, they can't publicly change the name until the next title is revealed.

Magwik

Banned
They're calling that team whatever they're working on at the moment. And, obviously, they can't publicly change the name until the next title is revealed.
It's also easier to say "hey it's the Halo Wars 2 team with a new game"

But I'd hope Halo Wars 2 does well enough to continue on. Still sucks that so many people in my friends group dismiss it because of the Windows Store. Can't say I blame them though.

You just don't get that 'wow' factor with RTS imo, there's little room for innovation in the gameplay, not to mention being on a console means the control scheme will be criticised.

Nearly 1000 hours of Halo Wars 1 played here and Halo Wars 2 Ultimate pre-ordered, so if it looked like a driveby troll comment, I apologise :)

Offworld Trading Company says hi, it's a recent PC RTS designed by the Civ4 Lead Designer that has ZERO combat and is all about managing economy, trading resources, and claiming land. It's a VERY innovative model for an RTS, and proves there's plenty of room for innovation in the genre.

Top Bottom