• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

Cañón_Brute_005.jpg

I always liked how Brutes looked exactly like my illegitimate older brother, right down to the fur and 3 gigantic toes.

My knowledge of Halo lore outside of the games is questionable at best, but upon reflection; wasn't that old animatronic boy Guilty Spark Lasoriggidized into tiny parts, and then further disentegrated by the explosion of the ark? Or was he retrieved by the mega corporation and turned into the 6 Million Dollar Robot? Actually I'm going to patent that.
Please excuse me, but my online technobabble is derogatory of my actual English skills. I had the help research what IIRC and GS means, and all I got on GS was something that those Africohoohadys from the jungle do to attempt to mate. They were fired immediately for uttering such an obsenity. Would you please confirm what GS means for me?

But aside from that, is there a chance he's alive and floating?
I always liked how Brutes looked exactly like my illegitimate older brother, right down to the fur and 3 gigantic toes.
lmfao You are now my favorite poster in HaloGAF.
I'm the master of 3sks in swat.
iChuckled

aj1467

My knowledge of Halo lore outside of the games is questionable at best, but upon reflection; wasn't that old animatronic boy Guilty Spark Lasoriggidized into tiny parts, and then further disentegrated by the explosion of the ark? Or was he retrieved by the mega corporation and turned into the 6 Million Dollar Robot? Actually I'm going to patent that.

This will fill you in better than I can describe it xD

http://www.halopedia.org/343_Guilty_Spark#Post_Human-Covenant_War_recovery

Note: the story spark is described as telling is covered in the book Primordium. Book two of the forerunner saga :]

Fuchsdh

Part of me really hopes the Flood stay dead. Haven't read this Escalation comic but it doesn't sound good on that account. Every victory from Halo 3 has since been nullified, save for the Flood. They'll surely return, but it's nice to want things.

Well, Chief saved the universe from a second Flood infestation, I call that a victory.

There's plenty of room for the Flood to come back, because they're a key ingredient in the balance of power in the galaxy, and they're a loose end--they killed off the immediate threat but it's always still one bad containment protocol away from disaster.

In on the of the preview vids of Cairo Station I believe I remember one of the guys saying that the visually updated Elites would be an amalgamation of the Elites across the series, or something like that?

So does that mean the Brutes will look sorta like Halo 3/Halo Reach brutes rather than just updated versions of this:

Cañón_Brute_005.jpg

Well 343 already made the appearance of Brutes canon in the story "Stomping On the Heels of a Fuss" (some Brutes packs were closer in style to the 'feral' Halo 2 ones, and others were armored like in Halo 3 and Maccabeus' pack in Contact Harvest.)

So there's no reason to "up-armor" them, especially since they don't have shields like Halo 3 and ODST.

Note: the story spark is described as telling is covered in the book Primordium. Book two of the forerunner saga :]

Ah, it's good to reread the SURGEON files they had on Waypoint (these supplemental materials really need to get put somewhere better for new fans to find them.)

Interesting tidbit I glossed over last time--Installation 03 was found slightly before Delta Halo by civilians, instead of the UNSC. I assumed they'd found Installation 03 in the time between Halo 3 and 4, but apparently not. Would explain why'd they would go back to the Ark too--if you can find the locations of the Halos from there you aren't scouring the galaxy in vain.

That sneaky little lightbulb. Even utterly destroyed he continues to be a thorn in my very wealthy and polished backside.

lmfao You are now my favorite poster in HaloGAF

You, good sir, are a man of fine quality and tastes. We should discuss politics and trans-atlantic economics over glasses of scotch whilst the help buys companies for us.

Toa TAK

Banned
If you really want those skulls you could just return the game unopenened once they email you the code. Amazon always accepts returns and I thnk BB and GS do if the shrink wrap is still on.
On the update they said they would all be available soon anyways, right?

I just wonder how that will work. Will the code you get just unlock access or what?

Mistel

Banned
Edit. For some reason I was remembering it as 'both' 343s being a part of the one entity (kinda like how Cortana could split herself up). But according to the wiki the one in the book was the one MC encountered on Halo? Odd. Perhaps I'm more rusty on this stuff than I first thought
There's never been a second guilty spark that I'm aware of other than a hallucination in a terminal in anniversary were he is descending into rampancy out of isolation.

Edit. For some reason I was remembering it as 'both' 343s being a part of the one entity (kinda like how Cortana could split herself up). But according to the wiki the one in the book was the one MC encountered on Halo? Odd. Perhaps I'm more rusty on this stuff than I first thought

it was showed in Halo CEA, when guilty spark started to wandering in his instalation about possible outcomes on his other bros not operative signals about the forerunners fatal flaw of letting the monitors being isolated from each other and spark thought about a possible "companion" fix imaging a second monitor on his side that probably could fix the malfunction/rampancy.

aj1467

Ah, it's good to reread the SURGEON files they had on Waypoint (these supplemental materials really need to get put somewhere better for new fans to find them.)

Interesting tidbit I glossed over last time--Installation 03 was found slightly before Delta Halo by civilians, instead of the UNSC. I assumed they'd found Installation 03 in the time between Halo 3 and 4, but apparently not. Would explain why'd they would go back to the Ark too--if you can find the locations of the Halos from there you aren't scouring the galaxy in vain.

Yeah. They need to put them and the data drops in the universe section of waypoint... Or something.

I keep them saved on my laptop for easy viewing.

It'd be cool if the "chief goes back to the ark" theory is true. The hazardous conditions mentioned in those files would be interesting to see.

Nebula

So what's the deal with all the DLC for 2, 3 and 4 with the Master Chief Collection by the way? All for free already on disc?

It's gonna be such a grind unlocking stuff in Halo 4 again. I don't know if I have it in me

Stopping at 60 CSR, enough to unlock the standard stuff, and unlocked the only specialize perk I cared about, Stability, which I believe was Rouge.

I honestly won't even play Halo 4. I'll spend most of my time with Halo 3.

Nebula

I'll only be playing 4 for the Mongoose. It's possibly the best Halo for it if you're going solo. Halo 3 for the rest of it though.

Some things, like the bridge skip on Assault on the Control room I knew about, but what he was pulling off on Silent Cartographer was amazing. I have learned a lot and it's not even over.

I kept up with tricking and speedrunning constantly back in the day. I'm gonna school you fools in Halo 2 campaign.

ElRenoRaven

Great run. CE and Halo 2 are my favorite speedruns to watch, probably cause they're so fucking hard. Props to Goatrope

Yup. There is just something about how Bungie makes their games that makes watching speed runs and just exploration in them fun. I haven't followed any of that stuff with halo 4. Was there any cool hidden eggs and cool speed run tricks for it?

TheXbox

Yup. There is just something about how Bungie makes their games that makes watching speed runs and just exploration in them fun. I haven't followed any of that stuff with halo 4. Was there any cool hidden eggs and cool speed run tricks for it?
I haven't watched any Halo 4 runs but it sounds like some people are doing cool stuff in it. The game is already a little glitchy and it has a pretty massive sandbox, so I have to imagine that leaves a lot of room for optimization and tricks. Most of the easter eggs I know of in Halo 4 are weird enemy and weapon spawns that you can trigger, which I can actually see working in favor of a speedrunner.

LATE EDIT: Watched the latest WR run of Halo 4. Game has a lot more broken level barriers than I thought, and they were heavily exploited. Reclaimer, Composer, and Midnight in particular are broken as fuck, and I never realized how much of a joke Dawn is.

Madness

So I've been given permission to talk about playing Cairo Station. Basically, it plays exactly like Halo 2. Shocking.

You played it at E3? What's 60 FPS like? How's the new audio? Were you impressed by the "work in progress" graphics up close? What did all the elites look like? From most videos, they look like Halo 4 Storm Elites.

Fuchsdh

And here I was listening to Nokyard talk about the glories of speedrunning.

Very fun run, I'm always amazed at what little tricks you can do to skip things. I usually wait for speedruns before I attempt my Legendary playthroughs of the Halo games :)

You played it at E3? What's 60 FPS like? How's the new audio? Were you impressed by the "work in progress" graphics up close? What did all the elites look like? From most videos, they look like Halo 4 Storm Elites.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were at this point. E3 presentation of CEA had lots of direct rips from Reach that were changed by the final product (and never forget E3 1999 throwback Chief.)

Fuchsdh

60FPS seemed really steady. I know some games look oddly smooth at 60fps - H2A looked natural but felt fluid. I didn't really get a good look at the Covenant designs, I focused more on the environment and the weapons, which looked really nice. Can't really recall the audio because the volume was turned down faily low so that people could talk to one another.

I was able to BXR and BXB. We were considering testing super bounces, but never ended up attempting anything.

Learned that there are around 30 skulls for H2A and that Steve Vai is recording his guitar parts again!

Shout out to Dennis Ries for being totally awesome.

Oh, my god. I just realized. Disc space probably isn't an issue.

Does this mean we can get mouth noise sound effects skull in this game?

(Also, there were what, 16 skulls in Halo 2? And I believe all of those include the Halo 3 ones. Then there's the CEA ones, which seem to be the preorder bonuses this time around. So are we getting a new skull for each level proper, along with a Terminal? There's a lot of levels in Halo 2...)

belushy

Banned
I'ma probably get Reach if it gets a little discount during the Xbox Summer sale (if there is one...) so I'll be ready to game that with a few of you if some of you still have it.

Top Bottom