• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HaloGAF |OT: Anniversary| So fades the great harvest of our betrayal.

I'm not sure what the point of making Cortana 'lost' again at the end of Halo 4 was to be honest. I mean, they have to bring her back in some way, because it's not Halo without her (and people will not be happy about it, more to the point) so why essentially do what they did at the end of Halo 2 again? I hope we don't have a repeat performance of Halo 3 where we have to rescue her again.

Also the Didact has to be back next time, I'm assuming, and surely this is all going to culminate in the flood returning so he can enact his plan to get rid of them (rather than the Librarian's of activating Halo). It's going to get pretty confusing when you have Covenant separatists, Covenant loyalists (Brutes etc.), Covenant crazy Elites who want to get Forerunner tech, Prometheans, the UNSC and the Flood. Would definitely be cool though.

Was there ever an explanation of how the flood were released on Delta Halo by the way? Because they were released on Installation 04 by the Covenant and then Gravemind is just chilling on Delta Halo when you rock up. Did they just take Covenant ships there, or did they get released from the containment areas somehow as well?

Either way, it would seem that the Flood were contained on more than one Installation, and I can't see it being likely that Gravemind brought every single Flood spore onto High Charity with him when he got exploded in Halo 3. This means that there are still 6 Halos full of Flood (since 04 and 04b were destroyed), but without the Ark can they even all be activated? Jesus...the story was convoluted enough before the Forerunner developments in recent books and Halo 4.

It is assumed Gravemind brought all the Flood with it and they were destroyed when Chief activated 4B.
Except for the spore on the Spirit of Fire

Fuchsdh

That would be cool... hmmmm, yeah.

Having all 5 games launching from the same hub would be SWEET!

Agreed. And if they did integrate in the campaign stuff into matchmaking, etc, I think it would do wonders for keeping MCC players happy and everyone migrating to new games because playing *old* ones would be so frictionless.

Nirvana

Except for the spore on the Spirit of Fire

Was this from the books? I've only read Fall of Reach, but I've tried to keep up with the fiction by way of the Wikis etc., simply because I have too much other stuff to read.

So the Flood are considered to be capable of coming back, likely along with the Gravemind (since it seems that each Gravemind retains the memories of the previous one)? Are they super far away from Earth/the rest of the action, or where is the Spirit of Fire located?.

Was this from the books? I've only read Fall of Reach, but I've tried to keep up with the fiction by way of the Wikis etc., simply because I have too much other stuff to read.

So the Flood are considered to be capable of coming back, likely along with the Gravemind (since it seems that each Gravemind retains the memories of the previous one)? Are they super far away from Earth/the rest of the action, or where is the Spirit of Fire located?.

From issue 6 of the Escalation comic. We have no clue where the SoF is, just that it went missing after Halo Wars (2531) and that in the few images we do see from the cryo bay (now empty, despite it being almost full at the end of Halo Wars) there is at least one Flood spore, and it is heading toward a planet that we can't really identify.

Nirvana

Mostly speculation, but some of it might be spoilers if you haven't played the campaign...

My guess for Halo 5 is that it will be about John trying to find Halsey, so he can fix Cortana. Meanwhile we will likely see the return of the Flood, the Didact trying to compose humanity into Prometheans in order to combat them, and possibly more information/the appearance of the Precursors.

They are just missing too many characters for it to be Halo at the moment. Some of which obviously have ways of returning, but who the hell wants to see Palmer in a main role. Also this Locke guy better not be playable over the Arbiter. I am really desperate for some Covenant separatist missions as the Arbiter, with Hunters and Grunts on your side and the reintroduction of Brutes into the mix. Just give us as many factions as possible...just because.

Maybe we're actually getting a three-way split this time with Chief, the Arbiter and Locke. Chief's campaign emphasizes isolation and exploration culminating in him finding some of the old money extragalactic Forerunners (non-Didactic, use the old aesthetic) and features more classic gameplay. Arbiter's campaign is more politics and making things right on Sanghelios, with the Arbiter trying to consolidate his beliefs on the old and new Forerunners. He could also find
a downed Spirit of Fire on a now-infected planet and ally with the survivors, if any.
Locke's campaign is more modern Halo, featuring the Covenant remnant, Didact's Prometheans and possibly the Insurrection. It's more linear but allows for weapon customization and is filled to the brim with story content involving the human element of the plot including ONI, similar to how Halo 4 had terminals in addition to an abundance of smaller hidden snippets.

nillapuddin

Modern game marketing: SCREW OVER EVERYBODY! Much profit. So 2014. Wow skulls.

Unrelated, but cool Halo thing.

me gusta, I remember theorizing a few years ago when the 360 Waypoint app added the ability to launch (if you owned them digitally) any of the available Halo titles from a single page.

That was the idea that always kept driving me to the alternate Halo universe where SP and MP could live independently of eachother, SP being multi year add-ons and the MP being a persistent feature set.

Could we see a world where the digital copy of the game comes with all pre-order content, regardless if it is retailer specific?

Im guessing that sort of move would be too bold and would piss off the retailers, either way, I hope someone finds the balls for it soon.

Competa

Banned
Ok, my opinion on how halo 5 Will go.

John is searching for Halsey AND, that thing that librarian gave to her which could find any forerunner technology ever created in the universe. Then it struck me, isn't cortana a little bit forerunner? That would mean he could find her scattered parts and take it to Halsey so she can fix her. There, halo 5 plot spoiled.

Brojito

Neo Member
I wished they had taken this approach. Forerunners are back, but you don't know why. Cortana long gone due to rampancy (maybe she self destructs to prevent it or found some kind if forerunner containment doohickey on the forerunner structure they crash on but leaves pre recorded messages to MC.

They could then have this 50 (or even 150) year period - where humanity rebuilds, the covenant gets more fleshed out, humanity encounters forerunners - that could be explored in fiction and game spin offs. And you don't have to drive a cool forerunner artifact that you only barely get to explore into the sun.

As it is the timing just feels off, an example being Thorne more torn up about a city versus the near extinction of humanity.

I would have loved this too. Hell, maybe even keep MC in cryo for 100+ years, if they were ballsy enough to do it.

I think that could have made for one awesome story, with MC waking up to a galaxy that's almost totally unknown again, where the Spartan program has long since shut down and he's almost a mythical figure, and Cortana is just gone. Imagine waking up on a crashed FOD on some unknown world to complete silence.

Even if they did bring back the Covenant again, it wouldn't feel as much as a retread as it did in Halo 4, because they would have the opportunity to totally reinvent them and show how they've changed over the years. Maybe introduce some newly discovered alien races to the Covenant, or just as their own faction. Even the humans might be wildly different.

But instead, MC gets woken up barely after he goes into cryo, and we're on yet another Forerunner structure, fighting the same old Covenant, with the same old sandbox (plus a couple new weapons and vehicles). Two out of the three new enemies are, gameplay-wise, pretty similar to old enemies with a gimmick or two thrown in.

I mean, I get why they took the story in that direction. I just feel like it really took away from the potential creative freedom they could have had with the other approach.

Also I really can't muster any amount of interest in the direction the current story is going. I couldn't care less about the Halo EU, and any potential directions for the storyline now just seem really boring, tbh. (if someone wants to tell me why its not, I'd love to be convinced otherwise)

aj1467

He's inside a ship so that would be interesting to see.

I wish I knew if Spark is tracking down the Librarian or Chant-To-Green. Chant would lead to the IsoDidact since they left together after the reseeding. Gimmie dat Didact v Didact showdown!!

I just realised that since Spark was able to place himself in that ship like a UNSC AI, that means he could be placed into Chief's armour like Cortana was too... Right?

Hmm.

TCKaos

edit: In addition, Johnson in ODST and the Reach gamestop armor should become open downloads. Many people that pre-ordered ODST didn't even get him due to Gamestops running out of cards / not giving cards.

This has been the case with nearly all of my pre-order DLC. I never wound up getting my camo HAZOP and BR for Halo 4, and I had to go back to get my Reach armor codes. Both times they said it was because their computer system was down from giving out so many pre-order codes simultaneously.

I hope Guilty Spark makes an appearance in Halo 5. Mostly to see Chief's reaction.

My knowledge of Halo lore outside of the games is questionable at best, but upon reflection; wasn't that old animatronic boy Guilty Spark Lasoriggidized into tiny parts, and then further disentegrated by the explosion of the ark? Or was he retrieved by the mega corporation and turned into the 6 Million Dollar Robot? Actually I'm going to patent that.

Mistel

Banned
I just realised that since Spark was able to place himself in that ship like a UNSC AI, that means he could be placed into Chief's armour like Cortana was too... Right?

Hmm.
Well that does seem like something that could happen on guilty sparks search a ship isn't exactly suited to everything. You probably need a being to do your handy work in places you can't get to. Plus you would probably need a human to interact with technology that spark can't do.

Omni

My knowledge of Halo lore outside of the games is questionable at best, but upon reflection; wasn't that old animatronic boy Guilty Spark Lasoriggidized into tiny parts, and then further disentegrated by the explosion of the ark? Or was he retrieved by the mega corporation and turned into the 6 Million Dollar Robot? Actually I'm going to patent that.

I haven't read the books in a while and am kinda rusty. But IIRC there are multiple GS because of his origins or something or rather

Should probably go through the Forerunner Saga again before H5 comes out

I haven't read the books in a while and am kinda rusty. But IIRC there are multiple GS because of his origins or something or rather

Should probably go through the Forerunner Saga again before H5 comes out

Please excuse me, but my online technobabble is derogatory of my actual English skills. I had the help research what IIRC and GS means, and all I got on GS was something that those Africohoohadys from the jungle do to attempt to mate. They were fired immediately for uttering such an obsenity. Would you please confirm what GS means for me?

But aside from that, is there a chance he's alive and floating?

TheXbox

Part of me really hopes the Flood stay dead. Haven't read this Escalation comic but it doesn't sound good on that account. Every victory from Halo 3 has since been nullified, save for the Flood. They'll surely return, but it's nice to want things.

Omni

Please excuse me, but my online technobabble is derogatory of my actual English skills. I had the help research what IIRC and GS means, and all I got on GS was something that those Africohoohadys from the jungle do to attempt to mate. They were fired immediately for uttering such an obsenity. Would you please confirm what GS means for me?

But aside from that, is there a chance he's alive and floating?

IIRC = If I recall correctly
GS = Guilty Spark

And Guilty Spark is alive. Just not the one that MC encountered on Halo.

I'm the master of 3sks in swat.

This just made me think. How are custom games going to work? will options be blocked out based on map selected?

What options will the Anniversary Maps have?

Better yet are the Anniversary Maps weapons limited to Halo 2? It would be great to have some of the additional weapons that came with later titles added in.
Like the grenade launcher which my new political movement "Tubers4Tomorrow" feels needs representation in the MCC

Omni

A slight tangent. I really wanna see the Brutes in Halo 2:A. Surely they'd redesign them, right? It would be a bit disappointing to see Reach's monstrosities in there

A slight tangent. I really wanna see the Brutes in Halo 2:A. Surely they'd redesign them, right? It would be a bit disappointing to see Reach's monstrosities in there

Can't wait to see Mr Mohawk.

Mr._Mohawk_from_HGN.PNG

Omni

Spark is still the same as the one originally encountered on instillation 04.
Edit. For some reason I was remembering it as 'both' 343s being a part of the one entity (kinda like how Cortana could split herself up). But according to the wiki the one in the book was the one MC encountered on Halo? Odd. Perhaps I'm more rusty on this stuff than I first thought
Can't wait to see Mr Mohawk.

Mr._Mohawk_from_HGN.PNG

Yes! Especially in CGI!

It's kinda weird to be more excited about a 10 year old game over something like Destiny /shrugs

Brojito

Neo Member

In on the of the preview vids of Cairo Station I believe I remember one of the guys saying that the visually updated Elites would be an amalgamation of the Elites across the series, or something like that?

So does that mean the Brutes will look sorta like Halo 3/Halo Reach brutes rather than just updated versions of this:

Cañón_Brute_005.jpg

[
I didn't share this on HaloGAF for a reason. >_<

QUOTE=TheOddOne;118348769]The music out of nowhere at the end gets me. It’s like intro into some wub wub song.[/QUOTE]
Honestly, I quickly put together the ending because I couldn't be bothered to find a way to edit it right haha. The song at the end I felt was out of place, but it's the song I'm using for my video intro, so I thought it might work.

Probably could have sync'd it in better, but meh.

He has a decent voice. If it weren't for his excessive and quite frankly embarrassing love for Microsoft I'd be tempted to sub. Oh well
At least I was upfront with my preference for the Xbox brand, haha.

I dislike my voice, Especially when I record, I haven't manage to make myself sound "natural", I always sound like I'm talking to a mic. Trying to work on it but it's hard.

Top Bottom